Anybody know what this is?

Surferjo

If you really wanta get some giggles, take it into a local police station, tell 'em "I want to turn this in to your Lost & Found" & toss it on the counter, & just watch their reaction.

~*

I love this idea! Just make sure someone behind you is filming their reaction. :D

Don't Taze me, Bro.

*LOL!!!* My brother made me watch that video, and we quoted it at each other for weeks!

http://www.edgewoodhospital.com/video.asp

It may have been used as a casing to load explosives for the demoliton, in areas that are wet, PVC is sometimes used as a casing for explosives to get it positioned correctly and to keep it dry until it is set off.

Be sure to check out the links on that site.

Especially this fun filled one.

http://www.implosionworld.com/index.htm

Edited by Packanack

If you really wanta get some giggles, take it into a local police station, tell 'em "I want to turn this in to your Lost & Found" & toss it on the counter, & just watch their reaction.

~*

I love this idea! Just make sure someone behind you is filming their reaction. B)

Don't Taze me, Bro.

*LOL!!!* My brother made me watch that video, and we quoted it at each other for weeks!

Your brother? You mean to tell me that semi-sentient carnivorous vegetables have brothers? I thought you carnivorous vegetables ate your siblings at birth! Wow! Amazing!

I learn something new every day!

:D

:lol:

When we were teenagers we made 'fireworks' that looked just like that. For some reason we always wrapped tape around them - just like OP's photo. He mentioned in his log of the cache where he found it, there were several of them and they were made of metal - I'm not too bright so I'd have to open the things and see for myself.

Sent him an e-mail to see about the outcome

Edited by WatchDog2020

Ok let me start off by saying sorry, I didn’t mean to leave you hanging. I posted here in hopes that one of you more experienced Cacher's might have come across this item and could shed some light upon it. I still don’t know what it is.

I theorized at first that it was some sort of Mushroom marker, perhaps some magnetic rods inside that would trigger a standard compass as the collectors passed by on the nearby path. As I said I have seen some mushroom collectors in that particular park (straight out of Deliverance BTW) and there were some Mushrooms growing under the area where they were. Again, this is all hypothetical. I spent an hours or so yesterday at work looking up Mushroom sites but to no avail.

They also do rescue dog training in that park but it would have had teeth marks on it if a dog was carrying it in his mouth.

I don’t really think it’s a pipe bomb, I mean why go though all the trouble of making it and than placing it in a spot where 5-7 people pass by every 12 months. But than again this park is on the grounds (now demolished) Edgwood Mental hospital.

qqedgwdbldg.jpg

This shot was taken before the Roof fire. It got way creepier looking after that.

I’m going to swing by again this weekend and grab one last cache in that park not to far from these things. I’ll bring a standard compass to test my (harebrain) magnetic theory.

The name of the cache is Edgewood South GCR8GY if you want to take a look.

~*

I love this idea! Just make sure someone behind you is filming their reaction. :laughing:

Just goes to show how twisted my humor is.. I had to laugh, but at the same time, shake my head in disbelief.

From what i can tell, someone else is basically trying to strike fear in geocachers, by placing what looks like a home-made bomb (which hopefully, it is NOT!) near the location..

I'd go with the suggestions, of leaving it alone (which is already moot point, having picked it up, etc.) reporting the item to the police as suspicious, mention that it WAS handled (so that they can fingerprint the person who handled it in the picture, to eliminate their prints from others on it.)

then, plain and simple... LET THEM HANDLE IT!

If they ask Why/how you found it, Be honest! But also bring a copy of the pamphlet from geocaching.

(downloadable here: Geocaching Pamphlet )

Maybe it's time, we stopped being stealth, and being honest about the hobby... We're losing a lot of places to hide, thanks to the National Parks, People paranoid of Bombs (thank you Homeland Security), and misguided people who seek to destroy a hobby/sport that's designed to get people outside.

(Stepping off soapbox.)

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

And, furthering on my above statement (Stepping back onto the soapbox for just a second).....

Just read the report on another local cache, where the finder was questioned by a muggle who happened by, upon honestly telling them they were geocache hunting, the person let them be.

Also, just read on my latest hide, someone spooked the dog of a house nearby.. The dog's owner asked what they were doing. The cacher, being (in his own words) a poor liar, told him about Geocaching, etc.. Dog's owner offered to help find it with him, and when they found it, the dog's owner mentioned he was interested more.. (Perhaps created a new area cache hunter.) (heading down that way tomorrow, with a few pamphlets)

So, instead of angering a muggle, I may've helped create some competition.. I can live with that. [:-D]

We came across this thing

It's called a "geocache". People who call themselves 'geocachers' hide those in woods and other nice areas, and post their coordinates on the web. Then, other people, also called 'geocachers', go out and find them with the aid of a device called a 'GPS receiver'. That's not always easy because, as you can see in the picture, geocaches can be well camouflaged. This one looks like a bomb of some kind. Very clever.

On behalf of the geocaching community - please put it back where you found it. Sometimes, a geocache is reported missing, spoiling the fun for a lot of geocachers.

Thank you!

We came across this thing partly buried about 20 feet away from a cache. There were 2 of them both extremely heavy. I didn't want to unwrap it so im not sure whats inside.

As I dug though the area a little more I saw some Shrooms growing. Is this some sort of mushroom marker? There are some people Ive seen in this park on Long Island (Edgwood Park) collecting mushrooms from time to time.

Thanks

GeoCache%20strange%20find.jpg

This is easy.If you found 2 of these OBVIOUS and sad imitations of pipe bombs,muggles found the cache,know all about geocaching etc...,and planted them there just for this purpose. Hats off to them.Instead of stealing the cache or leaving some disgusting scribble in the log,they decided to be more creative.

Mushroom marker? I don't think so!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned contacting ALL the hiders of the nearby caches to advise them to possibly diasable their caches while this is being "investigated".

And I thought you lot were totally security concious! :rolleyes:

Why should all caches 'in the area' be disabled?

What do you mean by 'in the area'?

What investigation?

Ok finally had the time to run over and perform a little autopsy on these things.

“Drum Roll please”

And the winner is………………NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

So I sliced them open with a utility knife, one was a few pieces of Re-bar with foam on the end. The other was a solid iron bar also with foam on the end.

They weren’t magnetic at all, well not enough to register on my Tritium Lensatic Compass anyway.

I took a few pics sorry for the disappointing outcome I wish it were something a little more exciting especially since I made you all wait so long for an answer.

Rebar%20in%20the%20woods.jpg

Iron%20rod%20with%20foam%20on%20the%20end.jpgLocation.jpg

TeamSeekAndWeShallFind may have hit the nail on the head here.

This is easy.If you found 2 of these OBVIOUS and sad imitations of pipe bombs,muggles found the cache,know all about geocaching etc...,and planted them there just for this purpose. Hats off to them.Instead of stealing the cache or leaving some disgusting scribble in the log,they decided to be more creative.

Mushroom marker? I don't think so!