Lousy Server

brianweeks

If they need more money they could probably create a platinum membership with nothing more than the platinum tag on the forums for an additional four dollars a quarter and I bet lots of people would pay for it.

But a visit to Groundspeak headquarters proved to me that they aren't wasting money, nobody is rich and they are working on a ground up rewrite of the site. Anyone heard of Ver 2.0? I am glad they are taking their time on the rewrite as it will be well thought out and stable. (That is my hope anyway)

Create a new icon. Lots of icon slaves out there that would pay to get it. :D

Very much possible. But keep in mind that we are all having problems with the one site. The odds are that it is the site and not a bunch of users from all over creation.

Define "all". In the 6 or so years coming to the site, I have had, other then announced scheduled maintenance, may be 4 or 5 times I have had a problem getting in. Other then one incident a couple weeks ago where it lasted about an hour, usually I simply just refresh or wait a couple minutes on each incident and get right in. And I am in almost, if not, daily.

I won't go as far as to say it is absolutely not the site, however it is quite possible that there is an issue farther down the line that could affect users (even in different regions) that is causing the problem and is out of Groundspeaks control.

As to comments about money being an issue, I don't think they are getting rich. nor to I think it is a cause here. Having said that, I think if they did decide they needed to do an increase, I think they could do significantly more that 10% and not really have that many leave as a result. Just a little more whining.

All as in all of us who have mentioned having issues with the site. I have not logged every time I have an issue but I'll bet it is a couple of times a week. Not sure how long they last as I usually go on to other things and come back to it later. I find it hard to believe that of all the places I surf to on line that GC.com is the one that gives me the most trouble, 90 percent, and it not be site related.

If they need more money they could probably create a platinum membership with nothing more than the platinum tag on the forums for an additional four dollars a quarter and I bet lots of people would pay for it.

But a visit to Groundspeak headquarters proved to me that they aren't wasting money, nobody is rich and they are working on a ground up rewrite of the site. Anyone heard of Ver 2.0? I am glad they are taking their time on the rewrite as it will be well thought out and stable. (That is my hope anyway)

Ah yes, the rumored v2.0. Anyone have any idea how that is going?

Create a new icon. Lots of icon slaves out there that would pay to get it. :D

I might be convinced to pony up a couple of extra bucks if I was given the option of keeping my find count private. But that is a different topic, forget I said anything.

Define "all". In the 6 or so years coming to the site, I have had, other then announced scheduled maintenance, may be 4 or 5 times I have had a problem getting in.

Just FYI, there are entire organizations built on the concept of denial of a problem, most end in the word anonymous.

There are simply too many people having issues to deny a problem.

Define "all". In the 6 or so years coming to the site, I have had, other then announced scheduled maintenance, may be 4 or 5 times I have had a problem getting in.

Just FYI, there are entire organizations built on the concept of denial of a problem, most end in the word anonymous.

I could be wrong but I think that most of the organizations with names that end in anonymous are for folks who recognize they have a problem and are trying to do something about said problem. :D

I went back and read through the thread and think I have a better handle on the issue, especiallyh after your response. I think this might help resolve the issue for you.

I'm actually pretty happy with most of the improvements made over the years. I just wish that during busy server times Premium members would have preferred access to the site and freebie members would be bumped off. Reserve 60 to 80% of the server bandwidth for premium memberships only.

Note: This is in reference to the FORUM software, not the geocaching.com software performance...

Regarding the web site itself, I've been off and on it all day with no issues today. Are you still experiencing problems with the web site today or still just complaining about a day or two ago? (Actually curious, not trying to be smart.)

My guess is that some of the down time might be related to this:

I'll elaborate on my "site is slow" comment a little. Microsoft had 12 hotfixes for us to apply and surprise of surprises, they aren't working right.

Until we're able to sort out the issue I'm afraid you'll experience various levels of site performance from "slow but usable" to "omg shoot me". Everything is dropped here until we're back online 100%. Thank you for your patience.

Maybe they are trying to re-apply some of the code changes since the roll-back right before the US Memorial Day holiday weekend and GW7? The site goes off-line as they upload code. They do it during the day during the week so if there are issues they can roll it back or attempt quick fixes. I am guessing, but that might be a good guess don't you think?

I can only speak for myself, but here is my reality. I tried to get in to respond to this very thread (honest!) at 7:34 pm (all times in CST)

7:34 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

Retry #1

7:38 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

Retry #2

7:41 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

Retry #3

7:42 IPS Driver Error

SQL error: Can't create a new thread (errno 12). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

SQL error code:

Retry #4

7:43 IPS Driver Error

SQL error: Can't create a new thread (errno 12). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

SQL error code:

Retry #5

7:44 Finally... got in.

This is NOT uncommon in the least. I would almost say that it is the norm here for the past month or more.

I will frankly be surprised if this response doesn't time out as well.

I am not trying to be a smart*ss here... and I do not wish to get "scolded" (OK, pretty weak scolding, but you get my drift, I'm sure) by the PTB again... I am only trying to help you guys see our reality. Some of us are here in an honest effort to assist other cachers and this is getting very very frustrating and we'd like something a bit stronger than "we're working on it".

Thanks for listening.

PS: I would be glad to keep more stats like the above if asked.

Edited by knowschad

Regarding the web site itself, I've been off and on it all day with no issues today. Are you still experiencing problems with the web site today or still just complaining about a day or two ago? (Actually curious, not trying to be smart.)

My guess is that some of the down time might be related to this:

I'll elaborate on my "site is slow" comment a little. Microsoft had 12 hotfixes for us to apply and surprise of surprises, they aren't working right.

Until we're able to sort out the issue I'm afraid you'll experience various levels of site performance from "slow but usable" to "omg shoot me". Everything is dropped here until we're back online 100%. Thank you for your patience.

Maybe they are trying to re-apply some of the code changes since the roll-back right before the US Memorial Day holiday weekend and GW7? The site goes off-line as they upload code. They do it during the day during the week so if there are issues they can roll it back or attempt quick fixes. I am guessing, but that might be a good guess don't you think?

I can only speak for myself, but here is my reality. I tried to get in to respond to this very thread (honest!) at 7:34 pm (all times in CST)

7:34 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

Retry

7:38 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

7:41 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

7:42 IPS Driver Error

SQL error code:

7:43 IPS Driver Error

SQL error code:

7:44 Finally... got in.

This is NOT uncommon in the least. I would almost say that it is the norm here for the past month or more.

I will frankly be surprised if this response doesn't time out as well.

I am not trying to be a smart*ss here... and I do not wish to get scolded by the PTB again... I am only trying to help you guys see our reality. Some of us are here in an honest effort to assist other cachers and this is getting very very frustrating and we'd like something a bit stronger than "we're working on it".

Thanks for listening.

PS: I would be glad to keep more stats like the above if asked.

Just got one. Took a screenshot. I will see if I can get it up on here soon.

Actually their web server software (Apache, or IIS or whatever) is almost certainly logging every one of the errors. They know what's happening. I just want to get them to understand what it is really like on our end. We are trying to participate and only getting more and more frustrated as the problem gets increasingly worse, and also that Mtn-Man's experience may not be the norm.

Actually, the messages that I'm posting tonight should probably be moved to the Forum Timeouts thread but I have been replying to Mtn-Man's message that he wasn't seeing any problem on the 12th.

Just tried replying to a message in the Geocaching Topics forum.

8:30 45 sec timout - retry

8:31 45 sec timout - retry

8:32 45 sec timout - retry

8:33 45 sec timout - retry

8:34 45 sec timout - retry

8:36 45 sec timout - retry

8:38 45 sec timout - retry

8:39 45 IPS Driver Error- retry

8:41 45 sec timout - retry

8:43 45 sec timout - retry

8:43 45 IPS Driver Error- retry

8:45 (15 minutes later) In at last!

Edited by knowschad

or this

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

Whatever that is?

Edited by Pat in Louisiana

9:09 pm : replied to last message

9:14 pm : GCI error: The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

9:15: back in and able to see that my reply did indeed post. Most people hit Refresh here and cause a double post.

Actually their web server software (Apache, or IIS or whatever) is almost certainly logging every one of the errors. They know what's happening. I just want to get them to understand what it is really like on our end. We are trying to participate and only getting more and more frustrated as the problem gets increasingly worse, and also that Mtn-Man's experience may not be the norm.

Opinionate has mentioned that the PTB also have problems in the office. They know there are problems. I just can't understand what is taking the time to fix the problem. For over six months there have been sporadic comments about moving to new forum software. It must be extremely complex to move to new forum software or the manpower is lacking to do the job.

Jim

It must be extremely complex to move to new forum software or the manpower is lacking to do the job.

Having been peripherally involved in a forum software migration, I know that it's a very complex operation if you do anything more advanced than going to a new version of the same software. Every forum package has a different representation of a forum, subforum, thread, and post.

It's particularly difficult when the forums are considered to be part of the collective folk wisdom (some might prefer simply "memory" :laughing:) of a community, which is the case here.

Sadly, the forum users exacerbate the problem.

If everyone stopped posting complaints about the forum server performance AND if everyone stopped posting sarcastic/caustic/pointless comments in ALL of the threads, the message volume would probably be cut in half.

Performance would improve. And as knowschad says, those that want to help fellow geocachers could do it.

or this

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

Whatever that is?

I can tell you right now that php is not set up as it should be on the server. Under no condition is it advisable to be showing the end user the php error codes.

If everyone stopped posting complaints about the forum server performance AND if everyone stopped posting sarcastic/caustic/pointless comments in ALL of the threads, the message volume would probably be cut in half.

Performance would improve. And as knowschad says, those that want to help fellow geocachers could do it.

I doubt it, but that would be nice wouldn't it...

I doubt it, but that would be nice wouldn't it...

I doubt it as well. I've been watching the logged user count for a while now and I sure don't seem to see any correlation with the timeouts and slowdowns. If that were the case, the answer would be obvious: shut down the Off Topic forum :D