Dispoable Camera & Picture Gallery

Phil100

Is it possible to upload images to the picture gallery without creating a link to the log?

I ask because I am thinking of creating a cache which includes a disposable camera and once all the frames have been exposed adding peoples efforts to the picture gallery. As I understand it, when I upload them there would be a link for each individual image (27 on the Kodak I have) which could make quite a long log!

I had thought that if this is the case, one possible solution might be to create (another!) Flickr account and load them there with a link from the cache log.

Any ideas?

Not sure I understand?

If you write a note and add the pictures with the note, you will just end up with a list of the pictures beneath the note.

27 isn't that many for a single log entry.....

As the cache owner you could also upload the images directly to the gallery without creating a log entry (upper right hand side, navigation menu), and they would then be listed at the foot of the cache page before any of the logs.

Edited by keehotee

If you write a note and add the pictures with the note, you will just end up with a list of the pictures beneath the note. 27 isn't that many for a single log entry.....

It seems a lot to me and that is exactly what I was trying to avoid!

As the cache owner you could also upload the images directly to the gallery without creating a log entry (upper right hand side, navigation menu), and they would then be listed at the foot of the cache page before any of the logs.

That still will involve a long list and, if the cache was popular(!) could become even longer!!

Many thanks for your advice though!!!

You are going to have to load them to the cache page to get them to show in the gallery.

I vote for just posting them to a log. It's not that bad. You could even use an old log or post a back-dated note so it isn't at the top..

Thanks for that. I like the idea of adding a back dated note.

Once the film in the disposable camera has been processed and the images scanned (most processing places will burn the images onto a CD for you) I use a free program called Web Album Generator to produce the album and I add my own captions. Once I'm happy with it, I upload it to my own web-space and put a link to it into the cache description, then anybody reading the cachepage can just click the link to view the photos. An example can be seen here.

If the photos are on the cache page/in the description, its a lot of ink and paper for the non-paperless cachers...

It's not if you click the remove images icon, or if you tend to copy and paste as I do for multi's, then delete the images. It only uses a lot of ink if you print straight from the cache page.

However if you bought a cheap PDA from ebay, and paid a small amount each year for membership you wouldn't have this problem. It works out quicker to organise your trips out, and you are being more friendly to the environment as you aren't using up trees and saving ink.

edited to add that I can see Bear and Ragged are premium members, the above statement is meant to be generic.

Edited by Haggis Hunter

If the photos are on the cache page/in the description, its a lot of ink and paper for the non-paperless cachers...

I can see Bear and Ragged are premium members, the above statement is meant to be generic.

Bear and Ragged is singular. I am me, and only me! :)

Yes, Premium, and paper-less.

BUT. I like to print out multi's.

Gives me a piece of paper to scribble the answers/make notes/work out the co-ords on.

(And, must admit, I haven't tried printing out a cache page since the new 'print a page' gizmo-bit was added.)

I put a disposable camera in my first ever cache, in a sealable plastic bag with instructions. However by the time the film was full, the camera was so wet it was not printable, due to folks not putting the lid back on properly and SEALING the bag. :laughing:

Has anyone found a way round this, or would you recommend not leaving the camera in the cache until the whole film has been exposed?

I put a disposable camera in my first ever cache, in a sealable plastic bag with instructions. However by the time the film was full, the camera was so wet it was not printable, due to folks not putting the lid back on properly and SEALING the bag. B)

Has anyone found a way round this, or would you recommend not leaving the camera in the cache until the whole film has been exposed?

Most people now have a digtial camera or a camera on their phone. Simply ask them to post a pic with their log and so you can see who is who and you don't have to worry about the camera getting damaged.

Not all people will do this but maybe the same amount of people who would use the disposable one.

I like taking pics, but don't like to be in them. :laughing:

I put a disposable camera in my first ever cache, in a sealable plastic bag with instructions. However by the time the film was full, the camera was so wet it was not printable, due to folks not putting the lid back on properly and SEALING the bag. :rolleyes:

I quite like the idea of there being a camera there, I'm new to all this but followed the instructions when I collected a travel bug about photographing where he was but was disappointed when I logged this that there were very few other photos on its webpage.

Perhaps a disposable waterproof camera, like you'd take on a beach holiday etc would work. That should cope with the water seaping in if people were careless?

Kittb

I put a disposable camera in my first ever cache, in a sealable plastic bag with instructions. However by the time the film was full, the camera was so wet it was not printable, due to folks not putting the lid back on properly and SEALING the bag. :rolleyes:

I quite like the idea of there being a camera there, I'm new to all this but followed the instructions when I collected a travel bug about photographing where he was but was disappointed when I logged this that there were very few other photos on its webpage.

Perhaps a disposable waterproof camera, like you'd take on a beach holiday etc would work. That should cope with the water seaping in if people were careless?

Kittb

Rather then a dispoable camera try your local charity shop for a 2nd hand 35mm camera. A friend of mine said he got a working one for £2 last weekend.(No one wants them anymore :rolleyes:

Maybe more resistant to the damp then a disposable and should work out about the same price.

Or if you're willing to push the boat out just a bit more, you can get really cheap 'keychain' digital cameras (normally aimed at kids) for about 10-15 quid. The image quality is poor, obviously and there's no flash or anything but it's reusable, should be somewhat more robust and you don't have to wait for 24 exposures before you can get the photos off it :D

Or if you're willing to push the boat out just a bit more, you can get really cheap 'keychain' digital cameras (normally aimed at kids) for about 10-15 quid. The image quality is poor, obviously and there's no flash or anything but it's reusable, should be somewhat more robust and you don't have to wait for 24 exposures before you can get the photos off it :D

With the rate of muggled caches around these parts theres absolutely NO WAY I would put a camera worth that much in any of my caches.