Paperless with Microsoft Vista

RussellM

I've been trying to go paperless for some time now. The only problem is that every time i try, the PDA isn't compatible with Microsoft Vista. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Vista when it comes to PDAs.

My older Tungsten T3 works fine with Vista Home Premium. I use GSAK to send to the Palm and Cachemate to manage the data points on the T3.

John

I have also been trying to go paperless for some time. I have a Garmin Legend. I was very happy to finally upload caches into my PDA from cachemate but became very frustrated when I no longer could get my computer to recognize my GPS so I could download additional caches into my "Legend". Here is what I did: 1. Clicked on the hot sync icon, 2. Click on set up, 3. Click on local 4. Changed (on my computer) the com port from 1 to 3. When I want to download into my PDA I will have to change the com port back to 1. I got the suggestion from FAQ.

I use a Palm M515 with Cachemate.

Palm, in their wisdom, have decided not to provide Vista compatibility for this older PDA so I cannot use the Hotsync function.

Instead, I just take the SD card out of the Palm, pop it into the card reader on the PC and transfer the files manually, whic is botheasy and faster than hotsync <_<

I've been trying to go paperless for some time now. The only problem is that every time i try, the PDA isn't compatible with Microsoft Vista. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Vista when it comes to PDAs.

Thanks

Russell

I'm using an HP iPAQ 2495 with Vista with no problems.

Saw your post, do not give up there is a way as I have been using Vista o.s. with an old Palm i 705-this has a usb connection cable and works great with gsak & cachemate for paperless caching. I downloaded a beta program from palm that allowed me to use this and it has worked fine ever since, try their web site and scroll through the download choices...good luck

Take Care and Keep on Caching (T C A K O C)!

Here's the link: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html

Palm Desktop by ACCESS 6.2 for Windows

and HotSync Manager 7.0

Posted January 15, 2008

* System requirements

* What's new?

* What's NOT in this software?

* Download & install

System Requirements

Windows versions:

* Windows Vista

Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate (32-bit editions)

* Windows XP

Home and Professional (32-bit editions)

* Windows Media Center Edition 2005

* Not compatible with 64-bit editions of Windows Vista or Windows XP. Not compatible with Server or Tablet PC editions of Windows.

Palm devices:

* Palm Centro

* Treo 755p , 700p, 680, 650

* Palm TX, Z22

* Tungsten E2

* Find the recommended version for your Palm device and Windows version

Desktop PC:

* 250 MB available hard disk space

* One available USB port for synchronization

* Not compatible with dual- or multiple-CPU computers. Note: this is not the same as a dual- or multi-core processor, which is compatible with Palm Desktop 6.2

Edited by clevek

Palm, in their wisdom, have decided not to provide Vista compatibility for this older PDA so I cannot use the Hotsync function.

Instead, I just take the SD card out of the Palm, pop it into the card reader on the PC and transfer the files manually, whic is botheasy and faster than hotsync <_<

Someone in the other thread reported that they they can sync their m515 to Vista with the new version of Palm Desktop.

Go to Palm's site and you can download a file to get your Palm to hot sync. I did this last year and have been hot sync'ing my m515 and HP Vista laptp ever since.

I've got a Palm T/X with OS 5.4 and Vista Home Premium. Running Palm desktop 4.2 not the Vista specifc version (6.2) I didn't do anything special, I just loaded the software and ran with it. Didn't even have to run it in XP compatibility mode (although that might solve the problem). Also using Norton a/v but I think I turned it off temporarily when I was installing.

Supposedly from the Palm website, I shouldn't be able to do this without upgrading to 6.2 but it does work. If this doesn't work for you then upgrade to Desktop 6.2 (that is if you are using a Palm at all :)