unarchiving/archivung caches

Munkeh

would someone like to explain to me ans maybe others why theres a group of about 20 caches that keen being archived/unarchived?

this has been happened a few times now and I'm starting to get sick of getting 40 notification for no real reason, thats 40 emails for nothing :unsure:

If I am getting them so are some other people!

would someone like to explain to me ans maybe others why theres a group of about 20 caches that keen being archived/unarchived?

this has been happened a few times now and I'm starting to get sick of getting 40 notification for no real reason, thats 40 emails for nothing :unsure:

If I am getting them so are some other people!

As caches can only ever be unarchived by the reviewers I'm a little surprised that so many are involved. It's only very occasionally we unarchive caches. Perhaps you could e-mail me some examples?

I'm guessing that I'm the Reviewer involved.

Who at the request of a member unarchived some caches to allow them to be adopted over to a Sock Puppet Account. Set up to by the owner to hold all the Archived caches owned by the primary account. As soon as the caches have been adopted over, they are re-archived. These moves were made in a series of blocks, the last 6 were made last night, the previous block being made about a month ago.

There is nothing sinister in this, this member just prefers to only have active caches listed to the primary account, but as you can't delete Archived caches. Simply wished them transferred over to the holding account. Archived caches can not be Adopted over, hence the Unarching/re-archiving on adoption. The sock puppet account is clearly identifiable as belonging to the primary account.

I hope this clears the issue up for everyone :laughing:

I'm guessing the owner didn't think of this prior to archiving them. I had to do something similar for a cacher in Ireland. Personally I don't see the problem with having archived caches on my profile but I could still see his point.

As you say it's much easier (especially for the reviewers!) if you adopt then archive :laughing:

Who at the request of a member unarchived some caches to allow them to be adopted over to a Sock Puppet Account. Set up to by the owner to hold all the Archived caches owned by the primary account. As soon as the caches have been adopted over, they are re-archived. These moves were made in a series of blocks, the last 6 were made last night, the previous block being made about a month ago.

There is nothing sinister in this, this member just prefers to only have active caches listed to the primary account, but as you can't delete Archived caches. Simply wished them transferred over to the holding account. Archived caches can not be Adopted over, hence the Unarching/re-archiving on adoption. The sock puppet account is clearly identifiable as belonging to the primary account.

I hope this clears the issue up for everyone :anicute:

If we all adopted this way of managing caches, then there would be a 100% increase in accounts, seems like a waste of server space to me...

Perhaps Groundspeak should put another tab in the profiles, 'Archived Caches and Missing Trackables'.

Should I now set up a sockpuppet just because I've had a Coin go missing just after release, probably stolen for a personal collection?

:drama:

<snip>

Should I now set up a sockpuppet just because I've had a Coin go missing just after release, probably stolen for a personal collection?

:anicute:

Yes.

I for one didn't want 30 archived caches on my page so I did the same as the person who prompted this thread.

Once you've actually hidden some caches, you might see why people do this :drama:

If we all adopted this way of managing caches, then there would be a 100% increase in accounts, seems like a waste of server space to me...

AFAIK server space isn't a problem. The slowdowns on the site had more to do with the number of people and queries trying to access the database at the same time. As you can only log into one account at a time I don't see how having two accounts can cause a problem in terms of site speed etc.

<snip>

:anicute:

Yes.

I for one didn't want 30 archived caches on my page so I did the same as the person who prompted this thread.

Once you've actually hidden some caches, you might see why people do this :drama:

all my archived caches are in this account along with the live ones, I've never used a sockpuppet account

They all drop to the bottom of the list, and they show a full history of your caches set, so I can't quite see what the problem is. What's so bad about having some archived caches in your profile?

all my archived caches are in this account along with the live ones, I've never used a sockpuppet account

True, but most of my caches are now archived and I wanted rid of them so I could either pack it in or start again with a clean sheet. I hate mess! There's another cache joining them soon...

I hope this clears the issue up for everyone :drama:

And I am the person you are talking about :huh:

Nothing devious or sly, I simply wanted to tidy up my geocaches/tb owned page, so I opened a sock account (4 and Jess) nothing devious or sly about that account either, you could easily guess who were are :anicute: the sock account is to place dead caches and TBs into.

I ask Deci to open my archived caches which he did I adopted them straight into our sock name and archived them again. ;) I had to have them opened by a reviewer to adopt them to the sock account as they were already archived caches of ours.

You must be watching a lot of archived caches ;) and there was certainly no where near 40 caches, 6 this weekend and I think maybe 12 two/three weeks ago

Mandy ;)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Once you've actually hidden some caches, you might see why people do this :anicute:

How can you be sure they haven't hidden loads, then archived them and adopted them over to another account? :drama:

Er, mainly because they said it "seems like a waste of server space to me". Unless, of course, they are telling porkies. And no one does that here, do they? :huh:

You must be watching a lot of archived caches :anicute: and there was certainly no where near 40 caches, 6 this weekend and I think maybe 12 two/three weeks ago

If you have notifications set up to alert you to archive and/or unarchive for all the different types of caches within a certain distance, you get an email for each one. If you've unarchived and archived 18 caches, 36 emails will be sent to anyone who has set up those particular alerts. Munkey said "about 20 caches". A pretty good guess in my opinion :drama:

I still don't see what's messy or untidy about having archived caches on your profile.... but each to his/her own :huh:

Fer wots his name sake!! lighten up folkes.. this is a hobby/sport/game.. whatever..

We all play it as we see fit.. me.. I do it at a snails pace others at high speed.

If some one wants to complain about a shed load of emails because they watching defunct caches then yahoo.. yer can switch it off..

Nuff said.. more to life.. think of our guys in Afgahnistan and bring it in perspective.

Yes I peeeeeee'd of with such a pathetic thread

<snip>

:)

Yes.

Once you've actually hidden some caches, you might see why people do this :)

Actually, I've hidden 7 caches, 4 on behalf of 'granthamscouts' and 3 with my own profile. The reason my own 3 don't show in my profile (where you presumably looked before making the smug sounding comment) is that on moving to the USA for a few years with my job I had them adopted to save from archiving them.

So your comment is void and just because I am not an IT geek, I still think that a 100% increase in accounts is a waste of resources, even if it is only a few bytes each.

As I also said "Perhaps Groundspeak should put another tab in the profiles, 'Archived Caches and Missing Trackables'. " Then everyone can keep their accounts tidy if they so wish. :lol:

<snip>

:anibad:

Yes.

Once you've actually hidden some caches, you might see why people do this :o

Actually, I've hidden 7 caches, 4 on behalf of 'granthamscouts' and 3 with my own profile. The reason my own 3 don't show in my profile (where you presumably looked before making the smug sounding comment) is that on moving to the USA for a few years with my job I had them adopted to save from archiving them.

So your comment is void and just because I am not an IT geek, I still think that a 100% increase in accounts is a waste of resources, even if it is only a few bytes each.

As I also said "Perhaps Groundspeak should put another tab in the profiles, 'Archived Caches and Missing Trackables'. " Then everyone can keep their accounts tidy if they so wish. :o

See: you found a way of getting rid of them from your account :o:o:o