What is your best way of telling someone where you are currently geocaching?

I was answering to another forum question about being obsessed with Geocaching and a thought occurred to me mid sentence. So what does happen when I am in the middle of the woods/ swamp/ mountains, etc. and something unexpected happens. Would anybody even know where I was?

So my question is this. What is your best practices for letting someone know where you go geocaching on any given day?

I know cell phones work 90% of the time nowadays so that is good. I use a green placard with my wifes and my phone numbers on it but I have to admit I don't always tell someone. Heck there have been times when I was a mile or two into the backwoods of West Virginia and the signal there can't be all that great. Didn't see a bear but know they are out there.

How about you?

How about you?
A good thing to think about before-hand and for me it's usually a simle note at home and a card in my windshield where ever I park (if I remember). Luckily I have a geocaching buddy who does helicopter patrols for the Sheriff Dept so I always keep his number handy. :unsure:

Brings me back to a most memorable situation for us. We unexpectedly decided to go kayaking (and geocaching) up at a little trickle of a hidden river called Gum Slough. To access it you park at some hole in the wall country boat launch and no one was there. We paddled up a few miles, found the entrance and made our way towards the spring head in heavy cypress marsh and swamp country. We even had to pull over a fallen tree to continue. A storm came out of nowhere, blackened the skys and lightning was blasting all around us. We didn't know if it was safer to be in the 'yaks or on the swamp ground. We were soaked and debating what to do when lightning hit VERY close by and we kicked up rooster tails paddling out. We had to cross two fallen trees on the way out so one went down as we were there. As we were struggling back to the launch we realized we never told anyone where we were going or anything and if we didn't get back the geo-Jeepster probably could of been at the launch weeks before anyone noticed. Not a really smart move but a lesson learned.

It's good to leave word with someone and also a card in the car window saying something like :

NAME - WE' RE GEOCACHING

CELL PHONE #

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

CONTACT - PHONE #

I was answering to another forum question about being obsessed with Geocaching and a thought occurred to me mid sentence. So what does happen when I am in the middle of the woods/ swamp/ mountains, etc. and something unexpected happens. Would anybody even know where I was?

So my question is this. What is your best practices for letting someone know where you go geocaching on any given day?

It really, really depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going.

For longer, out of range for a day/days, I have left maps of where I will be, and a specific-as-I-can-be note of what I'll be doing when, and set up a 'call' time to rendezvous with someone via phone (if it's a particularly tough, I could die, hike.)

I call after I'm out and on the road (and there's cell signal).

Other than that, I don't tend to worry about it much.

michelle

After reading "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" The Aaron Ralston story, I leave detailed topo maps of the area I plan on hiking to. This way my wife has something to give to S&R. I don't rely on cell phones to call my way out of trouble.

Edited by Kit Fox

Dean has been playing with creating website where folks can sign up and set up a trip. If they don't sign back in and click that they have returned, it sends emails out to an emergency contact or two giving the trip info and asking that they attempt to contact the hiker/cacher.

The Notifier

If you arrive home and clear the trip, nobody will every know you were out hiking or caching. It only sends out an email if you don't clear the trip by a scheduled time.

We once added an extra day to a cross country trip and about noon on the last day I received an email on my Blackberry saying that he was late returning and would I please contact Dean to find out if he is OK. Then it gave details of the planned trip.

I turned to him and asked if he was OK and did he need any help getting home from his trip because the Notifier had just contacted me. He was slightly confused until he remembered that he has used our trip as a test run on certain functions and forgotten to clear it or update it before we left. :unsure:

It is very bare bones, but it might be similar to what you are looking for.

J

I always tell my wife that when they find my car at some trailhead or Forest Service road pull-off, the first call should be to OzGuff (our resident uber-cacher) - I betting that he'll be able to figure-out what cache I was in search of.

The terrain around the western NC mountains can be a bit rough - I once slid 20 feet down an exposed wet rock face and broke a bone in my leg (luckily I had the family with me, was near the trailhead, and managed to hop out). So for a hike of any duration, if I am going alone, I carry a minimum amount of gear in my pack - a few energy bars, a space blanket, small first aid kit, couple of ways to start a fire; break a leg again, I won't be comfortable, but I'll stay alive.

Nice.

If I'm not out grabbing the latest city park micro I'll leave my wife a map showing the areas and waypoints of the areas I'm searching in. Give it to the sheriff if necessary.

I also have a print-out that provides my cellphone that I leave on the seat of my car. Should someone, like the police or park ranger find my car and look into it, they can give me a call while I'm on the trail. (No, I am not worried about giving out my cell phone)

Just the other day I was on the cell phone with my sister (who lives in another state) and walking to the trailhead by myself. I told her if she didn't hear from me in an hour, call my husband and tell him I was at that park (he'd know where) and I'd call her in 30 minutes. I kept an eye on the time to make sure I called her within 30 minutes, even though it meant a DNF. I went back the next day with my caching buddy and told my husband and kids where we were going. We found it that time.

A lot of times I don't know that I'm going into a certain area for a cache, so I don't have any plan. If it's a hike, I prefer to take a buddy, so that usually involves some planning. I guess I need to make sure every time I go out someone knows where I am.

Edited by TMDMom
The terrain around the western NC mountains can be a bit rough...
There's a bitter sweet memory.... visiting back when my kids were young and my son was around 5 years old. We were cruising around with my folks and some other relatives and went to Upper Whitewater Falls late in the day. Tring to grab shots I ran with camera in hand to the first overlook leaving my kids with my folks. Some other family came behind and my daughter had ran up with them, and then my parents came. I asked where my son was and they said he went ahead to catch us. He wasn't there. MISSING and almost dark. I ran from the upper overlook to parking about 10 times with my heart about to explode from my chest. After 30 minutes someone yelled they found him. He didn't see the turn to the overlook but was too far ahead of my parents and he continued to the top. He couldn't find anyone and sat down behind a big rock crying. I was within 10 feet of him yelling but the falls were so loud he couldn't hear me. I think I hugged him for about 4 days... scared me to pieces and let me know how easy it is to get lost, especially kids. Keep 'em close!!!

Good topid HHH...sorry we only spoke briefly at the event last week!

I always tell my wife that when they find my car at some trailhead or Forest Service road pull-off, the first call should be to OzGuff (our resident uber-cacher) - I betting that he'll be able to figure-out what cache I was in search of.

*Nod* my wife also has a similar cacher in her phone for a similar call. Although the Piedmont is certainly less treacherous than (wonderful) west NC. I'm heading your way soon, I should def give her Oz's number as well, heh.

Otherwise, I'm a little slack. I always used to leave copies of maps for my planned longer hikes. I tend to not do those solo anymore, so i guess i got a little less concerned with it. Until some kind of satellite beacon becomes truly affordable we're stuck with rushed off copies of maps. I like "Notifier" site though.

Edited by Maingray
*Nod* my wife also has a similar cacher in her phone for a similar call. Although the Piedmont is certainly less treacherous than (wonderful) west NC. I'm heading your way soon, I should def give her Oz's number as well, heh.
Hmmmm, a lot of Carolina chatter on this topic. Being raised in Burlington (and lots of family still there) the Piedmont is my old home tromping ground. If you run across a cacher named flaw.v1 there tell him his Uncle said if he doesn't get the FTF I'll have to head back home and have a talk with him.... over a cold Newcastle, that is :unsure:

Otherwise, I'm a little slack. I always used to leave copies of maps for my planned longer hikes. I tend to not do those solo anymore, so i guess i got a little less concerned with it. Until some kind of satellite beacon becomes truly affordable we're stuck with rushed off copies of maps. I like "Notifier" site though.
Notifier sounds good as I tend to do a lot of solo runs deep into preserves. Accidentally ran my mountain bike thru a big family of wild hogs a few weeks back on a solo run about 8 miles deep and thought that "what if" thought then...
How about you?
A good thing to think about before-hand and for me it's usually a simle note at home and a card in my windshield where ever I park (if I remember). Luckily I have a geocaching buddy who does helicopter patrols for the Sheriff Dept so I always keep his number handy. :unsure:

Brings me back to a most memorable situation for us. We unexpectedly decided to go kayaking (and geocaching) up at a little trickle of a hidden river called Gum Slough. To access it you park at some hole in the wall country boat launch and no one was there. We paddled up a few miles, found the entrance and made our way towards the spring head in heavy cypress marsh and swamp country. We even had to pull over a fallen tree to continue. A storm came out of nowhere, blackened the skys and lightning was blasting all around us. We didn't know if it was safer to be in the 'yaks or on the swamp ground. We were soaked and debating what to do when lightning hit VERY close by and we kicked up rooster tails paddling out. We had to cross two fallen trees on the way out so one went down as we were there. As we were struggling back to the launch we realized we never told anyone where we were going or anything and if we didn't get back the geo-Jeepster probably could of been at the launch weeks before anyone noticed. Not a really smart move but a lesson learned.

It's good to leave word with someone and also a card in the car window saying something like :

NAME - WE' RE GEOCACHING

CELL PHONE #

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

CONTACT - PHONE #

Look for a book called "Deep Trouble" by Matt Broze. It's loaded with stories like this, however most of them don't have happy endings. A couple of things in your narrative stood out:

" A storm came out of nowhere, blackened the skys and lightning was blasting all around us."

Typically storms don't come out of nowhere. I suspect with a little more planning (checking weather reports) there would have been a pretty good indication that a thunderstorm was likely. Many avid kayakers will carry a weather radio or VHF (with a weather frequency) on any extended outing.

"we never told anyone where we were going or anything and if we didn't get back"

When going off on a kayak trip for an extended period of time it's always a good idea to leave a float plan. All the suggestions about going off into the woods for a hike and leaving information with someone that knows where your are going and when you expect to return apply to kayaking as well.

The terrain around the western NC mountains can be a bit rough...
There's a bitter sweet memory.... visiting back when my kids were young and my son was around 5 years old. We were cruising around with my folks and some other relatives and went to Upper Whitewater Falls late in the day. Tring to grab shots I ran with camera in hand to the first overlook leaving my kids with my folks. Some other family came behind and my daughter had ran up with them, and then my parents came. I asked where my son was and they said he went ahead to catch us. He wasn't there. MISSING and almost dark. I ran from the upper overlook to parking about 10 times with my heart about to explode from my chest. After 30 minutes someone yelled they found him. He didn't see the turn to the overlook but was too far ahead of my parents and he continued to the top. He couldn't find anyone and sat down behind a big rock crying. I was within 10 feet of him yelling but the falls were so loud he couldn't hear me. I think I hugged him for about 4 days... scared me to pieces and let me know how easy it is to get lost, especially kids. Keep 'em close!!!

For those that may not know, these falls are the highest in the East - over 400 ft! With three "junior cachers" of my own, I can certainly identify with your anxiety. Hope the rest of the trip went better (although that was probably the end of the hiking for awhile, I bet!)

i don't tell people where i'm going, or when i'll be back.

recently i left home to go geocaching and came back 14 days later. i told people i was going to central NY or maybe new jersey or maybe northern ontario and i'd let them know when i got back.

i sleep in my car in deserted locales. i do not carry a weapon. i talk to strangers. i pick up hitchhikers.

maybe i'll die out there, maybe not. you pays your nickle, you takes your chances.

...So my question is this. What is your best practices for letting someone know where you go geocaching on any given day?...

If I'm just going out for the day, I'll leave Google Earth running on my laptop at home, zoomed in to the area where I'll be, and displaying the unfound caches. For longer trips, an itinerary printout showing the route.

The notifier looks like a great idea.

Dean has been playing with creating website where folks can sign up and set up a trip. If they don't sign back in and click that they have returned, it sends emails out to an emergency contact or two giving the trip info and asking that they attempt to contact the hiker/cacher.

The Notifier

If you arrive home and clear the trip, nobody will every know you were out hiking or caching. It only sends out an email if you don't clear the trip by a scheduled time.

It is very bare bones, but it might be similar to what you are looking for.

J

Sweet! :unsure: Since I don't have a spouse or other family to leave a note for, this could be a great way to let a couple of designated friends know if something happens. Thanks for sharing! I just signed up.

I/we leave a map on the computer of the area I/we will be in with a GSAK file loaded of all the caches I/we will be looking for.

As for a return time, that is very flexible as I/we could expand my/our trip to more areas, but still in the same basic GSAK file area.

A lot of the places I/we go, cell phones make a good paperweight and thats about it.

Logscaler

Classically, the three hiker's danger signs are going alone, going off trail, and not leaving trip plans with anyone. No one of these is particularly dangerous -- certainly I and a lot of others feel that getting too little exercise is far more dangerous than the possibility of an accident in the woods -- but you make your calculations and decide what you are comfortable with. Some people are uncomfortable taking any of the listed risks, some are comfortable taking all at the same time. Most of us fall somewhere in between. Knowing that these are classic danger signs can help you calculate the risk.

Cell phones don't work if you're unconscious. You can factor them into comfort risks, but don't factor them into survival risks.

Edward

I leave a note on the kitchen table telling the family where I went and when I expect to be home. If I'm not sure I'll list a few possibilities.

I also have a very loud whistle (the storm whistle) and enough supplies in my pack, waterproof bivy sack, fire starters, water purification tabs, extra clothing, knife, energy bars, etc. to spend the night if I have to. I also bring a cell phone, but it's sometimes out of range, so I don't rely on it.

If you run across a cacher named flaw.v1 there tell him his Uncle said if he doesn't get the FTF I'll have to head back home and have a talk with him.... over a cold Newcastle, that is :blink:

lol. I have met Flaw.v1, talked on phone a couple of times AND found a bunch of his caches in B-town! Cool!

My wife's a dummy when it comes to woodsmanship, so I gotta rely on the government to find me. So, I write down my location (as specific as I can get) with the clue "www.geocaching.com" so someone semi-intelligent can figure it out. The hard part is finding my truck. If I don't make it home, then they have to come looking. Hopefully, they won't have to search very long. Find the truck, figure out the geocache destination, find the body. Oh, and I always carry a daypack with survival supplies for overnight. Always makes me feel better to know that I'm prepared. I'm probably going to purchase a SPOT PLB for backup.

Lately, in addition to leaving a copy of my route with Mrs. Mule Ears, I've been carrying a SPOT tracker. I find the SPOTcast mode (coords transmitted automatically every 10 minutes) to be more useful than manually transmitted "OK" messages. SPOT is a broadcast-only device, so you can't tell whether your "OK" was received. Letting the unit continuously transmit updates means that home base is almost certain to receive a few position updates an hour (unless you're in a cave).

Edited by Mule Ears