Caches not being maintained

blb9556

The title says it all. A cache which was adopted is not being fixed (wet log, broken cap, missing zip tie) After many logs stating this and a few need maintence logs I hit the needs archived button. And guess what? The log is deleted by the owner. What can I do?

Doesn't make any difference if they delete your log. By the time they do a copy has already been sent to the reviewers.

The title says it all. A cache which was adopted is not being fixed (wet log, broken cap, missing zip tie) After many logs stating this and a few need maintence logs I hit the needs archived button. And guess what? The log is deleted by the owner. What can I do?

Doesn't make any difference if they delete your log. By the time they do a copy has already been sent to the reviewers.

Usually they don't take any action. This user has sent me some offensive emails which I forwarded to the abuse address.

In checking the OP's profile, I quickly found a cache that had logs mentioning a wet log and a broken zip tie. If this is the correct cache, I would like to amend my advice by saying if I had posted a Needs Archive on this cache, I'd delete the log myself, then email the reviewer and tell them not to worry about it.

A broken zip tie does not warrant archival, and the wet log was reported yesterday. Found no mention of a broken cap in anyone's logs, including the OP, who says:

icon_smile.gifJanuary 2 by blb9556 (214 found)

Quick Find.

TFTC!!!

If I selected the wrong cache, I apologize.
Correct log. Go down the page and you will see the needs maintenance logs from October.
Saw 'em. All 3 for needing a new zip tie. I still hold that:
A broken zip tie does not warrant archival, and the wet log was reported yesterday. Found no mention of a broken cap in anyone's logs...
Where's the mention of a broken cap anywhere on the page? Hopefully mentioned in your deleted log? Edited by Too Tall John

This is correct. Thanks for helping me by posting accurate information. I received the "needs archived" log notice for this cache.

Oh I didn't think it did that!

Correct log. Go down the page and you will see the needs maintenance logs from October.
Saw 'em. All 3 for needing a new zip tie. I still hold that:
A broken zip tie does not warrant archival, and the wet log was reported yesterday. Found no mention of a broken cap in anyone's logs...
Where's the mention of a broken cap anywhere on the page? Hopefully mentioned in your deleted log?

Personally, I'd love to post an SBA on every cache in North America located in a Target Parking lot, whose cache name is a goofy play on the word "Target". So good job there.

Just kidding, actually, I agree with where Too Tall John seems to be going with this. I think you were a little too quick on the trigger with an SBA here for this cache.

If a cache is in poor condition, shouldn't a Needs Maintenance be posted. I wouldn't appoint myself the duty to deem it ready for archive. I'd just let them know it needs help.

And that is why sometimes people think nothing is done on their 'Needs Archive' logs!

Keystone probably looked at the cache logs within a few minutes of the 'Needs Archive' log, determined that it really is a 'needs maintenance' log, saw that the wet log was only a day old and gave the cache owner the benefit of the doubt and put it on a double top secret 'Look at again in a month' list and went on. Had he found lots of issues he might have disabled the cache to push the cache owner to action, or if it warranted it, an archive log.

Reviewer 'Needs maintenance' logs cannot be deleted by the cache owner (Or maybe it is the 'Disable' logs)

In the issue noted earlier in the thread about the offensive e-mails. Just because you didn't see any action taken doesn't mean that no action was taken. I am pretty sure that Groundspeak takes this type of situation seriously but doesn't make public the actions taken.

In the issue noted earlier in the thread about the offensive e-mails. Just because you didn't see any action taken doesn't mean that no action was taken. I am pretty sure that Groundspeak takes this type of situation seriously but doesn't make public the actions taken.
Not to mention, if I'm following log dates correctly, they couldn't have sent their email too soon before they started this topic.
If a cache is in poor condition, shouldn't a Needs Maintenance be posted. I wouldn't appoint myself the duty to deem it ready for archive. I'd just let them know it needs help.

In this case, it sounds like a NM log should have been posted and not an SBA, but sometimes the owner doesn't log onto the site anymore or refuses to do maintenance, so you could post 25 NM logs, and it won't do any good. The owner isn't going to maintain the cache. If NM logs were posted and the owner hasn't responded, an SBA is the best option because the reviewer can archive the cache after awhile and free up the spot for someone else to place the cache.

I had a similar cache in my area that needed to be archived. There was at least one SBA logged and quite a few DVF. Among those DNFs was a few folks that logged a find stating "found the hiding spot, great park". I sent the local reviewer an email stating that it needed to be archived as it had not had a "Believable" log since May 2008. It was promptly archived.

Here is where the people who NEED AND I MEAN NEED!!! To get a smiley hurt the hobby. Their logs that state they found the hiding spot but didn't sign the log are cryptic and hard to understand. They usually are in a whole nest of DNF logs. This tends to confuse the reviewer and causes there to be inaction for a longer period of time. If you give it an honest search and don't sign the log book, log the DNF. I admit that sometimes I do not log DNF when I don't get the chance at an honest search (ie. muggles, kids screaming to go home).

In short if you found the log book strewen out and the plastic baggie then you need to pick up the mess. Post a NM and personally contact the CO. If there is no response you can post a SBA and contact the reviewer with the information that you have, like the busted cache and the condition of the cache hide.

This is correct. Thanks for helping me by posting accurate information. I received the "needs archived" log notice for this cache.

Oh I didn't think it did that!

Perhaps it doesn't, I'm not sure.

But some reviewers might have a notification set up for Needs Mainetnance and Needs Archiving logs within their jurisdiction.

Edited by trainlove