In the beginning...

GeoLobo

In the beginning there was the following people

Dave Ulmer

Mike Teague

Matt Stum

Jeremy Irish

Do any of these people actually geocache today? If so, what are there nicks?

Just learning my history

Thanks

You're kidding, right? You've been at this almost as long as I have. :(

In the beginning there was the following people

Dave Ulmer

Mike Teague

Matt Stum

Jeremy Irish

Do any of these people actually geocache today? If so, what are there nicks?

Just learning my history

Thanks

You're kidding, right? You've been at this almost as long as I have. :(

and.........your point is........im suppose to know there nicks, because I have been geocaching a long time????

Thanks everyone for responding.....however, I am aware of who these people are

question is

1.) do they geocache now?

2.) Do they have nicks on GC?

Looks like some of them have given up

yes, I know Jeremy runs this website (GC). But does he actually geocache (as if he has time)? Does he actually have a GeoNick?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for responding.....however, I am aware of who these people are

question is

1.) do they geocache now?

2.) Do they have nicks on GC?

Looks like some of them have given up

yes, I know Jeremy runs this website (GC). But does he actually geocache (as if he has time)? Does he actually have a GeoNick?

Thanks

He has two nicks, three if you count his 'KBI' sock puppet. (To answer your real question, he does have recent finds.)

Edited by sbell111

Jeremy was recently at an event in Massachusetts after hosting the Groundspeak annual outing. In attendance of the event were many other Groundspeak paid lackies, volunteer reviewers and forum moderators, plus a lot of us regular local cachers.

While inMass Jeremy actually visited some caches that I've previously visited.

And no one cared about it back then, just like they don't now.

Awwww. Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

I agree. But wasn't it Jeremy who invented the Waymarking boondoggle? Kind of as a way to let non-container geocachers disappear frm geocaching.com.

Reading that usenet post by Ulmer, it appears as he invented the "Waymarking" concept just as he did the "geocaching" concept (and "CyberStashing", and probably many other concepts). And just like geocaching, someone else (I don't know who) coined the currently used term (like Mike Stum did with "geocaching"), and a third someone took the concept and name and decided to market it (Jeremy Irish).

I agree. But wasn't it Jeremy who invented the Waymarking boondoggle? Kind of as a way to let non-container geocachers disappear frm geocaching.com.

Did you bother to read the link to Dave Ulmer's post on why in June of 2000, just one month after he hid the first geocache, he was moving on from geocaching to work on what he called the Wondert game - posting the coordinates of places "where just being there is the reward". Sounds a lot like Waymarking to me.

Jeremy must have found the idea interesting, since he registered domain wondert.com a year later and, as sbell111 points out, wondert.com now redirects you to Waymarking.com.

Reading that usenet post by Ulmer, it appears as he invented the "Waymarking" concept just as he did the "geocaching" concept (and "CyberStashing", and probably many other concepts). And just like geocaching, someone else (I don't know who) coined the currently used term (like Mike Stum did with "geocaching"), and a third someone took the concept and name and decided to market it (Jeremy Irish).

This is my player account. I still play.

Dave Ulmer did not invent points of interest. That was clearly invented by God in the Garden of Eden to mark the place of the apple tree. Unfortunately, Eve clicked Go To on her GPS and the rest is history.

He did come up with Wonderts, however. His idea is available for public record if you want to compare and contrast the two concepts. But saying that he invented points of interest is ludicrous.

Here's a quote from Ulmer in the public archives. The old Yahoo group has more.

Wonderts is an expanded form of geocaching where geocaching is simply one of

many different objectives of a GPS hunt. Wonderts are just those weird and

wonderful places on Earth. The Wonderts game uses a special waypoint name in

your GPS to classify, rank, and score your wonderts activity. People who

visit wonderts give them a thumbs up or down by editing the filename in

their own GPS. Their changed wondert names are then uploaded to the Internet

to give the Wonderts a ranking from 1 to 9. A new wondert gets a rank of 5

and people either vote it up or down. If wondert get too many negative votes

it is removed.

I was going through some domain grabs back then and registering all sorts of stuff. During that time Ulmer did some things in geocaching (which I decide not to repeat in respect to the guy who started the activity) that made me childlishly register the domain in, frankly, spite. He and I have grown since then and it pretty much just sits unused now. If Ulmer ever wanted to start wonderts up he is welcome to the domain. I was never really excited about the name or the concept, but points of interest have always been, well, interesting.

Thanks everyone....

I was thinking of doing a trackable coin. I was coining with the ideas of

"The Grandfathers of Geocaching"

"The Founders of Geocaching"

"The Pioneers of Geocaching".

anyway, i was just curious of who were the major players back then....

I was also undecisive of whether or not to use the real names or the GeoNicks, thats why I asked about the geonicks.

So, does anyone know of Jeremy's nick? Or is it a secret?

i like the idea of Moun10bike as the fifth.

thanks

I think that Jeremy guy is still around.

Just not around here, at least not nearly as often as he used to be.

Keystone and I have an deal worked out with MissJenn. She keeps an eye on Jeremy and watches to see if he is looking in on the forums. When she sees that, she slips into his office and asks for advice on how to deal with a certain troublesome reviewer/moderator from Georgia, which makes him roll his eyes and mutter "what now". While he is looking heavenward hoping for some wisdom to rain down, she closes his browser.

Thanks everyone....

I was thinking of doing a trackable coin. I was coining with the ideas of

"The Grandfathers of Geocaching"

"The Founders of Geocaching"

"The Pioneers of Geocaching".

anyway, i was just curious of who were the major players back then....

I was also undecisive of whether or not to use the real names or the GeoNicks, thats why I asked about the geonicks.

So, does anyone know of Jeremy's nick? Or is it a secret?

i like the idea of Moun10bike as the fifth.

thanks

Technically, there can only be one father, two grandfathers, four great grandfathers, etc. For that reason, I would suggest the idea of "pioneers" and discuss their roles in the advancement of this obsession.

Dave Ulmer - the first geocache

Jeremy Irish - the site (you may also mention Bryan and Elias)

Moun10bike - the first geocoin

Puppymonster - nothing special for geocaching, just an awesome puppy dog.

And everyone in this thread (and others) that have been ragging on Waymarking have made it on Jeremy's "list".

Just sayin'.

Hey, I was only kidding. I had a smiley face or something, didn't I? I hope he doesn't come after me with his KBI sock puppet. B)

I've been on "lists" before. And in spite of how the big guy appears to have interpreted my post, I wasn't implying that Ulmer invented all interesting locations on the planet (although if any of you have the waypoint for the Garden of Eden, I'd be interested in learning those coordinates :lol: ). And I most definitely wasn't complaining (like many people seem to like to do) about Jeremy marketing the concept... I'm actually quite happy with his marketing ability on all his sites, plus his interaction with receiver manufacturers (has anyone out there used the "Geocaching" mode on your Garmin 60CSx? Think you would have that option if Jeremy had never marketed his product to the guys in Kansas?).

Back to the original topic, that's an awesome idea! I like "Pioneers":

And don't forget Mike Teague (first finder), maybe Matt Stum (first person to type the word "geocaching"), and definitely Vinny (first certifiably psycho cacher).

And everyone in this thread (and others) that have been ragging on Waymarking have made it on Jeremy's "list".

Just sayin'.

Hey, I was only kidding. I had a smiley face or something, didn't I? I hope he doesn't come after me with his KBI sock puppet. :laughing:

I've been on "lists" before. And in spite of how the big guy appears to have interpreted my post, I wasn't implying that Ulmer invented all interesting locations on the planet (although if any of you have the waypoint for the Garden of Eden, I'd be interested in learning those coordinates B) ). And I most definitely wasn't complaining (like many people seem to like to do) about Jeremy marketing the concept... I'm actually quite happy with his marketing ability on all his sites, plus his interaction with receiver manufacturers (has anyone out there used the "Geocaching" mode on your Garmin 60CSx? Think you would have that option if Jeremy had never marketed his product to the guys in Kansas?).

Back to the original topic, that's an awesome idea! I like "Pioneers":

And don't forget Mike Teague (first finder), maybe Matt Stum (first person to type the word "geocaching"), and definitely Vinny (first certifiably psycho cacher).

Yeah, if Groundspeak has such a "list", you can rest assured I've been on it for a long time. :lol: Me, I like Waymarking, really I do. I have over 50 visits. I even have two medals. Woohoo!

Me back on topic too. I think the pioneer geocoin series is a great idea. You'd have to get everyone's permission though. And it would probably be best to go with handles.

. . .And don't forget Mike Teague (first finder), maybe Matt Stum (first person to type the word "geocaching"), and definitely Vinny (first certifiably psycho cacher).

Ahem.... Frankly, it would be a dark day for any sport if I were to be seen as a pioneer or other type of noteworthy figure within its realms. A very dark day indeed.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team