Are there really only three rules.

traildad

After recently reading some posts suggesting that logging online was a "rule" I thought I would review the rules. All I could find was a FAQ and a Getting Started page. On the FAQ there are three rules of Geocaching listed. These are basic rules for hunting a cache and I am sure they are not intended to cover placing a cache or anything about travel bugs or coins etc. So the three rules are...

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

It seems that we can all agree now that false or bogus logs are against the rules. If you don't write about your find in the cache logbook you are not following the rules. :laughing:

Also it seems that if you don't log your experience at geocaching.com you are not following the rules.

I assume that most people will be able to deal with the unanswered question on what to do if you don't find the cache. You can't write in the cache logbook if you don't find the cache, but you still have to log your experience online. It works for me! :blink:

It seems that we can all agree now that false or bogus logs are against the rules. If you don't write about your find in the cache logbook you are not following the rules. :blink:

Bogus logs are not a socially accepted behavior for most of the outspoken minority, but I've seen no written rule...yet. :laughing:

The rest of your post was hard to focus on. Maybe I didn't get enough sleep today. Sorry. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability...

The written rules for finding are as you've stated. The written and unwritten guidelines that reviewers follow to publish caches (or not) are quite a bit more complicated. I quite agree with most of the common sense reasoning in the cache listing guidelines and even the arbitrary .1 rule is starting to look brillient as cache choices increase in numbers every day.

It's kind of hard to "write about your find in the cache logbook," if there is barely enough room to sign your name. :laughing:

Anyhow, I think those "rules" are really just rules of thumb, that were written long before anyone ever dreamed of what caching would really be like someday.

Edited by TrailGators

It's kind of hard to "write about your find in the cache logbook," if there is barely enough room to sign your name. :laughing:

Anyhow, I think those "rules" are really just rules of thumb, that were written long before anyone ever dreamed of what caching would really be like someday.

Yes, but TPTB in their infinite wisdom has seen fit to change them very little in 7+ years.

Then there was light and the light was good..... :blink:

Yes, but TPTB in their infinite wisdom has seen fit to change them very little in 7+ years.

Then there was light and the light was good..... :blink:

But they did change the rules. The FAQ used to say that geocaching had three simple rules

1. Take something from the cache
  2. Leave something in the cache
  3. Write about it in the log book

These were actually Dave Ulmer's instructions when he hid the first geocache.

Only recently did TPTB update the FAQ to the rules traildad quoted. Seems they combined 1 and 2 making trading optional but making trading up a rule. And they added the new rule about logging your experience online.

Anyway we already had this discussion.

You have obviously been doing too many micros. There are regular sized caches out there with real log books and space to write about the hunt and the trade.

:blink:B):D

Yeah, except with so many micros, people are so accustomed to just signing their name, that that's all they do in the full sized logbooks now. :)

Mr. T is correct, they've changed the rules quite recently. In my opinion, the whole "log your visit at geocaching.com" thing is all about getting people to visit, and use the website as much as possible. As was requiring an account to view cache coordinates, which took effect in 2005 or 2006. Ultimately, it's part of an evil plot to sell as many premium memberships as possible. :D

Bogus logs are not a socially accepted behavior for most of the outspoken minority, but I've seen no written rule...yet.

When's the last time you've read the guidelines?

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.
That's been there for a very long time.
It seems that we can all agree now that false or bogus logs are against the rules. If you don't write about your find in the cache logbook you are not following the rules.
You're right. You're really supposed to sign in when you find the cache. Many times I won't do it simply because I think the cache sucked. After all, I should quit if I'm not having fun, right?

Also it seems that if you don't log your experience at geocaching.com you are not following the rules.
Recent change and it's up to the community to accept or reject such a change. Personally, I don't think any single website can make "rules" for a hobby. Sure, Groundspeak hosts the largest number of caches and is the 800 lb gorilla, but the hobby is what it is. You punch in coords in your GPS, go find a box n the woods, trade trinkets, sign in, and move on to the next box. If tomorrow Groundspeak said you had to stand on your head while signing in, do you really think not standing on your head makes what you're doing anything less than geocaching? I think not.

You have obviously been doing too many micros. There are regular sized caches out there with real log books and space to write about the hunt and the trade.

:blink:B):D

More like I have done too many blah micros in the past 6 years. :D It's like someone invented golf 8 years ago and now most people are playing putt-putt. :) But you are right, the good news is that the original game of golf is still alive and well. :D Edited by TrailGators

It's kind of hard to "write about your find in the cache logbook," if there is barely enough room to sign your name. :)

I actually looked around on the web site and in the beginners area of the forum. Those were all the "rules" I could easily find. I quoted exactly what was written on the FAQ and they are calling them the rules of Geocaching.

I think you're making WAY too much out of a document intended to help newcomers learn about the activity, not to serve as a code of conduct. But it's fun for some to debate about these simple sentences, so have fun!

I was looking for something more comprehensive. If you know of something please include a link as I would like to see what it says. Thanks

I think you're making WAY too much out of a document intended to help newcomers learn about the activity, not to serve as a code of conduct. But it's fun for some to debate about these simple sentences, so have fun!

I was looking for something more comprehensive. If you know of something please include a link as I would like to see what it says. Thanks

I've never seen any hardfast "rules" besides some of the guidelines. TPTB basically supply us big glob of clay and let us pull off pieces and mold whatever we want to mold. Those rules of thumb you found are there for newbies. The guidelines make sure that geocaching stays healthy for the long-term. Edited by TrailGators

It's kind of hard to "write about your find in the cache logbook," if there is barely enough room to sign your name. :)

Then there was light and the light was good..... :P

But they did change the rules. The FAQ used to say that geocaching had three simple rules

1. Take something from the cache
  2. Leave something in the cache

These were actually Dave Ulmer's instructions when he hid the first geocache.

Only recently did TPTB update the FAQ to the rules traildad quoted. Seems they combined 1 and 2 making trading optional but making trading up a rule. And they added the new rule about logging your experience online.

Anyway we already had this discussion.

So, what is wrong with Micros's? Regular caches are just hidden under a POL or POR's, the only challenge is getting to the Small, Regular caches and sometimes even the micros...Micros hidden in the woods are quite a challenge. Sometimes to make my "placed caches" a challenge is not to add a hint and cut down on the description and location...Heck, it is all on the google map on the cache page. Just making a hidden cache a challenge is really getting to be a challenge. I will say that camo is really the key...I have a "placed" cache that I have visited twice recently and I have not been able to find. It is there, because others are finding and logging it...yes it is there. I really know where it is, but just can not see it. I have that problem with other caches placed by cachers. I love this challenging and enjoyable game. Happy caching and good luck.
All I know is on my hides, only about 70% of on-site logs have a matching entry online. To each his own - I wish they would share the story with all of us but I can't make them.
The people that I know that don't log their caches online don't do it simply because they either find so many or they wait too long that they can't remember all the caches that they found. So they wouldn't have much to say if they did log them online. So you're really not missing much. When you really think about it, what is the point of only logging "Found it" online on a cache?

So, what is wrong with Micros's? Regular caches are just hidden under a POL or POR's, the only challenge is getting to the Small, Regular caches and sometimes even the micros...Micros hidden in the woods are quite a challenge. Sometimes to make my "placed caches" a challenge is not to add a hint and cut down on the description and location...Heck, it is all on the google map on the cache page. Just making a hidden cache a challenge is really getting to be a challenge. I will say that camo is really the key...I have a "placed" cache that I have visited twice recently and I have not been able to find. It is there, because others are finding and logging it...yes it is there. I really know where it is, but just can not see it. I have that problem with other caches placed by cachers. I love this challenging and enjoyable game. Happy caching and good luck.

This is a bit off topic but oh well. I would say that there is a lot more to caching than challenge. This is a recent log on one of my caches.

Finding this cache took on a special meaning for me. Here's the story.

Down the hill or rock from this cache, and slightly south east between this road and a road below, is a memorial resting bench for two men who were greatly loved by their friends and family. I discovered it while looking on foot for this cache with my wife and close friends of 25yrs Kathy & Larry. Larry and I sat there to rest for a while than I proceeded to look for the cache while Larry stayed there a while longer. Later that evening Larry told me he'd been diagnosed with a slow advancing type of leukemia. I felt sick in my heart for him. Than I realized why He sat there so long, He was taking time to enjoy the beautiful view and reflect his life. The men named on the memorial plaque were not old and I don't know how they died. So, if you find this bench? Have a seat for a while enjoy the view and think about Life.

Most of what has been discussed here are "norms" or expectations established by the community over time. The three basic rules are still valid, and I think, desirable. Personally, I believe that people who find caches and do not log them are either being lazy or are up to no good. In my area, we have some geocoin thieves who will not log finds when they take a coin that they intend to keep as their own. One has even gone so far as to log a find, and then delete their own log... mmm... pretty suspicious. But I risk getting off topic and so will end now.

You have obviously been doing too many micros. There are regular sized caches out there with real log books and space to write about the hunt and the trade. :):lol::D
Was in Iowa and Nebraska for business last week and did a full sized ammo can with a full sized full log book... in fact three full full sized log books, so I wouldn't count on the size mattering that much on having a place to write. And when you have multiple log books in a cache it's often hard to determine what book to sign and where. Validating a log entry would be a couple day's task there :D Not sure about everyone else but when I'm on a caching run the last thing I do is scan thru the pages to read other people's logs. Well, maybe the last thing I want to do is stand at the cache writing "Was a hot and blustery day, we started early in the morning but forgot the GPS so had to turn around and head back home... blah-blah-blah". No spell checker in the woods. We just sign our names as there are more caches to be found and composition works better at night at the keyboard.

Also, found a micro during the trip that was as neat a location, even more tricky a hide and more fun then striding up to an ammo can, looking down and going "There it is!". :(

You have obviously been doing too many micros. There are regular sized caches out there with real log books and space to write about the hunt and the trade. :):lol::D
Was in Iowa and Nebraska for business last week and did a full sized ammo can with a full sized full log book... in fact three full full sized log books, so I wouldn't count on the size mattering that much on having a place to write. And when you have multiple log books in a cache it's often hard to determine what book to sign and where. Validating a log entry would be a couple day's task there B) Not sure about everyone else but when I'm on a caching run the last thing I do is scan thru the pages to read other people's logs. Well, maybe the last thing I want to do is stand at the cache writing "Was a hot and blustery day, we started early in the morning but forgot the GPS so had to turn around and head back home... blah-blah-blah". No spell checker in the woods. We just sign our names as there are more caches to be found and composition works better at night at the keyboard.

Also, found a micro during the trip that was as neat a location, even more tricky a hide and more fun then striding up to an ammo can, looking down and going "There it is!". :(

The fact that a smaller container is harder to find then a larger one should be quite obvious. :D You speak as though it seems you think every geocache should be "challenging", and are more "fun" if they are. Not everyone thinks this way. Be it lifting a skirt at Wally World, or walking up to the obvious pile of sticks in the woods. As a matter of fact, I think the "challenging" crowd is a very small minority of the geocaching populace.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

After recently reading some posts suggesting that logging online was a "rule" I thought I would review the rules. All I could find was a FAQ and a Getting Started page. On the FAQ there are three rules of Geocaching listed. These are basic rules for hunting a cache and I am sure they are not intended to cover placing a cache or anything about travel bugs or coins etc. So the three rules are...

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

There really are only three rules, but those aren't them.

I was talking about Groundspeaks rules, not yours. :D

Most of what has been discussed here are "norms" or expectations established by the community over time.

The overwhelming majority of geocachers think bogus logs are perfectly fine.

I don't think that is quite accurate either. The overwhelming majority of cachers don't enter the forums to discuss what their opinions are.

Yeah, I don't see anything there about milkbones.

1. If you find a milkbone, then bark and wag your tail.

2. Lick the logbook after eating the milkbone to prove to all doggies that you actually found a milkbone.

3. Have your owner log online that you found a milkbone.

I tried to tell this to my dog, but she was more interested in smelling the neighbor's dog's butt....

The fact that a smaller container is harder to find then a larger one should be quite obvious. :laughing: You speak as though it seems you think every geocache should be "challenging", and are more "fun" if they are. Not everyone thinks this way. Be it lifting a skirt at Wally World, or walking up to the obvious pile of sticks in the woods. As a matter of fact, I think the "challenging" crowd is a very small minority of the geocaching populace.
So you think the vast majority of cachers don't like being challenged and would prefer just walking up and have a bight safety orange painted ammo can laying in the open with a big yellow arrow painted on the ground pointing towards it and signs leading to it saying RIGHT HERE --->? The only people I have met who just want to get a bunch of quick finds are people more into numbers then conquering challenges and having fun. :ph34r:

The more challenging the better as I like earning my smileys and like making people earn them on my hides.... cool camo and tricky hides are BIG pluses with hides. Being the proud owner of a wide variety of hides I can assure you the challenging caches get the page long logs while the PAG's and WAG's (Walk And Grab's) get the "TFTH" logs. But I agree it takes a lot of variety to please everyone which is why there is such a wide variety of hides and people have the right to seek what they like. To each his/her own as long as everyone has fun, but I'd rather do a couple visits to conquer a tricky cache that's been DNF'ed by several people then rack up numbers visiting a couple dozen lamp post or bus stop hides. :anibad:

The fact that a smaller container is harder to find then a larger one should be quite obvious. :laughing: You speak as though it seems you think every geocache should be "challenging", and are more "fun" if they are. Not everyone thinks this way. Be it lifting a skirt at Wally World, or walking up to the obvious pile of sticks in the woods. As a matter of fact, I think the "challenging" crowd is a very small minority of the geocaching populace.
So you think the vast majority of cachers don't like being challenged and would prefer just walking up and have a bight safety orange painted ammo can laying in the open with a big yellow arrow painted on the ground pointing towards it and signs leading to it saying RIGHT HERE --->? The only people I have met who just want to get a bunch of quick finds are people more into numbers then conquering challenges and having fun. :ph34r:

The more challenging the better as I like earning my smileys and like making people earn them on my hides.... cool camo and tricky hides are BIG pluses with hides. Being the proud owner of a wide variety of hides I can assure you the challenging caches get the page long logs while the PAG's and WAG's (Walk And Grab's) get the "TFTH" logs. But I agree it takes a lot of variety to please everyone which is why there is such a wide variety of hides and people have the right to seek what they like. To each his/her own as long as everyone has fun, but I'd rather do a couple visits to conquer a tricky cache that's been DNF'ed by several people then rack up numbers visiting a couple dozen lamp post or bus stop hides. :anibad:

No doubt a tricky hide gets long logs versus a grab and go cache, but so too do "hike and grabs" in nice locations. So yes, I really do think the majority of people want to find the cache they're looking for, and the "evil hiders" out there are few and far between. There are certainly very few of them in my area, and regionally as well. This is not to say people don't enjoy the challenge from their local evil hider, but then they might follow it up with a dozen park-n-grabs, or hike-n-grabs.

I'm speaking as an old schooler here, I don't cache in parking lots, on street corners, etc... I rarely walk right up to an ammo box or tupperware in the woods (especially with my crappy Garmin that doesn't like tree cover). I have to look around quite a bit usually. :) But I know I'm in the general area, and have a high probability of finding the cache. And they're not all under a pile of sticks either, I've seen some pretty cleverly hidden ammo boxes; I've also seen them hidden in areas with many potential hiding spots. Most notably in rocks. Ugh.

It seems that we can all agree now that false or bogus logs are against the rules. If you don't write about your find in the cache logbook you are not following the rules. :laughing:

Bogus logs are not a socially accepted behavior for most of the outspoken minority, but I've seen no written rule...yet. :ph34r:

What's a bogus log anyway? When you sign the log of a cache you haven't found?

There really ought to be a rule against that.

No, wait... Let's call it a guideline.

So you think the vast majority of cachers don't like being challenged and would prefer just walking up and have a bight safety orange painted ammo can laying in the open with a big yellow arrow painted on the ground pointing towards it and signs leading to it saying RIGHT HERE --->?

Sorry, but I cannot let this comment pass. I can't help but laugh. :)

From our GGA Challenge Event this past weekend...

519722eb-a5ee-43c3-9a4d-50a18765c72d.jpg

It was something of a joke and only a temporary cache for the event (note the "E2" cache designation), but you HAVE to laugh at it. Good job by phat.bak on this one giving GGA Members who hunted that cache for the challenge a bit of a chuckle.

Now you can all say you have seen a cache like that. :ph34r::laughing::anibad:

Geocaching has changed a lot since Dave Ulmer hid the first cache on May 3, 2000. He simply wanted to do an experiment. The government had turned off selective availability the day before and Dave wondered if a GPS unit would now be accurate enough that you could find a five gallon bucket that someone had hidden just off the side of the road. So he buried a bucket full of items, some of which would not meet today's guidelines for cache contents, and posted the coordinates to a usenet newsgroup. He gave "rules" for the people who found his stash.

1. Take something
  2. Leave something

He also encouraged others to repeat his experiment.

Of course as other "investigators" repeated the experiment, they began to vary it a little. Some hid caches further off trail where the test was not just could the GPS get you close but could you navigate in rough terrain to get there. Others hid caches in local urban parks and it probably didn't take long till someone hid one in a parking lot. Some said "We know you can find a five gallon bucket, but what about something smaller?" Smaller and smaller caches were hidden. Some people probably began hiding caches without swag, since the trade items didn't really seem necessary to get people to look for your cache.

One problem the "investigators" found was that non-geocachers would often find their caches. Cachers began leaving notes in the cache to let the people who found it accidentally know why the container was there. But even with the note, the non-geocacher would sometimes take or move the container. In any case, the "experiment" was to see if a person could use a GPS to find the cache. So the "investigators" began to hide their caches better to prevent accidental finds. In many areas this meant learning camouflage techniques. Just using a smaller container that could be concealed better was sometimes the solution to keep your cache from being muggled.

The experiment was changing. Now it was "could one hide something that wouldn't be found accidentally by non-geocachers but where someone with a GPS who knew it was nearby could search until he found it." It became a challenge for many "investigators" to find ways to hide caches in areas with lots of muggles. Going to even smaller containers was one technique. Another was to find cover for your cache that a non-geocacher wouldn't think about. Someone discovered that you could lift the cover on the base of lamppost. This was the perfect cover for hiding a cache in a high muggle location. Others found other locations or techniques that worked as well.

Dave Ulmer's hypothesis that you can find a container using a GPS knowing little more than the coordinates has now been proven many times. It has also been shown, though not as conclusively, that you can hide containers that are unlikely to be discovered by non-geocachers that geocachers can still find.

Perhaps the next experiment is to see just how difficult one can make a cache and still have people find it. On the other hand, it may be that this is no longer an experiment but it is just a game. People get excited about finding something that is hidden from most of the public. Some people may even get excited about getting a smiley face when they log their find online. And some people, including many children, like finding caches full of trade items and making it into a treasure hunt. So Dave Ulmer's "rules" have been changed. For those those who like to trade the "Take something, leave something" had become "If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value" - codifying the mantra of trading up. And while you still write about your find in the cache logbook (or at least sign your name), you are now told to log your experience on www.geocaching.com - where you can see a count of just how many caches you have found.

Geocaching is no longer the experiment that it started as. There is a vision of the game espoused by TPTB in the "rules" they publish. They do seem to leave room for other visions as well. There are people who want to only find caches that are hidden near interesting places. There are people who never trade for whom a micro is just as good as a five gallon bucket. There are people who want to have a physical or mental challenge when they look for a cache. There are people who couldn't care less about their "find count" and who won't ever log their finds online. There are people who see this a social activity to interact with other geocachers. For them, finding caches may be less important than attending events, placing and moving travel bugs, buying and trading geocoins, or participating in the forums. So long as these, and other, visions of geocaching are tolerated it doesn't matter much to me what the FAQ says the "rules" are.

Bogus logs are not a socially accepted behavior for most of the outspoken minority, but I've seen no written rule...yet. :ph34r:

If the written rule is "Write about your find in the cache logbook", then you can't do a bogus online log without breaking rule #2. I think this covers bogus logs completely.

If the written rule is "Write about your find in the cache logbook", then you can't do a bogus online log without breaking rule #2. I think this covers bogus logs completely.

I'm not so sure. It seems that you must find the cache you to do rule #1 and rule #2, But rule #3 is to log your experience online at www.geocaching.com. It seems you can do this even if you didn't find the cache or write in the log book. The puritans would say you should use a DNF log or write a note. But rule #3 doesn't say anything about what type of log to use.

No doubt a tricky hide gets long logs versus a grab and go cache, but so too do "hike and grabs" in nice locations. So yes, I really do think the majority of people want to find the cache they're looking for, and the "evil hiders" out there are few and far between.
Evil hiders?!?!?? I resemble that remark! :) People finding my caches have referred to me as evil, wicked, cruel, dastardly, mean, diabolical and sinister.... I like it (which is why I'm the proud owner of several hundred hides).
There are certainly very few of them in my area, and regionally as well. This is not to say people don't enjoy the challenge from their local evil hider, but then they might follow it up with a dozen park-n-grabs, or hike-n-grabs.
I think there is a pretty close balance with PAG's or easy finds and evil fun hides in this area.
I'm speaking as an old schooler here, I don't cache in parking lots, on street corners, etc... I rarely walk right up to an ammo box or tupperware in the woods (especially with my crappy Garmin that doesn't like tree cover). I have to look around quite a bit usually. :) But I know I'm in the general area, and have a high probability of finding the cache. And they're not all under a pile of sticks either, I've seen some pretty cleverly hidden ammo boxes; I've also seen them hidden in areas with many potential hiding spots. Most notably in rocks. Ugh.
I think this is where living a balanced geocaching life works for me. Yesterday I went for a bike ride after work. Snagged a quick PAG along the way which is probably all I could get to on my route. Also snagged a tricky puzzle cache. A couple other tough puzzle caches along the way I didn't find so I am crunching on them over lunch (between posts). Last week I was out of town (state) and snagged a couple finds, a PAG, an ammo can and a micro at a cool statue right across from my hotel I didn't see for days until I looked for the cache. Recently we did some hikes and found some nice ammo cans and some micros. Before that some paddle only caches. Just like my other "habits" of life, not much I won't eat or drink, no roller coaster too fast, no sporting event I won't attend, no music I won't listen to, no movie I won't watch, no cache I won't try to find :) Life's too short to limit the possibilities!
By the letter of the law (rule) there if you only sign your name, or just sign your name and write the date in the log book, and fail to write about your experience you are just as much breaking that rule as you would be entering a bogus log online....

I'm not so sure. It seems that you must find the cache you to do rule #1 and rule #2, But rule #3 is to log your experience online at www.geocaching.com. It seems you can do this even if you didn't find the cache or write in the log book. The puritans would say you should use a DNF log or write a note. But rule #3 doesn't say anything about what type of log to use.

I'm not so sure I understand what you are trying to say. If you don't find the cache you can't do #2. If you write any kind of log or note saying that you found that cache you are not writing about your experience since you didn't find the cache. #3 says write about your experience, not write a work of fiction that you find amusing. A bogus log would not be logging your experience.