We have a delequent Vendor thread what about the same for customers?

AtwellFamily

Well...I didn't mean to get off topic :D

I guess the question - what makes a customer delequent might be in order.

The topic of reservations and failing to honor a reservation seemed to have come-up. This is where I was trying to aim my analogy (the travel industry). Does this make a customer "list" worthy? Should we publicly list the names of those that make a reservation and then don't take the coin?

In that case - it isn't a reservation per se. Let's call it what it is - a guarantee and/or a pre-order with delayed payment.

Regardless. The communication has to be up-front on both ends. For example, if you reserve this coin you are guaranteeing to buy it and it is guaranteed to be produced and delivered at such-and-such a time. If there is any potential for misunderstanding, then I would be hesitant to start listing names.

I'm not in favor of a list posted where customer's behavior is a subjective assessment of what constitutes bad behavior.

Maybe we need a geo-court? The world needs for lawyers and conflict! :D

By-the-way.

The travel industry deals with this problem through a process called "over-booking". It can be very annoying if you get bumped from a flight and/or a hotel room. The do it to protect themselves from unsold inventory. After all, you can't sell last night's empty room today.

I'm not suggesting that coin makers do this. I'm suggesting open-minting editions and a business model that takes basic inventory management into consideration instead of being a victim when someone fails to follow-through on a reservation.

Having 1-2% of those making reservations pull-out shouldn't cause devastation and no listing of names here would be required. If someone wishes to reserve a significant percentage of the total production, then I think a deposit is both warranted and advisable.

Here is my opinion: neither list should exist. :D someone said it!

Step back and take a big look. You're buying and selling trinkets on the internet from people you've never met, the majority of which transactions are being monetarily aided by a online "bank" that IS NOT A BANK. These "businesses" are still people. I love my friends here, I really do, but this is the real world and sometimes you just get screwed over and sometimes you can't help screwing up. I'm yet to be royally screwed (in this community anyway), but I know I'm bound to at some point. Whether it's from a vendor, a buyer or the organization relied upon to have a smooth transaction between the two... There is a risk that you just can't eliminate and if you are going to participate in the fun then you just have to accept that it isn't fun 100% of the time.

There are risks that you should be able to avoid, and others that can be minimized. But the risk of a person, (buyer, seller, or whoever) simply changing their mind, making some bad decisions, or just randomly deciding to be a jerk does exist, and there is just nothing anyone can do about it.

Now please dont anybody take it as a bashing! I ran my own multi-faceted business for years. I can tell you that from many many business dealings I had MORE success, enjoyment and profit from deals sealed with less than a handshake than I did from deals signed over meetings and contracts.

I'll continue to buy and sell with no more caution than I always have. Practicing common sense and avoiding those that turn this celebration of art, giving and exploration into profit management and contagious materialistic temperament.

So now I am out $300 becuase I turst another coin person. I was nice enough to order a set of Jukeboxes for someone and they siad they could pay in 2 weeks. That was back in November. I have been told next Monday too many times now.

These will be up for sale in the Jukebox thread when I get a picture of them. I need to open the box and take some pictures. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!

So now I am out $300 becuase I turst another coin person. I was nice enough to order a set of Jukeboxes for someone and they siad they could pay in 2 weeks. That was back in November. I have been told next Monday too many times now.

These will be up for sale in the Jukebox thread when I get a picture of them. I need to open the box and take some pictures. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!

I'm so sad for you! $300 is alot of money to lose!

~~SNIP~~

Now while I am at it :) I want to bring up artwork for customers who want coins done. I can think of another thread (vendor/designer now gone) where they took money for designs and didn't produce them well it works the other way also. I have and I'm sure other vendors have also been on the receiving end of 'please draw me this/please draw me that" I want a coin minted. Well the majority of the customers in this case got their drawings/changes/ etc. and never paid a dime. Again, these are the things that venfors never bring up to the public and whine about. Time/effort go into these things and to turn around and walk away without so much as a word or let me pay you something. I'm just not getting why people would even think this is ok to do, right along with not paying for a reservation. It has been a huge disappoinment.

Wow Sephanie, I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you, shame on the people who have done this to you. :blink: You are a very talented designer and I love your work. I hope you do not stop helping people design coins, because as I have mentioned to you in the past, when I get ready to do a coin I would like your help. I can't imagine asking you for your help and not paying for your services. I would have no problem paying you upfront. As a vendor you go out of your way for your customers and I would trust you with a prepayment anytime :D Please don't stop offering your design services, and let these few bad apples spoil it for those of us who will pay you for your talented artistic help. ~Karen

Stephanie, we always take a deposit up front before we put any time into a design unless we have previous history with the client seeing a project through and paying in a timely manner on a previous project with us. Folks shouldn't expect or want custom graphic design services on spec. We spend hours and hours on even the preliminary designs, and as a business time is money. We have a long list of projects on the go and we can't afford to spend time doing a design that may not get produced with us. As with us, your work speaks for your talent and skills, so it's not like you need to prove that you can do it before they commit :laughing: .

Helen

Do they have someone's name on them?

They do. I am not posting this to name names but I am going to sell these on the open market now that I am stuck with them.

I as going to look and see if there might be a way to polish the name off with a dremel, without damaging the coin. I'll let you know when I post these for sale.

untitled.JPG

Here is my opinion: neither list should exist. :blink: someone said it!

...sometimes you just get screwed over and sometimes you can't help screwing up....

The second part summarizes the entire point of the lists you don't think should exist.

We all screw up, and have our quirks (I'm glacially slow for example). Those are not the point of the lists.

The point is about the folks who do the screwing over. Such a list (vendor or customer) should not be taken lightly, in order to prevent the list from screwing over someone who only screwed up. But the ones who make a life out of screwing folks over deserve to be called out for it so we can better spend our time and money on the ones who only screw up every now and then.

So sorry to hear this happened to you. I'm sure you won't have to much trouble selling them.

If that is what is engraved on the coin, it's really not too bad. Could say PoopyScoop or somthing like that. :blink: .

I use a dremel alot for carving, You'll have to polish deep, and all those coins, Sheesh that's alot of work.

This could be the coin that comes with a story. :)

Let us know about purchasing them.

True Geocachers/ Collectors that are on this site seem to make everything alittle better. :laughing:

Opalsns

What I think stinks is that people will order them sometimes by the dozen , which stops others from getting just one. So while those are being held for someone, and nobody can get them, Someone else sells them on ebay for 40.00 and 50.00 dollars. Which some can't afford.

I'm not insulting anyone , wether they be a dealer or just someone getting a couple to fund there collection. You do your own thing!

My point is maybe one should put a limit to the coins one can purchase on presale, if you don't know them. Then everyone can get one.

I hope I wrote this so it is understanable.

I'm not picking on anyone it's just an honest opinion from someone that can't get my computer to work fast enough to get in on one of those CRAZY sales.

Did I make any sense ???? LOL!!!!

Opalsns

3cents .

I think if someone pays for a pre-order it shoudld be shipped in a reasonable time.

I think is someone pre-orders without any funds being transferred then its optional (although its good to live up to yoru word)

I think its great C&P makes you pay upfront for a pre order. keeps things fair, but if you do a pre-order without a fund exchange then you do so at your own risk. Or you could even do a partial payment , or a reserve FEE which will be credited to your order upon payment or the funds are considered restocking fee.

I think if someone wants to reserve a personalized product, that product should not be personalized or ordered for a customer untill payment is made.

I also hate people who buy dozens of coins and leaves me and many others out who just want 1, I think a limit should be imposed upon a new release, say perhaps 5 per address for the first 2 weeks then order as many as you want...

You see this happen alot on major items such as the harry potter books they were a limit of 2 when they came out to make sure everyone who wanted one had a shot.

~~SNIP~~

Now while I am at it :) I want to bring up artwork for customers who want coins done. I can think of another thread (vendor/designer now gone) where they took money for designs and didn't produce them well it works the other way also. I have and I'm sure other vendors have also been on the receiving end of 'please draw me this/please draw me that" I want a coin minted. Well the majority of the customers in this case got their drawings/changes/ etc. and never paid a dime. Again, these are the things that venfors never bring up to the public and whine about. Time/effort go into these things and to turn around and walk away without so much as a word or let me pay you something. I'm just not getting why people would even think this is ok to do, right along with not paying for a reservation. It has been a huge disappoinment.

Wow Sephanie, I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you, shame on the people who have done this to you. :blink: You are a very talented designer and I love your work. I hope you do not stop helping people design coins, because as I have mentioned to you in the past, when I get ready to do a coin I would like your help. I can't imagine asking you for your help and not paying for your services. I would have no problem paying you upfront. As a vendor you go out of your way for your customers and I would trust you with a prepayment anytime :D Please don't stop offering your design services, and let these few bad apples spoil it for those of us who will pay you for your talented artistic help. ~Karen

Stephanie, we always take a deposit up front before we put any time into a design unless we have previous history with the client seeing a project through and paying in a timely manner on a previous project with us. Folks shouldn't expect or want custom graphic design services on spec. We spend hours and hours on even the preliminary designs, and as a business time is money. We have a long list of projects on the go and we can't afford to spend time doing a design that may not get produced with us. As with us, your work speaks for your talent and skills, so it's not like you need to prove that you can do it before they commit :laughing: .

Helen

Thanks Helen for the note, I learned my lesson but instead won't draw for anyone, I just send them to do the artwork with a graphic artist instead :D Problem solved, lol. However if I do make an exception in the future, I will do as you do (deposit).

Mike, I feel for ya.... other than making a certain amount and skipping reservations and presales, you end up taking risks. I got tired of it happening to me and that's why I no longer do either. That's a huge chunk of $$$ to have to eat and hopefully you can make some of it back.

Mike, I feel for ya.... other than making a certain amount and skipping reservations and presales, you end up taking risks. I got tired of it happening to me and that's why I no longer do either. That's a huge chunk of $$$ to have to eat and hopefully you can make some of it back.

I told people I needed payment by a certain date. This person said they could have it on Monday so I sent the order to the mint. You know the rest. Won't do that again, money for group project or no order for that person.

Mike

I as going to look and see if there might be a way to polish the name off with a dremel, without damaging the coin.

Dremel didn't work. I even tried with fingernail polish. One just poliseh then other marked it up. I'll see if the mint knows of a forumal to remove it but I am guessing I'll have to sell them as is.

hi Mike,

polishing off won't work too well unless you have genuine jewellers tools - you will be better off filling with automotive filler or modelling putty perhaps like milliput then painting over with a few layers of enamel - fill sand dry paint sand dry paint sand dry paint rather than cutting in which is rather damaging and irreversible.

or glueing something over the top - cardboard and epoxy? another engraved piece of aluminium which is easy to cut shape and dremel, or drill a few shallow holes and fill with rhinestones????

This somewhat painful thread is useful for working out a kind of 'accepted practice' code for the ma and pa level 'businesses'. I think the real pro's don't get into strife.

By the way do any of you guys do what i do buy and reserve or mint an emergence coin stash? Like I am prepared to sell my collection ( barring mystery coins i didn't purchase) each time I mint a coin - it's my collateral in case of the worse case scenario as I don't have a paid job.

Just Sell Them.

I like the RACE Idea. Everyone that gets a coin can enter it in a race to see how far they travel till say July 4 th.Then the winner gets an original piece of artwork of your choice. I would LOVE to have a piece of your artwork.

They'll sell and the person who screwed you already had enough chances to get them.

JMHO,

Opalsns