Cell phone suggestions

I'm no sure about the BlackBerry Storm (some have said Verizon unlocks the GPS on this phone), but I had the Curve and it was very accurate, but as Starbrand said, they're not very durable.

Plus, as noted, Verizon may lock the GPS on others, so it all could be a moot point.

If it's for your main caching GPS, I'd get a real GPS and not use a phone.

Edited by Skippermark

Want to do paperless caching, and am thinking a good cell phone (Verizon) would be the best. I have Vista on the computer. Any recommendations or warnings? Are they as accurate as a gps? Thanks for any advice.

Careful with Verizon. On my blackberry the GPS is locked out unless I pay a monthly fee. I understand that this might not be the case for the Curve, but I would ask to be sure.

I'm no sure about the BlackBerry Storm (some have said Verizon unlocks the GPS on this phone), but I had the Curve and it was very accurate, but as Starbrand said, they're not very durable.

Plus, as noted, Verizon may lock the GPS on others, so it all could be a moot point.

If it's for your main caching GPS, I'd get a real GPS and not use a phone.

They have it locked on the 7250 and the "world phone". It seems that there has been a change of policy internally at Verizon so the newer phones have been unlocked. I haven't been able to get any information from them (and I call the enterprise support line, not the regular line) but I suspect that they just had enough complaints coming in to change it.

I use a BlackBerry Curve 8330 with Cacheberry installed. Completely paperless and PC-less if you want. I won't go into all the features and benefits here. It is a very compete setup. No other hardware or software needed.

Do you have Verizon?

<s>I think only Verizon has the **30 series of phones in the US.</s>

Nevermind, I think verizon is the 50 series.... I could be wrong. ;)

Edited by Arrow42

I use a BlackBerry Curve 8330 with Cacheberry installed. Completely paperless and PC-less if you want. I won't go into all the features and benefits here. It is a very compete setup. No other hardware or software needed.

Do you have Verizon?

I have Sprint. There is no lockout on the GPS.

Somewhere in this forum I read that Verison seems to be changing their lockout policy.

I'm currently looking at going to a Blackberry or other smart phone for paperless caching (will still use Garmin handheld for navigation to cache site). The one thing I have found with Verizon (and I currently have their service, just basic phone/text) is that figuring out which plan includes what and how many options I have to add on was confusing as all get-out -- it changed based on which type of phone, which plan level, etc. I am seriously including Sprint -- they have a 1500 minutes family plan with unlimited data (GPS turn-by-turn, email, web, mobile TV, etc.) for $130 for the 1st 2 lines. For a similar plan with Verizon (1450 minutes) for the same phone (Blackberry 8330), it was going to be $180/month (I think -- I still wasn't sure after 20 minutes online and 20 minutes on the phone with a rep, but it was going to be at least that much). Just sharing what I am learning.

Edited by mndvs737

I think prices vary by region. Here in CT, Sprint plans are the least expensive and give the most for your money, but I don't think they have as much coverage area.

I use AT&T and like it, but there are some weak areas but nothing terrible. When I had my BlackBerry, the phone was very "open" and you could do almost anything with it you wanted. Since switching to the iPhone, I've found they've "locked down" a lot more features than BlackBerry did.

Around here it seems Verizon has the best coverage, especially in remote areas. We were in Vermont recently and AT&T didn't even have 3G in the largest city in the state.

Just as a point of clarification, Verizon has unlocked the GPS on the Blackberry Storm. I use Geocache Navigator by Trimble and it is freakishly accurate (A-GPS kicks BUTT over unassisted GPS any day). I love it. I put my Storm in a clear plastic pouch when I cache so it won't get damaged. Works great.

Here's my question for you all: so far all my caching has been in town where I get a signal. This weekend I want to cache while camping where I may or may not have access to my data network. Does anyone out there know of a good app to download for data-less, cell-signal-less GPS for the Storm?

Thanks!

Just as a point of clarification, Verizon has unlocked the GPS on the Blackberry Storm. I use Geocache Navigator by Trimble and it is freakishly accurate (A-GPS kicks BUTT over unassisted GPS any day). I love it. I put my Storm in a clear plastic pouch when I cache so it won't get damaged. Works great.

Here's my question for you all: so far all my caching has been in town where I get a signal. This weekend I want to cache while camping where I may or may not have access to my data network. Does anyone out there know of a good app to download for data-less, cell-signal-less GPS for the Storm?

Thanks!

Check out http://www.cacheberry.com/ - I think you can load pocket quarries into the phone so a data connection would be unnecessary.

Disclaimer: I've not used it.

Just as a point of clarification, Verizon has unlocked the GPS on the Blackberry Storm. I use Geocache Navigator by Trimble and it is freakishly accurate (A-GPS kicks BUTT over unassisted GPS any day).

My curve on AT&T with Geocache Navigator was as accurate as my 60CSx, just a little bit slower (1/2 to 1 second maybe?) to update. The iPhone? Awesome features, but yesterday it couldn't get me closer than 62 to feet to a cache. Other times, it'll be spot on and have me 2 feet away.

Thanks!

Check out http://www.cacheberry.com/ - I think you can load pocket quarries into the phone so a data connection would be unnecessary.

Disclaimer: I've not used it.

Cachberry is the only Geocaching app I have ever used on my Curve. Its a very complete package, but I am not sure if it will address Nericksx needs. What do you mean by data-less, cell-signal-less GPS? I do most of my searching with BlackBerry maps. Cacheberry loads the cache coords into the maps program and the cache location appears on the map. But BlackBerry maps requires a connection to work.

Cacheberry does have a compass feature, but I have never tried using it without a signal.

Just as a note. I used my BlackBerry to cache while camping last weekend an had no problem getting a signal.

I use my Verizon Blackberry Storm solely for caching. I use BlackStar Navigation (like Cacheberry, only free) as my program of choice.

Using BlackStar on the Storm, there are options to have assisted GPS (GPS with added assistance of cell tower triangulation for more accuracy) enabled or disabled, though I simply keep it enabled. I can still and have hunted for caches without cell signal - so a signal is not required.

If you get a Blackberry from Verizon, you will have to get their BB Data Plan (~$30 month) which allows unlimited data transfer. This is incredibly useful for insta-logging finds on Geocaching.com, downloading maps with BBMaps or GoogleMaps, downloading .loc or .gpx files from Geocaching.com and/or receiving PQ's via email.

You also can get instant notifications via email of new caches, and when you do you'll always have your GPS with you.

I may be biased, but I love the system and it's completely paperless.

EDIT for clarification for nericksx: I don't know about Trimble's program, but with BlackStar I don't have to have cell signal to use the GPS functions. It imports .gpx files from direct downloads or from Pocket Queries and saves them (do this before you go camping - create a PQ for a number of caches in the area you expect to stay). When I'm out, I open up BlackStar and list the stored waypoints. It automatically filters them and lists them by closest cache distance. Then I select one to go after and hit the trail. No data and no cell signal needed, unless I want to log the cache directly on Geocaching.com. (Though you can still take field notes with B* too)

Edited by JU5TU5

JU5TU5: thanks so much for the info! I am on the 7 day free trial for Geocache Navigator and I was totally going to pony up the $40 for it - even though it won't do standalone GPS - but I will look into BlackStar! I installed Trekbuddy last night hoping that would be an answer, but it's WAY too complected to convert maps and waypoints. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm a point & shoot girl in this area. Geocaching is enough of a challenge enough without fighting with my software!

I use my Verizon Blackberry Storm solely for caching. I use BlackStar Navigation (like Cacheberry, only free) as my program of choice.

Using BlackStar on the Storm, there are options to have assisted GPS (GPS with added assistance of cell tower triangulation for more accuracy) enabled or disabled, though I simply keep it enabled. I can still and have hunted for caches without cell signal - so a signal is not required.

If you get a Blackberry from Verizon, you will have to get their BB Data Plan (~$30 month) which allows unlimited data transfer. This is incredibly useful for insta-logging finds on Geocaching.com, downloading maps with BBMaps or GoogleMaps, downloading .loc or .gpx files from Geocaching.com and/or receiving PQ's via email.

You also can get instant notifications via email of new caches, and when you do you'll always have your GPS with you.

I may be biased, but I love the system and it's completely paperless.

EDIT for clarification for nericksx: I don't know about Trimble's program, but with BlackStar I don't have to have cell signal to use the GPS functions. It imports .gpx files from direct downloads or from Pocket Queries and saves them (do this before you go camping - create a PQ for a number of caches in the area you expect to stay). When I'm out, I open up BlackStar and list the stored waypoints. It automatically filters them and lists them by closest cache distance. Then I select one to go after and hit the trail. No data and no cell signal needed, unless I want to log the cache directly on Geocaching.com. (Though you can still take field notes with B* too)

Edited by nericksx

I had valuable replies to my question on paperless caching. Now I am thinking of using a cell phone (Verizon) to cache. I have Vista on the computer. Any suggestions, recommendations or warnings? Thanks.

I have a T-mobile G1 (aka: google-phone) and it works so well I gave away my GPS unit to a friend who wanted to start caching.

Anywhere I am I can just search for nearby caches instantly and start hunting.

Just as an update:

This last weekend, I loaded Cacheberry (to my BB Storm) and downloaded the GPX file of 30 caches around the area where I was going to be camping. When we got to the campground I had no cell signal, no data network, however my GPS functioned in standalone mode just great. I never had fewer than 5 satellites and usually had around 8-10. Without access to a data network I couldn't pinpoint the cache coords on a map, so I had to navigate "old school." Or "new old school", as it were - with just GPS positioning data. But it worked great! We found 2 out of 3 and I honestly think the 3rd was muggled away. I bought one of those waterproof pouches at REI with a lanyard (since we were caching near a river) and I was able to attached it to my geo-pack with a carabiner. The only major bummer was battery life. My Storm doesn't have the greatest life to start with and GPS functionality is particularly battery intensive. Next time I'll be more careful about using the "pause tracking" function and bring a REAL compass so I don't have to use my BB the whole time!

Just as an update:

This last weekend, I loaded Cacheberry (to my BB Storm) and downloaded the GPX file of 30 caches around the area where I was going to be camping. When we got to the campground I had no cell signal, no data network, however my GPS functioned in standalone mode just great. I never had fewer than 5 satellites and usually had around 8-10. Without access to a data network I couldn't pinpoint the cache coords on a map, so I had to navigate "old school." Or "new old school", as it were - with just GPS positioning data. But it worked great! We found 2 out of 3 and I honestly think the 3rd was muggled away. I bought one of those waterproof pouches at REI with a lanyard (since we were caching near a river) and I was able to attached it to my geo-pack with a carabiner. The only major bummer was battery life. My Storm doesn't have the greatest life to start with and GPS functionality is particularly battery intensive. Next time I'll be more careful about using the "pause tracking" function and bring a REAL compass so I don't have to use my BB the whole time!

Great! Maybe when my company gets off their butts and upgrades my old 7250 I'll give it a try too. :D Roumer puts the release of the new blackberry on July 17, so I think I'll just hold my horses for that.

Well, as far as "Cell phones aren't rugged enough", don't worry about that. Every on of my finds (97 in 94 days) were done with a cell phone. You can just put a silicone skin on it with a lanyard, and you arn't too likely to damage it. The real problem with cell phones is that most of them don't have WAAS enabled GPS'rs.

I use a HTC Touch (Vogue). I think that windows mobile phones are a must. The free software available for windows mobile is un-paralleled in any other device (free or pay) (GateCacher, GCzII, and others).

If your GPSr in the phone is locked out, or you want WAAS, there are very inexpensive bluetooth GPSrs with exelent performance. I use a GlobalSat BT-821. Works amasing. (if you have trouble setting it up to work with your phone, look at my profile, or contact me.)

...He does all his caching from a phone and his coords have all been spot on. I have a windows mobile phone, with a GREAT free geocaching app. PM me if you want to know more.

I have a HTC Touch Windows Mobile smart phone (with U.S.Cellular as my carrier).

The app I use gives me access to the Geocaching site data either via GPX files or online.

The program can display your navigation either via Google Maps or a more typical GPS type screen.

Once you have found the cache, if you have online access (with Windows Mobile Internet), you can immediately log your find. When I was using it this last Sunday, I was getting better than 3 meter accuracy with it.

DrRounds2

Well, as far as "Cell phones aren't rugged enough", don't worry about that. Every on of my finds (97 in 94 days) were done with a cell phone. You can just put a silicone skin on it with a lanyard, and you arn't too likely to damage it. The real problem with cell phones is that most of them don't have WAAS enabled GPS'rs.

I use a HTC Touch (Vogue). I think that windows mobile phones are a must. The free software available for windows mobile is un-paralleled in any other device (free or pay) (GateCacher, GCzII, and others).

If your GPSr in the phone is locked out, or you want WAAS, there are very inexpensive bluetooth GPSrs with exelent performance. I use a GlobalSat BT-821. Works amasing. (if you have trouble setting it up to work with your phone, look at my profile, or contact me.)

It sounds from the posts like BlackBerry might actually be ahead of WM at the moment. Hard to tell.

I tried going paperless with a Windows Mobile device (AT&T Tilt) and gave up.

Some apps couldn't even load a "medium" sized (100 caches instead of the 500 limit) PQ GPX - GPXSonar and GateCacher are in this category. GateCacher forced me to reset my phone after I got the spinning ball of death for 3-4 minutes.

BeeLineGPS was pretty close to what I wanted, but it would pop up a browser to view cache details and didn't have any sort of maps

I've heard good things about GCzII, but I've also seen some forum threads here imply that it might violate Groundspeak's TOS due to the way it retrieves cache data.

Cacheberry VS. Navigator by Trimble for Blackberry.

Ok, I need all your feedback again :laughing: I started out using Geocache Navigator but when I realized that it wouldn't even launch unless you had a data connection, I uninstalled the trial in favor of Cacheberry. I think Cacheberry is great and I love the compass feature better than the one on Navigator. HOWEVER, now that I'm back in town (and back in data-plan range) I do miss the ability Navigator has to pinpoint my location and display all the caches within a radius. I don't really want to fork over $55 to two pieces of software, one for in town and one for in the boonies. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Nericksx

The only blackberry app that will give you direct access to geocaching.com's database is Navigator. For the Iphone, Groudnsdpeak created their own app. Groundspeak does not have a public API to access their database so all other 3rd party apps are limited to using pocket queries.

One solution I like is bcaching.com. It is a website where you can load your pocket queries and access the information from a web enabled phone. It will give you an email address where you can send your PQ directly and load automatically. So set up your PQ to go to that email and set it to run daily, or weekly, and it will always be up to date within a few days.

BlackStar for the Blackberry is integrated with bcaching.com so that you can load the closest 20 caches to your location into BlackStar.

bcaching.com and BlackStar are both free. The only expense is the premium account on geocaching.com so you can run PQs

Edited by CookCrew
The only blackberry app that will give you direct access to geocaching.com's database is Navigator. For the Iphone, Groudnsdpeak created their own app. Groundspeak does not have a public API to access their database so all other 3rd party apps are limited to using pocket queries.

One solution I like is bcaching.com. It is a website where you can load your pocket queries and access the information from a web enabled phone. It will give you an email address where you can send your PQ directly and load automatically. So set up your PQ to go to that email and set it to run daily, or weekly, and it will always be up to date within a few days.

BlackStar for the Blackberry is integrated with bcaching.com so that you can load the closest 20 caches to your location into BlackStar.

bcaching.com and BlackStar are both free. The only expense is the premium account on geocaching.com so you can run PQs

Cacheberry can also load the 25 closest caches. In compass mode choose Web Search. Your browser will open showing a GC.com page that lists the closest caches.

It is also possible to pinpoint your location and the location of caches provided you have the caches imported into Cacheberry. Tag the caches you are interested in, choose BlackBerry maps from the menu and the locations of the tagged caches will be displayed on the map. From the BB maps menu choose Start GPS Navigation and your location will also appear.

It sounds from the posts like BlackBerry might actually be ahead of WM at the moment. Hard to tell.

Some apps couldn't even load a "medium" sized (100 caches instead of the 500 limit) PQ GPX - GPXSonar and GateCacher are in this category. GateCacher forced me to reset my phone after I got the spinning ball of death for 3-4 minutes.

BeeLineGPS was pretty close to what I wanted, but it would pop up a browser to view cache details and didn't have any sort of maps

I've heard good things about GCzII, but I've also seen some forum threads here imply that it might violate Groundspeak's TOS due to the way it retrieves cache data.

GCzII retrieves cache data the same way they all do. Don't know if it violates the TOS or not.

As for GateCacher, have you tried one of the newer versions. It was compleatly re-built recently. I don't use PQ so I don't know. With windows mobile, PQ are kind of antiquated. Spontanious caching is much more, well spontanious. Who wants to download big PQs all the time. Just pull up all the caches near by, or all the ones near where you are wanting to do some caching. I am not even sure if GCzII can do PQs at all. It is realy ment for spontanious caching.

Why on earth would you give up going paperless. Maybe your problem was you were not trying to go cableless. When I was going paperless, but not cableless, I used BasicGPS. Work good, but is realy basic. I use it for our (Alberta's) benchmarking equivalent (Brass Caps). We have a huge 365 item GPX file and it workes great. Thinking of that, the newest version of GCzII has a GPX feature, but it wouldn't import this file properly. Now this file is made by a local cacher, so may not be entirely properly formated.

GCzII retrieves cache data the same way they all do. Don't know if it violates the TOS or not.

I think I was the one who started that - I was speculating based on the fact that they were deleting any links to the program. I also theorized that they might be using the logo in violation of trademarks, or some such.

As for GateCacher, have you tried one of the newer versions. It was compleatly re-built recently. I don't use PQ so I don't know. With windows mobile, PQ are kind of antiquated. Spontanious caching is much more, well spontanious. Who wants to download big PQs all the time. Just pull up all the caches near by, or all the ones near where you are wanting to do some caching. I am not even sure if GCzII can do PQs at all. It is realy ment for spontanious caching.

Why on earth would you give up going paperless. Maybe your problem was you were not trying to go cableless. When I was going paperless, but not cableless, I used BasicGPS. Work good, but is realy basic. I use it for our (Alberta's) benchmarking equivalent (Brass Caps). We have a huge 365 item GPX file and it workes great. Thinking of that, the newest version of GCzII has a GPX feature, but it wouldn't import this file properly. Now this file is made by a local cacher, so may not be entirely properly formated.

"they all" - There are very few applications that can dynamically retrieve caches (as opposed to loading a GPX file from a PQ). GCzII is the only Windows Mobile one I know of.

The others I know of are GC's iPhone app, DeLorme Cache Register, and Trimble Geocache Navigator, which all use a private undocumented API provided by DeLorme to "trusted" developers, which so far appears to be defined as "internal GC development team and major GPS hardware vendors". (read, smalltime freeware developers like Geche are locked out.)

I gave up on going paperless with WM because of the previously stated deficiencies in each program I tried. GateCacher was the most recent download as of approximately 2 weeks ago. Anything that hangs my phone and requires a reset when loading a 100 cache GPX straight from Groundspeak doesn't get touched again for at least a year.

Regarding "spontaneous caching" - There is no way to do this without access to the aforementioned API or violating Groundspeak's TOU regarding screen scraping.

Now, paperless with a Garmin Oregon is a whole different story. :(

I had an idea I was thinking about trying. I have an inexpensive personal voice recorder I was considering putting in a cache. Instead of signing, finders can leave a short voice message.

If anyone has tried this or has any ideas on it, feel free to send a message.

pianoboy135

I had an idea I was thinking about trying. I have an inexpensive personal voice recorder I was considering putting in a cache. Instead of signing, finders can leave a short voice message.

If anyone has tried this or has any ideas on it, feel free to send a message.

pianoboy135

Hmm. even though "inexpensive", it's probably still "too valuable to be in a cache" - especially if it's the primary logging method.

Regarding "spontaneous caching" - There is no way to do this without access to the aforementioned API or violating Groundspeak's TOU regarding screen scraping.

So Cacheberry actually has a feature where you can "spontaneous cache" with your Blackberry. You can have it detect your coords then it will connect to gc.com and append the url with a search command and your coords. Then you can look through the listings and download the GPSx file or use the search to create a pocket query that you can email yourself, then open with Cacheberry. Admittedly, the UI and the process is clunkier than Trimble, but developer says he working with cg.com on an API agreement. That would make it smooth as silk.

ANOTHER QUESTION (sorry):

Since I'm new to caching and don't know how accurate a good GPS unit is supposed to be, I'd love some perspective/feedback.

Lately, my BB Storm has only been able to get me within 15-30 feet of a cache, regardless of the tree/building situation. I thought this was par for the technology until a friend with an Oregon told me she gets within 3-4 feet. Is my phone just going to be less accurate even though I have like 10 satellites? Is it the Cacheberry software? Can anyone give me any guidance?

Thanks so much!

Nicole

switch to t-mobile and get the g1. once you get it buy a protective case and screen protectors(solves the ruggedness problem) and it works great. I have been using it for caching, and you dont have to even hook it up to the computer to get caches. you can just get the geobeagle app and then go online and get any cache, or letter box for that matter, and you will be set.

switch to t-mobile and get the g1. once you get it buy a protective case and screen protectors(solves the ruggedness problem) and it works great. I have been using it for caching, and you dont have to even hook it up to the computer to get caches. you can just get the geobeagle app and then go online and get any cache, or letter box for that matter, and you will be set.

I recommend any HTC device. Crackberry has nothing on winmo anymore, especially since more corporate intranets are using exchange. I use both an HTC tilt and HTC FUZE, and you cant get any cheaper. If you have at&t for instance, and you are up for an upgrade the Fuze will run you around 200.00, the tilt (same as all the blackberry devices except the brandy new ones) are mostly free. Just sign a 2 year contract. The pros are obvious, free googlemaps pull you right up to a cache location, log your finds from the field etc. like you might have done w/ the previous phone you had. I recently had to shut off my data plan, but am still able to cache free of charge using cachemate and downloaded gpx files from the site. Also check out terracrosser for a freebie map program. It will download from google/yahoo maps, you set it up for how many zooms you want, and it downloads the (1000 screenshots average 2meg file) and converts them into a .map file. Wah LA! gmaps w/ no data plan.

nicole- i use windows mobile which is also a bit buggy, to make sure im ok w/ coordinates when placing a cache i actually will reboot my device twice and take around 7-8 readings each time. Also with a real handheld gpsr you get a +/- footage error display. It could be that due to humidity, trees, or landscape you are missing certain sats to bring your triangulation truely into a 3d lock. For instance, if you are not getting any southern satellites, you may find you are too far north/south. My advice would be to boot your phone with the bare minimum running in the background when caching, and when going from one cache to the next, or if your device has been on and running for days, try a reboot in between caches.

Edited by BareFeat

So Cacheberry actually has a feature where you can "spontaneous cache" with your Blackberry. You can have it detect your coords then it will connect to gc.com and append the url with a search command and your coords. Then you can look through the listings and download the GPSx file or use the search to create a pocket query that you can email yourself, then open with Cacheberry. Admittedly, the UI and the process is clunkier than Trimble, but developer says he working with cg.com on an API agreement. That would make it smooth as silk.

ANOTHER QUESTION (sorry):

Since I'm new to caching and don't know how accurate a good GPS unit is supposed to be, I'd love some perspective/feedback.

Lately, my BB Storm has only been able to get me within 15-30 feet of a cache, regardless of the tree/building situation. I thought this was par for the technology until a friend with an Oregon told me she gets within 3-4 feet. Is my phone just going to be less accurate even though I have like 10 satellites? Is it the Cacheberry software? Can anyone give me any guidance?

Thanks so much!

Nicole

It's hard to quantify what's "good" vs "bad", but in general, I've found the sensitivity and general performance of the Qualcomm GPSOne solution (used in nearly all phones with built-in GPS) to be pretty "meh". Slow lock times, poor sensitivity, etc.

My Oregon locks far faster than my AT&T Tilt on anything, and performs better in general. Neither of them can touch my MTKv2-based Bluetooth puck though.

That said, the Oregon carries great benefits for caching due to having an integrated electronic compass in addition to a decent GPS receiver.

It's hard to quantify what's "good" vs "bad", but in general, I've found the sensitivity and general performance of the Qualcomm GPSOne solution (used in nearly all phones with built-in GPS) to be pretty "meh". Slow lock times, poor sensitivity, etc.

My Oregon locks far faster than my AT&T Tilt on anything, and performs better in general. Neither of them can touch my MTKv2-based Bluetooth puck though.

That said, the Oregon carries great benefits for caching due to having an integrated electronic compass in addition to a decent GPS receiver.

Yeah, the lock time on my BB Storm can be like 15 minutes. It's interesting that your puck is faster the Oregon. OTOH, and Oregon is $400 and my BB was basically free with my cell plan, so... I'm gonna keep sucking up the 15 minute lock times. :D

Yeah, the lock time on my BB Storm can be like 15 minutes. It's interesting that your puck is faster the Oregon. OTOH, and Oregon is $400 and my BB was basically free with my cell plan, so... I'm gonna keep sucking up the 15 minute lock times. :D

Holy crap. 15 min, really?

I've been hoping the BB storm I bought would be good enough to replace the Triton 400 I currently own. Maybe not if what your saying is accurate!

Holy crap. 15 min, really?

I've been hoping the BB storm I bought would be good enough to replace the Triton 400 I currently own. Maybe not if what your saying is accurate!

Well, I'm trying to figure out what the deal is. Here's the timeline of my experience:

1) Downloaded trial of Trimble Geocache Navigator --> GPS seemed perfectly quick, worked like a charm. But, it needs a data connection just to friggin load. So....

2) Downloaded trial of Cacheberry --> This seemed to work like a CHARM. It would pause for a few seconds then bam - coords. But it seemed to get a little slow when I took it camping, out of data range. So...

3) I bring it back to town with my AGPS and data and everything --> it takes maybe a minute to get a lock.

4) We go camping again where there is no data and the terrain makes getting a lock sketchy for anyone --> it takes 15 friggin minutes to get a lock sometimes. The min time to get a lock the while time we were in sticks was a couple of minutes.

5) We get back to civilization --> I just walked outside to do a test for ya: 8 seconds.

So.... sometimes I feel like it just has "bad satellite days." I think the software you're using makes a difference too.

I'm also doing a lot of research and testing to get a good combo of software that lets me pull data off gc.com AND give me a good offline map to GPS by. I like Cacheberry a lot. I'm experimenting with TrekBuddy to see if it will give me the offline mapping I need.

I also bought a Solio solar recharger to hook on to my pack and hook my Storm up to when I'm camping. That works awesome.

I had valuable replies to my question on paperless caching. Now I am thinking of using a cell phone (Verizon) to cache. I have Vista on the computer. Any suggestions, recommendations or warnings? Thanks.

Beware of any ATT phone, except WinMo's and maybe Blackberrys. It is almost impossible to get 3rd party software on them. Almost all are "Java-enabled" but very few, if any will let you actually install 3rd party stuff without paying for a data plan (and I'm not real sure about that, even).

Yeah, the lock time on my BB Storm can be like 15 minutes. It's interesting that your puck is faster the Oregon. OTOH, and Oregon is $400 and my BB was basically free with my cell plan, so... I'm gonna keep sucking up the 15 minute lock times. :drama:

Keep in mind this particular puck was $80-90 or so alone...

The MTK2 chipset in my puck is generally considered to be the "top dog" nowadays. It appears future Garmins will be using it, they just issued a press release to that regard a month or two ago.

My guess is that STMicro promised a lot with the Cartesio chipset (getting them an "in" with the Oregons and DeLorme PN-40) but then failed to deliver.