Really Dumb Question

Melancholy43920

My dad introduced me to it, and pronounced it 'geo-cash-ing'.

Had he pronounced it 'geo-cash-ay-ing' then I'm sure I would have just ignored him and never taken it up.

.....therefore, if you are going to sashay or saunter, sway or swagger towards the geo-cash,

then you are Geo-cash-ay-ing. :D

:) Thanks for the laugh. The mental image I've got right now is hilarious. LOL.

I tried to put this thought together about this geocaching thingy, but came up with bewilderment as to why/how we pronounce "geocaching" in all these different ways....then my thought came together...What difference does it make. That a now cacher member was swayed by the way geocaching was pronounced to be come a member of this great game is something that I will remember for a awhile. Just "spoofing" a little....I guess the "getting started" forum needed some low teck fuel. Happy Trails

My dad calls it geo-crashing, usually because of the stories I tell him about how I fall off of things a lot.

I call it geo-caching, because that's the way it is supposed to be. :(

I know a co-worker and co-cacher that calls it geo-kay-shing

I know a caching friend that says geo-cash-ay-ing

Go figure!

Well according to geocaching.com it's pronounced geo-cashing - LINK

“Geocaching (pronounced geo-cashing) is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then share the geocache's existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit can then try to locate the geocache. “

Had he pronounced it 'geo-cash-ay-ing' then I'm sure I would have just ignored him and never taken it up.

.....therefore, if you are going to sashay or saunter, sway or swagger towards the geo-cash,

then you are Geo-cash-ay-ing. :ph34r:

:ph34r: Thanks for the laugh. The mental image I've got right now is hilarious. LOL.

Yeah, now I'm picturing Capt Jack Sparrow searching for a cache...

"I can't find the little bugger... maybe if me had more rum? Savvy?"

:ph34r:

People pronouncing the word ka-sha are confusing it with "cachet"

Merriam Webster sez

"Main Entry: ca·chet

Pronunciation: \ka-shā\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from cacher

Date: circa 1639

1 a: a seal used especially as a mark of official approval b: an indication of approval carrying great prestige

2 a: a characteristic feature or quality conferring prestige b: prestige <being rich…doesn't have the cachet it used to — Truman Capote>

3: a medicinal preparation for swallowing consisting of a case usually of rice-flour paste enclosing a medicine

4 a: a design or inscription on an envelope to commemorate a postal or philatelic event b: an advertisement forming part of a postage meter impression c: a motto or slogan included in a postal cancellation

"

"cache" on the other hand

"Main Entry: cache

Pronunciation: \kash\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from cacher to press, hide, from Vulgar Latin *coacticare to press together, from Latin coactare to compel, frequentative of cogere to compel — more at cogent

Date: 1797

1 a: a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements b: a secure place of storage

2: something hidden or stored in a cache

3: a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of frequently or recently used instructions or data —called also cache memory"

note especially usages 1 and 2

Therefore I will walk, hike, or crawl down the cliff on hands and knees to the "kash" and never, ever, sashay to the ka-sha.

hairball

Edited by hairball45

then you are Geo-cash-ay-ing. :ph34r:

:ph34r: Thanks for the laugh. The mental image I've got right now is hilarious. LOL.

Yeah, now I'm picturing Capt Jack Sparrow searching for a cache...

"I can't find the little bugger... maybe if me had more rum? Savvy?"

:ph34r:

OMG you totally read my mind! :D

cache [kash]

–noun

1. a hiding place, esp. one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.: She hid her jewelry in a little cache in the cellar.

2. anything so hidden: The enemy never found our cache of food.

3. Alaska and Northern Canada. a small shed elevated on poles above the reach of animals and used for storing food, equipment, etc.

–verb (used with object)

4. to put in a cache; conceal; hide.

The "kash-AY" pronunciation is a common mispronunciation for that word. It assumes the existence of an acute accent over the letter "e", which is a diacritic mark used for a stressed vowel. Since the word "cache" does not use an acute accent, it's incorrect to assume one is there.

Here's an example of a word that can be spelled with and without an acute accent. It shows how the pronunciation is changes when it's present:

passe [pahs]

–noun French.

the numbers 19 through 36 in roulette.

pas·sé [pa-sey; for 4 also Fr. pah-sey]

noun, plural pas·sés

–adjective

1. no longer fashionable, in wide use, etc.; out-of-date; outmoded: There were many photographs of passé fashions. I thought hand-cranked pencil sharpeners were passé.

Edited by Kohavis