Colorado 300 or 400t ?

teamdw

I think i have made up my mine on the Garmin Colorado for my fist GPS unit, but I am not sure what is the better way to go. Should I pick up the 400t with topo or the 300 without and buy the map cd's. That way i can use the map cds on my computer and for other gps units? I also plan on picking up City Nav for the Colorado. Thanks for your help and input. :laughing:

You've already understood the difference. Now only you can tell what's important to you.

But in general, having maps on the PC too is an advantage, although usually more expensive.

I understand the trade offs between DVD maps vs. pre-installed maps assuming that the 400t pre-installed maps are exactly the same as Topo 2008, but I still have some questions:

1) Is there a difference in the 300 vs. 400t hardware? From what I understand there is more base memory in the 400t but I haven't heard an answer on exactly how much. Garmin's web site claims 384M for the 300, it is not specific for the 400t.

2) Assuming that the answer to 1 is "yes" then how much "user available memory" is left over once you take out space for the pre-installed maps on the 400t? I've seen numbers like 256MB on the REI site. How does that compare to the 300 "user available memory"? Is that number 384M or is it less based on space taken up by other software/data that Garmin pre-installs?

GO$Rs

Can the current 400t owners tell us exactly what the internal capacity is for the 400t? I need to decide if it is worth spending the extra money for the unit if the only difference is the internal maps. I'm assuming the capacity is larger: 3GB or more, but Garmin is indefinite. One review site gives a large capacity, but I see nothing official.

In any case I may wait to see if Garmin will be releasing their promised mac mapping software soon. The City Navigator 2008 versions seem to be the ones they are talking about right now. Nothing on US Topo 2008 was mentioned. This makes the 400t more attractive.

Parsa

Can the current 400t owners tell us exactly what the internal capacity is for the 400t? I need to decide if it is worth spending the extra money for the unit if the only difference is the internal maps. I'm assuming the capacity is larger: 3GB or more, but Garmin is indefinite. One review site gives a large capacity, but I see nothing official.

In any case I may wait to see if Garmin will be releasing their promised mac mapping software soon. The City Navigator 2008 versions seem to be the ones they are talking about right now. Nothing on US Topo 2008 was mentioned. This makes the 400t more attractive.

Parsa

Isn't the mac software out already in beta, its called Bobcat.

Parsa

Isn't the mac software out already in beta, its called Bobcat.

As is discussed in the Bobcat thread, you still have to make the maps on a PC. Then you have to use a Windows App called MapConverter to create a Mac compatible file. Then you have to load it to your Mac and use the Garmin MapInstall software to put maps on your Garmin. Bobcat then will let you manipulate waypoints, geocache files, routes, etc. and load them onto your GPS. I could already install years ago with GpsBabel. Bobcat evidently seems to let you see the waypoints plotted on the maps you have stored in your Mac. They are improving and evidently will release MapSource CityNavigator software soon.

Parsa

Can the current 400t owners tell us exactly what the internal capacity is for the 400t?

From this post by IndyJpr

diskprop.png

Thanks, but I don't understand why it says "Removable Disk" since that's the internal storage. Is that in reference to the GPS being connected to the computer as a sort of removable storage device?

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

Does Garmin provide a way to upgrade the built in maps in the 400 series ?

For non NA resident, the only choice is the 300. Looks like the base map is now a world base map.

Personnaly I wonder why Garmin didn't standardize on just this 300 unit and just provide the US maps on DVD as a bundle instead of a dedicated GPS.

Edited by Suscrofa

Personally I wonder why Garmin didn't standardize on just this 300 unit and just provide the US maps on DVD as a bundle instead of a dedicated GPS.

I think it's a cost / convenience / customer service thing. By having the maps preinstalled they save the cost of a DVD and avoid all those customer service calls about installing maps. This is the way they sell their automotive units now too.

The 300 would seem to be the way to go as there doesn't seem to be any performance hit in having the maps on the SD card versus in the internal memory.

Ask yourself one question. Do you really need the entire US TOPO2008 loaded on your unit? I am sure that in some cases, extreme travellers may find this handy, but come on. REALLY?

Here's something to consider, the post in another thread has mentioned that it takes a 400t a good 40 seconds to start up because of loading all those maps. It would make sense then that it would start up quicker if it didn't have all the TOPO2008 maps to load every time, most of which are seldom needed anyway for normal use. It seems that you can load all of the maps of your home stomping grounds, onto the 300 (I have CN2008, TOPO2008, Inland Lks, and National Park Topo loaded for Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming = 358MB all fit on the 300 WITHOUT AN SD CARD) plus have the maps on your computer for you to look at as an aid.

The convenience and overall "cool factor" of having all of the TOPO2008 maps may be worth it for some, but for me, the benefits are minimal compared to the lower price of the 300 and long term benefits to having ALL the maps. If I go on vacation to somewhere outside of my three state stomping grounds, I'll just load different maps. Also, when they come out (fingers crossed) with a DEM based Topo series based on 30m DEM, or maybe even a 1/3rd Arc Second DEM, you will then potentially have two topo sets, one your stuck with (loading every time you start up = 40 seconds) and one you use.

Look, everything in the GPS world is based on what YOUR needs are. Evaluate, search yourself. The answer will be as plain as the nose on your face. :drama:

Ask yourself one question. Do you really need the entire US TOPO2008 loaded on your unit? I am sure that in some cases, extreme travellers may find this handy, but come on. REALLY?

Here's something to consider, the post in another thread has mentioned that it takes a 400t a good 40 seconds to start up because of loading all those maps. It would make sense then that it would start up quicker if it didn't have all the TOPO2008 maps to load every time, most of which are seldom needed anyway for normal use. It seems that you can load all of the maps of your home stomping grounds, onto the 300 (I have CN2008, TOPO2008, Inland Lks, and National Park Topo loaded for Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming = 358MB all fit on the 300 WITHOUT AN SD CARD) plus have the maps on your computer for you to look at as an aid.

The convenience and overall "cool factor" of having all of the TOPO2008 maps may be worth it for some, but for me, the benefits are minimal compared to the lower price of the 300 and long term benefits to having ALL the maps. If I go on vacation to somewhere outside of my three state stomping grounds, I'll just load different maps. Also, when they come out (fingers crossed) with a DEM based Topo series based on 30m DEM, or maybe even a 1/3rd Arc Second DEM, you will then potentially have two topo sets, one your stuck with (loading every time you start up = 40 seconds) and one you use.

Look, everything in the GPS world is based on what YOUR needs are. Evaluate, search yourself. The answer will be as plain as the nose on your face. :drama:

Could you just delete the preloaded map on the 400t and just us a smaller regin and still have 3. what ever gig.

Just for clarification, the only difference between the 300 and 400T is the amount of internal memory and the pre-loaded topo maps correct? Since I already own Topo 2008, CityNT 2008 and a 4GB transflash card there really is no reason for me to buy the 400T at the added cost over the 300 right??

Other than that both units are the same in functionality and hardware correct? That's the only difference I can see from comparing on Garmin's website. So I'm guessing I can buy the 300 and save some money?

Just for clarification, the only difference between the 300 and 400T is the amount of internal memory and the pre-loaded topo maps correct? Since I already own Topo 2008, CityNT 2008 and a 4GB transflash card there really is no reason for me to buy the 400T at the added cost over the 300 right??

Other than that both units are the same in functionality and hardware correct? That's the only difference I can see from comparing on Garmin's website. So I'm guessing I can buy the 300 and save some money?

You are correct on all counts. I have a 60Cx, Topo 2008 and CN. I ordered a 300 from gpsnow.com for $440 delivered to my door. Gpsnow.com has the 300's in stock. Mine was shipped yesterday and I am due to receive it on Wednesday.

Thanks to GPS TRACKLOG for the heads-up on the availability of the 300's at gpsnow.

I purchased a 60C from gpsnow about 4 years ago, and I was satisfied with their service.

Edited by Barrikady

You are correct on all counts. I have a 60Cx, Topo 2008 and CN. I ordered a 300 from gpsnow.com for $440 delivered to my door. gpsnow.com has the 300's in stock. Mine was shipped yesterday and is due on Wednesday

Thanks for the info. I guess the only real advantage for getting the 400T would be allowing me to use the 4GB flash card to only load CityNT 2008 and just have that one mapset on the card leaving more memory free for other stuff. Either way I'm still leaning towards the 300 :drama: I don't think I'd actually use all the extra space as I don't use the POI stuff etc...

If I buy the 300 and Topo 2008, will the display show the shaded relief?

If so yogazoo's arguement to me is a no brainer.

For most people, loading only their stomping grounds should speed up the startup time.

Is it confirmed that the slow startup times ARE because of the maps being loaded, or is this only speculation?

Also, I've created some of my own maps from 30m DEM files. Will THEY show shaded relief?

If I buy the 300 and Topo 2008, will the display show the shaded relief?

If so yogazoo's arguement to me is a no brainer.

For most people, loading only their stomping grounds should speed up the startup time.

Is it confirmed that the slow startup times ARE because of the maps being loaded, or is this only speculation?

Also, I've created some of my own maps from 30m DEM files. Will THEY show shaded relief?

Addressing the question of whether or not the startup time is due to the maps loading. The thread states that a "loading map" dialogue is displayed during most of the startup. Therefore I believe the answer is yes unless the post is in error. Maybe someone could verify this.

Addressing the question of whether or not the startup time is due to the maps loading. The thread states that a "loading map" dialogue is displayed during most of the startup. Therefore I believe the answer is yes unless the post is in error. Maybe someone could verify this.

Here's how it breaks down:

Hit power button to first 400t mini-banner: 15 sec (15 sec)

400t mini-banner to loading waypoints mini-banner: 4 sec (19 sec)

loading waypoints mini-banner to maps loading mini-banner: 4 sec (23 sec)

loading maps mini-banner to map screen: 13 sec (36 sec)

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

And, to answer an earlier-posed question:

No, de-selecting mapsets (e.g. CN2008, and/or the built-in Topo2008) does not seem to have an (at least, significant) effect on startup time. Now, not HAVING them there... that would probably reduce the startup time. ;-) Seems it crunches them, at startup, whether enabled, or not...

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm still a bit confused.... I've read (or maybe misread!) that there is a difference between the pre-installed Topo2008 maps on the 400t and the separately sold 2008 Topo Maps DVD... Namely with respect to inclusion of DEM data. Is this the case, or am I truly confused...

And more to the point, if this is the case, what does that mean? In terms of data detail, what this looks like on the Colorado? Would a 300 + Garmin's Topo 2008 be EXACTLY the same as the 400t, or is there a difference in terms of DEM Data?

GO$Rs

And, to answer an earlier-posed question:

No, de-selecting mapsets (e.g. CN2008, and/or the built-in Topo2008) does not seem to have an (at least, significant) effect on startup time. Now, not HAVING them there... that would probably reduce the startup time. ;-) Seems it crunches them, at startup, whether enabled, or not...

The images are saved on the Colorado as a file called [Drive]:\Garmin\gmapprom.img . I simply renamed the file to gmapprom.xxx , started the Colorado and it does indeed remove the last 13 seconds of the init time.

This file can be easily removed/replaced which I'm guessing would allow you to upgrade, remove, etc.

Now if you could just view it in mapsource and select which pieces you wanted on the GPS!

GO$Rs

For non NA resident, the only choice is the 300. Looks like the base map is now a world base map.

Personnaly I wonder why Garmin didn't standardize on just this 300 unit and just provide the US maps on DVD as a bundle instead of a dedicated GPS.

Its not just outside of NA. If you are outside of the US, like those of us in Canada, the 300 is the only to go. Once again, Garmin treats the world as if only the US exists. I agree, why would they not create one good unit and then bundle maps. That way they could have sold a US Topo bundle, a Canada Topo bundle, a European bundle, Australian bundle etc. The way they chose tells the rest of us that they consider anybody outside the US to be second class.

JD

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm still a bit confused.... I've read (or maybe misread!) that there is a difference between the pre-installed Topo2008 maps on the 400t and the separately sold 2008 Topo Maps DVD... Namely with respect to inclusion of DEM data. Is this the case, or am I truly confused...

And more to the point, if this is the case, what does that mean? In terms of data detail, what this looks like on the Colorado? Would a 300 + Garmin's Topo 2008 be EXACTLY the same as the 400t, or is there a difference in terms of DEM Data?

Can anyone comment on the specific difference between the Garmin Topo 2008 (on a 300) and the 400t. Is there a difference w.r.t. DEM data and how that functions. Ppppplease..... :-)

Can anyone comment on the specific difference between the Garmin Topo 2008 (on a 300) and the 400t. Is there a difference w.r.t. DEM data and how that functions. Ppppplease..... :-)

Just talked to Garmin tech support. He said that the topo 2008 maps do not render 3D views on the 300. Can't confirm from personal experience. Hope this helps.

Just talked to Garmin tech support. He said that the topo 2008 maps do not render 3D views on the 300. Can't confirm from personal experience. Hope this helps.

wow.. this could be BIG news if you were going to get a 300..

wow.. this could be BIG news if you were going to get a 300..

This would be wrong as I have a Colorado 300 with TOPO2008 maps loaded on an SD and I DO have 3D views.

YES - The Colorado 300 shows 3D views with TOPO2008 DVD software loaded.

You talked to Garmin Tech Support? Well I have a 300 and I tell you YES you can get 3D views with loaded TOPO2008 DVD software. Its even advertised that way.

Taken from the REI website under the Garmin 300 specs, "Enjoy vibrant 3D ''walk the trail'' maps with Topo 2008 mapping software, sold separately"

You talked to Garmin Tech Support? Well I have a 300 and I tell you YES you can get 3D views with loaded TOPO2008 DVD software. Its even advertised that way.

Taken from the REI website under the Garmin 300 specs, "Enjoy vibrant 3D ''walk the trail'' maps with Topo 2008 mapping software, sold separately"

Several folks had asked me about it so I called Garmin tech and that's what the guy told me. I pressed him and he told me he had "just been to classes on it" - acting kind of miffed. Just shows to go ya that getting the wrong tech support guy can sometimes get you bad info. Sorry. Glad to hear the 3D is available on the 300.

Are 3D views the only feature based on DEM data? And if so, is it now safe to assume that the 300 + 2800 Topo maps == 400T (minus the extra internal memory)?

Its not just outside of NA. If you are outside of the US, like those of us in Canada, the 300 is the only to go. Once again, Garmin treats the world as if only the US exists. I agree, why would they not create one good unit and then bundle maps. That way they could have sold a US Topo bundle, a Canada Topo bundle, a European bundle, Australian bundle etc. The way they chose tells the rest of us that they consider anybody outside the US to be second class.

JD

This begs the question... Is the 400 series non-upgradeable w.r.t. topo maps... When 2009 comes out, are you SOL?

You are talking about maps now, right?

The general meaning of software is programs, telling the CPU what to do. They are often referred to as firrmware in that case. Topo or CN is a database, describing streets and topography, more commonly known as map data.

The pre-installed maps are in the file GMAPPROM.IMG. Just delete that (make a copy first!!!) and it's gone.

When 2009 comes out, are you SOL?

Yes

That's not true. The map file on a Colorado 400t is called gmaprom.img, located in e:\garmin. Presumably this file contains the DEM, World Base Map and the Topo 2008 for the US. It is about 2.7GB in size. If you don't want any maps on your Colorado 400t you can change the name (I archived mine on my PC first!). Similarly, Garmin could provide an upgrade to Topo 2009 by selling a new gmaprom.img which is then copied over to the Colorado replacing the original file and map set.

My biggest complaint with the Colorado 400t is that you can't break the map image up. At a minimum it would nice to have the DEM and World Base Map broken out (i.e. like a 300) so you could remove the Topo maps. I would still like to have some control over how much Topo map data is loaded as well -- loading these big map files takes about 15 seconds during system startup which adds to an already long start up time (around 40sec total w/o geocache data loaded).

GO$Rs

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread here, but I've been contemplating the difference between getting the 300 + topo 2008 or getting the 400t.

I do have a question for 300 owners: Is there enough internal memory to put the full topo2008 file on the unit without buying a SD card?

Granted you can get a 4GB SD card for about $12 on ebay but I'm just trying to get all my facts straight before deciding which to get.

Thanks

There are a couple of considerations here:

1) There is not enough internal memory on a 300 to load the entire Topo 2008

2) You cannot put the entire Topo2008 DVD on an SD card because of a map segment limit, although you can get almost the entire continental US on the SD card. The Colorado is limited to 4k-5k segments and Topo 2008 DVD has 6600 segments.

Details here:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Gener...nformation#toc6

GO$Rs

hmm, ok so if I bought the 300 and I have topo 2008 on DVD, does that mean I could load the entire topo for several states onto the 300 and it would be essentially just as good as the 400t for those states?

If the 300 can load 4000 segments and the whole USA takes up 6600 segments, does that mean I can load up about 2/3 of the country onto the thing?

Also, that tutorial you linked to talks about how to merge topo segments into fewer larger files, but doesn't work for 2008 apparently. Can I assume that currently there simply is no way to get the whole USA on to the 300?

I only ask because I intend to get a Colorado off ebay and lately all the auctions top off at about $380 give or take $10. The 300's go for $50 less or so.

Thanks

Yes.

Yes. Most of the continental US from what I remember.

Yes.

What about the memory?

The 300 has very very little memory from what it looks like. So you'd have to add one of those $10 SDHD cards to it. Not a problem, but how easy is the memory management of the Colorado? Does it just "merge" the onboard memory with the SD memory from the card or do you have to specify to store info on the card and know where it exists in order to access it.

My HP iPaq 111 PDA has a 8gb SDHD card in it, and I know sometimes it can be tricky finding stuff but like from Word you can save things "on the card" and when you go to open a file it will show you stuff on the device as well as stuff stored on the card. It depends on the app I guess. I was just wondering how "adding RAM" to the Colorado affected it.

Leaning toward 300 if RAM management is transparent.

Thanks.

A 4 gig Sd will contain all of your data, I have, all Usa, S. states Topo, Caraibean topo, Mexico, 400 waypoints, 100 + tracks, loooots of poi's on my Sd and still about 1.7 gig left.

Sd and internal memory work flawless together, no problem.

If you pass the limit of mapsegments, you can still put maps on the Sd or gps by renaming one or the other, to use the other map insert the sd in a pda, or a computer of course and rename your current GMAPSUPP.IMG to GMAPSUPP1IMG, GMAPSUPP2IMG you rename as GMAPSUPP.IMG, this works for me a long time now.

The reason I have it on Sd is, in case of a crash while on a trip, you will lose 'only' your traveldata, but all other data is save.

Edited by splashy