Multi stage payphone cache.

I am considering placing a themed (Die Hard) multi or puzzle type cache.

It starts at a location where you find the next set of coordinates and a phone number.

You go to the next stage at which a payphone will be available; you call the number you got from the first stage.

Listen to a recording that gives you clues to the next stage.

Each stage would have its own recording for that pay phone leading to the next.

Any thoughts, suggestions, pros/cons on this?

It starts at a location where you find the next set of coordinates and a phone number.

You go to the next stage at which a payphone will be available; you call the number you got from the first stage.

There at least one of those in the North Dallas area. It uses an automated system. You have to enter the right response to get the next set of coordinates (and avoid the wrath of Chuck Norris).

Here's one that is sort of similar - GC15ECZ. Ignore the Sudoku part of the puzzle. At the coordinates, there is a payphone, and a phone number hidden somewhere nearby.

For this puzzle, you must call the number from that phone. It also requires you to call a 800 number. Setting one up from scratch requires considerable investment. I'm not sure if there is a service you can subscribe to that provides this.

If you relax the requirements (i.e. can call from any phone) you may get some cheaters, but you also ensure that people can continue to play if the payphones are out of order or removed, provided they have a cellphone.

Anyway, what you want is an IVR (interactive voice response) service. I've built some of these systems in the past, so I can recommend hardware and setup if you want to spend thousands of dollars on this, but I'm willing to bet that you're looking for a substantially smaller initial outlay ;) and I don't have any experience with the service side of things.

Anyway, what you want is an IVR (interactive voice response) service. I've built some of these systems in the past, so I can recommend hardware and setup if you want to spend thousands of dollars on this, but I'm willing to bet that you're looking for a substantially smaller initial outlay ;) and I don't have any experience with the service side of things.

No need for all of that mess, just create a free developer account here: http://www.voxeo.com/

The cache Prime Suspect mentioned is of mine, built using the Voxeo system:

Faceless Multi-National Utility Company

Here is another one, and you can play with this from anywhere in the country:

20 Questions

I had a lot of fun building these caches, although they took a many, many of hours of planning, layout, and testing. :D

There was one like that in Starkville, MS. The phone number was stamped into a tag; you were supposed to get an encoded recording, which you had to keep listening to until you deciphered it. But when I found it the number had been disconnected. Luckily I was able to contact the owner and get a link to a web site with the WAV file.

Moral: that type of puzzle only works as long as the auto-answer system is working.

The phones I have check all work. Just no incoming calls. I will look into that voxeo website. But for now I plan on using a prepaid cell phone with youmail.com. I can program recordings to be played only when called from a preselected number.

No need for all of that mess, just create a free developer account here: http://www.voxeo.com/

20 Questions

I had a lot of fun building these caches, although they took a many, many of hours of planning, layout, and testing. :D

What happens if you incur the wrath of Chuck Norris?

I had a cache idea like that too and it took me FOREVER to find a payphone in a location that worked for me...still quite a few outside some of the area gas stations, but I didn't want to place my cache there.

It's a great idea...go for the creative cache!

We have a cache like that. I think it has been active for 2 years. It receives a third of the visits our other traditional has in the same area. Not as many visits because it is a mystery cache. For those that have done it we have received positive reviews.

Engine No. 9

Listed coords take you to the phone company. Out front is a dime pay phone. Call goes to my mobile which I never answer therefore goes to my voice mail. Crap. I just gave away the puzzle. :sad:

Anyway, what you want is an IVR (interactive voice response) service. I've built some of these systems in the past, so I can recommend hardware and setup if you want to spend thousands of dollars on this, but I'm willing to bet that you're looking for a substantially smaller initial outlay :sad: and I don't have any experience with the service side of things.

20 Questions

I have an account on voxeo as well. I haven't developed a cache with it but I did a proof of concept Agriculture Commodity Exchange Service for developing countries with it.

That voxeo account looks complicated. I think I'll stick to the voicemail on a prepaid phone.

I was thinking of posting the riddles on the cache page and having a multipler when you call. Example the answer to the riddle is 1. When they get to the phone they are told to multiply the answer by 11 and subtract it from the North coords.

Anyone have any suggestions?

John,

Would the cache require a call from a payphone, or would that just be there for convenience?

I had a cache which utilized a payphone. I can tell you from experience it's a pain in the butt. The payphone maintenance was the hardest part and led to the ultimate demise of the cache.

The first phone I used was removed after a month or two. The next phone was removed. And the next. And the next.

For my cache, the phone was critical, and after having so many phones removed shortly after I made them part of the cache made too much work, and I gave up.

Jamie