Have You Ever Met, in Person, a Real Live Hider of Lame Urban Micros?

Folks, this thread was inspired by the recent and concurrent thread entitled something along the lines of "Micros, micros, micros, more micros...", where a cacher was complaining about the fact that so many caches that she hunts turn out to be lame urban or lame highway micros. In much the same vein, I have an interesting question or two for each of you, in light of the fact that everyone complains about lame urban micros, but no one seems to claim ownership of any, and on one seems to know anyone who has placed any:

Have any of you ever met, in person, any hiders of lame urban micros?

If so, what were they like?

Was their deviancy and perversion obvious, or was it carefully closeted and cloaked, disguised behind a mask of sociability and backslapping or gladhanding?

What would you do if you discovered that a friend or relative of yours had emplaced a lame urban micro? (i.e., would you turn them into the authorities, or would you turn a blind eye and engage in denial, or would you urge them to seek help for their condition?)

Incidentally, my own answer is that yes, I have met two or three hiders of such things at geo events, and, aside from the fact that they smelled, even from some distance away, of hellfire and brimstone (a distinct sulfur smell with an overtone of hydrogen sulfide [aka H2S]), and other than the small horns on their heads, which you really only notice up close, and the cloven hooves instead of feet, you can hardly tell them from normal cachers.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Folks, this thread was inspired by the recent and concurrent thread entitled something along the lines of "Micros, micros, micros, more micros...", where a cacher was complaining about the fact that so many caches that she hunts turn out to be lame urban or lame highway micros. In much the same vein, I have an interesting question or two for each of you, in light of the fact that everyone complains about lame urban micros, but no one seems to claim ownership of any, and on one seems to know anyone who has placed any:

Was their deviancy and perversion obvious, or was it carefully closeted and cloaked, disguised behind a mask of sociability and backslapping or gladhanding?

What would you do if you discovered that a friend or relative of yours had emplaced a lame urban micro? (i.e., would you turn them into the authorities, or would you turn a blind eye and engage in denial, or would you urge them to seek help for their condition?)

My own answer is that yes, I have met two or three hiders of such things at geo events, and, aside from the fact that they smelled, even from some distance away, of fire and brimstone (a distinct sulfur smell with an overtone of hydrogen sulfide [aka H2S]), and other than the small horns on their heads, which you really only notice up close, and the cloven hooves instead of feet, you can hardly tell them from normal cachers.

My answer would also be yes, but I didn't notice the smell you speak of Vinny! :laughing:

My own answer is that yes, I have met two or three hiders of such things at geo events, and, aside from the fact that they smelled, even from some distance away, of fire and brimstone (a distinct sulfur smell with an overtone of hydrogen sulfide [aka H2S]), and other than the small horns on their heads, which you really only notice up close, and the cloven hooves instead of feet, you can hardly tell them from normal cachers.

I see one in the mirror every morning... :laughing:

Yes.

One specifically told me that most of his hides were "to help my buddies up thier number real fast". After just 18 months of caching - about 60% of thier over 100 hides were archived. Mostly film can in a bush/ditch types.

I know several people who enjoy placing caches that some on these fora would call 'lame'. They are universally been amiable people with a love of the game. They do the most appropriate thing. They hide caches that they would enjoy finding so like minded people have fun caches to find.

What they don't do is whine about caches that they don't like.

tangentially related:

there's a town near me where there's a guardrail cache almost everywhere there's a guardrail.

in response i hid a guardrail cache that was titled to reflect similarity with that town.

the hiders of those caches wanted to know if it was a slam. well, if you don't see anything wrong with guardrail caches why would that be a slam? if you were truly proud of those hides, it would be a tribute.

tangentially related:

there's a town near me where there's a guardrail cache almost everywhere there's a guardrail.

in response i hid a guardrail cache that was titled to reflect similarity with that town.

the hiders of those caches wanted to know if it was a slam. well, if you don't see anything wrong with guardrail caches why would that be a slam? if you were truly proud of those hides, it would be a tribute.

:laughing::D:D:)

Yes, nothing speaks louder or more insistently than a guilty conscience, that gnawing sense deep inside a person's gut that they have been behaving like an idiot, and that their immortal geocaching soul will likely be condemned to suffer in hell for tens of thousands of years in retribution for their lame urban micro hides. I saw an episode of 48 Hours a few months ago which claimed that for many of them, the gnawing inner pain is so great that they ultimately commit suicide.

May God bless their nasty filthy little damaged souls, and may they do better in their next lifetime!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Incidentally, my own answer is that yes, I have met two or three hiders of such things at geo events, and, aside from the fact that they smelled, even from some distance away, of hellfire and brimstone (a distinct sulfur smell with an overtone of hydrogen sulfide [aka H2S]), and other than the small horns on their heads, which you really only notice up close, and the cloven hooves instead of feet, you can hardly tell them from normal cachers.

Well yes, of course I know, love, and have cached with on several occasions, a prolific placer of lame urban micros (all of which I'm ignoring). I haven't ignored everything he ever placed though. He does in fact smell, but I was unaware that it was sulfur with a distinct overtone of Hydrogen Sulfide.

Um, I'd ignore the cache? So I guess I'll choose denial.

"...Was their deviancy and perversion obvious, or was it carefully closeted and cloaked, disguised behind a mask of sociability and backslapping or gladhanding?"

Ummm....the 2nd one.

I've got a 'slam' cache that's been layin' out for about 6 months now, rotting. Think it's about time to release it.

Hi-5!

~*

Yes, I've met several. Almost without exception, they impress me as unusually happy and content individuals, out there finding and hiding caches while others worry about them in forum posts.

Whoa! Lep, thank you for sharing, and must say that I am very happy that you survived your encounters with these demonic entities. From all that I have heard here on the forum over the years, it is quite apparent that these creatures are not really human, and rather are some sort of sordid demonic spawn of Satan, and I am simply relieved that you survived your encounters with them unscathed. As for their seeming happiness and contentment which you have reported, yes, I have heard many times that Satan and his agents are indeed very happy and complacent so long as they are winning their War of Lame Urban Micros, and for good reason, for they are succeeding in their agenda to drive all God-fearing geocachers from the sport and to recruit more souls for Satan's army.

And, despite your seeming acceptance of these bizarre and aberrant creatures, allow me to ask you the truly difficult questions:

• would you allow your son or daughter to date one of them?
  • would you allow your daughter or son to marry one of them?
  • would you allow one of them into your home for dinner?
  • would you want Jesus or the BVM or the Buddha to know that you spend your recreation time with such demonic creatures?

Vinny, I don't mix my religion and my humor.

you might could. God is not just funny, but God is the ORIGINAL comedian.

O Great Gracious God

it isn't so much that you have a sense of humor

as you are the sense of humor

you'd have to be

otherwise there's no explaining the platypus.

you are so awesomely awesome

and i know i railed against ticks

and suggested maybe you were having an off day

and i swear i heard you laugh

but someone pointed out to me

how marvelously made

is the tick;

an animal that can live eighteen months

without a meal.

and today when i went to kneel at the altar

and managed to get tangled in my own feet

and fall quite painfully;

i asked you rather pointedly

if it was your idea of a joke

and if it was

i didn't think it was funny

and i know you heard me laugh

anyway.

maybe slapstick

is simple enough

for both of us to understand

together.

i went to sing you a song

but giggled right through it

and i like to think

you didn't mind.

yesterday i was feeling my wounds

and didn't feel much like singing

but we sang anyway

and i laughed

just because you ARE.

these days

loss

just heaps up on loss

except that i feel myself quite firmly in your hand

and if i get lucky

i can feel you in my hand

and i might as well laugh.

it's OK, you said.

just think of me, you said.

so all right; i will.

i will, i will, i will.

you are the pratfall, the knock-knock,

the elephant joke

signed for the deaf

you are the whole of the punchline

and you know i always said i'd be a lot happier

if someone would only

tell me the punchline.

in the night

while i sleep

and during the day

in every breath

you are there

to whisper it in my ear:

the whole of the joke

spinning, swirling, staid and stalwart

breaking waves of sound and taking

leaving light and coming running

caving stillness, starfish sunning

light and leaning loving laughter

you are before and also after

you are

you are

you are

i know you are;

i heard you laugh.

I can respect your preference in that area, although, for me, speaking personally, both religion and spirituality are rich grounds for humor. And so, in that case, allow me to ask you the following truly difficult and painful questions:

• would you not be horrified if an ex-spouse decided to marry one of them?
  • would you drink from a coffee mug or soda bottle from which one of them had just drank?
  • would you vote for one if it ran for public office?
  • do you believe that they should be extended the same civil rights as extended to decent humans?

Can you, or can any other real human here, really say with a straight face that you would not answer "NO" to every question above?

One cache series that I did was a tour of elementerary schools in the valley. That was the very time that I just felt ackward while caching. What the heck was I doing touring all the kiddie schools and why would someone set this series of caches? This same hider placed a mix of good and what I would later consider bad (bad not yet existing in my vocabulary because i hadn't found enough to consider a style as bad yet).

Later I met the guy who placed them. He was enthusiastic and while I didn't say anything to him about the caches or the heebie jeebies that I felt while hunting that first series he was open and receptive and no doubt would have listened and adjusted his style a bit. His enthusiasum wasn't vested to the locations as much to the love of placing caches for us to enjoy.

I can respect your preference in that area, although, for me, speaking personally, both religion and spirituality are rich grounds for humor. And so, in that case, allow me to ask you the following truly difficult and painful questions:

• would you not be horrified if an ex-spouse decided to marry one of them?
  • would you drink from a coffee mug or soda bottle from which one of them had just drank?
  • would you vote for one if it ran for public office?
  • do you believe that they should be extended the same civil rights as extended to decent humans?

Can you, or can any other real human here, really say with a straight face that you would not answer "NO" to every question above?

Good recovery, Vin. :lol: That being said, I hereby forbid my 14 yr. old daughter from ever dating a placer of lame urban micros. Sorry kid. You'll get over it though. <_<

I hide urban micros. However, they are only suitable only where larger caches cannot be placed. I do not believe in micros placed in the woods where an ammo can or other suitable container can be used. I also do not believe in saturating an area with micros just because it can be done. It seems like a selfish act. What do I believe? I believe I'll have another drink. (P.S. - My horns aren't all that noticable.)

Yes, I've met several. Almost without exception, they impress me as unusually happy and content individuals, out there finding and hiding caches while others worry about them in forum posts.

The same here, actually. The first encounter was at the most recent local event where I was dreading meeting this individual for fear of something slipping out that I detest their spam caching even though I've found more than a couple (think that's a sad commentary on me?)

But once I walked up to them so they could sign my Bingo card as having hid more than 50 caches... I couldn't say anything! First words out of her mouth were "CoverOfDarkness! I was wanting to meet you at the last event! I love all the logs you put for my caches! I love reading them all! You actually comment!" I could do nothing but smile and nod while my mind was outputting constant "Error... Error... Does Not Compute" messages.

The same here, actually. The first encounter was at the most recent local event where I was dreading meeting this individual for fear of something slipping out that I detest their spam caching even though I've found more than a couple (think that's a sad commentary on me?)

But once I walked up to them so they could sign my Bingo card as having hid more than 50 caches... I couldn't say anything! First words out of her mouth were "CoverOfDarkness! I was wanting to meet you at the last event! I love all the logs you put for my caches! I love reading them all! You actually comment!" I could do nothing but smile and nod while my mind was outputting constant "Error... Error... Does Not Compute" messages.

All I can say is that from what I have picked up here over the years on the forums, I am not surprised at your experience, for it seems that these half-human spawn of Satan have been well-trained in the arts of acting friendly, backslapping, glad-handing and the whole hail fellow well met thing, the better in order to accomplish their Satanic agenda here on earth. All I can say to you in closing, regarding these Satanic spawn, is this:

"Be on your guard, for they know that you are human, and they despise you for it, and all they want is your immortal geocaching soul, and they will do anything to get it."

Sorry to sound so dramatic and somber, but this is a nasty topic, one where only truth will do.

While caching some years back in Nashville with the original CHB, we found a rather large series of "lame" caches - many of which were hidden in lamp posts or guard rails. My attitude was similar to yours. I enjoyed great sport in making fun of the simplistic nature of the hides and the ease of finding these caches. It didn't bother me one little bit (then or now) to log them but I confess to being a bit condescending in my attitude toward these "lame" hiders. My attitude continued until I met a couple of these "lame" hiders at GeoWoodstock 2. It seems they really were LAME. I mean they were physically disabled. Realization came like a slap in my face. They did what they could do and had a great time doing it. I respect that. I learned this is a game and everyone can't play it my way.

If any would care to flame/berate/find fault/etc. with me - please send me an email because I probably won't be back in the forums for a while. I try to limit myself to 30 minutes a month and I'm at my limit.

Jim

There is one that we meet frequently at the local geomeets.

Once a group of us were talking about different types of hides, when he actually told us "You do the quality hides, I'll do the quantity". I had to bite the inside of my cheek for fear I would say something I would regret.

Why, you might ask?

Because it would be like kicking Winnie the Pooh in the shins.

The guy is a happy, mellow sort of person whom I've never heard say a mean thing. He's a big teddy bear of a guy with sorrowful eyes that I can't bring myself to make actually full of sorrow. He has a few good caches, but the majority of his that we've found are the epitome of lame. He knows this, and actually states that the hide is lame on many of his hides. (Would that he did this on all his lame ones, so they could be weeded out.)

This bear has the same look on it's face as the lame micro hider. It is a virtual body double. (Just add a plaid shirt.) What can I do?

sad%20bear.jpg

Edited by team moxiepup

While caching some years back in Nashville with the original CHB, we found a rather large series of "lame" caches - many of which were hidden in lamp posts or guard rails. My attitude was similar to yours. I enjoyed great sport in making fun of the simplistic nature of the hides and the ease of finding these caches. It didn't bother me one little bit (then or now) to log them but I confess to being a bit condescending in my attitude toward these "lame" hiders. My attitude continued until I met a couple of these "lame" hiders at GeoWoodstock 2. It seems they really were LAME. I mean they were physically disabled. Realization came like a slap in my face. They did what they could do and had a great time doing it. I respect that. I learned this is a game and everyone can't play it my way.

If any would care to flame/berate/find fault/etc. with me - please send me an email because I probably won't be back in the forums for a while. I try to limit myself to 30 minutes a month and I'm at my limit.

Jim

It's as if an occult hand has reached down from above, and blinded some people to the absurdity of satire. :)

OK, I take back what I said about my daughter. You can date a hider of lame urban micros, cutie.

Jim

Interesting point of view and interesting story! Thanks for sharing this observation! It reminds me of a somewhat similar tale of something that took place about two years ago while Sue and I were visiting my sister in New Jersey. My sister is not a geocacher, but always loves to hear our tales of geocache hunting. And so we would all sit down at times and talk about geocaching.

Somehow, the conversation at one point turned to the fact that a good number of modern caches are, in reality, totally lame urban micro caches. My sister, who has all kinds of grad degrees in psychology and special education, and who works as special ed consultant, immediately pointed out that this phenomenon is entirely understandable, and she reminded me of the fact the qualities such as intelligence and creativity, and even commonsense, vary widely across people and are distributed across the population in the form of a bell shaped curve. My sister explained with a smile on her face that it stands to reason that some geocachers are bound to fall in the very lowest part (that is, the left tail) of the bell-shaped curve distribution of scales such as intelligence, creativity and common sense, and thus her theory was that lame urban micros and lame rural highway micros were largely placed by people who scored very low on all three of those scales, that is, very low intelligence, very low creativity, and very low common sense. I suspect that she was largely right!

You know, the use of satire as a thin veil to cover massive amounts of rudeness is grating. It's as if an occult hand has reached down from above, and forced people to act like jerks.

you keep talking about your meds. maybe you need a break?

You know, the use of satire as a thin veil to cover massive amounts of rudeness is grating. It's as if an occult hand has reached down from above, and forced people to act like jerks.
Two thoughts: First, There was nothing about meds in that post. Second, are you following me around to spread your bits of trollishness? Edited by sbell111

Two thoughts: First, There was nothing about meds in that post. Second, are you following me around to spread your bits of trollishness?

are you following vinny around?

i just happened to have read a lot of your posts that mention the need for titration of your meds, and you seem kinda cranky...

Yes, at an event. They were all gushy, saying how much they wanted to meet me, and babbling about how they've never done one of my hides because they typically require more than 3 minutes of work to get to. Then the babbling drifted to their own hides, and how they always made them easy so more folks would find them. Their side of the conversation went on for 20 minutes before I could get a word in. Since I didn't have any Ridalin on me, I nabbed another cacher, (a local legand), and said, "Have you met _______ ? S/he's been dying to meet you".

Yeah, I paid for that later, but it was worth it.

Yes, at an event. They were all gushy, saying how much they wanted to meet me, and babbling about how they've never done one of my hides because they typically require more than 3 minutes of work to get to. Then the babbling drifted to their own hides, and how they always made them easy so more folks would find them. Their side of the conversation went on for 20 minutes before I could get a word in. Since I didn't have any Ridalin on me, I nabbed another cacher, (a local legand), and said, "Have you met _______ ? S/he's been dying to meet you".

i am going to have to remember that trick.

Thank you for having taken the time to relate your tale of horror of having been a victim of predation by one of these mutant part-human Satanic creatures. I am just glad, and I am sure that you are as well, that the creatures you met in each instance did not manage to steal your soul, and it also appears that you did not suffer any permanent toxic effects from having breathed the hellfire and brimstone vapors, and particularly the hydrogen sulfide vapor, which suffuses the air around these Satanic creatures like some horrid yellowish miasm which stains the very air itself.

Please be advised, if you should anticipate meeting any of these putrid creatures in the future, that a Christian crucifix made of solid silver and measuring at least 6 inches on its longest axis, when held in front of you, is usually sufficient to instantly repel them. Some say that wearing a clove of garlic as a pendant around your neck is equally effective, but I have never tried the latter method personally.

Two thoughts: First, There was nothing about meds in that post. Second, are you following me around to spread your bits of trollishness?

i just happened to have read a lot of your posts that mention the need for titration of your meds, and you seem kinda cranky...

Really? A lot of my posts? Huh.

I would be shocked if I mentioned titration of meds more than two or three times in the last eight years that I've been posting here. Perhaps you just find yourself reading my posts over and over and over again; and then you follow me around to other threads to post some more nonsense.

I think that this is more likely.

Edited by sbell111

Really? A lot of my posts? Huh.

I would be shocked if I mentioned titration of meds more than two or three times in the last eight years that I've been posting here. Perhaps you just find yourself reading my posts over and over and over again; and then you follow me around to other threads to post some more nonsense.

I think that this is more likely.

I may be able to shed some light here:

While I do not feel that any of flask's posts are troll-like or nonsensical, I must admit that I, along with a certain rather clandestine government agency, pay flask a weekly salary of $40 to follow all of your posts that may appear in various sections of the forum. Sorry, but I cannot reveal the reason that we are paying her to do so.

Perhaps you just find yourself reading my posts over and over and over again; and then you follow me around to other threads to post some more nonsense.

once again, you're exaggerating your own importance.

in truth, i am following vinny around. his posts are both entertaining an informative. you're like a beer can tossed on the ground in front of a public sculpture.

I may be able to shed some light here:

While I do not feel that any of flask's posts are troll-like or nonsensical, I must admit that I, along with a certain rather clandestine government agency, pay flask a weekly salary of $40 to follow all of your posts that may appear in various sections of the forum. Sorry, but I cannot reveal the reason that we are paying her to do so.

I will. You couldn't get Sioneva to take the job.

~*

Perhaps you just find yourself reading my posts over and over and over again; and then you follow me around to other threads to post some more nonsense.

once again, you're exaggerating your own importance.

in truth, i am following vinny around. his posts are both entertaining an informative. you're like a beer can tossed on the ground in front of a public sculpture.

flask... flask... flask...

flask... if you really truly believe that my posts are "both entertaining an informative" or even that they are one of the two, then I wish to strongly and seriously suggest that you seek help from a behavioral healthcare professional immediately. Or even sooner.

I just don't get why people put so much energy in to whiiiining. If you don't like some caches don't hunt them. What I find MOST interseting is how HIGH and MIGHTY some people get behind a computer screen. Get a life.

I just don't get why people put so much energy in to whiiiining. If you don't like some threads don't post to them. What I find MOST interesting is how HIGH and MIGHTY some people get behind a computer screen. Get a life.

I just don't get why people put so much energy in to whiiiining. If you don't like some caches don't hunt them. What I find MOST interseting is how HIGH and MIGHTY some people get behind a computer screen. Get a life.

I just don't get why people put so much energy in to whiiiining. If you don't like some threads don't post to them. What I find MOST interesting is how HIGH and MIGHTY some people get behind a computer screen. Get a life.

*snork*

see now, this here is why i don't drink beverages while reading the forums.

So true! Love it! Thank you for doing the needful!

First off, I want to apologize for the one LPC I hid way back. :D I have archived it. I'm not a prolific hider but I do feel awful about the lame cache I showed people. I have since then tried to make my caches hides in interesting places, or a bear to get too or a nice walk in the wood's. Since then I've got much more of a positive response from the local community. Although my hides don't get found anywhere near as much as other's in the area.

I've turned to the puzzle route last year, and I think I made a few good one's. Also this past year, I've look at hiding much more extreme cache hides.

Again, I apologize to the community for the piece of crap I placed but I was still just wet behind the ear's. Thank you Vinny for giving me a place to get that off my chest. :)

I do still have one micro out there, but it's hidden in a so-called haunted cemetery, (and it's bigger than a tic-tac) which is pretty neat to see at night. I don't think most finder's realize they are looking around a tree that was used to hang over 100 people. That one will be archived very soon, so I can put all my micro hides behind me, and work on trying to hide larger container's, such as ammo can's that blend in to fit and are difficult to find. I like to think I've evolved over time and am striving to become a better hider and place much more enjoyable but time consuming cache hides. :D

I like to think I've learned from my mistakes and lame hides.

*snork*

see now, this here is why i don't drink beverages while reading the forums.

:)

First off, I want to apologize for the one LPC I hid way back. :) I have archived it. I'm not a prolific hider but I do feel awful about the lame cache I showed people. I have since then tried to make my caches hides in interesting places, or a bear to get too or a nice walk in the wood's. Since then I've got much more of a positive response from the local community. Although my hides don't get found anywhere near as much as other's in the area.

I think I'm more offended by them all being named after Tool songs. :D C'mon, I'm just kidding there. I can't tell which one was the LPC anyways. I imagine I could on Google Earth though.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

First off, I want to apologize for the one LPC I hid way back. :D I have archived it. I'm not a prolific hider but I do feel awful about the lame cache I showed people. I have since then tried to make my caches hides in interesting places, or a bear to get too or a nice walk in the wood's. Since then I've got much more of a positive response from the local community. Although my hides don't get found anywhere near as much as other's in the area.

I think I'm more offended by them all being named after Tool songs. :D C'mon, I'm just kidding there. I can't tell which one was the LPC anyways. I imagine I could on Google Earth though.

:) Not all of them, but the majority.