help with nanos!

luv2run12782

Okay, so first of all, this is ridiculously addictive. I started on friday and have found nearly 20 caches.

I really enjoy challenging myself with nanos, but am still working on my honing skills. Just curious, any tips for finding nanos? It seems that the majority of caches in my area are nanos and I would like to become more successful with them!

This is true. A couple of the nanos were not that hard to find, just easily overlooked. I found one today the size of a watch battery! But when it looks like a nail or a screw it's pretty tough to notice (which is the point.)

By the way HHH, I lived in Greensboro for a year, not far from you! Some friends turned me onto it there. I actually found your geocaching youtube posts before finding you on here. Very informative for a beginner like me. Thanks!

Edited by luv2run12782
This is true. A couple of the nanos were not that hard to find, just easily overlooked. I found one today the size of a watch battery! But when it looks like a nail or a screw it's pretty tough to notice (which is the point.)

If you can find one of those I don't think you need advice from us. Heck, I still can't find those things.

I agree: the nanos are killing me!

I work downtown Providence, and there have been some very generous people who hid a ton of nanos. I keep looking for them, but ugh. Last weekend I found my first two caches (one teensy-tijny nano and one larger), and it was OK. When I am on top of the icon on my GPSr's screen I look and look. But for some reason I haven't gotten the hang of where people hide them.

Still, I went out again today -- and got skunked -- but I can't seem to resist spending all my lunchhours out and about. :7)

I find that most times, nanos are kind of easy. For the most part they are magnetic, sooo.. they are usually found on things that are magnetic. This rules out a lot of things at first if you're searching, say in a rock garden that has one lone mettalic sign. One three seperate occassions I've walked right up to the nano and found it. On another I looked for less than 5 minutes.

However, there are more creative ones out there that people have made that aren't magnetic. My best advice, check the magnetic metallics first. Then expand from there.

I miss more of those than I ever spot - so if you ever find a good search method - let me know.

Actually I find blinkers easier to spot than bison tubes in shrubbery. At least you know they're magnetic. Unless they hide it on, say, a train car...

I’m allergic to those darn shrubs so I added a Mogul Security Seeker Compact Metal Detector to my bag for bison tubes in the bushes. E-bay for 30 dollars –vs- 160+ retail

I’m allergic to those darn shrubs so I added a Mogul Security Seeker Compact Metal Detector to my bag for bison tubes in the bushes. E-bay for 30 dollars –vs- 160+ retail

I've been thinking about doing that! Does it work well? Is this the exact model you got? Can't find it on eBay but there's bunch of others when I searched for security scanner.

Sorry for the slight OT. However, some do consider bison tubes as nanos, and I have come across blinkies hidden among non metallic objects where such a scanner might be useful.

However, some do consider bison tubes as nanos,
Yep. Except for the "Scuba Tank" and "Extra Large" sizes, bison tubes have room for only a custom-fit log sheet.

and I have come across blinkies hidden among non metallic objects where such a scanner might be useful.
Yep. There's a local who is known for drilling holes in rocks and then gluing blinkers in the holes.

I always considered what there as a blinker as the definition of a nano and pretty much anything bigger than that a micro.

The closest in size that I found was a small diameter metal tube that had a rubber cap on each end and a small earth magnet epoxied to the side. It was about the same diameter as a blinky but about twice as long. I've never seen a container like it since, and since that was was in South Africa it might just be a regional thing.