Survey: Colorado vs Oregon

Tequila

Not sure if this is allowed in the forum. If it isn't, please close the topic.

I would like to survey the community to get a more complete picture of whether or not the Colorado is more or less reliable than the Oregon.

Please respond to this message and add your name to the bottom of the list indicating how many times you had to replace/repair either unit. In my case, I had to replace the Colorado 3 times and once I got an Oregon it has run fine. So my response looks like below.

Thanks for your responses. And yes, I know the results are unscientific.

Tequila Colorado - 3 Oregon - 0

1) My wife could not open the battery cover on the Colorado as it was difficult due to a poor design.

2) Got tired of the rock-n-roller wheel. It really sucks for text entry.

3) Garmin offered to replace my Colorado with an Oregon so I took them up on it. I'm glad I did.

The Colorado was a good unit but Garmin seems to be putting that line out to pasture. The touchscreen and form factor is really nice on the Oregon. My vote is for the Oregon.

I've been through 5 Colorado Units and finally ended up getting an Oregon. I've had that one Oregon unit ever since.

One Colorado, no problems.

It is kind of a silly "survey" as it will biased towards those with problems and will not cover a complete spectrum of owners.

In addition, the Oregon came out later and benefited from the Colorado's software development. A more fair comparison is only to include COs with firmware that came out after the Oregon was available.

I really like my Colorado 400t, I bought it after the Oregon came out and compared them in the store. I just thought the rNr interface of the Colorado would work better with gloves. I've never had to write more then a waypoint name and I don't think it's any slower entering text then my Legend.

It is kind of a silly "survey" as it will biased towards those with problems and will not cover a complete spectrum of owners.

In addition, the Oregon came out later and benefited from the Colorado's software development. A more fair comparison is only to include COs with firmware that came out after the Oregon was available.

Clearly stated in the OP that it is not a scientific survery.

Feel free to start your own survey.

Count so far"

Colorado: 9 Oregon: 1

Well, I can't speak for the Oregon, but I love my Colorado! Text entry is a bit slow, but I am used to it now. I have to wonder what text entry on the Oregon is like with gloves on. It may be fine. I also don't see why Garmin couldn't make the text entry more like that of the Explorist line. It was still a bit slow but quicker than the Colorado. A simple Firmware update could change that. IMHO I am not sure what makes people think the Colorado is being left behind. Perhaps I missed something in a thread somewhere.

Anyway, for what it's worth, put me down for a Colorado.

I have an Oregon 400t and a GPS V, both by Garmin. The thing I really didn't like with the GPS V was the toggle, toggle everything. I absolutely love the Oregon, it is very easy to use and fulfills all the needs I have for both road and trail. The color screen is wonderful as are the maps, both topo and city navigator (which I added), Probably the best features which I think are great are the paperless geocaching (I think the Colorado has this too) and most of all the touch screen!!! I recently updated to v. 2.8 and it has been very nice. It came with v. 2.2. V. 2.8 did add some features which I really missed and like now to have.

I am on my second Colorado 400t, and am not too happy with it. The old one had a terrible drift problem that would place me up to two blocks away from my position, amongst other issues. The new one still isn't as accurate as my iPhone, and it bounces around a lot more than I would expect for a top-of-the-line unit. I have only taken the new 400t out twice since I got it from Garmin, and it was raining both days. I want to try again under better weather conditions to see if my iPhone continues to outperform the Colorado.

Found this report on the Wiki, Oregon:

Adds touch screen

Eliminates the Rock'n Roller

Internal ceramic antenna (no quad-helix antenna stub like the Colorado)

No hard buttons other than power button on the side

Uses MicroSD cards instead of SD cards

1" (2.5cm) shorter and slightly more narrow (2.3" x 4.5" x 1.4") than the Colorado (2.4" x 5.5" x 1.4")

Weighs .5oz (14g) less than the Colorado

Adds HotFixTM feature which allows for faster satellite acquisition times

Includes a Track Manager to better manage tracks, a shortcoming of the Colorado

Provides a lanyard attachment point

Colorado owner here.

I could not justify the price of the Oregon and the roller buttons are really not that bad imo.

I love to be able to see all the caches on the map screen and just scroll the mouse to it and click and get all the info for that cache.

Awesome.

The device needs to improve its accuracy.

I still dont know why Garmin dropped it, it is a great unit imo.

Oregon, no issues so far. Prefer it over the CO, ability to touch on a cache and bring up info worth the price of admission alone :unsure: I use it a lot to autonavigate as well, so touchscreen is a natural for that as well when it's mounted on the windscreen. The GUI is setup a bit differently to the CO, some pros and cons- but the ability to switch between profiles via couple of screen touches felt better on the OR and the geocaching mode felt more immediate.

Colorado owner here.

I could not justify the price of the Oregon and the roller buttons are really not that bad imo.

I love to be able to see all the caches on the map screen and just scroll the mouse to it and click and get all the info for that cache.

Awesome.

The device needs to improve its accuracy.

I still dont know why Garmin dropped it, it is a great unit imo.

I also couldn't justify the price of the Oregon, and I'm not a fan of touch screens. I really like my Colorado, and haven't had any problems with it. I actually like the rock n' roller- I can manipulate it in the winter with gloves on, and it seems easier to navigate through the menus and features than the Oregon.

I think one of the misconceptions about the unit is that it only has a roller.

People dont know or dont realize that it still has the same directional buttons inside the roller like the 60csx.

The roller adds extra functionality to the four buttons because it makes zoom in/out and scroll text alot easier.

I am happy with the colorado as well, even thou Garmin seems to have dropped development for it.

It's a shame because I think there is enough market for both the Colorado and the Oregon.

I love my Colorado, but I am not a fan of Garmin.

One thing to remember about Garmin is they seem to have a policy of replacing the GPS and dennying software issues. I know lots of people posted on the forums they were getting thier CO replaced multiple times for what turned out to be firmware issues. I remember when I had my 60CSX I returned it once and it still did the same thing (it would lock up at certian places when I would have proximity custom POIs). Then they wanted me to return the new GPS. I went round and round with them telling them it was a firmware issue. About 6 firmware revisions latter they fixed the problem. I also thing a lot of the bad press for the CO was because they released it without adaqute beta testing. I got the 60CSX when it came out and there were lots of problems with it, but the problems with the CO were much greater than with the 60CSX. But even with all its problems, the CO was by far the best GPS you could get when it was released. I like to say I love Garmins but hate Garmin.