Paperless Caching with an Ipod

mm_dancer

i thought i had seen a topic on this a little while ago but my search came up empty so here goes, i am thinking of asking for an ipod nano for my birthday and wondered if it is possible to do paperless geocaching with it, i always take along the size difficulty/terrain and important parts of the description and the hints still decoded when going out caching, as i dont get out very much i like to have a good idea of what im looking for so i dont always come out empty handed. SO here are my questions to those who know the answers

Can you put cache pages into an ipod?

if so what program do you need to do it?

is it free?

What does it save on the ipod?

how big are the files?

and any other information anyone has on caching with an ipod!

thanks for helping me out!

mm_dancer

i thought i had seen a topic on this a little while ago but my search came up empty so here goes, i am thinking of asking for an ipod nano for my birthday and wondered if it is possible to do paperless geocaching with it, i always take along the size difficulty/terrain and important parts of the description and the hints still decoded when going out caching, as i dont get out very much i like to have a good idea of what im looking for so i dont always come out empty handed. SO here are my questions to those who know the answers

Can you put cache pages into an ipod?

if so what program do you need to do it?

is it free?

What does it save on the ipod?

how big are the files?

and any other information anyone has on caching with an ipod!

thanks for helping me out!

mm_dancer

I load the information into my iPod into Notes. I use MacCaching software (this software is not free). The files are text files so they are small.

I think that any iPod with the ability to store and display Notes will work.

Works for me! ;)

is GSAK free?

I think you can still use it free with a little annoyance window or something that pops up and hinders you from using it for like 60 seconds, but I enjoyed the software and paid for it...it was like $20.

so its a one time thing, not a monthly fee?

Yes, kinda, I paid one time in early 2006 and haven't been charged since. I believe on occasion that they will charge after so many upgrades, but we aren't talking like even yearly...maybe someone that has had it longer than me can share their experience as well.

so if i dont have a premium membership, is it still possible to download them into the ipod?

You need 3rd party software to download the information into an iPod (you don't do it directly from GC.com). However, to get the maximum information from GC.com to your computer, you will need a Premium Membership. You could, in theory, transfer information from GC.com to your computer using copy-paste, and then download the information to your iPod, but this would be a pain.

a premium membership will also allow you to do Pocket Queries (1 big file with many waypoint GPX files in it). without the premium membership all you can get are the .loc files 1 at a a time which don't include all the details like a GPX file. With Pocket Queries (PQ's) you can then open them with a program like GSAK and do many different things with the files. Go to GSAK.net and download the software and try it. The nag screen will eventually get you to pay but I would try it first. On the GSAK forum look for the iPod macro and download that and install it too. Then when GSAK is open you can just run the macro and push all those cache details from the GPX files (up to 1000) into your iPod.

here is a link to the iPod macro info page with screenshots:

iPodNotes Macro

Edited by KJcachers

so if i dont have a premium membership, is it still possible to download them into the ipod?

I also use GSAK 7.2 to load into my I-Pod and it is very sleek. GSAK costs around $25 as a voluntary one time fee.

I am a premium member and therefore can load hundreds of caches at a time, but you don't need to be a premium member to load caches. You will just have to transfer them to GSAK from geocaching.com one at a time. This isn't really a problem because the transfer is very quick; less time than it takes to print out a cache page.

I investigated many other methods for loading caches to my iPod, but I'm not much of a techie, so the macro in GSAK 7.2 was perfect.

I see. Well it looks like a custom export from GSAK supports quite a few file formats, so as long as the player had notes or contacts or something to store them in it would probably work. I'm no computer genius though, so who knows.

Yeah, I am looking into that aspect now...I work in IT, actually (not that that makes me a genius), but I thought if someone could save me the time from firsthand knowledge I'd save some effort.

Thanks anyway!

Sound like me. I used an iPod video (80GB) at Alum creek. To add caches copy all info into notepad then save all the files. Then plug your Ipod in (Compatable with all Ipods with a screen) You should get a window that says notes,calender,and contacts. Drag the notepad files into the ipod's folder notes then eject it and then go to extras then notes an their they are!!!

So simple a 14 year old can do it. Problem is I dont have a 14 year old. I do however have an IPOD, GASK, and am a Premium member. Can some one post some specific detailed steps to be successful?

I would like my IPOD to have the cache name, location perhaps some basic info and maybe the last log or two. What is realistic and once again HOW TO. Thanks in advance.

So simple a 14 year old can do it. Problem is I dont have a 14 year old. I do however have an IPOD, GASK, and am a Premium member. Can some one post some specific detailed steps to be successful?

I would like my IPOD to have the cache name, location perhaps some basic info and maybe the last log or two. What is realistic and once again HOW TO. Thanks in advance.

Go here.

It will have everything you want.

man, just read the posts! I already left a link right to the iPodNotes macro for GSAK with instruction on how to install and use.

sorry...bad day.

That's the problem I read all the info and still can't figure it out.

Now I am having a bad day

download the macro from the link above and while GSAK is open run the file. This will install the macro in GSAK. After it is installed you can go to the top and click on macros. There should be a list of all installed macros shown. Click on the ipodnotes.gsk macro and let it run. You will be asked for the drive letter of the ipod (which you can find through the "My Computer") and select Smartname sorting. click OK or run whatever and it should transfer everything into your iPod. make sure yur iPod is plugged into your PC and also make sure the settings for the iPod in Itunes have the manage files enabled. After you run the macro successfully you should be able to go to Notes in the iPod and then Geocaches and you should see a list of all your caches.

I set up a seperate database in GSAK just for the caches I want to send to my iPod. Remember you can only transfer notes for 1000 caches and child waypoints like parking. Any other questions feel free to email, I will PM you my direct email.

I was too interested in this idea and found this tutorial on how to do it.

using "Cachemagnet"

But have not looked any farther into it.

This program works very well and I have used it for a while and found a bunch of caches with this method. The only drawback is that you can only load about 300 or so caches on your iPod while most GPS's can load 500 or more.

Success. I was able to figure out how to get basic cache info on my iPod with GSAK. The next issue is I dont have all the data I would like. The Cachemate demo shows lots of information. I am only able to get the name and coortinates. Any more suggestions?

Did you use the macro off of GSAK's website? After I installed it I didn't have to do anything else but run it. It puts all of the info from the cache page on it minus any pictures.

You need 3rd party software to download the information into an iPod (you don't do it directly from GC.com). However, to get the maximum information from GC.com to your computer, you will need a Premium Membership. You could, in theory, transfer information from GC.com to your computer using copy-paste, and then download the information to your iPod, but this would be a pain.

WARNING!!!!! if you put 3rd party software on ANY iPod it will void your warranty.

OMG I was so excited to see this thread because I have an iPod 60. I downloaded GSAK, ran my pocket query, but when I go to run the macro I get the error message: "iPod not connected: (path c\notes not found)."

My iPod is connected. So I don't know what this means.

About a half hour ago, I enabled the "disk use" on my iPod itself because when I checked the "notes" on my iPod it said I needed to do that. But still - it's not working.

Help!! :unsure:

OMG I was so excited to see this thread because I have an iPod 60. I downloaded GSAK, ran my pocket query, but when I go to run the macro I get the error message: "iPod not connected: (path c\notes not found)."

About a half hour ago, I enabled the "disk use" on my iPod itself because when I checked the "notes" on my iPod it said I needed to do that. But still - it's not working.

Help!! :unsure:

I haven't actually done this with my Ipod yet but this is just my best guess at a solution. Make sure you have GSAK configured to the correct port that your Ipod is connected to. That sounds like it might be the problem.

Help!! :huh:

I haven't actually done this with my Ipod yet but this is just my best guess at a solution. Make sure you have GSAK configured to the correct port that your Ipod is connected to. That sounds like it might be the problem.

Thank for attempting to help me but I don't know how to check that the port my iPod is connected to and the port my GSAK is configured to is the same. FWIW, my iPod is on my c drive as is my GSAK.

*sigh*

Guess it's back to printing out the papers. :grin:

WARNING!!!!! if you put 3rd party software on ANY iPod it will void your warranty.

The third-party software doesn't go on the iPod. It's just an organize-and-export tool for your computer that can write cache information to your iPod's Notes section.

Well yea but I was just saying because it's possible. Have you heard about jailbreaking the iPod Touch?

I do paperless caching with an IPOD. I use a free program called CacheMagnet. Easy to understand and use. Initially set up a folder perhaps called Geocaches under Documents. Go to a cache and hit the GSX button to copy the cache data to Geocaches. Bring up Cachemagnet, open and import the file using waymark. The cache shows up in a single entry. Under devices highlight your IPOD device and it will copy through your IPOD cable to the IPOD. The entries show up under Extras then Notes. It shows both Names of caches and waypoints. You see the cache name, difficulty, terrain, cache type, co-ords, owner, everything you would see on the printed page. Under the waypoint heading there is another for Hints and another shows I think the last five logs.

Cachemagnet also under devices will load the cache co-ords to your GPS as well.

I use cachemagnet only to pickup a number of caches at one time to load to my devices, after I have found them I erase them from cachemagnet, delete them from my GPS and the next load from cachemagnet to the IPOD I do a complete overright which picks deletes everything that was and replaces it with the newer caches.

Its not as great as a PDA, you can't sort caches for example, but hey it didn't cost me a bundle, the software was free and I can listen to music while I cache.

Well yea but I was just saying because it's possible. Have you heard about jailbreaking the iPod Touch?

I have not... however, I did have a former roommate who 'unlocked' iPhones for a few hundred bucks apiece. Last I saw, he was led away by Mahwah PD for questioning and suspended from classes and housing indefinitely, pending investigation. Apparently colleges don't appreciate it when dodgy activities are traced back to their servers.

Help!! :ph34r:

Thank for attempting to help me but I don't know how to check that the port my iPod is connected to and the port my GSAK is configured to is the same. FWIW, my iPod is on my c drive as is my GSAK.

*sigh*

Guess it's back to printing out the papers. :)

this is actually an easy fix for you. when you plug your iPod in, open My Computer, your iPod should be listed as G:) iPod or something along those lines. Go into GSAK and set the drive letter to whatever the drive letter was in My Computer and it should work.