Geocache Golf any one?

I have no idea if this has been done or not but I just set up a 9 hole geocache golf course. I have a "clubhouse" = closest place to park the car. I give you the coordinates for the 1st tee and the first hole. Then off you go. Find the golf ball with the coordinates for the next tee and next hole. Each course will have it's own rules but generally your "fairways" are resticted to paths, trails, sidewalks etc. till you get within 50' of your hole. Then you have to leave the path and find the golf ball which will set you up with the next hole. This concept to have endless variations to develop competence with the gps unit. You could change your format and your datum. You have to get good at entering the new coordinates manualy and hone your gps skills in general. Just print out the score card which has the local course rules, overall distance of the the course (including the walk between the holes and tees) and the distance of each hole.

Let me know if you want to play a round or set up a course.

p99

I have no idea if this has been done or not but I just set up a 9 hole geocache golf course. I have a "clubhouse" = closest place to park the car. I give you the coordinates for the 1st tee and the first hole. Then off you go. Find the golf ball with the coordinates for the next tee and next hole. Each course will have it's own rules but generally your "fairways" are resticted to paths, trails, sidewalks etc. till you get within 50' of your hole. Then you have to leave the path and find the golf ball which will set you up with the next hole. This concept to have endless variations to develop competence with the gps unit. You could change your format and your datum. You have to get good at entering the new coordinates manualy and hone your gps skills in general. Just print out the score card which has the local course rules, overall distance of the the course (including the walk between the holes and tees) and the distance of each hole.

p99

Not sure I completely follow...you mean like a multicache?

This give me an idea for Geocache poker though...spread 52 cards around, wait some amount of time, then see who has the highest hand :anibad:

Cool Ideas definitely could be fun. Curious how you would work the poker thing could be fun to have a

" poker night" Place the cards that night and then dole out the player what cache they get to go to at random and then post results. lol could get crazy!!!

Both kind of cool ideas. I like the golf one, but you might want to call it a multi-cache so Allanon plays LOL

The poker one. That would have to only be playable once, eh? I mean, otherwise, everyone would show up with a straight flush. Unless you make up some kind of time limit/date system. Still a cool/funny idea. You could have everyone that came sign a log saying they found "a hand", but only the winner gets w/e is in the cache.

Hi pumper9X9. The more I think about this idea the more I like it. I do plan on setting up a 9 hole course in my area thanks to your idea. Living here on the coast of Lake Michigan we have an abundance of sand dunes that would do very nicely for sand traps and we also have more than our share of rivers and lakes that certainly could qualify as water hazards. I'll let you know how our local caching population responds to it. Happy caching!!! :anibad:

p99

I like the concept.

How do you score?

If I figured out your pattern and bypassed multiple legs, do I get a better score?

With the fairway restrictions I would classify it as a Mystery Cache, doubly so with the addition of a score card.

p99

I've got a cache hidden next to a frisbee golf course. It's called "Out of Bounds".

Here's an 18 hole "geogolf course" near me. The total distance is about 4 miles along part of the Finger Lakes Trail system (which is several hundred miles long) and the recommended approach is to do this with two vehicles as the 18th hill is 3 miles downhill from the first with parking areas at both ends. The first five holes, which I've done, are along a seasonal road but the rest would best be done with a hike in between the two places to park.

Not sure what 'knocking of 7-11s' has to do with this discussion, but if that's another of your hobbies that's your choice.

As for the other part of your statement, in 40-50mph winds I wouldn't be caching or golfing, I'd probably be inside out of the wind/rain and watching a movie.

How about a nice sunny day in the 50's when you have 40-50mph winds? It gets you out and keeps you from knocking off 7-11's

simple as that

If I want to play golf, I'll get my clubs out. If I want to geocache, I get the GPSr out.

Simple as that.

Poker runs have been popular at events for years. A group of caches is filled with marked, sealed envelopes, each containing a card. People take one card from each cache. At the end of the day, whoever can make the highest poker hand wins a prize.

I came across this event (GC1KKZA) down in AZ coming up that has a Poker Run going for it. Might explain the rules of that one a bit for those unfamiliar with it.

Poker runs have been popular at events for years. A group of caches is filled with marked, sealed envelopes, each containing a card. People take one card from each cache. At the end of the day, whoever can make the highest poker hand wins a prize.

I came across this event (GC1KKZA) down in AZ coming up that has a Poker Run going for it. Might explain the rules of that one a bit for those unfamiliar with it.

Very cool clears up some of the rules. Why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.

Very cool clears up some of the rules. Why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.

Not sure I completely follow...you mean like a multicache?

This give me an idea for Geocache poker though...spread 52 cards around, wait some amount of time, then see who has the highest hand :)

That has actually been done in orem, utah and the surrounding area. There is a series called Anyone up for "Poker". There are several in the series. Here it is in case you are confused. I am a bit because I haven't done this series yet.

Poker anyone? This is one of five permanent, sign only mirco caches with a "Poker" twist. You'll need to bring a pen. Please feel free to visit and log this cache even if you aren't "up for poker."

This series was inspired by Sir Gerald's Poker run that was played at the Utah Geocaching 5th Birthday event at Potter's Pond. Once Poker has been played, the caches will remain for all to find and sign the log.

Some basic rules:

-There are 55 cards in the deck (including 3 jokers), so eleven people can play.

-The deck was shuffled and each card randomly given a number.

-Please only claim a poker card if you intend to visit all five caches.

-Claim only one poker card at each cache per cacher's name or one per geocaching.com account.

-All caches are hidden the same way.

-Each location has a different set of numbers, so you can't cheat and only go to one cache. All five caches in the series must be visited to have a valid poker hand.

-The game will end when 11 cachers have five cards in their "hand" or on Oct. 31, 2005, whichever comes first.

-The winning cacher will receive a $20 "Always" gift card.

-What Peanut and Cashew say goes, they are the judges and will make the final decision.

How to Play:

1. At each location, find a 35mm film canister.

2. Choose a poker number.

3. Write your caching name on the back of the number.

4. Leave your number in the cache.

5. Sign the log book.

6. Log your visit at geocaching.com.

7. Include the poker number you have chosen in your log.

8. Visit the next cache(s) in the series.

9. You are done playing when you have chosen one number from each cache.

E-mail us if you want to know the cards you're holding, but remember once you pick a card you can not change it.

They have dogs and a couple cats, two of which are Peanut(now deceased sadly) and Cashew. Thanks. Have a great day. gwf :D:D:(:D