How many new caches in your area

Besides a suspected typo.....sorry, but I don't understand the question.

(If it was one.)

~*

I'm not sure where my original post went but I was essentially wondering how many new caches people generally get placed in there area.

I set my "Distance in Miles" radius to 50 miles for my Notification and might see 5-7 new caches a week. Using a PQ I searched for caches published since the beginning of the year and found 10 new caches within 25 miles, and 58 new caches within 50 miles.

I then applied the same search using a cache in San Diego as a center point and found 432 caches placed since the beginning of the year within 50 miles of that cache.

Basically I'm trying to get a sense of how active different geocaching communities are.

In recent weeks, I see 3 or 4 new ones within 50 miles of home per week - no idea how long that might last. Typically over the past 2 years or so - we might see between 1 and 3 per month. Back in 2005 - 2006 we had a flurry of activity for 6 months or so that got 2 or 3 per week.

You did ask.

I checked over the last ten weeks. Here in Portland Oregon, within 50 miles of where I live, the average is 47.3 new caches placed weekly. The range goes from as low as 34 to as high as 63 in one week, within 50 miles.

We really love to place 'em around here. :)

My home zip code (23149) is a bit more isolated than most. Since Jan. 1st, if you go out 25 miles there have been 20 placed. One was mine, one was an event, and about a half dozen were put out to coincide with the event. If you go out 50 miles there have been 81 this year, including one canceled event. Of those, 30 were placed in the last week. If you scoot the center about 15 miles any direction but east (mostly water), you start to get into metro areas and the count goes up quickly.

I'm not sure where my original post went but I was essentially wondering how many new caches people generally get placed in there area. ...Basically I'm trying to get a sense of how active different geocaching communities are.

Whew! Well that sure 'splains things lots better! Without your actual OP, 6Dog's response looked like he'd answered his own question (topic hdr) which would've fit better with "How many new cachers in your area".

Re yours - fm last week's newsletter, for 'Down East' NC:

W/I 20 miles: 2 new caches

W/I 50 miles: 35 new caches + 3 events

(Least that skews the bell-curve, 18 of that 37 are a new Rails-to-Trails series, all 36ish miles from here.)

As an afterthought, just for giggles, opened 9 at-random of that 18 -- ALL MICRO's!

What are the odds!? (giggle)

:)

~*

My home zip code (23149) is a bit more isolated than most. Since Jan. 1st, if you go out 25 miles there have been 20 placed. One was mine, one was an event, and about a half dozen were put out to coincide with the event. If you go out 50 miles there have been 81 this year, including one canceled event. Of those, 30 were placed in the last week. If you scoot the center about 15 miles any direction but east (mostly water), you start to get into metro areas and the count goes up quickly.

What a difference a few days makes! Then, the preceding week there were 30 within 50 miles. As of today there were 6, and two of those (one an event) in Maryland, which is within 50 miles but across the Chesapeake Bay, so a it would take about 5 hours to get there.

Just going by the weekly email numbers:

this week: 61

Last week: 82

2/19- 126

2/12-104

2/5-65

I guess the winter cold hasn't slowed down the NC hiders much? :rolleyes:

I'm in the middle of several active areas, and 100 miles out is a reasonable distance for me to travel on any given caching day trip.

In fact with DST starting this weekend, I'm more likely to get away from my home area on a weekend day run and leave those closer to home for on the way home from work detours.

New caches within 50 miles of me by week:

Feb. 27 - March 6 = 106

Feb. 20 - Feb. 26 = 99

Feb. 13 - Feb. 19 = 77

Feb. 6 - Feb. 12 = 50

Jan. 30 - Feb. 5 = 66

Jan. 23 - Jan. 29 = 103

Jan. 16 - Jan. 22 = 112

Average = 87.5

I am falling sooo far behind!

None. :rolleyes:

I have competition!

Since I started geocaching 2.5 years ago, only 2 (!!) caches were placed within 50 miles from my house (and a third one 54 miles away).

And one of those two is hidden in a tree, in an urban park in the middle of a town. You need to either climb the tree, or need two persons, one sitting/standing on the shoulders of the other, to retrieve the cache. "Stealth required", yeah, right!

Besides a suspected typo.....sorry, but I don't understand the question.

(If it was one.)

~*

I'm not sure where my original post went but I was essentially wondering how many new caches people generally get placed in there area.

I set my "Distance in Miles" radius to 50 miles for my Notification and might see 5-7 new caches a week. Using a PQ I searched for caches published since the beginning of the year and found 10 new caches within 25 miles, and 58 new caches within 50 miles.

I then applied the same search using a cache in San Diego as a center point and found 432 caches placed since the beginning of the year within 50 miles of that cache.

Basically I'm trying to get a sense of how active different geocaching communities are.

For this to be a valid question ( IMO ) there should be some size of size breakdown. I live in rural Central Missouri and in the last 6 months there have been only 4 new Caches added, all of them regular size. If there were 432 caches placed since the first of the year around here there wouldn't be enough Guard Rails available. :rolleyes: