Deaf Geocacher

deafnut

Folks,

Deafhunt is a really, really nice young man who doesn't mean any harm. He is deaf, has been deaf since birth as far as I know, and has no problem with who he is.

Cut him some slack!

He's a good kid!

Naomi :rolleyes:

Wasn't giving him slack... Was making fun of myself :) Gotta do that every now and then

Any ugly, overweight cachers in the Northwest besides me? :rolleyes:

If only I was as skinny as you, but glad I'n not as ugly, I can always go on a diet. :D

Folks,

Deafhunt is a really, really nice young man who doesn't mean any harm. He is deaf, has been deaf since birth as far as I know, and has no problem with who he is.

Cut him some slack!

He's a good kid!

Naomi :)

He asked about DEAF cahcers not BLIND cachers. :D

Yes, there are other deaf cachers out there.

Some of you obviously don't understand most deaf people are a subculture onto their own. The subculture can best be described the same way Queen Anne Hill is a subculture onto its own.

Fwiw, It's a legitimate question to try to hang out with people you are most comfortable with.

Judging by your avatar, you're too darn handsome to fit in with my subculture :rolleyes:

Some of you obviously don't understand most deaf people are a subculture onto their own. The subculture can best be described the same way Queen Anne Hill is a subculture onto its own.

Fwiw, It's a legitimate question to try to hang out with people you are most comfortable with.

Judging by your avatar, you're too darn handsome to fit in with my subculture :D

You obviously have not met TotemLake in person.

:):D:rolleyes:

Judging by your avatar, you're too darn handsome to fit in with my subculture :)

Umm I think you need to get out more often.

:D:rolleyes:

Edited by TotemLake

Any ugly, overweight cachers in the Northwest besides me? :lol:

I'm sure there are, but they don't let that define who they are or how they cache. Well maybe not doing some of the steeper trails or the like.

Sure we do.

It just takes us longer.

For what it's worth, I just learned that a long-time cacher in my area is deaf. It doesn't impact him as a cacher in anyway, so why should I have known sooner?

Any red-haired lefties out there? (Or those who used to be red-haired?)

I was in a class in 3rd and 4th grade that had dead students (and an interpreter) and I dated one of them and still know sign language today because of it. We did break up eventually but I put out a cache in sign language using video... it was fun and I would love to cache with some of my deaf friends. Make an 'L' and put your thumb in your ear and then point the pointer finger forward and that is my name in sign language.

I am glad you are here deafhunt... I type much better than I sign.

I know you all tried it...

I was in a class in 3rd and 4th grade that had dead deaf students (and an interpreter) and I dated one of them and still know sign language today because of it. We did break up eventually but I put out a cache in sign language using video... it was fun and I would love to cache with some of my deaf friends. Make an 'L' and put your thumb in your ear and then point the pointer finger forward and that is my name in sign language.

Fixed. The other word was just a bit too morbid. :D

I do know of one local prolific cacher who is deaf. Probably the same person alluded to earlier. I will email that person and let that person know of your post. My wife is a sign language interpreter. I'll ask her if she knows of others. I understand your question. Being deaf is not like being thick or thin or blond or red head, but more about communication and community. SKSK

I think you are missing the point some of us are trying to make.

Sure, many who are deaf feel a strong sense of community, but they are hardly the only group that does so. In fact, many of us who geocache also feel a strong sense of community as well. We can choose to focus on our differences, or we can focus on what we have in common instead.

Personally I'd rather make our community stronger, rather than look for ways to fragment it into smaller cliques.

Cultural differences aside, there is no excuse to stamp on his civil right to ask if there is anybody like him to be able to hang with.

I agree. I was kind of shocked by some of the reactions here, especially given the fact that OP is apparently a kid, making an innocent inquiry. I also think some of the responses betray an ignorance of deaf culture. Saying that there is a geocaching culture too, so deaf culture should be ignored, may be a pretty offensive statement to some people. Here's some brief sensitivity training.

I agree. I was kind of shocked by some of the reactions here, especially given the fact that OP is apparently a kid, making an innocent inquiry. I also think some of the responses betray an ignorance of deaf culture. Saying that there is a geocaching culture too, so deaf culture should be ignored, may be a pretty offensive statement to some people. Here's some brief sensitivity training.

Very kind of you to place yourself in a position of instructing me. I deeply appreciate it.

There's some history here that some of you might not be aware of if you do not read all of the geocaching.com forums. This is not deafhunt's first innocent inquiry.

Again, I'd rather focus on ways we can all strengthen our community through our shared interests, not find reasons to exclude one another.

I was in a class in 3rd and 4th grade that had dead students (and an interpreter) and I dated one of them and still know sign language today because of it. We did break up eventually but I put out a cache in sign language using video... it was fun and I would love to cache with some of my deaf friends. Make an 'L' and put your thumb in your ear and then point the pointer finger forward and that is my name in sign language.

Why would dead students need an interpreter :unsure: ?

Edited by ArgusTuft

Very kind of you to place yourself in a position of instructing me. I deeply appreciate it.

There's some history here that some of you might not be aware of if you do not read all of the geocaching.com forums. This is not deafhunt's first innocent inquiry.

Again, I'd rather focus on ways we can all strengthen our community through our shared interests, not find reasons to exclude one another.

I'm very aware of the history. First or many, there is no excuse for the behavior seen in this thread on a polite inquiry. Don't set your standards of conformity on someone else if you don't appreciate the same thing being done to you. FWIW, the people that have a problem with his inquiry could have just as easily ignored it. So what it looks like instead is a gang up on a kid.

Edited by TotemLake

Yes some of it was friendly banter, but some of it was an admonishment for even asking.

I can't say anymore without stepping on a soapbox. Read the link Jeff provided. It's a valuable insight. Then do a Google on Deaf Communities.

Deafhunt's inquiry was polite, to the point and not abrasive. He didn't deserve the admonisments regardless of his "history."

Frankly, if I had been the recipient of some of those responses, I probably would have been banned with my response.

Edited by TotemLake

Hmm people are different from each other? I'm shocked. If I had to treat someone different based on their religion, color, disability, etc I think I'd rather become a hermit.

And I didn't even say anything about you assuming we all didn't like girls :unsure:

Yes we are a homogenous group.

That's just it. They don't consider it a disability but they are taught early on to seek out each other. This is what they do to get together... to network as a group. It isn't at all like you and I as strangers can just meet on the street and say howdy. He didn't ask to be treated differently. He just asked if there were others like him presumably so they can get together and share experiences.

Now let's extend your statment just a little further. Just because you may not agree with the religion, do you show disrespect? Do you ask a quadraplegic to jump up and seriously mean it? I don't think you would. To ask a Deaf person to treat his world the same way a hearing person does is simply disrespectful of their capabilities. By default, they have to treat their world differently.

Edited by TotemLake

Seriously though, I try not to make assumptions about individuals, or groups of individuals, that I do not know.

But I do not think that people that geocache are any more homogenous than people that happen to be deaf. I would bet there are many deaf people that consider it a disability and I know that people that geocache are not all the same. They're big, small, white, brown, male, female, old, young, christian, muslim, goth, nudists, Magellanists, Garminists, disabled, and not.

Steps down off soap box, crouches in corner, and awaits the flames....

The only thing that I see, is that the OP posted an honest question, and the thread went awry. He hasn't even posted anything since 18 posts ago, out of the 34 total here. And even then, he seemed in a defensive stature. Pretty sad as I see it. This thread started as a simple honest question.

Let me first say if I did affended, I appologize. IT WAS NOT intended.

We all can learn from deafhunt. Skarr, our little cacher has been taught ASL since he was 6months. It has been a wounderful expierience for the whole family. We continue to work on his vocabulary still.

"Signning Time" PBS Ch 9 Sun 0730

Edited by ProjectFred325

Nobody can teach you anything if you're not interested in learning; ignore it at your pleasure. My link was for those who perhaps did not have an understanding of deaf culture (I did not until a couple of years ago), and were interested in learning. There is a lot there, including some very heated philosophical debates about the nature of deafness.

In a previous post, you said:

We can choose to focus on our differences, or we can focus on what we have in common instead. Personally I'd rather make our community stronger, rather than look for ways to fragment it into smaller cliques.

You not only suggest a false choice (we can focus on the ways we are the same, or the ways we are different, but not both?), but also an intention on the part of the OP ("look for ways to fragment [our community] into smaller cliques") that doesn't seem fair in light of his simple inquiry. It seems pretty natural to me for a young adult to want to reach out to other people like him, regardless of how he chooses to define what "like him" means. If there was some more-sinister motive for the post, it wasn't apparent.