COINTEST: Be a Helpful Elf...

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Last year at Christmas, I found myself stuck at my parents house with not much to do, no transportation, and no Caches nearby. I decided to spend some time in the forums, where a lot of new Cachers might be looking for help. The Challenge here is to provide some Helpful answers to questions from Newcomers during the Holiday. Here's how to play...

Time Frame...

December 24 through December 28

To Qualify...

Provide at least TEN helpful answers to newcomers (Those who have joined the site AFTER Halloween '08).

Anywhere in the GeoCaching.com Forums

To Enter...

After you are Qualified(but before the New Year)...

Add a post here that notes your qualification, and that you are entering or,

Add a post here that Nominates someone else that is qualified.

(EACH entry or Nomination must be in a seperate post)

Winning...

Winners will be selected at random from all qualified Entries(Qualification will be verified by me after the drawing). This means that I will draw a winner, then, I will go and read their posts from that time frame to make sure there were ten "Helpful" posts.

The Prizes...

Two prizes of "Wearing of the Colors" will be awarded, and maybe some others Coins also,

If those are not "Your Colors" You may choose a "Mr. Jiffy's Summer Meltdown"

The Fine Print...

After the winners are drawn, I will read the posts for the winning entries, and see if they qualify as "Helpful". You may nominate as many people as you like, but you may only nominate each person ONCE. You may only post ONE entry for yourself. There is no limit to how many nominations a person may reveive(From DIFFERENT people). I make all decisions, and they are final. If you make a Nomination, you will need to be able to provide a shipping address if they win. I reserve the right to adjust the rules as needed. Your "Helpful" answers can be anywhere in the GeoCaching.com Forums, and will still qualify if someone else has already given that answer, but it cannot be just a quote or copy. You must write the answers yourself.

hiya drneal, as far as i can tell, you cant upload from your desktop. you can post up a picture from a picture hosting site like photobucket or flickr.

once you have the picture on your photobucket account.

you right click on the image url, to save.

right click and paste it on your open reply page here

highlight it

then click on the insert image icon on the tool bar for your reply page

then once you have written whatever you need to add, you can then post up your reply post.

i hope i have managed to make it understandable.

Please remember this is a cointest, don't stray too far off topic.

On topic, if you remove the photo from the server you are storing it on, it will no longer be viewable in your post. It will come up "Image Not Available" or image not hosted or something like that. So, store it somewhere that you can keep it for a long time.

Please remember this is a cointest, don't stray too far off topic.

On topic, if you remove the photo from the server you are storing it on, it will no longer be viewable in your post. It will come up "Image Not Available" or image not hosted or something like that. So, store it somewhere that you can keep it for a long time.

I always upload the images to one of my Caches or TBs to post them in these forums.

I was looking at the Calendar, and decided that many newcomers may not get around to asking questions until the weekend is over, so the "Helpful" period wil be open through the 29th. As one person also pointed out to me, there are many people who have always been "Helpful" even with no reward at stake, so if you know of such people, you can submit special nominations for long term Helpfulness(seperate consideration from the Cointest).

I was looking at the Calendar, and decided that many newcomers may not get around to asking questions until the weekend is over, so the "Helpful" period wil be open through the 29th. As one person also pointed out to me, there are many people who have always been "Helpful" even with no reward at stake, so if you know of such people, you can submit special nominations for long term Helpfulness(seperate consideration from the Cointest).

I'm betting there'll be many newb questions coming in abnout how to use that new GPS, how to find caches etc...

I'm betting there'll be many newb questions coming in abnout how to use that new GPS, how to find caches etc...

That's the Idea!!

Well, I would nominate myslf, but as I am not sure that I made 10 helpful posts to newbee questions, I will nominate fairyhoney instead, I am not sure she did either, but odds are pretty good that she did, as she always is a helpfull soul... :D

To look into someones forum Posts...Click over to view their profile page, and there is a link that says you can view forum posts for this user. That way you can see what they have been saying lately.

As I understand it, the conditions of the cointest are:

- messages had to be posted between 24-28 December

- messages had to be posted in response to someone who joined the Forum after 31OCT08.

I come pretty close, if you stretch the definition of helpful: these messages meet the requirement precisely:

- Totally Confused...

- Magellen or Garmin

- New to Caching...

- Help me please...

- Winter Caching?

- What to do with a coin...

- NooB question...

I posted two replies that could conceivably be classed as "helpful" in that last thread, actually, which (if that counts) would bring my number up to eight. I posted one message in the Dressing up your Geocoin's thread during the required time period -- thought it was not actually in response to any new cacher's post, it might be considered helpful to a new person. So that brings me up to nine (if it counts).

I've made a number of other posts I hope were helpful within the time period, but the posters had joined before Halloween, so they don't count.

Why bother posting all this? Just in case you decide to loosen the requirements, WRR. Otherwise, though, I don't qualify.

I'm still in the process of trying to find people who do, though, 'cause I would love to nominate someone. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have something useful to post. : )

If I may nominate people who are not regulars to this particular sub-Forum, then I'd like to nominate the following two people:

StarBrand

-----------

- Snow and Geocaching

- Hints to GPS

- loading cache sites

- GPS help

- TomTom?

- How to download as GPX (two posts)

- logging a find (2 posts)

- Oregon 400

vwaldoguy

------------

- Hints to GPS (4 posts)

- loading cache sites

- How to download as GPX

- logging a find (2 posts)

- downloading caches to gps

- Oregon 400

Well there was less participation in this one than I hoped for, and I've gotten so overwhelmed with things to do that I'm not going to research if the nominations actually met the qualifications. I will be sending prizes to all who were nominated during the right time frame.

The Listed prizes will go to StarBrand and vwaldoguy

Other coins will go to Hollara, Jackalgirl and fairyhoney

Thank you all for playing.

OK to close this one.

THANK YOU for the nomination and to the other winners - Hey, we are ALL winners in our own ways!

I got my cool coin in the mail. THANK YOU , Robert. Now after this weekend and trying to do my tax return, I'll get them activated and on their way ! ! !

"Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth" :laughing: