COINTEST - How much do you know about the Battle of Okinawa?

Clan Doyle

As a lot of you know, we are currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan with the US Air Force. Not being history buffs, military or otherwise, we knew very little about this island when we were first stationed here. In fact, we were much like most Americans – the sum knowledge we possessed had been obtained through Karate Kid movies. Since moving here, we have discovered a rich culture and amazing people. We have also learned a great deal about the Battle of Okinawa, a pivotal moment in WWII history and still an influence on these islands.

The Battle of Okinawa was the last battle of World War II, as well as one of the bloodiest, and considered by most historians to be the catalyst for the decision to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Its importance is overshadowed by this decision, and there are a great many outside the historical community who know little or nothing about it. So…how about a cointest?

okisilver1.jpg

We will be giving away three Okinawa Geocoins for answering questions about the Battle of Okinawa. The first person to answer all questions in a given post correctly will win a coin. All answers are to be mailed to jd_phestr@hotmail.com . Any answers emailed through Groundspeak will be ignored; as we have so many emails coming through that account we can’t guarantee we won’t miss the winning email. Also, make sure that if your address is not in the online address book, that you include it with your answer.

Now, we know that a few questions are no way to gauge how much education one gains. However, we hope to bring a little information to the community, as well as give back in the form of trackable coinage.

So, enough pontification. On to the questions!

Battle of Okinawa Quiz #1

- On what date was the main landing of American troops on the island of Okinawa (also known as L-Day)?

- What two airfields were captured in the early stages of the invasion? Which of these currently exists as a US Air Force Base?

- Which Marine Division was detailed to secure the Motobu Peninsula? On what date did they do so?

Remember, send your answers to jd_phestr@hotmail.com . Good Luck!

Edited by Clandoyle

Clandoyle thanks for the cointest, i have google and google and google, got some answers but the englisch play me parted, so i give up. :unsure:

i go caching now, i hope i can find the cache. :blink:

Thanks again for the cointest and good luck for all who has send a e-mail. :)

You are all winners. :D

We have a winner! I can't tell you who it is, though, because they didn't include thier caching name. Anyway, off to bed for me. There will be another question tomorrow. Thanx for all the responses!

Likely wasn't me, even though I didn't include my caching name in the email. I missed both two-part questions. :)

Sorry, everyone, I haven't forgotten about you. Hectic day, look for the next question this PM. Here are the answers to the first round:

- April 1, 1945

- Kadena and Yomitan airbases were captured early. Kadena is currently a US AFB (We are stationed there)

- The 6th Marine Division secured Motobu on April 18, 1945

Standby for more!

Okay, who's ready for round 2? Be careful, some questions have multiple parts!

Battle of Okinawa Quiz #2:

1. How many Allied ships were assembled for the invasion of Okinawa?

2. What was the main tactic of the Japanese to stop the Allied fleet? What was the official Japanese term for units who used these tactics?

3. What is/was another name for Kakazu Ridge? What fortified natural feature made it so hard to assault?

4. What action by the invaders kept the losses at Kakazu Ridge from being even higher?

That's all for today. Remember, send your answers to jd_phestr@hotmail.com . Good Luck!

Edited by Clandoyle

E-mail Sent If I get them right let me know since I won yesterday I will leave this coin to the next person Thanks this one was alot harder!

As BrierPatch was so gracious to point out, I forgot to add something to make it more fair. Only one win per caching name. Thanx, BrierPatch!

Also, remember that the words we use, even Japanese words, are not necessarily the official Japanese terms. And Kakazu Ridge has another, English name.

Not all the answers are on Wikipedia!

Edited by Clandoyle

This was a humbling set of questions for me, but strangely fun as well! As a biologist, I haven't visited history since undergrad (more than 10 years ago now), but I did visit the Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredricksburg, TX this past March and so did recognize one answer right away. Thanks for making me use my brain in a different way to acquire coins!

Email sent!

We have a winner! Congrats, Tschakko! The correct answers are below, with a little extra thrown in:

- 1,600 ships, including 40 aircraft carriers, 18 battleships, 32 cruisers and 200 destroyers. The U.S. Navy sustained greater casualties in this operation than in any other battle of the war.

2. What was the main tactic of the Japanese to stop the Allied fleet? What was the official Japanese term for units who used these tactics?

- Suicide Attacks, also known as kamikaze (divine wind), were the main tactic used. The official Japanese name for these units, however, was tokubetsu kōgeki tai ("Special Attack Units").

3. What is/was another name for Kakazu Ridge? What fortified natural feature made it so hard to assault?

-Kakazu Ridge is also known as Hacksaw Ridge. Fortified caves throughout the structure caused massive casualties to clear. A few still exist, but most are prohibited to visitors.

4. What action by the invaders kept the losses at Kakazu Ridge from being even higher?

- A feint off the Minatoga beaches by the 2d Marine Division drew off most of the Japanese reserves.

In case you're wondering, the answers did not need to be that extensive. Thanx for all the replies, and standby for the final round!

We have a winner! Congrats, Tschakko! The correct answers are below, with a little extra thrown in:

- 1,600 ships, including 40 aircraft carriers, 18 battleships, 32 cruisers and 200 destroyers. The U.S. Navy sustained greater casualties in this operation than in any other battle of the war.

- Suicide Attacks, also known as kamikaze (divine wind), were the main tactic used. The official Japanese name for these units, however, was tokubetsu kōgeki tai ("Special Attack Units").

-Kakazu Ridge is also known as Hacksaw Ridge. Fortified caves throughout the structure caused massive casualties to clear. A few still exist, but most are prohibited to visitors.

- A feint off the Minatoga beaches by the 2d Marine Division drew off most of the Japanese reserves.

In case you're wondering, the answers did not need to be that extensive. Thanx for all the replies, and standby for the final round!

Woohoo :P

I never thought I would make this one... There were so many things that went trough to find the names and information... This Hacksaw Ridge I only found in a sidenote on a holliday page... <_<:D:D

Thank you so much for this cointest, I learned a lot, and I will definetly try to solve the next one too, even though I will do it a little more slowly and better organized :D

I don't think it is work that is keeping you from writing questions. I think it is Tsunriseby Earth Turtle and the FTF geocache you did today, oh wait. It says you found it tomorrow (7/22) but it is only (7/21) here. Hate that International Date Line. LOL :unsure::laughing::laughing:

Don't you just hate it when caching gets in the way of life, or is it the other way around? :laughing:

Okay, I admit it, I did take time to take the Turtle for a walk. But trying to post questions at a time that is good for everyone is harder than it sounds. So...who's ready for the final round?

Battle of Okinawa Quiz #3

1. Who commanded the 10th Army at the beginning of the campaign? How was he killed, and why was his death significant?

2. Who took command after the above individual was killed? Why his assumption of command notable??

3. What were the estimated death tolls for native Okinawans (a range is fine)?

4. What fact about the treatment of Okinawans at the hands of Japanese soldiers is still a source of heated debate?

5. What famous journalist lost his life during this battle? On what island is his memorial located?

Last but not least…

6. What is the Cornerstone of Peace, and in what park is it located?

I know, these ones are even harder than the last ones. Just hang in there, and remember to send your answers to jd_phestr@hotmail.com. It may take a little bit to post the winner, as the Turtle is begging to go out again, and I'm off early today. Good Luck!

Edited by Clandoyle

We have a winner! Congrats, xboxcrazy33. Thank you so much for all the participation. This was our first cointest, and we were pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest. For those of you who didn't win, I do have a limited number of coins left for trade, feel free to contact me. Again, thank you all, and congratulations to the winners!

Answers to Quiz 3 (plus some):

1. The 10th was originally commanded by Lieutenant General Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr. He was killed by enemy artillary fire, and a memorial was erected upon the hill where he died. He was the highest-ranking U.S. officer to be killed by enemy fire during World War II.

2. Buckner was succeeded in command by Marine General Roy Geiger. This is notable because he was the first Marine to lead an army.

3. Okinawan civilian losses in the campaign are estimated to be between 42,000 and 150,000 dead.

4. There is ongoing major disagreement between Okinawa's local government and Japan's national government over the role of the Japanese military in civilian mass suicides during the battle. The Okinawans maintain that locals were ordered to do so and were given handgrenades. The Japanese stance is that, though they may have been given the grenades, no such order was given. Amazingly, these mass suicides did not occur on islands where there was no Japanese soldiers present.

5. Pulitzer Prize winner Ernie Pyle was killed by Japanese machine gun fire on Ie Shima during the battle. A memorial in his honor remains on Ie Shima Island, Okinawa.

6. The Cornerstone of Peace is a memorial for the victims of the Battle of Okinawa during World War II. Much like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, it contains the known names of those who lost thier lives, civilian and military, during the battle. Currently, it lists 240,734 names. Th monument is located in Okinawa Senseki Quasi-National Park, also known as Peace Prayer Park, in southern Okinawa.

Hm, still wondering?

Got no answer, yet, unfortunately...

Did any of the other winners receive the coin?

Sorry, we're in the middle of a move right now. I think you're the only one who didn't , though someone who bought some also did not. When I get all my stuff to my new location, I'll check and see if I have any more.

- Joe