Upset about a complaint about my cache.

johnsquad

OK it's me, the idiot who allegedly disregards private property signs, chains, ramps etc. Those are nice pictures of your property and if I hadn't been there before I guess I would be convinced after seeing that. The thing is, we didn't pass through there. We didn't unhook or see any chains and we didn't go down the wheelchair ramp or between those buildings. That would be incredibly stupid. There are several ways to get back to that area and as i recall we went beside one of the cottages to the back. But it probably makes the owner feel better by painting this evil picture of us.

I find it very interesting that the owner didn't delete my log after I committed such a sin. Oh, wait. If the log was deleted people wouldn't be able to go find who it was a read the profile to make fun of us. I get it.

This is ridiculous. The mom got scared and upset, that made the owner upset and so they took it out on us. By posting pictures that show a possible route to the area and saying it is the only way back there, we look like quite the criminals. Too bad I don't live in that area so I can't just drive over and take pictures of the other open routes to show how we got there. But it wouldn't do any good if I did.

Look, I'm sorry we scared the mom. I'm sorry the cache is archived now. I'm really sorry we even looked for that cache because it seems like we walked into a trap. If you could see the description before it was changed you would see that it said nothing about private property, the approach, etc. And if you could see the area and realize the whole account of our criminal trespassing was fabricated I think it might make a difference to the naysayers. I don't know what caused this vendetta but I guess it doesn't matter. If people have an axe to grind it doesn't pay to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I love geocaching and even though this weird experience has put a nasty taste in my mouth we're not going to dwell on it anymore.

One more thing. Sorry for the lashing out and lashing back. I don't think the owner of this cache is a liar. I think they really believe what they are saying somehow. That makes it understandable that some people have rushed for the pitchforks and torches when they read that story.

Folks, we LIKE geocachers...I figure at this juncture, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here they are. This is where they came through. The yellow building on the right is the front building which is a vacation rental, then as you walk back this is what you see, and this is where they went. The picture of the "brush" are the blackberry bushes. Beyond those is where the park is...located on another road and completely open from that other road....

So there is potential on all sides of the story. Nothing short of a trial will solve this one now. Apartment complex and vacation rental spots are on my list of "don't place a cache there, but don't feel guilty about walking through either" type locations.

Would I cross the chain? Probably not, but I'd not think twice about the parking lot or the common grounds.

So, basically, we have two cachers (johnsquad and beachduo) who (very late in the thread) we are told are very closely related to each other and are very aggravated with one cacher who allegedly, right before one of the cacher's very eyes, trespassed on their property in a "foiled" attempt to find their cache.

One of these cachers is worried that other cachers might follow suit and the other related cacher makes vague threats worded in a way that might be construed to involve violence against future cachers seeking the cache.

I think under these circumstances, TPTB should archive this cache before this gets any uglier. Just my 2c

Hi,

I am not sure where I should be posting this, but I need some advice. I have a cache located near my home in a park and yesterday my dogs were going crazy barking at my neighbors house, but I couldn't see what they were barking at. Later there was a visit to my cache and then I received a call from my extremely upset neighbor.

These people that were trying to find my cache entered through the wrong direction and here is the story. They parked in my neighbors driveway, unlatched a chain that is marked "private, do not enter" walked over her wheelchair ramp, entered her backyard and then started to chop through a blackberry barrier that is a barrier between her backyard and the park. Mind you this is about a 30 foot distance that you would have to chop through dense blackberry bushes.

Now, not only was this a horribly scary incidence for her; to look out and have 3 guys standing in your backyard, but then I had to try to apologize up one side and down the other.

So, I have emailed that user. Mainly because when they marked my cache as found they stated what they had done and just said "whoops, oh well" This is not oops whatever. I am looking at having to disable my cache so that I can live in peace with my neighbor. I understand how she feels. But if this user would have read my cache hints, they would have known they were in the wrong place. I don't consider bushwacking 30 feet of blackberry bushes a 1/1 terrain. Also, to blatantly unhook a privacy chain....rrrrr

So what can I do? Can I report them....I can't even find where I can email geocaching to let them know what happened. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Johnsquad

As far as I am conserned this clown should be blocked from the dang site! He is the type that ruins things for all of us and it sure seems that he is a bit arrogant. This guys name should be given and he should be avoided.

That is just my opinion. I have nothing but contempt for this clown. I feel for you

So, basically, we have two cachers (johnsquad and beachduo) who (very late in the thread) we are told are very closely related to each other and are very aggravated with one cacher who allegedly, right before one of the cacher's very eyes, trespassed on their property in a "foiled" attempt to find their cache.

One of these cachers is worried that other cachers might follow suit and the other related cacher makes vague threats worded in a way that might be construed to involve violence against future cachers seeking the cache.

I think under these circumstances, TPTB should archive this cache before this gets any uglier. Just my 2c

Hi Cat. I think you missed the post where the cache owner has already archived the cache, according to the cache page she is relocating it.

Candum...You didn't watch where you were going and you aren't seeming to want to read my cache listing either...go look at my archived cache page right now, nothing was deleted. I just added a few more clues and not to go on private property. And no, that was not in there before because it was a given (so I had thought).

Candum, you were in the wrong...no matter how you would have went in there from the pull off (Which is my Moms driveway) you would have been on private property. You were in the wrong and that is all I told you when I emailed you. I didn't like the whoops oh well and you sure didn't say anything back. I was not going to delete your post...why...well I don't really think it is right to delete anyone's posts. I would not want mine deleted. Ultimately you did find the cache.

But I was definitely in the wrong too! I should have never brought this to a forum and for 2 huge reasons. Mainly that I felt I had to dump my cache and I didn't do anything wrong. Many cachers found my cache to be very enjoyable, very easy and had absolutely no problem except for all the dogs barking. But that too, was listed on the page.

I am a nice person, I like to meet other cachers and that is why I had a cache close by in a cute little quiet park. I am not out trying to bash anyone and I don't deserve to be bashed back. Neither does my Mom. You scared the crap out of her for very obvious reasons.

I have tried to contact a couple geocaching publishers in hope that they will lock this forum. It has gotten so rude and I feel very bad about that. I don't mean to have any hard feelings for anyone, especially any cachers that I may run into one of these days. You can break my "Lake Marie" cache, but you can't break me, we will keep on cachin' and one of these days I will find a nice little hideout for the "tribute to lake marie cache". :mad:

Edited by johnsquad

:mad: Groan.....why is it SO hard for me to let this go?

Here are two quotes from candum:

We walked to the back between two of the cottages for rent. Now we were behind one of the cottages next to a bunch of blackberries about 45 feet from the cache.

OK it's me, the idiot who allegedly disregards private property signs, chains, ramps etc. Those are nice pictures of your property and if I hadn't been there before I guess I would be convinced after seeing that. The thing is, we didn't pass through there. We didn't unhook or see any chains and we didn't go down the wheelchair ramp or between those buildings. That would be incredibly stupid. There are several ways to get back to that area and as i recall we went beside one of the cottages to the back. But it probably makes the owner feel better by painting this evil picture of us.

If you could see the description before it was changed you would see that it said nothing about private property, the approach, etc.

So, which is it? Is it the first quote that you went between two of the cottages? Or the second where you went beside one of the cottages?

The ONLY rental on this property is the one located by the hwy in the front, and yes, it has a sign. This place does not look like a hotel or anything.

The so called "cottage" you stated you were behind is my 27 foot by 47 foot home......far from a cottage...well, at least I think it is bigger. :mad:

And maybe why the description about the cache did not mention anything about private property is because it is not on private property, nor do you have to go through private property to get there! You were just in the wrong place, that's all.

I would like to make peace with you. This was certainly not a set up or a trap....how ridiculous that sounds! You think I have been laying in wait for two years for someone to come across my property to get to a cache located off of another street in the park? I can't even get to that park from here!!

Shall we make peace?

I'll stand by my earlier post on this thread (#17). The cache description could have been clearer as to how to approach this cache. Based on all of the information presented thus far it really does seem that the cacher in question went beyond what a reasonable cacher would or should do when hunting a cache. I have hunted many caches hidden in neighborhood parks and trails and I would never consider entering or crossing private property to get to the cache unless the cache page clearly directed me to do so.

I have tried to contact a couple geocaching publishers in hope that they will lock this forum. It has gotten so rude and I feel very bad about that. I don't mean to have any hard feelings for anyone, especially any cachers that I may run into one of these days. You can break my "Lake Marie" cache, but you can't break me, we will keep on cachin' and one of these days I will find a nice little hideout for the "tribute to lake marie cache". :mad:

Report your own post (the button is the fourth from the left at the bottom of your post) and the thread will be locked when a moderator sees it. This really has gone on long enough. I hope they don't lock the forum! :mad:

Edited by Neos2

I'll stand by my earlier post on this thread (#17). The cache description could have been clearer as to how to approach this cache. Based on all of the information presented thus far it really does seem that the cacher in question went beyond what a reasonable cacher would or should do when hunting a cache. I have hunted many caches hidden in neighborhood parks and trails and I would never consider entering or crossing private property to get to the cache unless the cache page clearly directed me to do so.

I agree, if there is the slightest doubt, leave and find out before you return.

I found a cache once that required pulling down a driveway, paking in front of a house and walking down a long grass lane to a cemetary you couldn't see until you reached it.

I left when I saw the drive and e-mailed the hider for verification before I returned and found it.

Great job posting pictures in the forums, beachduo! I know a lot of "seasoned" cachers who get flustered trying to get pictures to appear in the threads!

Which means what? I had no problem at all posting pictures here when I started because this is not the first Forum I've frequented, after ten years on the net you do learn a few things you can carry from one site to the next.

:mad:UMM Let me clarify. What I meant to say is:

Great job posting pictures in the forums, beachduo! I know a lot of "seasoned" cachers who get flustered trying to get pictures to appear in the threads!

I hope that helps the confusion.

Which means what? I had no problem at all posting pictures here when I started because this is not the first Forum I've frequented, after ten years on the net you do learn a few things you can carry from one site to the next.

No it doesn't, what are you trying to imply?

Thanks for the complement! I really appreciate it. I am very active on another forum, and this one was quite a bit different for posting pics, but the little button up there made it easy. :mad: I hope to actually start geocaching this spring. I joined some time ago...but we just haven't gotten "out there" yet. Need to get a gps as well.

Johnsquad, you and I sound like we have a lot in common. Neither one of us wants to back down and admit being wrong. We'd probably be friends if we lived closer together. But we'd argue about this forever! Agree to disagree... Sorry for my unkind words... we both have vented at each other.

I'm coming late to the party, but fwiw - what keystone said. What you've hidden is what we call a 'fenceline' cache, really sort of a n00b thing to do. They walk to some nearby park, scan the whole thing, walk all the way to the back to the fence between the park and the neighbors, and stick a cache there, 10 feet from somebody's back yard. Don't do that.

Johnsquad, you and I sound like we have a lot in common. Neither one of us wants to back down and admit being wrong. We'd probably be friends if we lived closer together. But we'd argue about this forever! Agree to disagree... Sorry for my unkind words... we both have vented at each other.

Candum- Okay, I will go with the agree to disagree. Thank you for the apology, I apologize too, I didn't mean for this whole forum to go the way that it did. I never would have thought that this would go on and in such a direction..My intention was never to attack you personally.

Okay, I am hitting the report button and hopefully this will be locked shortly!!!

A little late, but maybe this will add a bit to the angst...errr, topic! lol

We once went after a cache hidden in a park where we just couldn't find the entrance. We looked all about, coming within 200' of the cache, but no entrance to be found? FINALLY, we saw a homeowner (as this park seemed encompassed by homes) working on his property...and asked as to where to get into the park?? The homeowner, who said he'd lived there for years) had no idea, but said we could park in the cul-de-sac and enter via his property (the cache was almost directly behind his house).

We did this, and upon returning, the homeowner asked if we were successful and went on to ask about our passion. After almost an hour of talk, we ended up with a new cacher and the find. this wouldn't have happened had it not been for the lost entrance, but it would have been nice had some parking inof been given so we didn't waste gas and look suspicious scouring the area!