How long do you wait to contact a friend?

I just emailed a cache owner a few days ago about a puzzle cache. It was a math puzzle, and it looked like complete gibberish to me. I asked the owner for a hint; not a solution, just a clue as to what on earth I was looking at. His answer, "Algebra." Sadly, algebra and I are strangers in this world. I honestly have never even seen an algebra equation before. I suspect I won't be solving this one any time soon.

I've called cache owners about their hides on 3 occasions.

I'm not sure on the "how long" - long enough that we'd been hunting and not finding for quite a while. Naturally, on 2 of the 3 occasions, I found the cache moments after calling the owner and just BEFORE they started giving me more info. The third one I probably never would have found without owner info.

I've never called a cacher who was not the cache owner.

Several times I've been looking for a cache, give up and call the owner. While the phone was ringing in my ear I would spot the cache. When the CO answered I would thank them for their help :laughing:

Now I don't even bother dialing anyone. I just hold the phone to my ear. Sadly this doesn't work as well :anibad:

I've never contacted anyone yet

Same here.

Me too. I've never used PAF or EAO.

Oops, thought of one time I did. I was heading out on a hunt for a multi that involved a 12 mile hike over some pretty rugged terrain. THe week before a group of experienced geocachers DNFed the 4th stage about

7 miles into the hunt. I did e-mail the owner before I left for a better hint. It was no help because I DNFed the same stage.

I've never contacted anyone yet

Same here.

Me too. I've never used PAF or EAO.

Oops, thought of one time I did. I was heading out on a hunt for a multi that involved a 12 mile hike over some pretty rugged terrain. THe week before a group of experienced geocachers DNFed the 4th stage about

7 miles into the hunt. I did e-mail the owner before I left for a better hint. It was no help because I DNFed the same stage.

Talking to the CO doesn't equate to the phone-a-friend network. At least not in my book.

I just emailed a cache owner a few days ago about a puzzle cache. It was a math puzzle, and it looked like complete gibberish to me. I asked the owner for a hint; not a solution, just a clue as to what on earth I was looking at. His answer, "Algebra." Sadly, algebra and I are strangers in this world. I honestly have never even seen an algebra equation before. I suspect I won't be solving this one any time soon.

I love algebra (said in my best non-geek voice) :laughing: Too bad we aren't closer to NY.

We have asked for hints a few times from the CO ( after a DNF was posted) but other than that, not yet.

The last time I called for help was August 2007. I was part of a group trying to find a series of 50 or so caches in one day. Miss any one cache and you miss part of the information needed to find the final.

I don't recall calling for help during a solo hunt since 2004, when I was finding my 1000th cache. I felt afterwards like the assistance cheapened the thrill of my find. So, I don't do it anymore unless with a group where others choose to call for help.

I get more of a sense of accomplishment by finding the cache without help beyond what's on the cache page and in the logs -- even if it takes an hour at ground zero, or a return trip.