PN-40 Owners

I think you'd have to import via Topo7 the 'old way". The paperless functions only appear if you do it via the "send to GPS" function on gc.com. The upcoming Cache register software from delorme will fix that.

I had the paperless info using Topo 7 to load the unit. The hint was there and the page text was there. But when I run the macro, or try the other suggested ways of showing the GC#, the cache info is no longer there.

I think you'd have to import via Topo7 the 'old way". The paperless functions only appear if you do it via the "send to GPS" function on gc.com. The upcoming Cache register software from delorme will fix that.

I had the paperless info using Topo 7 to load the unit. The hint was there and the page text was there. But when I run the macro, or try the other suggested ways of showing the GC#, the cache info is no longer there.

Have you tried the send to GPS feature?

No, that only gives me one cache at a time, so I'm really not interested.

No, that only gives me one cache at a time, so I'm really not interested.

Send PQ's to the PN-40!

What exactly are these paperless functions that people are referring to anyway? If I load a GPX PQ to my PN 40 I already get the hint and cache page text. I don't have to use send to GPS or any scripts. Is there something else?

That is I get the cache info as long as I'm willing to accept the cache name as the waypoint name instead of the GC#. Once I try any of the suggestions to force the GC#, the cache descriptions disappear from the unit, though I can still see the info in the GPX file when I view it in Notepad.

I'd try the script that Coreynjoey referred to so I can see what I'm missing, but Firefox 3.0 doesn't work on my PC for some reason. I had to go back to 2.0.

What exactly are these paperless functions that people are referring to anyway? If I load a GPX PQ to my PN 40 I already get the hint and cache page text. I don't have to use send to GPS or any scripts. Is there something else?

As I understand it, you can log the cache as "found" in the field, enter a note in the GPS, then plug in via USB, set the unit to "storage" mode, and upload a file to gc.com via Field Notes to have your logs entered.

The truck with my PN-40 on it can't get here fast enough.

What exactly are these paperless functions that people are referring to anyway?

I have written a GSAK macro that will allow you to get the full "paperless" fields from GSAK to a PN-40. This means any planning notes you might have in the User Notes and User Data fields can help improve your paperless efficiency similar to what's possible on the Garmin 60CSx/CO/OR. It will also send the date of the last find and the status of the last 4 searches. With a few limitations (like spoiler pics), you can get most anything you have in GSAK to the PN-40. The macro works off the current filter using the GC Code (rather than name) and will generate a GPX file that must then be loaded to the PN-40 via DeLorme's Topo 7. That means it has the 800 character, no field notes, etc. limitations of not using the Send-to-GPS Plug-In.

I'm traveling, but will post the macro this weekend ...

Edited by Tigerz

That is I get the cache info as long as I'm willing to accept the cache name as the waypoint name instead of the GC#. Once I try any of the suggestions to force the GC#, the cache descriptions disappear from the unit, though I can still see the info in the GPX file when I view it in Notepad.

I'd try the script that Coreynjoey referred to so I can see what I'm missing, but Firefox 3.0 doesn't work on my PC for some reason. I had to go back to 2.0.

Brian, if you load a cache from the cache page (send to GPS), you'll get all the info with the GC# and such, much like the cache page looks. Also, you will be able to mark your find and make field notes on the GPS, which then can be downloaded to the computer, making logging the finds sooo much easier. Give it a try, go to any cache, download it from the cache page and then simply log your find (write a note or log and then delete). if you go the whole process, you'll see your field notes and everything. If you need help, give me a yell or post here!!

Brian, if you load a cache from the cache page (send to GPS), you'll get all the info with the GC# and such, much like the cache page looks. Also, you will be able to mark your find and make field notes on the GPS, which then can be downloaded to the computer, making logging the finds sooo much easier. Give it a try, go to any cache, download it from the cache page and then simply log your find (write a note or log and then delete). if you go the whole process, you'll see your field notes and everything. If you need help, give me a yell or post here!!

I see. It's sort of an enhanced version of what I now have.

I see. It's sort of an enhanced version of what I now have.

Makes the unit totally paperless!!

Also, I noted you commented on the battery life when put in the PN-40...it loves regular batteries!! Use either the rechargeables from the stores and keep a spare set with you OR (and this is my recommendation), buy the power kit and never need to worry about it again!! The screen saver that comes with the power kit is really thick and does mess with the view just a small amount, so if you're already having trouble seeing the screen, you might want to find a clearer screensaver!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

What exactly are these paperless functions that people are referring to anyway?

You get the kind of features shown in this blog post. They'll be coming down the pike when they get the Cache Register out the door, but currently it requires loading with the Send to GPS plug-in.

I'm under an impression that 2.0 won't fly with this script...depending on why 3.0 wouldn't work on your machine, you might be able to use 3.0 with the offline version of the script.

Gah! My PN40 is dead. On hold w support now.

This plus the problems you were having of losing 3d fix and intermittent lock-ups lead me to believe you've been unlucky and just got a lemon unit. Perhaps after talking to Delorme tech support you can get a replacement unit rather than getting that one repaired.

Gah! My PN40 is dead. On hold w support now.

;)

Well now... I think I won't be playing with that script.

I didn't use the script

This plus the problems you were having of losing 3d fix and intermittent lock-ups lead me to believe you've been unlucky and just got a lemon unit. Perhaps after talking to Delorme tech support you can get a replacement unit rather than getting that one repaired.

The replacement unit is on its way. If it gets here as promised I'll have to put DeLorm right with Garmin for support.

I was thinking that perhaps the problem was with the beta firmware. It locked today, so I removed the battery for a second to reset it and it never came back to life.

Brian,

Just to go back a bit.

when you do a Send to GPS from the cache page you can get info including the past 10 logs totaling up to 15000 characters. Through TOPO7 you only get 800 characters total. Plus the Field Notes feature is awesome!

Yeah, I was getting the 800 characters. Some cache pages were truncated. Heck I'm good with that. What I don't get is why I would lose that info whenever I tried to force the unit to use the GC#. It was still there in the file, I checked.

Well I'm done experimenting until my replacement unit arrives. Hey, maybe they'll send me an SE for my troubles :laughing: .

Well I'm done experimenting until my replacement unit arrives. Hey, maybe they'll send me an SE for my troubles ;) .

If that were the case I am sure "everybody" would be having problems! :laughing:;) Good luck with the replacement and be sure and get yourself a big 16 or 32 gig SDHC card to load all those maps and images! I am runnning an 8 gig using about 5 but I can see the need for more sooner or later.

I was thinking that perhaps the problem was with the beta firmware. It locked today, so I removed the battery for a second to reset it and it never came back to life.

Some people who had that happen reported that if they pulled the battery overnight, that when they tried to power-up the next morning it would work again.

Glad you're getting another unit to play with. That one sounded a mite off.

Well I'm done experimenting until my replacement unit arrives. Hey, maybe they'll send me an SE for my troubles ;) .

If that were the case I am sure "everybody" would be having problems! :laughing:;) Good luck with the replacement and be sure and get yourself a big 16 or 32 gig SDHC card to load all those maps and images! I am runnning an 8 gig using about 5 but I can see the need for more sooner or later.

Received the 16 gig card yesterday and I promptly filled it up. Topo 7 is apparently a memory hog! I get most of the US on a 2 gig card with City Navigator. With Topo 7 I had to be careful about which states I selected and they still ate up 15 gigs. Then again, do I really need maps for Kentucky, Idaho and Kansas? Never been there and I have no reason to believe I will any time soon.

Not sure if the guys at Delorme want me publicizing this but that's exactly what they did for me. I bought the base model at Amazon as soon as they hit the shelves (had it preordered actually) and had problems with it. Delorme overnighted a replacement to me right away. It was the SE model because that's all they had available. That easily convinced me their customer service was the best in the biz.

I was wondering this myself. How can the whole US fit on a 2 gig with CN but not even two stats with the same type info on topo7 disk?

I'm really lost. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong.

City Navigator only includes routable roads. The precut map disks that come with the -40 contain both routable roads and topo.

Not sure if the guys at Delorme want me publicizing this but that's exactly what they did for me. I bought the base model at Amazon as soon as they hit the shelves (had it preordered actually) and had problems with it. Delorme overnighted a replacement to me right away. It was the SE model because that's all they had available. That easily convinced me their customer service was the best in the biz.

Crossing my fingers ;)

I was wondering this myself. How can the whole US fit on a 2 gig with CN but not even two stats with the same type info on topo7 disk?

City Navigator only includes routable roads. The precut map disks that come with the -40 contain both routable roads and topo.

Actually I have City Navigator for much of the US and Topo for much of the east coast on my 2 Gig card. Topo 7 is certainly memory intensive.

Edited by briansnat

How does everybody carry their PN40? It's one of the negatives I've noticed so far that there is no clip or attachment mechanism. The Garmin Colorado has that excellent carabiner clip. My 60CSX has a very convenient swivel clip.

The PN40 has nothing but a case available, and a lanyard. I'm not interested in taking my unit in and out of a case while using it, or having it banging around my chest hanging from the lanyard.

Is there some third party holder out there, or perhaps a protective case with a belt clip?

How does everybody carry their PN40? It's one of the negatives I've noticed so far that there is no clip or attachment mechanism. The Garmin Colorado has that excellent carabiner clip. My 60CSX has a very convenient swivel clip.

The PN40 has nothing but a case available, and a lanyard. I'm not interested in taking my unit in and out of a case while using it, or having it banging around my chest hanging from the lanyard.

Is there some third party holder out there, or perhaps a protective case with a belt clip?

I am sure I have seen posts from people who are using various third-party holders. Also the Delorme holster, sometimes clipped to a pack strap on the shoulder (to maximize upward exposure of the patch antenna). The best home-brew rig I have seen is a thin split-ring keyholder and a 'biner. The split-ring keyholder fits through the lanyard hole in the unit and the 'biner runs through the ring.

Personlly, I carry mine in a pocket most of the time. Don't like the lanyard around the neck because it's too short to use without removing it. And I don't like having flopping things around my neck, especially on steep hills and in heavy brush.

Brian, I like this clip case from Nite Ize that I use with my CO 300 and 60Cx. Very rugged, clips well to a belt, has a strong loop on top to attached to a pack via biner, and has room for extra AAs, SD cards, etc. Should fit for the PN-40 as well, and the price is good.

A little off the subject,but when you download aerial images what do you set and to what for the closest veiw and clearest?

Thanks

You have to open the Handheld Export tab and "cut" the maps/images prior to export to the handheld.

I select 1 minute chunks and then do a save.

Look for the "Options" button and then the "Handheld" tab.

Put a check mark by the imagery type that you want to "cut".

I use:

USGS 3DTQs: ZL 12 - 14

Sat 10s: ZL 10 - 12

DOQQs: ZL 14 - 16

CDOQQs: ZL 12 - 16

Hi-Res City 133s: ZL 15 - 17

Then save and transfer to handheld.

I'd cut just two by twos (they will be quick) to experiment with.

Trial and Error are your Friends.

For refresh/redraw speeds, I go no more than 1GB per map/image file when satisfied with that which I have.

Plenty more good help here:

http://forums.delorme.com/

Brian, I like this clip case from Nite Ize that I use with my CO 300 and 60Cx. Very rugged, clips well to a belt, has a strong loop on top to attached to a pack via biner, and has room for extra AAs, SD cards, etc. Should fit for the PN-40 as well, and the price is good.

I'm not crazy about the case idea, meaning a case that you constantly have to take the GPS out of. I'd rather have some sort of clip that keeps the unit readily available. The 60CSX swivel mount is perfect, or a form fitting case with a clip like the one Garmin sells with the eTrex units. They have to have something like this for the PN40

A little off the subject,but when you download aerial images what do you set and to what for the closest veiw and clearest?

Thanks

You have to open the Handheld Export tab and "cut" the maps/images prior to export to the handheld.

I select 1 minute chunks and then do a save.

Look for the "Options" button and then the "Handheld" tab.

Put a check mark by the imagery type that you want to "cut".

I use:

USGS 3DTQs: ZL 12 - 14

Sat 10s: ZL 10 - 12

DOQQs: ZL 14 - 16

CDOQQs: ZL 12 - 16

Hi-Res City 133s: ZL 15 - 17

Then save and transfer to handheld.

I'd cut just two by twos (they will be quick) to experiment with.

Trial and Error are your Friends.

For refresh/redraw speeds, I go no more than 1GB per map/image file when satisfied with that which I have.

Plenty more good help here:

http://forums.delorme.com/

Thanks

I was a little scared when I bought my -40 but all of you and Delorme have helped me a lot. I do have a lot to learn but it seams to be getting easier.

Got my PN40 Thursday and played around, got the caches loaded without too much trouble. I used the script to send a PQ to the unit, but didn't have the plug in from DeLorme installed. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, it went like clockwork! Took it out today and was 4/4. 2 showed me 0 ft from the cache, one was 3 ft off and one was almost 12 ft off, but I don't think it was my GPSr. So far the only thing I can see as a drawback is the battery life, but with the power kit and rechargeables, that isn't too much of an issue. I still have a lot to learn on it but what I have learned so far gets me to the cache! :laughing: Thanks to all for suggestions, tips and comments.

Just guessing here as I am not familiar with the CNs, but are they holding the same type info?

The Topo USA 7.0 maps are just that, true 3D topos with contour lines, shaded relief, ground cover, etc.

Do the CNs have all that?

On the subject of using 2GB cards, I bought a bunch on 1 and 2GB cards when the PN-20s first came out 2 years ago.

Now, with the unlimited download from DeLorme of the USGS 3DTQ and photo imagery for the annual subscription for $30, I'm using my 1 & 2GB cards as SWAG, trade items and leaving them in caches. :unsure:

Just guessing here as I am not familiar with the CNs, but are they holding the same type info?

The Topo USA 7.0 maps are just that, true 3D topos with contour lines, shaded relief, ground cover, etc.

Do the CNs have all that?

On the subject of using 2GB cards, I bought a bunch on 1 and 2GB cards when the PN-20s first came out 2 years ago.

Now, with the unlimited download from DeLorme of the USGS 3DTQ and photo imagery for the annual subscription for $30, I'm using my 1 & 2GB cards as SWAG, trade items and leaving them in caches. :unsure:

Hey Cowboy,

CN (City Navigator) is Garmin's detailed routable road maps only, no topo.

City Navigator NT (different packs for all over the world) are highly compressed maps containing accurate (not annoyingly shifted-200feet-to-one-side topo-extracted roads) road locations, with one way info, auto-routable, road sign information ("take left to Durham") and 6million POI. FAAAR less info than the equivalent delorme imagery (but heck provides something that delorme has yet to offer...competent autoroutable maps of the US and abroad). Garmin "Topo" are the 100K topographic map with DRM shading, contours, land cover, (non routable for the USA Topo flavour) and topo map POI....also far less MB than Delorme maps. Garmin are releasing 24K version topo maps, west coast covered so far. Garmin raster topo maps for the UK also exist.

Edited by Maingray

City Navigator NT (different packs for all over the world) are highly compressed maps containing accurate (not annoyingly shifted-200feet-to-one-side topo-extracted roads) road locations, with one way info, auto-routable, road sign information ("take left to Durham") and 6million POI. FAAAR less info than the equivalent delorme imagery (but heck provides something that delorme has yet to offer...competent autoroutable maps of the US and abroad). Garmin "Topo" are the 100K topographic map with DRM shading, contours, land cover, (non routable for the USA Topo flavour) and topo map POI....also far less MB than Delorme maps. Garmin are releasing 24K version topo maps, west coast covered so far. Garmin raster topo maps for the UK also exist.

Ok, great answer and it all makes sense. Thanks.