How to work around the 50 mile limit

Dr_Dan2

I have tried to change the mile limit for e-mail notification of new caches from 50 to 80 miles, but it keeps defaulting back to 50. Outside of changing my home coordinates, how can I get the website to notify me of new caches more than 50 miles away? I am about to run out of caches to find within my area and many new ones are published just outside the 50 mile boundary. Who decided on this arbitrary value, and how can I work around it?

Dan

:o

On the menu bar left hand side of home page, go to hide and seek a cache.........the options there should give you a 100 mile raduis......... :) (this won't give you auto notice ....but will expanded the search area)

Edited by GIDEON-X

Why do you need notifications for that far away? The only reason I can see where this would be useful is if you traveled often and were hoping for FTFs.

StaticTank

I've found all the caches in my area, and now I look to outlying areas for caches. As I need to find more, I need to go further and further away.

Why do you need notifications for that far away? The only reason I can see where this would be useful is if you traveled often and were hoping for FTFs.

StaticTank

I've found all the caches in my area, and now I look to outlying areas for caches. As I need to find more, I need to go further and further away.

I can understand this however, I can't run out and get an FTF 50 miles from home. Instead when it is time for the weekend or during the week I just have a pocket query for the nearest 100 miles around my home. I check for new caches or places that have been repopulated with new caches.

As it says when you create a new Notification: "Please note: This is not a substitution for searching the web site."

StaticTank

StaticTank

I can understand this however, I can't run out and get an FTF 50 miles from home. Instead when it is time for the weekend or during the week I just have a pocket query for the nearest 100 miles around my home. I check for new caches or places that have been repopulated with new caches.

Perhaps he can? Why begrudge him his notification? What the hell do you lose by the website having this feature?

I know people who drive *more* than 50 miles ONE WAY to work. Lancaster to Culver City.

That gives me a good idea, actually "Instant Notifications along a route".. would be very cool.

-Ben

You have to use different coordinates and make a new notification. TPTB aren't changing it.

Along with turning off notifications by state.

Why does someone always say "TPTB aren't changing it" before letting the TPTB answer for themselves.

Pity forum contributors don't utilise their mouth like another part of the anatomy and only open it when necessary.

Many of the suggestions made here would make things simpler for both users and site rescources.

So why so much negativity by forum contributors, let TPAB be the first to reply in the negative, our pastime needs the possitive drive to shape things the way we desire. <_<

I can't run out and get an FTF 50 miles from home.

I know a lot of people, my self included, that have driven more than 50 for an FTF.

I just looked at my ftf's and have several over 50 and over half of my ftf's are over 30, so yes, people do drive and are willing to drive more for an FTF than a random cache.

Why does someone always say "TPTB aren't changing it" before letting the TPTB answer for themselves.

Here, silence from TPTB is the same is the as "they aren't changing it"

Logic dictates that if TPTB do not say anything, there will be no change, and if TPTB do speak up, they probably will take action, as is evident by that other thread recently about increasing the number of bookmark lists.

By the way, I drive over 50 miles for FTFs all the time. In fact, since I am currently between jobs, and have plenty of time to geocache, I drive over 50 miles to cache in other areas most of the time, of course I try to do as many as I can while I'm there.

Edited by DukeOfURL01

I have driven over 300 miles for a FTF, I am not saying you shouldn't. What I am saying about this, is that it isn't normal. If you want to do this create another Notification, you may have an overlap but that is something you will have to deal with.

The reason that some people might say "TPTB aren't changing it" might be beacuse they have said it in another post. You would have to search for this.

Most people cannot drop what they are doing and drive 50 miles to find a cache, the moment they are notified.

Remember this notice is posted when you create a new Notification. "Please note: This is not a substitution for searching the website"

I believe they have limited the radius to 50 miles for a reason. They want you to use the website and not wait for caches to come to you. However I cannot speak for them.

I will drive crazy distances to get an FTF however, I don't see a reason for the notifications to do all your work for you.

StaticTank

Edited by StaticTank

Pity forum contributors don't utilise their mouth like another part of the anatomy and only open it when necessary.

You mean I'm supposed to keep that other part of my anatomy closed?? dadgum! All these years and nobody ever told me that!

You have to use different coordinates and make a new notification. TPTB aren't changing it.

Along with turning off notifications by state.

Many of the suggestions made here would make things simpler for both users and site rescources.

So why so much negativity by forum contributors, let TPAB be the first to reply in the negative, our pastime needs the possitive drive to shape things the way we desire. <_<

Sometimes a forum contributer remembers a prior thread where Jeremy or Nate actually responded that they weren't going to change it. That doesn't mean that situations don't change and TPTB change something they have said before that they weren't going to change.

Even when something is a good idea, the regular forum users know that it takes time for these suggestions to be implemented. Often they are considered low priority compared to fixing bugs and making other enhancements that have been planed for awhile. The forum regulars will tend to give workarounds to accomplish the same task; in this case, setting up another notification with a different center or offsetting the center from home coordinates to favor a particular direction. Sometime the forum regulars will ask questions to better understand what a person is trying to accomplish, unfortunately the original posters often take this as a negative reaction to their suggestion instead of for what it is - a desire to help.

Even when something is a good idea, the regular forum users know that it takes time for these suggestions to be implemented. Often they are considered low priority compared to fixing bugs and making other enhancements that have been planed for awhile.

Often they are considered low priority compared to making other enhancements that nobody wants anyway. That's one of the problems here. Sometimes it seems that TPTB should listen more to what WE (ie. their customers) think is high priority...

Even when something is a good idea, the regular forum users know that it takes time for these suggestions to be implemented. Often they are considered low priority compared to fixing bugs and making other enhancements that have been planed for awhile.

Often they are considered low priority compared to making other enhancements that nobody wants anyway. That's one of the problems here. Sometimes it seems that TPTB should listen more to what WE (ie. their customers) think is high priority...

Also, WE (forum contributors) are only a tiny minority of the caching community, so doing things based on what is said here doesn't give a true representation of the overall caching community.

Edited by Skippermark

+1

+1

If you think so, give me control of your finances. I promise I'll do what's in your best interest based on what everyone else says is what we should do... :huh: