Event Logbooks

DavidMac

I haven't see this topic discussed before, but it's something I've been wondering about. I've been to a variety of events across the US, ranging from simple eat-and-greets to well-organized mega contests. I've noticed that, usually, there is a logbook present for attendees to sign, especially at the larger events. I've also been to events were a logbook was completely absent. Either way, I usually don't think anything about it. If there's a log, I sign in, if not, I don't sweat it.

I've organized a few events, and had attendees approach me asking where the log is. Log? I didn't think about that... um... here, use this napkin :D . Is it a commonly accepted practice to expect attendees to sign the event log? Is this practice confined to the southeastern US... or mostly to larger events? Has anybody ever had an attended log deleted by an event owner because they didn't sign in?

We have signed a logbook or logsheet at every CITO and event we have been to. Just a simple piece of paper displayed on the wall or table with a couple of pens nearby will do. For some events (Flashmob) you MUST sign in to get credit.

(edited for stoopid spelling)

Edited by whistler & co.

In this area, there has always been a logbook, or sheet of paper, to sign at the Events and CITOs I have attended. I doubt if any Event organizer would ever delete an "Attended" log if a person didn't sign the logbook, but maybe they would if they knew the person absolutely wasn't at the Event or CITO and they logged an "Attended." :D

Never been to an event that "didn't" have a log to sign.

DCC

Same here. Thirty-something events in, I think, 7 states and they've all had a logbook.

I still have the log for the dozen or so events I have hosted.

No, I have never compared the log to my recollection of who was there.

No, even if I knew someone logged it that wasn't there I wouldn't delete it... just as I didn't delete the log on one of my caches that I know the armchair logger didn't go to.

Life's too short and there's many more interesting things to do than babysit geocachers!

I have hosted 23 official smiley events and quite a few "No Smiley, Just Smiles" events. Every single official event I've hosted since 2003 is in my log book. I haven't used it for much for the No Smiley events.

So many people have handled it that the cover has become detached and is falling apart, (gives it character) but the pages themselves are in fine condition. Quite a bit of geocaching history is in that log book. Folks like JoGPS, CCCooper, Team Alamo, Paint Fiction, Mtn-Man, and Doc Dean, to name a few have signed it. One of my hosted events had nearly 400 people in attendance from most of the 50 states and about 12 foriegn countries. :)

Sure I've been to a few events without one, but most have had a log book from my experience. ;)

The best event log book I ever saw was at GW5. Now this is a true log book!.

cccc640d-0b97-482d-a110-10f62bb89a6c.jpg

El Diablo

Best log I ever signed. :)

Around here there usually is a log book but nobody seems to make a fuss about it. I've signed some and not others because I simply forgot. I've never heard of an online attended log being deleted for not signing the physical log.

The only 'log' from an event that I've hosted that I ever kept were the two logs pictured above. They are still in my garage while I try to think of an excuse to haul them somewhere!