When bison tubes go bad

I've been seeing a trend in my micro hides that use bison tubes or bison-like containers in regard to the rubber gasket that seals out moisture rotting away after a time and the logs getting soaked.

Is this common for pill containers purchased at big box stores?

Are the name brand Bison Tubes prone to the same problems?

What do you do when that rubber o-ring fails? Replace it?

Is there a way to extend the life of the rubber o-ring?

In the past i've used a plastic match-safe (Wal-Mart .88 cents) they used the same type sealing system as the Bison-tubes (rubber "O" rings) I found replacement "O" rings at my local True-Value Hardware. They had a very large range of sizes to choose from. The orginal lasted over a year, the replacement are a year old now and are still in good shape...... In this area (Desert Southwest) the heat does bad things to plastics, rubber, etc......... :blink:

I've seen the failure in box store bison tubes and in name brand ones. I think it's pretty standard for all of them to fail, especially when they're exposed to extreme weather.

I don't know about extending the life of them but replacing them should be pretty easy. If a hardware store doesn't have the little rubber o rings you should be able to buy them at most hobby shops that carry airbrushing supplies.

All you need to do is add a little lubricant to the o-ring like silicone lube or the lube used for swimming pool gaskets. I use it on my match stick holders. I also purchased from my hardware store a little bit better and more durable gasket that fits on these and bought extras to keep when performing maintenance on the caches.

Just remember to wipe off the excess lube so it won't collect dirt.

Put a little bit of Vaseline around the o-ring and that will extend the life.

I have to disagree with you there. Petroleum products are terrible on rubber! Silicone is fine as long as it doesn't have a petroleum based "cleaner". But considering that new o-rings are almost giveaway items, I don't think I'd bother unless the cache was at an extreme edge of my maintenance area.

I did a quick search on this forum and found the o-ring sizes for the different sized bison tubes and picked up new ones inexpensively at the local Home Depot. Now I'm all set to replace them as needed. They will deteriorate at some point, that's to be expected. Same for the gasket in the matchstick holders.

You can shorten the life of an O-ring by painting it.

I see this mostly on matchsafes. I'm guessing that the solvents in the spray paint are damaging the O-ring.

Replacements are widely available. I ordered packets of 100+ for the common bison and matchsafe; carry them and replace them as I find them in need.

Put a little bit of Vaseline around the o-ring and that will extend the life.

I have to disagree with you there. Petroleum products are terrible on rubber! Silicone is fine as long as it doesn't have a petroleum based "cleaner". But considering that new o-rings are almost giveaway items, I don't think I'd bother unless the cache was at an extreme edge of my maintenance area.

I would generally agree with that statement, but...

The type of rubber/plastic has a lot to do with it. I try to buy hydraulic seals for my O rings, intended for use with various oils and fluids, they do a lot better with vaseline than do hardware store plumbing (water) rings. However, I too use mostly silicone stopcock grease.

Other things since I'm here (not re your commets but related to thread).

Others have mentioned removing the excess. For what it is worth, if you can see it beyond a sheen on the surface, you probably have way to much.

In another thread topic, under caching tools, it has been suggested to carry a soft bristle (baby) toothbrush to clean both seals and the sealing surfaces of grit. That is a very good idea. Even the best ring won't seal correctly if there is sand under it. A magnifier is a good idea too. Most good compasses and some pocket knives have on built in. My eyes don't get the small stuff without help.

For anyone who needs to remove a ring that has not failed... did you know that the correct method is to use the thumb and index finger to slide from one side to the other in the plane of the ring, NOT to pry it off by digging with a pointy thing. Wait until friction causes the ring to elongate, then gently pick it up and roll it off.

A failing ring will complete it's task either way, and needs replacing. However you won't gouge the sealing surface.

Doug

They need to be replaced periodically on any container. A while ago I brought a bunch of common containers (small bison, large bison, film canister, pill container) to Sears and wrote down the O ring sizes that fit each. Unfortunately I lost it. but if you can find an assortment bag of O rings you should be able to find the right one.

From my experience, depending on exposure to elements, O rings last between 6 months and a year and a half.

Edited by briansnat