Am I Blind?

aldybuglvr3

Athough I dont have a GPSr, we have gone out lately trying to use maps and clues to make the finds. We were so excited to get started but we are frustrated. I need to buy a unit but dont want to put out the money for a toy I wont use. It seems like most of what I have been looking for have been micros but I havent found any. I did run right into a regular sized one which was beyond exciting. Does anyone have any tips for finding anything? I feel like I have been right on top of a few but just dont see it. I know, really I should just get the machine but.....

Thanks in advance for anything to get the kids going! Its great to see them interested in something other than their tv.

When I started, the micros were killing me. Someone suggested I look at ebay, under geocaching, and to look at the stores that are listed on geocaching.com to see what these micros look like. It doesn't show you where they are hidden but it gives you an idea of what to look for.

The best caches to start with are small and regular sized. Don't try anything with more than a 2 star difficulty, a 1 is great for a first cache, then try some 1.5's. The terrain could be as high as 2.5 if you don't mind rough terrain. If you can, avoid caches under heavy tree cover. Look for things that are not quite right, a pile of bark, sticks, bark, pine needles heaped up, etc.

Micros can run from 35mm film canisters to blinkers, which are about the size of the tip of your little finger. They can be quite challenging. Save them for later. And if you can, have someone help you find your first micros. I did it on my own and I had many DNF's.

Jim

Micros are going to be tough with maps alone.

However - here are a few tips:

Feel where you cannot look.

Many micros are magnetic.

Look high and low - not all caches are on the ground or at eye level.

Look for anything out of place, unusual, too new, too old, too regular - not like the others. Investigate those things.

Change the time of day - a differnet angle of sunlight may reveal it.

Bring a flashlight to look in little hidey holes.

Think like a hider - where would you hide something.

Slowly expand your search radius up to 40 feet from where you think ground zero is. Handheld GPS units are not all that accurate.

When I started, the micros were killing me. Someone suggested I look at ebay, under geocaching, and to look at the stores that are listed on geocaching.com to see what these micros look like. It doesn't show you where they are hidden but it gives you an idea of what to look for.

That's a really good idea. I felt very frustrated searching for micros as well and was about to give up on one when a fellow geocacher who just happened to be driving by saw me leaving and stopped to help. I had no idea I was looking for something so tiny. As a result of that guy's help I was able to go back and easily found a few that I had given up on earlier. Once you find a few it's like another sense kicks in and it becomes much easier to find them. I started just a few weeks ago but because I'm doing primarily urban caching most of them are tiny. I'm already getting to the point where I can deduce where it will be and sure enough it's right there or I can even see it when approaching the general area. I am deathly afraid of creepy crawly things though so I don't like to stick my hands into places that I can't see so I sometimes use a mirror.

And definitely think magnetic.

Athough I dont have a GPSr, we have gone out lately trying to use maps and clues to make the finds. We were so excited to get started but we are frustrated. I need to buy a unit but dont want to put out the money for a toy I wont use. It seems like most of what I have been looking for have been micros but I havent found any. I did run right into a regular sized one which was beyond exciting. Does anyone have any tips for finding anything? I feel like I have been right on top of a few but just dont see it. I know, really I should just get the machine but.....

Thanks in advance for anything to get the kids going! Its great to see them interested in something other than their tv.

You are always going to have limited success without a GPSr but what you are going is probably the best training you could get. Deduction (some call it geosense) is a skill that is acquired much slower when you have a device you trust to find things for you. Once you get out of urban areas, it will be almost impossible to find things without a handheld GPS.

I'd wager things will be different once you have about 20-30 finds under your belt. After awhile you will rarely see something new and will make a lot of instant finds based on your past experience.

Note: Like you, I never thought I would use a GPS for anything but caching, but I find they are very handy to have. Not sure I would travel without one now that I have learned how to use it's auto-routing feature and preload POIs.

First of all, don't stress. This is a game and is supposed to be fun. If you stress too much, you will burn out on it. As mentioned previously, micros can be VERY tough to find especially for someone new to the game and NOT using a GPS. For a while I detested micros. I will still choose a larger cache over a micro if there is one in the area. Here is a story that might help.....

We (me, my wife and son) were looking for a micro that was part of a series. We spent a while looking for it and having NO luck. We moved to another one in the same series and found it. The good thing was that we knew more what were looking for. We went back to the first one and I found it pretty much instantly.

My point is that sometimes you need to step back and come back with a fresh outlook on it. DNFs are not always a bad thing and sometimes I think they should be called DNFFNs (Did Not Find For Now).

If you ever get out of urban caching, remember that straight lines dont happen naturally. that was the piece of advise that helps me the most.

Best advice I ever got for suburban trail caching: Don't get out of the car until you're within 0.3 mile, don't leave the main trail until you're within 0.1 mile, and don't leave the side trail until you're within 100 feet.

Oh, and just remove micros from your search results. You'll be a much happier cacher in the long run :(

A GPS will get you to within 20' of of ground zero most times. If you can use your maps to get within 20' hunting micro's will be ok. If you can get wtihint 50' better stick to the bigger cahes.

Just a quick note...locate a cacher in your area that

is seasoned to go out with once. You'll get some

very quick and valuable pointers...Gets you on the right

track.

You in Oregon? Google Oregon Geocacher or Geocaching

and find the Geocaching organization in your area an post

for someone to go with you.

In most forums local, the people are outstanding.

Good luck

Good advice here.

You could also try looking for VIRTUALS. I noticed you found one already.

I suggest you start by looking for #1Difficulty caches, especially regular size. Read the cache page, the clues, ALL of the logs. Sometimes any pictures might give you a hint, but not usually. And don't ignore the NAME of the cache. Sometimes THAT is the biggest clue of all.

Then, look at the Google and Mapquest maps of the cache, switching to satellite image to see if there is any unique feature (tree, light pole, etc) to start your hunt from. If the map can get you within 10 - 15 feet of the cache, that's about as close as the GPSr is going to get you! From there, SEARCH and SEARCH for the cache.

With that in mind, I did a quick search of caches near the two you already found. Try one of these easy regular size caches on your next trip.

GC14XGJ walking along61: Looks like a very easy cache if you read the hint and logs.

GCVVW7 2000 Caches Laid to Rest by QK-N-EZ: Cemetary caches are NEVER at a grave. Look in bushes, etc.

GCXCHZ You've got Mail the TB Hotel: Looks like fun. Don't take any TBs unless you plan on dropping them in another cache.

GCX5PX Fallen Fruit: I suspect the cache name is important on this one

GC12M1N Ms. Blue Who's Blue Trash Can Cache:Lots of comments on a "Cool Container"

GC194V7 An Instant Glassic: Should be easy

Well, that should give you a start. Good luck and happy geocaching!

Team up with someone who has a GPS for awhile. You will get to know what signs to look for. Your geosenses will perk up. Remember Christmas is coming, you might just want to ask Santa for that special gift.

I'm also a newbie doing this without a GPS...and I've found 6 out of 9 I've looked for, including a few micros! In addition to the tips already provided, this is what has helped me tremendously:

1. Picking caches in familiar areas and going during times where there is little activity going on. That way I can have ample time to nose around without drawing a lot of attention to myself.

2. Trying to stick to those with a difficulty of 2 or less.

3. Hitting forested area caches during this time of year when lots of brush and tree cover is sparser.

4. And the biggest....REALLY picking apart the clues. Scouring previous log entries, photo galleries, and the clues embedded and/or encrypted in the listing can go a LONG way. It took me two attempts at finding one cache before I read that someone had trouble getting it unstuck from its location...and thus narrowed my search to cramped areas, hehe. I also implement the map features, and just try to use common sense. If there are a ton of recent DNF logs, or the last person to find the cache did so over six months ago, I tend to shy away. I know there will be a time when I run out of easily accessible caches and will NEED a GPS...luckily, I've gotten my best friend involved, who will be loaning me his tomorrow!

Edited by TheresaHPIR

Maybe someone has already suggested this method.... but one way you can look for caches without a GPS is to write down the coordinates of caches you're interested in seeking. Then go to Google Earth and type them in, remembering that you need to precede the longitude with a minus (-) sign if you're in the USA. Zoom in and out on the satellite view until you can find a feature you recognize with your coords also showing. I use this method to mark several caches in a given area. Just click on each of the little squares along the left side under where you typed in the coords and all of them will show up on your aerial view. Now you can print them all on one sheet of paper. You really need a GPS receiver to play the game though.... try looking on Amazon etc for a refurbished unit which should save you some money. Welcome to the sport and happy hunting.

I'm a newbie to this and there are a few that proved to be a PITA.

Kind of a downer when you read the logs and someone writes "drove to the area, found it immediatly" when you have been to the site many times unsuccessful.

I didnt log a DNF but aint given up yet.

Well done on your persistence at least!

I would encourage anyone who has tried unsuccessfully to find any cache to enter a DNF log for it. As others have said over and over again on these forums, There's no shame in a DNF!" DNF logs are an important part of the whole history of a cache: They give some indication to other cachers as to how easy/difficult it may be (those difficulty stars are not always an accurate guideline), they are the first 'heads up' for the owner that the cache might be missing and, yes, they also provide a wry smile for those who have found it before you and may be watching the cache listing because they also know it's a very tricky one and, like yourself, it took them several attempts to find.

Also, as a cache owner, if I see two or three DNF logs from someone obviously fairly new to geocaching I'll often get in touch with a friendly word of encouragement and offer a further hint if needed.

MrsB :D

If you can find some events in your area they are a great place to meet cachers from the area and they often form groups that then go caching. Nothing like going out with the pro's. Sometimes you can find events aimed at newbys. Save up and get a gps, it will be worth the investment.