Wow, it actually worked

My wife just called me at work and asked me why I bought another GPS. I said I didn't. She told me that it was a Garmin Nuvi 200. I said hey thats the one from the Mygpsdeal.com. I was skeptical that it would really work. I filled out the Discover card app, and made a $10.00 purchase ( stuff for Geocaching of course). The purchase is required to activate the card. About 5 weeks later it is here. No other forms or mailings were needed. Now I can sell it on eBay to pay for the new GPS I already bought. So if any one is wondering that offer is for real, it is.

No other forms or mailings were needed. Now I can sell it on eBay to pay for the new GPS I already bought. So if any one is wondering that offer is for real, it is.

What's your privacy worth? Now the sponsors of mygpsdeal.com can pay for the Nuvi that they "gave" you by selling your contact information to a bunch of telemarketers who can now call you without being in violation of the "do not call" legislation.

I put my name on those do not call lists and I still get called all the time. If I do not know who is calling me I do not answer the phone. I have a yahoo email account that I use for this type of useless garbage stuff. I empty it out about once a month. I will get called and emailed either way. Why not get a gps too? Sorry if some one objects.

In this information age you can find anything out about anyone regardless of the number of CC offers you take up. Privacy, as we used to know it, is not really a reality. For instance if you Google jmundinger (and poke around a bit) you can find his location, what kind of boat he owns and al sorts of other things.

That is my point too. My vital info is safe. That is all I care about. Besides if telemarketers did not call my house how in the world would I save big time on satellite tv. And who else would I mess with for 5 minutes acting like I am some one in need of medical attention or some other really uncomfortable problem that I often expose them to. Now that is fun :D

I'm the skeptic of all skeptics and pessimist of all pessimists when dealing with internet offers. I look at all of them as a scam but after invertigation thought I'd give this one a shot. I was happy as I could be when I got home today and found a brand new nuvi 200 waiting for me. (I already have a nuvi 200w so look for the 200 on ebay soon :D ) Anyhow, no telemarketer worries for me. I used a bogus phone number when I signed up. It meant I had to call and talk to a Discover Card service rep to activate my card since my phone number I was calling from did not match my account number but small price to pay. I also used a throw away gmail account for my email when I signed up. I bought lunch that I was going to buy anyhow, paid the charge off the next day so I paid no interest and now that I've got my GPS my next stop is discovercard.com to cancel my account. Life is good. Life with a free GPS is even better

Edited by clan_Barron

I put my name on those do not call lists and I still get called all the time. If I do not know who is calling me I do not answer the phone. I have a yahoo email account that I use for this type of useless garbage stuff. I empty it out about once a month. I will get called and emailed either way. Why not get a gps too? Sorry if some one objects.

It is of course your choice, but I and others make the system work the other way. I get very very few unsolicited calls, email (unsolicited spam that isn't filtered out by my ISP), or junk mail. I work dilignetly to keep it so, though I slip once in a while.

I'm the skeptic of all skeptics and pessimist of all pessimists when dealing with internet offers. I look at all of them as a scam but after invertigation thought I'd give this one a shot. I was happy as I could be when I got home today and found a brand new nuvi 200 waiting for me. (I already have a nuvi 200w so look for the 200 on ebay soon :laughing: ) Anyhow, no telemarketer worries for me. I used a bogus phone number when I signed up. It meant I had to call and talk to a Discover Card service rep to activate my card since my phone number I was calling from did not match my account number but small price to pay. I also used a throw away gmail account for my email when I signed up. I bought lunch that I was going to buy anyhow, paid the charge off the next day so I paid no interest and now that I've got my GPS my next stop is discovercard.com to cancel my account. Life is good. Life with a free GPS is even better

excellent. we must be related. i can describe myself the same way and have definitely done the very same things on numerous occasions. bravo!

No other forms or mailings were needed. Now I can sell it on eBay to pay for the new GPS I already bought. So if any one is wondering that offer is for real, it is.

What's your privacy worth? Now the sponsors of mygpsdeal.com can pay for the Nuvi that they "gave" you by selling your contact information to a bunch of telemarketers who can now call you without being in violation of the "do not call" legislation.

HA HA HA!!! Seriously! Thats what I was thinking!

I thought it was interesting/humorous that the two people who posted to this thread who successfully got a GPS from this deal didn't even need it and are going to sell it on ebay. :)

--Marky

Excellent observation. Most of the posts I saw on fatwallet.com, slickdeals.com etc.... about this deal were also people who said they didn't really need the unit and would sell it. The few who did need it said "I got rejected for bad credit". I guess us cheapskates just have better credit scores for some reason :huh::huh::):):)

See the problem is I want (but don't really need :D ) a new hand held unit for geocaching, Jeepin', hiking, biking & kayaking. I don't really need or want a second auto navigation unit. I guess my frugal (Mrs. B. says CHEAP) heritage compels me to try and offset cost something I don't need whenever possible :)

I thought it was interesting/humorous that the two people who posted to this thread who successfully got a GPS from this deal didn't even need it and are going to sell it on ebay. :D

--Marky

Excellent observation. Most of the posts I saw on fatwallet.com, slickdeals.com etc.... about this deal were also people who said they didn't really need the unit and would sell it. The few who did need it said "I got rejected for bad credit". I guess us cheapskates just have better credit scores for some reason :D:D:o:D:D

See the problem is I want (but don't really need :D ) a new hand held unit for geocaching, Jeepin', hiking, biking & kayaking. I don't really need or want a second auto navigation unit. I guess my frugal (Mrs. B. says CHEAP) heritage compels me to try and offset cost something I don't need whenever possible :D

I did it so I can go paperless. Using it in conjunction with my Vista. My info is already all over the friggin' place so I'm not too worried about my privacy. As long as they don't start storming my house I think I'll live. :D

I was looking for a new GPS for my son - we geocache sporadically, but he loves maps and GPS. He wants one for the car that gives voice directions, and I want one we can use for light caching as well. This would be a sweet deal to not have to pay for. BUT, I'm so sceptical about "too good to be true..." Could anyone who has gotten this deal answer some questions - are the maps up to date, or are the units older? Do they come with all needed cords (USB, car power adapter)? You can add an SD card for memory, right? What's the downside (other than privacy - I can take some precautions and live with the rest, I think)?

Thanks for any help.

RA

I was looking for a new GPS for my son - we geocache sporadically, but he loves maps and GPS. He wants one for the car that gives voice directions, and I want one we can use for light caching as well. This would be a sweet deal to not have to pay for. BUT, I'm so sceptical about "too good to be true..." Could anyone who has gotten this deal answer some questions - are the maps up to date, or are the units older? Do they come with all needed cords (USB, car power adapter)? You can add an SD card for memory, right? What's the downside (other than privacy - I can take some precautions and live with the rest, I think)?

Thanks for any help.

RA

Comes with 2008 maps but as soon as I connected to the Garmin website to register it told be I had 30 days to download the 2009 maps for free. Download is 2 gig. With a fast connection the download and update took about an hour. I think there is alos an option to but the upgrade DVD for $20. In the box you get the nuvi 200 unit, car charger and windshield mount. I already had a usb data cable. It's a standard cable that many devices use, if you don't have one you can buy one for $8-10 at a computer store or online. My unit has about 300meg of free internal memory and yes it does have an SD card slot so yes if you don't have a data cable you could transfer POIs, gpx files etc. via SD card. This unit only give basic voice directions such as "Turn left in 300 feet" it does not say street names such as "Turn left on Main Street in 300 feet". It's still a great unit for driving navigation though. Hope this helps.

I just got the notification that my free nüvi 200 has shipped as well. I set up a "special" email account for that offer and have received ZERO spam in the account. All of the application info is submitted directly to discovercard.com so there isn't any way for the mygpsoffer.com folks to get my info. Sweet. A GPS for my wife. :yikes:

Note: Some folks are returning these to Amazon for a credit and then using the credit for other items or toward a better GPS unit.

my next stop is discovercard.com to cancel my account. Life is good. Life with a free GPS is even better

There's no such thing as free. Don't forget the hit that you just took on your credit report. Might not be a factor for you right now, but something like that stays there for 7 years.

It is a real deal! I had forgotten about the free nuvi cause I was applying for a miles reward card anyways. the trick is to PAY IT OFF monthly save the intrest and earn the miles (Handy if you Travel)

I found mine in the mail today Its a pretty neat rig, I like it... dont know what Im gonna do with it... but I like It.

"There's no such thing as free. Don't forget the hit that you just took on your credit report. Might not be a factor for you right now, but something like that stays there for 7 years."

A "hit" for having a credit card?? I guess probably 90% of America has a smudge on their report? As long as you use that card responsibly I would think it would actually HELP your credit versus damaging it.

my next stop is discovercard.com to cancel my account. Life is good. Life with a free GPS is even better

There's no such thing as free. Don't forget the hit that you just took on your credit report. Might not be a factor for you right now, but something like that stays there for 7 years.

That is mostly if you already have many credit cards. Right after getting this card and making 0ne $25.00 purchase (already paid off) my FICO score went from 738 to 716. I think I can live with that for a free GPSr.

Edited by Blind Avocado

In this information age you can find anything out about anyone regardless of the number of CC offers you take up. Privacy, as we used to know it, is not really a reality. For instance if you Google jmundinger (and poke around a bit) you can find his location, what kind of boat he owns and al sorts of other things.

This is true. How many times each second it the do not call list violated?

How may telemarketers have been convicted and are in the slam?

Just got mine today, and honestly, the 200 is better than I expected it to be. Now i have to check out the paperless macro and use the nuvi for the roads, and my explorist 500 for the down and dirtywork of finding the cache.

Edit: Was going to pass this on to some friends without GPS, but it appears that this is now DEAD :unsure:

Edited by KOOLAID105

Just got mine today, and honestly, the 200 is better than I expected it to be. Now i have to check out the paperless macro and use the nuvi for the roads, and my explorist 500 for the down and dirtywork of finding the cache.

Edit: Was going to pass this on to some friends without GPS, but it appears that this is now DEAD :rolleyes:

just got mine. It's been about 4 weeks I think since I used the card to "activate" it. Now I can cut this card up! <_<