Headlamps

Ferreter5

Howdy. I've been doing some reading on headlamps and was wondering what other geocachers are using for night hiking and night geocaching.

Some I've been considering include (in no particular order):

Petzl DUO LED 14

Petzl MYO XP

Zebralight H50-Q5

Princeton Tec Apex

Anyone have experience with any of these headlamps or any others you'd recommend I take a look at?

Edited by Ferreter5

I have an older version of this lamp Petzl Myo 3 (read: same everything but the colors).

But we also have two Princeton Tec EOS'.

Each was chosen for different purposes - the MYO is more caching-in-the-dark friendly (easily focusable xenon bulb) and the EOS is more backpacking/don't want to carry extra batteries/lighter/smaller/regulated long run time/yadda friendly.

When I was looking for another headlamp this past summer, I chose to buy a second EOS instead of going with something else - again - backpacking... not caching.

I purchased an XP in the past and gave it away. It was highly recommended, but I think you would be better off with something else for your purpose.

If I needed another something like the MYO, I'd have to give the Apex a good look. Ok, I'll probably head to REI and give it the twice over anyway. I'm intrigued... and of those you've listed, I'd be more inclined to purchase it based on the manufactures info. In real life, I'd research more than just one and not using manu info-only.

Good luck. Some great choices there.

Hi CurmudgeonlyGal. Thanks for taking the time to reply with your experiences.

Each was chosen for different purposes - the MYO is more caching-in-the-dark friendly (easily focusable xenon bulb) and the EOS is more backpacking/don't want to carry extra batteries/lighter/smaller/regulated long run time/yadda friendly.

Hmm, now I think I'll add the EOS to my list of ones to check out. Unfortunately, everything is a tradeoff!

If I needed another something like the MYO, I'd have to give the Apex a good look. Ok, I'll probably head to REI and give it the twice over anyway. I'm intrigued... and of those you've listed, I'd be more inclined to purchase it based on the manufactures info. In real life, I'd research more than just one and not using manu info-only.

I hope to try before I buy. I'll be hitting the stores around here to see what the have that I can look at and try out. I think I'll end up with 3 to 4 on my list that I'll specifically seek out to try in-person.

It's sort of frustrating around here because there are mostly a few chain stores that don't usually carry much serious outdoors stuff. We have Dick's, Gander Mountain, and EMS. Dick's is suburb generic-stuff hell. Gander Mountain usually at least has some stuff to look at if not all I'd like. The EMS store is so tiny they are mostly a clothes and backpack store. I may have to trek an hour east to check out the Bass Pro. Either way, I do like to try before I buy!

I prefer this Petzl.

Hi Fathergoose. Thanks for pointing out the Petzl Tikka.

Do you prefer the Tikka due to its size/weight? Brightness? Focus options?

Do you find having only LED bulbs sufficient vs a headlamp that also has a halogen bulb?

Thanks again for pointing out the Tikka.

Yes size and weight are big factors. I tend not to like extra battery packs. Also with the diffuser you can add a red filter that works well for night caching. As for the LED I have switched to mostly LED even my Surefire is LED.

Yes size and weight are big factors. I tend not to like extra battery packs. Also with the diffuser you can add a red filter that works well for night caching. As for the LED I have switched to mostly LED even my Surefire is LED.

Hey, thanks, Fathergoose. It seems several folks are preferring smaller and lighter headlamps to the larger and heavier ones. When I do my shopping I'll have to pay attention to that.

I have this Petzl.

Ultralight, ultra compact and very bright.

Hi Team Perrito Blanco. Wow, I guess that is very lightweight and small. I wouldn't have thought something like that would provide loads of light.

My only headlamp experience is a small Energizer 2-LED unit that runs on 3 AAA batteries. I've used it around home when I need light and use of both of my hand to do something (e.g. work under the sink, carry firewood at night). It's okay for stuff like that but I wouldn't want to use it out night hiking/geocaching. But, maybe some of the ones I originally listed are overkill (e.g. Petzl DUO).

Edited by Ferreter5

I use the Petzel Tikka Plus. It's good enough for night hiking and putzing about the camp. It's nice and lightweight and has very long battery life. I don't like the feel of a bulky headlamps, which is why the Tikka Plus is perfect.

If I need a strong, focused beam, I prefer to use a hand held light. I have a Princeton Tec Rage for that purpose. Battery life sucks, but I usually only need such a beam for a minute or two at a time. It's one powerful light for its size.

I use the Petzel Tikka Plus. It's good enough for night hiking and putzing about the camp. It's nice and lightweight and has very long battery life. I don't like the feel of a bulky headlamps, which is why the Tikka Plus is perfect.

If I need a strong, focused beam, I prefer to use a hand held light. I have a Princeton Tec Rage for that purpose. Battery life sucks, but I usually only need such a beam for a minute or two at a time. It's one powerful light for its size.

That's a good thought. Get a headlamp for a great floodlight and use a handheld for a light with more throw. Thanks for the suggestion!

I currently use a Streamlight Twin-Task 3C as my main flashlight around home and when I'm going out hiking at night now, and I have a Streamlight Twin-Task 3AA as my backup.

Ditto, I had one of those cheap single LED units until I actually tried to actually hike with it. I went ahead and spent the $25-30 for the Tikka Plus. It is very bright for an LED unit and lasts a long time.

Hey, that was a neat blog article with the photos! Thank you for pointing it out. Which did you end up buying and how do you like it?

I decided to get Myo XP because I want the diffuser option. I have the Energizer he talks about, and while the light is strong, it is narrow angle, and I get tired of regularly panning my head just to get a decent view of my surroundings. I didn't see enough difference in the angle of the light beam between the Energizer and the Tikka. As for the longevity of the batteries, I do not make it a habit of hiking repeatedly in the dark, so 150 hours vs. 70 hours doesn't mean anything to me.

Once thing I would like though is red color diffuser in addition to the white one. For night hiking in easy terrain it helps you maintain night vision, and it also has another benefit - eyes in the dark immediately catch your attention when they glow red against black background, but easily escape detection when they are whitish against dark grey background :D.

Oh, one more item (may not be important to others) - I hate AAA batteries. And of course, the Tikka (like the Energizer) uses three of them :D . Have you ever seen AAA batteries sold in a package of three? Either Alkaline or rechargeable? Nothing else I have uses AAA, and I keep losing the fourth one. Aarrgghh. Myo XP uses four AA.

I decided to get Myo XP because I want the diffuser option. I have the Energizer he talks about, and while the light is strong, it is narrow angle, and I get tired of regularly panning my head just to get a decent view of my surroundings.

Hmmm, that's interesting being able to use the same light for flood as well as spot.

Once thing I would like though is red color diffuser in addition to the white one.

Can't say as I've ever used a red light at night. I might have to find someone around here with one to see what it's like.

I hate AAA batteries. And of course, the Tikka (like the Energizer) uses three of them :D . Have you ever seen AAA batteries sold in a package of three? Either Alkaline or rechargeable? Nothing else I have uses AAA, and I keep losing the fourth one. Aarrgghh. Myo XP uses four AA.

I'm a big fan of the AA battery format for most of my devices. With regard to they MYO XP, the Petzl web site claims it runs on 3 AA batteries. Yours runs on 4 AA batteries?

I'm a big fan of the AA battery format for most of my devices. With regard to they MYO XP, the Petzl web site claims it runs on 3 AA batteries. Yours runs on 4 AA batteries?

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I thought I read 4 AA, I may have been wrong. I can't comprehend the idea of using odd number (larger than 1) of batteries. It is dumb. AA is still better than AAA.

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I thought I read 4 AA, I may have been wrong. I can't comprehend the idea of using odd number (larger than 1) of batteries. It is dumb. AA is still better than AAA.

That was my thought as well until someone pointed out the weight difference. It's significant, but personally I'd rather just put up with the extra weight for the superior burn time :anibad:

While on my last night cache I used the Princeton Tec Apex headlamp. Most of the time I used the mode that uses the 4 ultrabrite LED's. This setting provided good lighting of the trail and was very useful locating the reflective trail markers. At one point when the spacing of the markers greatly increased I changed to the mode that uses the maxbrite LED which dramatically increased the throw over the ultrabrites and I could then locate several markers further ahead on the trail.

This headlamp can use NiMH rechargable AA batteries along with alkalines and lithium.

I have found this headlamp to be very comfortable due to the strap that goes over the top of my head along with the battery pack in the rear.

I have a Black Diamond Icon which I have used more for work than for caching or hiking. Less expensive than the Tec Apex and lighter, as it uses 3 AAs instead of 4. Has a center LED and four smaller ones, switchable with different light levels for each. Also they have available a battery pack but it's kind of spendy and I don't see the point if you're going to use NIMH AAs anyway.

I've been backcountry hiking for most of my life, with many miles of AT, LT, and other assorted trails behind me. Geocaching is my new interest that will go along with my backcountry passions beginning this year, and my now 13 yo son loves the challenge.

Headlamps? First off, my son and I both have Petzl Tikka Plus (I paid $24 for each), and I've used Petzl lamps for years. They seem to be the most reliable, battery-sipping, rugged, and easy-to-maintain headlamps available. My son and I love to night hike Southern Presi summits or Monadnock and ID the heavens with a star-chart and binoculars; our lamps have performed perfectly on these black-night trips.

Secondly, I've always had a backcountry gear philosophy: "Keep it simple and you'll stay on the trail". I've never been one to be a "gear-wonk" (except for my packs! I like comfort here!), and that has served me very well on the toughest terrain and on the longest trips. That's what I like with my headlamp: durable, simple, plenty of illumination (even during the heaviest rains at night; a true test!), AAA batteries are available everywhere/small and easy to pack an extra set, water resistant, light-weight, no frills. I will say that I've never seen anyone with a failed headlamp of any make, but I've seen plenty with odd construction or so many impractical features.

Just like backpacking stoves: I've used a Pepsi-can stove with a home-made aluminum-flashing windscreen for 8 years now; the current stove is going on 3 years now! It never breaks, it's as light as can be, uses about 1.5 oz. of alcohol to boil a quart of water in under 5 minutes, the fuel is available EVERYWHERE, and no moving parts! I've shared my stove countless times with hikers on the trail experiencing break-downs or failures with their fancy and expensive butane or multi-fuel stoves; I'm eating while others are still trying to get their's lit! Again, simple lasts, and costs a lot less too.

Anyway, just my advice here: unless that headlamp has features that you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT, spend that extra money on a good pair of boots or a better GPS receiver.

Peace. :D

Edited by oldetowneteamfan

Howdy oldtowneteamfan,

Thank you for sharing your long experience with outdoor activities and with using Petzl headlamps. They're definitely one of the manufacturers I've been looking at. They seem to come highly recommended quite often.

Whichever headlamp I end up with I plan to enjoy it for a long time.

Edited by Ferreter5

My son has the Petzl TIKKA XP and I have the Black Diamond Spot. You can't go wrong with either of these lights they are both excellent headlamps. My preference is for the Black Diamond Spot because it has multiple lights; a 1 Watt Hyperbright focused spotlight and a 3 LED Superbright light. The various lighting options are great for allowing you to pick the right amount of light for various tasks. My only complaint is that Black Diamond has greatly exaggerated the battery life at various settings. Battery life is really good but the times they give are unrealistic.

I will echo oldtowneteamfan's statement. As a reformed gear o holic, I learned a couple years ago about ultralight. Which is essentially paring down any extras with your gear. I went from a weighty stove to the pepsi can stove, and love it. I also had a headlamp with the batt pack on the back of the strap. It worked great, but had features I didnt usually use. One of them was the ability to place the batt pack inside your jacket when out in the cold. Well, didnt use it, and switch to a BD mini headlamp of some model or another. Tiny thing, the batteries actually outlasted the lamp! I broke it last spring, and went to carrying a small LED maglight for a bit. I just went to LL Bean over the weekend, and picked up a $20 LED headlamp, that is exactly what I was looking for. Light, cheap, although it takes watch style batteries, I find that headlamps last for YEARS on one set.

I dont normally shop at LL Bean, but, with a no questions asked return policy, I feel this may be my last headlamp purchase, ever. Barring I dont lose it...

I have a Princeton Tec one, not sure which model. Came with a 3-led reflector and a white light bulb reflector. Main reason I bought it was that it uses 2 AA batteries so I don't have to carry AAAs too. I replaced the batteries after using it for almost 2 years. I'd guess around 100 hours on 2 AA batteries. Other people have said it is a bit dim...but I can see just fine with it and it doesn't wreck my night vision. I use it for night caching, camping, hiking, etc.

I'll just add that if you use the white light reflector the battery life is only supposed to be around 4-6 hours...I've never installed that reflector tho.

Edited by victorymike

Howdy victorymike,

Thank you for letting me know how you've used and enjoyed your Princeton Tec headlamp.

Sounds like you have one with a modular light array that can be swapped. In my research I've found several with that feature straight from the manufacturer.

So far I'm finding a lot of good headlamps to choose from so I don't think I can go wrong with whatever I end up with!

I work for REI and sell them daily, and have many of my own, both bulb and LED (I get some freebees) and my favorite is the tikka xp, it's smaller and lighter than the ones that use a seperate battery compartment makeing it easier to carry and more comfortable, you can also get the tactikka xp with 4 differant colored lenses allowing you to be stealthy if you need to, I hope that helps.

I now have the 2008 model Petzl MYO XP. It runs on 3xAA lithium or NiMH or alkaline batteries, has three light levels plus a 20-second turbo, has a flip-up diffuser to change it from a spot light to a flood light, and the light head can be pivoted up and down. It doesn't feel all that heavy on my head, but that is most likely a personal preference among folks.

So far I've only used it a couple of times at night to take our dog for a walk around our property, but it's working our rather well. I hope to get out for some night hiking and geocaching in the near future. I'll post more about its use in the future. Now my lights consist of:

- Petzl MYO XP 2008 (headlamp)

- Fenix L2D (2xAA flashlight)

- Fenix L0D (1xAAA flashlight on my keychain for everyday use and last ditch hiking backup)

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and helped me with great suggestions for headlamps to consider. Please feel free to continue to use this thread for headlamp discussions.

Edited by Ferreter5

I have quite a collection of headlamps. My first, a petzl duo has been relagated to the utility room as it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer ones.

Then I got an aurora, and a petzel tikka. I got the tikka first but the button malfunctioned quickly so I got the aurora.

Then I moved up to the larger ones. For a long time my favorite was the princton tec corona. It has 8 leds and many differant levels of brightness. I really liked being able to choose between strapping the sun to my forehead or reading in bed.

Then I got a PT apex. You can't dim it enough to read in bed but other than that it's the macdaddy of headlamps!! I think the spotlight is 80 lumens!!!

The aurora glares when reading in bed and I gave the petzls another chance. I got a zipka plus and liked it so much I got the tikka plus as well. Haven't had any problems with the switches.

I like the features of the PT's , like being regulated and waterproof but the smaller petzl has better ergonomics. THere is a little lip, plus it is tiltable and isn't as flat against your head. If you wear glasses this is great because of the greatly reduced glare.

I also have a PT quad I got on sale. This is a very nice light and you can use lithiums in it as well. (petzl warns against that)

A word about glare:

I don't know why manufacturors insist on making the cases of headlamps out of transparent material. The glare these things make is just silly! :unsure: I got some flat black acrylic paint for models and carefully painted all around the edges of the housing whereever there was glare, practically the whole thing. THis made a world of differance. I have also used electrical tape but the paint is so much more durable and easy.

I have at least one headlamp with me at all times, I use them constantly around the house, in additon to outdoor sports. I find that differeant ones fill differeant niches and use them all more or less equally. I just orded a Petzl Tactikka Plus so I could have the option of red when I don't want to blind others. I didn't appreciate this until I got an energizer one from walmart. That one is kind of a cheap piece of crap but I found the red very useful.

So there you have it. I need to join a 12 step program for headlamps.

I have bought several over the years, but I keep coming back to my old Black Diamond Zenix. It has a big LED spot light and two small led area lights. I use the spot for hunting caches, etc. and use the sidelights around camp or walking the trail. I also have a great Petzl that has a big halogen adjustable spotlight and four smalll leds task lights that I like, but for me that Black Diamond is nearly perfect.

Wow, and here I was happy with my $15 Energizer headlamp. Do you guys expect too much or do I expect too little? :anibad:

On some of the backpacking boards I go to a lot of folks use and like the energizer headlamp. I got one on a whim based on mostly good reviews but it seems cheaply made. Of course it is kind of cheap so I guess that's to be expected. Also the switch cycles differant (and more awkwardly) than I am used to.

That being said the red mode is awesome! Even inexpensive headlamps are pretty useful. Expensive ones can fail as well then you are out more bucks.

That being said the red mode is awesome!

That is one thing I cannot understand about some much more expensive headlamps - the lack of red light. Why wouldn't you want to have it? ;)

I think that folks that get the pricier ones, like the apex and such, are wanting very bright lights to see, not tactical lights to preserve night vision. I have a small red microlight that I take with me when I'm hiking but I've never used it. The only time I've wanted the red light is at home when I don't want to blind people. I've never been in a situation where I needed to preserve my night vison.

That being said I just now, today, recieved in the mail my rei order which included the petzel tactinna, the one that has the flip up red filter. The tikka plus is my favorite reading headlamp and this one is just like it except for the flip up red filter.

I have a lot of headlamps but I don't hoard them all for myself, every now and then I give one away as a present.

Looking over your choices I guess the duo 14 is closest to what I have now; I would choose one of the duo series if I were replacing my light. I haven't tried the latest generations of leds, so my experience is about 3 years old. I love my light and have no need to replace yet. I'm pretty sure I have the Petzl Myo 3. My criteria was: able to choose between bright spotlight and long life led. It has two brightnesses of led, on which I get something on the order of 80-100+ hours of light. I hike at night often because I will leave work on Friday, pull into trailhead (summer) with maybe 2 hours of sunlight left, and go for 2-3 hours in dark until I make campl. It's just what I do, so I need long battery life. Most of the time the led light is adequate, but where the trail is less obvious or forks I really need the powerful spotlight, at least for a moment. On canoe fishing trips, I mark the take out point as a waypoint. I get caught after dark (not smart anyway, but....it's what I do...) sometimes on the water when the fishing in one spot was spectacular..the gps tells me when I'm close to the take out, I need the spotlight again to avoid obstacles and see the take out point (large river). It's an all-around light that I need. Downside is it's bulky compared to others that are pure led, but since it's basically a headband I don't really notice the extra bulk. I love it. I'd be hard pressed to go with anything other than Petzl, because of rugged reliability.

Edited by kokodoug

We bought and tested serveral lamps, including petzl models and black diamond. Finally settled on cabels alaskan guide series. Not the smallest or lightest, but it threw a good beam, uses AA bateries like the GPS (and we always have plenty of those on us) and felt balanced on our head. And its very easy on the batteries. Half our caching last summer was a night and they didnt let us down.

I use the Petzl MYO-5 Belt. Don't know how it holds up to the new generation, but it's very impressive. The Xenon lamp is very useful in tunnels, for sighting stiles at the other end of a field and for firetacks too. 4 batteries sit in your pocket rather than you head and last forever.

Mine died at Christmas (just over a year old) and I was pleased to find the 3 year warranty was honoured immediately, so I won't be changing any time soon. :huh:

The Petzl Tikka Plus, is perfect for night hikes and great for around the camp, waterproof and has several light modes. http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?P...3&Critere=0

I had a long and happy six years of life out of my Petzl Tikka, it served me well and when I looked at a replacement I looked hard and long and could'nt turn my back on the Tikka, based on the years of great sevice that this tinly light gave me, so I plumbed for the Tikka Plus, looks the same, but includes a tilt rachet and a fourth LED as apposed the three from the old Tikka, it also takes full advantage of the new hybrid LEDs and is miles brighter than my old Tikka, pushing out 35 lumens of workable light.

I've never liked big heavy headtorches that have a strap over the top. The Tikka Plus is perfect for me, it's realy light, and very bright, one set of 3xAAAs will last me a whole weekend. Another nice feature about a single headband headtorch is you can pull it down around your neck, that way it's ready as the darkness starts to close in, and great when you wake up in the middle of the nite and need to go pee, no more looking for your headtorch as it's around your kneck while you sleep.

When I need a strong, long focused beam, I use a Dorcy Hawkeye single LED 45 lumens hand torch that also runs on 3xAAAs, and has a wicked bright beam that will send a bright light a good way down the trail, which is ideal for night navigation and if needed search and rescue. Its got a crush proof body and two extra lenses in the tailcap, one blue and one red, and is also waterproof.

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414279

For me LEDs give a great return on my supply of batteries and as time has gone on LEDs have been further developed, and that's resulted in an increasing number of people switching to them.

got this yesterday and took it out for a night geocache last night. Lets just say this is brighter on the low setting then most headlamps I have seen on high. This really does light up the night. I'm sure the batteries might not last as long as some others but thats ok with me considering how bright it is. The proplem I have with most headlamps is they give off enough light to ruin your night vision but not enough for you to really see more then a step or two down the trail.