FTF issue

blb9556

Well I have a little problem. Today I found a cache. I was the second to find and I reconized the FTF name as a geocacher. However he has not logged the find. In fact he found one of my caches a few months ago but didn't log it. So if in the next few days he doesn't log it what should I do. My log is the first after a post note and publish log.

Well I have a little problem. Today I found a cache. I was the second to find and I reconized the FTF name as a geocacher. However he has not logged the find. In fact he found one of my caches a few months ago but didn't log it. So if in the next few days he doesn't log it what should I do. My log is the first after a post note and publish log.

Why would this pose a problem, and why should you wonder what to do? If I were in your shoes, I would simply do the normal thing, which is to log the find on the cache listing page, noting that I was the 2TF, and that when I had arrived onsite, I discovered that the logbook already bore the signature of the first finder. We have hit much this same situation several times, particularly during the first year or two of our caching career, where we were 2TF on a cache, but where the FTF did not get around to logging their FTF find online until a few weeks later (and when they did enter it, they backdated it appropriately, so that it bore the correct find date. This is not a problem, and should not be any cause for concern.

some FTFers and (2tf and 3tf) will delay logging just to let others think they still got a shot at FTF, to attract more people during the first days of publishing.

A lot of folks play that game around here...I have participated myself! :)

Really, log your find and move on. Believe it or not, some cachers don't log all their finds, and some don't log their finds at all.

Guiness70, please ship me 5 kilos of real, true Limburger cheese ASAP! <YUM!>

My log is the first after a post

this means nothing at all. The way you have posted this makes it sound as if you would hope some one will tell you to claim FTF. If he never logs it you will never be the FTF. It will always and forever more be his claim.

Some FTF-ers are stupid, or smart perhaps. Good thing that FTF's don't really count onlineª.

They might take the log book, rotate it 180° and then flip it 180° and open the 'Rear' cover of the book and log their Find First, no matter how many other people have logged the correct 'Front' of the logbook.

Now if they can beat everyone to log it online, perhaps by having a wap enabled cell phone on them, or by bogusly logging before actually finding, then they have another dubious FTF that they can possibly correctly claim as real as proved by their entry in the logbook.

Footnote ª. But if they take the FTF gifts that are actually in the cache, then they are really, truly, actually the FTF, no matter what they do or do not do in the logbook.

Quick, log it fast, before someone gets the even more coveted FTL, First to Log!

Hurry now, someone else will slip in there and steal it from you! :D

You joke, but I've seen that before where people put all kinds of smileys and stuff and say, "I wasn't first to find, but I am first to log. Yipee. Whoo Hooo." Blah, blah, blah.

Doesn't seem like a problem to me, just log the find as if it's any other find, personally I don't say I'm "First to Find" when I am, feels like bragging, I just log my find as I would another cache.

When I first started, I used to put smileys and announce the time that I got there and all sorts of stuff, but I've done a 180 and try to keep it low key.

What's the big deal? Did you enjoy finding this cache? Isn't that all that really matters? What does it matter who is FTF, STF, or even FTF (50th To Find)? Will claiming F(irst)TF bring you fame and riches beyond your wildest imagination? Will it do anything to solve our nation's current financial situation? I think not. So, just log the cache as you would any other by relating your experience with this cache, and thank the cache owner for placing it for you to find. Done! Fine! Now, go enjoy finding another cache!

Edited by Dear Dora

I agree with the others that say to go ahead and log it. But I would not mention that I was second (or third, or whatever, to find.) if that mattered to the first to find, that is their problem for not logging sooner.

I wouldn't claim FTF, and after they get around to logging their find they can still say they were first. (If it really matters to anyone. )