Lack of finds on a cache

If a cache has not been found for over 12 months should it be archived?

Maybe its just a really difficult cache. Its not uncommon for difficult puzzle caches to go for long periods of time without being found. If you provide the link to the cache, folks will be able to give you more informed opinions.

Which cache are you referring to ?

Is the cache owner still an active cacher ?

Here is the Cache in question GCQBK0

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

It looks a very difficult one to solve so maybe the rating is too low but don't see why it should be taken off. The owner has logged in recently so although not active caching is active in interest. Why not contact the owner if concerned?

Which cache are you referring to ?

Is the cache owner still an active cacher ?

Here is the Cache in question GCQBK0

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

It looks a very difficult one to solve so maybe the rating is too low but don't see why it should be taken off. The owner has logged in recently so although not active caching is active in interest. Why not contact the owner if concerned?

Every time you text there is a cost incurred. We attempted this once and received 17 chargeable messages for just 1 answer. Hence the lack of cachers attempting it.

I thought you may have been talking about this one ....

...also, when speaking to someone a while ago (that has completed it) they said they were disappointed at the end to find a micro .. all that work at least deserves a decent box.

Looking at his/her profile, they haven't been 'caching' since 2005 - although logged onto GC.com a few weeks ago.

I have recently noticed that a couple of their other caches are marked as needing maint and one has been archived by Decangi. One of them has been visited by the 'Box Doctor' so is back up and running (although still has maint attribute)

The other one is on my 'to do' list, but I was hoping for a maint visit to be done first

I thought you may have been talking about this one ....

...also, when speaking to someone a while ago (that has completed it) they said they were disappointed at the end to find a micro .. all that work at least deserves a decent box.

Looking at his/her profile, they haven't been 'caching' since 2005 - although logged onto GC.com a few weeks ago.

I have recently noticed that a couple of their other caches are marked as needing maint and one has been archived by Decangi. One of them has been visited by the 'Box Doctor' so is back up and running (although still has maint attribute)

The other one is on my 'to do' list, but I was hoping for a maint visit to be done first

We too were a teeny bit disappointed to find a micro (in a spot we'd been standing on earlier!). However, it's a really excellent cache to do, albeit sometimes spoilt by the frailness of the DOGTAG system. We actually remade and replaced one of the stages to keep it going. I notice that Berrow Cachers and I were the last to find it over a year ago.

This cache would really benefit from a makeover with Wherigo - it's perfectly suited and would make an excellent cartridge, so I've asked the cache owner if he's interested in creating a Wherigo cartridge for it.

Nooooooooo..... I'm trying for one in Bridgwater tomorrow which hasn't been found since August 2006. The cache owner hasn't logged in for a long time, and no logs on the page at all in 19 months! You found it in April 2006, and if I can't find it I have a few friends to call to describe where it is (if they can remember that far back!). If it's not there I'll post a "Needs Maintenance" and if that isn't responded to I'll post a "Should be archived".... then it can go to the big cache graveyard in the sky.

I'm hoping it is still there though!

Just because a cache has not been found for a while is absolutely no reason to archive it. There are plenty of good but difficult caches around the world that are infrequently visited, just because the number chasers don't go to them.

In this particular case, as it seems there are other concerns as to the 'propriety' of the cache, perhaps one of the reviewers should take a look? :o

Just because a cache has not been found for a while is absolutely no reason to archive it. There are plenty of good but difficult caches around the world that are infrequently visited, just because the number chasers don't go to them.

In this particular case, as it seems there are other concerns as to the 'propriety' of the cache, perhaps one of the reviewers should take a look? :o

The cache in question is being looked into.

Nooooooooo..... I'm trying for one in Bridgwater tomorrow which hasn't been found since August 2006. The cache owner hasn't logged in for a long time, and no logs on the page at all in 19 months! You found it in April 2006, and if I can't find it I have a few friends to call to describe where it is (if they can remember that far back!). If it's not there I'll post a "Needs Maintenance" and if that isn't responded to I'll post a "Should be archived".... then it can go to the big cache graveyard in the sky.

I'm hoping it is still there though!

I tried to do that one last month, but I couldn't find it. You only need to do challenge four and you can find that info on the web. Maybe that's where I went wrong. :o

Correct procedure would be to log a "Needs Archived" note on the cache page if you have any concerns or to contact the reviewer who published it. Sometimes people can be unnecessarily offended by postings like this on a public forum....especially if they haven't been doing what they should :lol:

Correct procedure would be to log a "Needs Archived" note on the cache page if you have any concerns or to contact the reviewer who published it. Sometimes people can be unnecessarily offended by postings like this on a public forum....especially if they haven't been doing what they should :lol:

I hear what you are saying but this thread was started purely as a generic question. The actual cache mentioned was only exposed when specific cache details were requested.

Just to clarify things, It isn't our intention to "Name and Shame" or to upset anyone.

Surely its not right for a cache to require texting a premium rate service?

Absolutely. Commercial cache, SBA.

I tend to agree with the above, if someone's making money from it, SBA!

If there's a cost involved like, the entrance fee to Kew Gardens or Southend Pier then it needs to say so in the description........these costs are slightly different to a premium rate phone service!

If it hasn't been visited for a year and the owner no longer logs in..........as long as the note book is replaced then I see no reason to archive.

As Deceangi said, it's being looked into (actually only one reviewer standing in a field scratching his head at the moment :lol: ) but even if it turns out to be a "commercial" cache it is so old it is considered "Grandfathered" so wouldn't be archived just because of the commercial aspect.

Lack of maintenance is another matter......................!

Correct procedure would be to log a "Needs Archived" note on the cache page if you have any concerns or to contact the reviewer who published it. Sometimes people can be unnecessarily offended by postings like this on a public forum....especially if they haven't been doing what they should :)

I hear what you are saying but this thread was started purely as a generic question. The actual cache mentioned was only exposed when specific cache details were requested.

Just to clarify things, It isn't our intention to "Name and Shame" or to upset anyone.

Bad attribution on my part. My reply was to Nebias and not yourself. I should have quoted his post in my reply :lol:

Correct procedure would be to log a "Needs Archived" note on the cache page if you have any concerns

I have for the first one.

The second one I suggested I should but just posted a "Needs Maintenance".

Good enough for me. I should have checked the cache pages first :lol:

Bear in mind though that reviewers don't receive notification of Needs Maintenance logs. It's only Needs Archived and Coordinate changes that come through the auto-notify route unless it happens to be on a personal watchlist/bookmark

Correct procedure would be to log a "Needs Archived" note on the cache page if you have any concerns or to contact the reviewer who published it....

That's just it. It's not an SBA as it seems the cache is fine and there is no evidence otherwise. The texting charge is another thing and that's being looked into already. No need for an SBA log based on a lot of speculation.

Correct procedure would be to log a "Needs Archived" note on the cache page if you have any concerns or to contact the reviewer who published it....

That's just it. It's not an SBA as it seems the cache is fine and there is no evidence otherwise. The texting charge is another thing and that's being looked into already. No need for an SBA log based on a lot of speculation.

I've already stated that my response was to Nebias and not to the OP. In Nebias' case a Needs Archived log is the appropriate action and isn't based on speculation

I've already stated that my response was to Nebias and not to the OP. In Nebias' case a Needs Archived log is the appropriate action and isn't based on speculation

Missed that.Sorry.

Missed that.Sorry.

No problem...just clearing up the confusion (which I partially caused in the first place!)

:lol:

I tried to do that one last month, but I couldn't find it. You only need to do challenge four and you can find that info on the web. Maybe that's where I went wrong. :lol:

I went today and DNF'd (not really that surprising tbh). I wonder how many other people have had a look without success and also not logged a DNF? If there were half a dozen DNF's I'd not have bothered even looking.