Say What You Want

Okay, so we have tried to find this cache 4 times now...and by we I mean my wife, myself and our 3 kids...yet we still can not get it. I have sent emails to the cache hider but their responses have gotten me no closer. What do you do when a cache is completely baffling you? I can not possibly spend more time searching for it but I hate to leave it as unfound. Someone please help us.

Okay, so we have tried to find this cache 4 times now...and by we I mean my wife, myself and our 3 kids...yet we still can not get it... I can not possibly spend more time searching for it but I hate to leave it as unfound. Someone please help us.

Oh dear. Sounds like the symptoms of addiction starting here. :P

Back away from your PC. Take two of these with a cool drink.

pillgeneral.jpg

Go and lie in a darkened room for an hour, repeating to yourself "I do not need to find every cache, I do not need to find every cache..."

Do not go near that cache site for at least 3 weeks.

Then go and try again!

MrsB :(

Okay, so we have tried to find this cache 4 times now...and by we I mean my wife, myself and our 3 kids...yet we still can not get it. I have sent emails to the cache hider but their responses have gotten me no closer. What do you do when a cache is completely baffling you? I can not possibly spend more time searching for it but I hate to leave it as unfound. Someone please help us.

From what I could tell from your finds, I didn't see any DNFs. Have you posted a DNF for the cache you can't find?

A lot of cache owners don't really like helping someone that's not post a DNF on the cache they are asking help on.

Personally, I'll help with or without a DNF and will usually ask the cacher, "Do you want a hint or a Solution?".

Just asking..

I would suggest stop looking for it for a little while, then go back after more finds. There's not substitute for experience - it does get easier.. :P

Just remember, "DNF" isn't a bad word....

Welcome to the Wild and Crazy World Of Geocaching. I see that you are relatively new to the sport. Like any sport you get better at it with experience. Read the logs of other cachers. Sometimes you can pick up additional hints. Expand your search area. You aren't going to find every cache at the exact coordinates that are listed for different reasons. My wife and I looked for one cache that was so well made to look like a part of the surroundings it took more then 1 try for us to find it. :P

... I can not possibly spend more time searching for it but I hate to leave it as unfound. Someone please help us.

I used to feel that way. I got over it. Just remember that geocaching is an activity that we do for enjoyment to unwind from all the other things that life does to wind us up. If you enjoy the challenge of finding that one cache that you can't find, great. Keep at it. If you don't, recognize this and go find other caches. If all of the sudden you have an epiphany on that hard to find cache by all means marshal the troops and go give it a shot. Just remember what you are in it for. If it's fun, don't lose sight of that.

If it is fun - return and continue the hunt.

If it is not - ignore it and move on with life.

Either way - log your DNF logs. Micros can be mighty tricky!!

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

All I can say is.. :P Welcome to Geocaching :(

There was a 1/1 that took my wife and I 3 tries to find. There's another cache just over a mile from me that after 4 visits we still have not found it. It happens. There have been a couple dozen caches that the coords were not helping us so all we did (as StarBrand pointed out) is walk around the area thinking "If I was going to hide a cache it this area where would I hide it?". We looked in those spots and find it most of the time.

Sometimes the cache simply is not there.

It would be nice to find them all the first time you looked, but that is not going happen. That's why we are happy with every cache we find, because we know there are those that we will never find.

Like all games, you win some, you lose some, but the point of a game is to have fun. :D

We have 12 DNF's logged in, I was not aware however that I should log a DNF for the same cache more than once so I will make sure we do that in the future. THanks for th tip! We certainly appreciate the help as we are fairly new to this but are loving the time spent doing caching.

From what I could tell from your finds, I didn't see any DNFs. Have you posted a DNF for the cache you can't find?

A lot of cache owners don't really like helping someone that's not post a DNF on the cache they are asking help on.

Personally, I'll help with or without a DNF and will usually ask the cacher, "Do you want a hint or a Solution?".

Just asking..

I would suggest stop looking for it for a little while, then go back after more finds. There's not substitute for experience - it does get easier.. :)

Just remember, "DNF" isn't a bad word....

Someone please help us.

Don't try so hard. Allow yourself to step back and let it come to you. Put it away for a while before coming back to it.

The "a-ha!" moments are that much sweeter when you've done it yourself.

Couldn't agree more with CoyoteRed (did I really just say that? :)). Seriously, there have been geocaches that I have come back five or more times and you really can't beat the a-ha moment. Even if it is more of a Doh! moment.

Let it be and allow time for your brain to contemplate. You will be amazed how sometimes it will just pop out to you.

Above All Have fun!

-HHH :blink: