Geocaching and Metal detecting

redjada

I don't believe geocaches/geocoins can be burried, but you probably could hide a cache in the area

I didn't mean Geo coins. I was talking hiding a cache. And in the description include something like.

"For the metal detector people out there, I have also hidden a 1964 silver dollar with in 30ft of this cache. Finders keepers."

Anyone think this is feasible?

I didn't mean Geo coins. I was talking hiding a cache. And in the description include something like.

"For the metal detector people out there, I have also hidden a 1964 silver dollar with in 30ft of this cache. Finders keepers."

Anyone think this is feasible?

It actually sounds kinda cool. But make sure you announce when the coin is gone or you'll have a 40ft+ circle of plowed up earth that was destroyed by the geocachers digging for the coin.

I was wondering if anyone has hidden a cache and at the same time hidden some coins (or something) in the area to be found with a metal detector? Something I'm thinking about doing. Just wondering if its allowed?

I do both and the problem I have is finding Caches in places were I would love to detect but it is not allowed. O well, nice idea.

I live up north in Michigan where there is snow on the ground for half of the year. I just bought a metal detector and it sure makes finding caches in the snow a LOT easier!

What about developing a multi stage cache just for metal detectors? You could get dog tags engraved and tape one side with cammo duct tape and hide them in trees or on the ground. I think I might do just that when the snow clears.

Hi redjada,

Perhaps burying a coin is not the best idea, it could result in people digging and destroying the area. Next thing you know geocaching will be banned there. With the pressure we are already under to stop geocaching in various natural locations perhaps it might be better if we kept the two apart. I would hate to only be able to find town micros!

Haha! I have a great cache story about a metal detector. A new cache was posted in our town (GC1FJGM) and almost all of our local area geocachers swarmed it at the same time. Long story short was, we couldn't find it! We new it was metal based on the name and info, so one guy went and got his metal detector! Lo and behold, we found the cache using the metal detector! <_< heheeh... Check out the image gallery of that cache and you can see the cacher using the metal detector up in the bushes! :(

I am also a crazy metal detectorist. I love treasure hunting. I could talk for hours with total strangers about treasure. But I would not hide a cache that deliberately mentioned detecting for coins. You will end up with people just digging around the cache trying to find the buried treasure.

I do use my detector when I am hunting caches in the snow. I just read the descriptions and look for ammo cans or any containers that are metal. Here is a log for a cache that was buried about 2' under snow and rocks. Mikes Tool Box

We live in an area that often will have 4-6 feet of snow in the ugly months of winter. Metal detector works wonders when your looking for an ammo can, though you look pretty ridiculous with all that equipment - especially at night time! :laughing:

Thanks for all the feed back. I was curios to what everyone thought about the idea. And seeing by the reply's, I don't think Ill try it.

I'm going to attempt to hide my first cache this weekend, as long as the snow holds off.

Thanks for the help.

RedJada