Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

Next HOTM will be 2/16. Location TBD.

Moved to Sunday 2/17... Location TBD

This is the last time it gets moved. I can't go backwards as I've already committed the free days to other things. About the only thing consistant is the location has yet to be determined.

Saturday 2/23 is the final date. I am planning a snowshoe hike to justify these snowshoes.

You hate me don't you? :D Somehow somewhere I pissed you off... My only consolation, I'll be on a cruise ship somewhere between Belize and Honduras.

Got any TB's that need to head south (where it's warm?)

Poor, poor Robinego. The previous date, she was gonna be snowshoeing at Revelstoke in Canada. This one, she'll be on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. I feel SO sorry for her.... :D

Gee Robinego... I almost feel sorry for you. :D You get to hike and cache more often than I do, AND you get to go on a cruise to the Caribbean. Closest cruise I ever went on was the Jungle Book cruise at Disneyland.

Btw, guilt trips only work with me when from my wife; and just barely at that...

:D

Edited by TotemLake

Gee Robinego... I almost feel sorry for you. :D You get to hike and cache more often than I do, AND you get to go on a cruise to the Caribbean. Closest cruise I ever went on was the Jungle Book cruise at Disneyland.

Btw, guilt trips only work with me when from my wife; and just barely at that...

:D

The only cruise I was on, was via the USS Carl Vinson in 89-90 :D , just doesn't seem to have the "fun" factor as the Jungle Book Cruise :D .

I've been wanting to snowshoe on the Peninsula for a full year now. The last attempt just put us in knee deep snow in places. This time, I'm aiming for Lucky Koi's 100th Hide. A five mile round trip hike. Scheduled date 2/23 at 9AM. Five miles will make for a long day so make sure you pack a way to make a hot drink and have a good lunch. If you don't have a stove, you're welcome to use mine.

Edited by TotemLake

I've been wanting to snowshoe on the Peninsula for a full year now. The last attempt just put us in knee deep snow in places. This time, I'm aiming for Lucky Koi's 100th Hide. A five mile round trip hike. Scheduled date 2/23 at 9AM. Five miles will make for a long day so make sure you pack a way to make a hot drink and have a good lunch. If you don't have a stove, you're welcome to use mine.

Let's see...<flipping through her calendar....> the 23rd...hmmm... Gee, would you look at that? It appears that I'm scheduled for deck chair #72 (the one between the pool and bar) on the Lido deck... Nope, don't think I can reschedule so you may have to go without me... :ph34r:

Let's see...<flipping through her calendar....> the 23rd...hmmm... Gee, would you look at that? It appears that I'm scheduled for deck chair #72 (the one between the pool and bar) on the Lido deck... Nope, don't think I can reschedule so you may have to go without me... :ph34r:

:(:P:)

Have fun on your cruise!

Let's see...<flipping through her calendar....> the 23rd...hmmm... Gee, would you look at that? It appears that I'm scheduled for deck chair #72 (the one between the pool and bar) on the Lido deck... Nope, don't think I can reschedule so you may have to go without me... :P

:D:ph34r::(

Have fun on your cruise!

Like we didn't see THAT coming.... :)

As for me, I may actually make the May HOTM, which would be my first. Taking a page from Robinego's book (except I'll actually be there), it will be between my trip to Nashville for the family reunion and my African safari. :D

Let's see...<flipping through her calendar....> the 23rd...hmmm... Gee, would you look at that? It appears that I'm scheduled for deck chair #72 (the one between the pool and bar) on the Lido deck... Nope, don't think I can reschedule so you may have to go without me... :blink:

:mad::mad::mad:

Have fun on your cruise!

Like we didn't see THAT coming.... :mad:

As for me, I may actually make the May HOTM, which would be my first. Taking a page from Robinego's book (except I'll actually be there), it will be between my trip to Nashville for the family reunion and my African safari. :D

I'm truly jealous. Have a great time!

I typically create a bookmark of the targeted caches for the HOTM. I'll have that created this week. I don't usually plan out more than one month at a time. There are a couple I have tentatively planned based on season. Schedule is still TBD.

The Tiger Mountain hike is a special case to give as much advanced notice as possible as the date seems to be pretty set. This saves on having to send e-mail to everybody and wondering if anybody is being missed or should be included.

Sometimes my schedule will conflict with ongoing events.

This month is set for the 23rd. Next month is still up in the air and really depends largely on the anticipated snow melt season.

Edited by TotemLake

I'm in.

I so want to try to do the Tiger Mtn HOTM. Just looked and that just so happens to be one of my "every other" Not to work :anicute: ! I must warn you that I will be slow but steady :D !

Everybody is welcome! Even the Pokey Plodders!

If you don't have an FRS radio, I have a couple I can loan so folks can keep in touch as the group spreads out. I'm thinking somewhere in the middle of the hike, everybody will probably wait for the entire group to catch up like we did on the Lake Valhalla hike and have lunch. I'll need someone like AndrewRJ to confirm whether there are water sources or not to replenish from. Otherwise be sure to bring enough water to handle the entire hike. It will be an all day affair.

Bumping this for a reminder.

....and bookmarked.

Edited by TotemLake

This site has a good map showing you areas to be wary. I've hiked in many rattlesnake habitats. They're pretty much like a bear, they're just as likely to run away rather than go out of their way to attack you. If you surprise them, they will act in fright to defend. Wear boots and be careful of where you put your hands.

A couple of other lessons I had learned while living in So. Calif., is don't step over logs, step on them. If you have to climb over a big rock, be wary of the shady side. If you find yourself in a tight ravine, be aware of your entire surroundings, from little nooks and crannies around your feet all the way up to and above head level.

That last part saved me from getting bit by a 5 1/2 foot rattler in San Diego. He was curled up pretty tight in a small cutout at the bottom of the ravine wall.

I was was walking through a stream cutout and had just traversed a tight S-curve in the ravine when I came upon it.

My saving grace was it was in the shade next to a stream so it was pretty cool there and it was too sluggish and fujll to immediately react to my 2 foot proximity. Long story short, it was digesting a rabbit and I had kept the rattlers for at least 10 years before they finally fell apart. There were 11 beads on the tail and the very tip was broken off.

Now before y'all get all over me on that, I was a kid, and the only good thing you could do to a rattler back then was kill it. I am a bit more enlightened these days... to a point.

O.K. I thought that since you go on hikes, Someone might know this . . . Where in our state do we need to worry about the rattlers while caching? I Know Eastern WA. But where would the start line be so to speak?

I found a map after googling, But don't rely on it exclusively the little guys don't always listen to scientists and can wander.

http://depts.washington.edu/natmap/maps/wa...attlesnake.html

Edited by Harriet the Spy

There is very little water along the trail. I would plan on carrying everything you will want

Or a good filtration device. Small streams are plentiful at lower elevations.

I've come across rattlers outside of the areas shown on the map, but as TotemLake pointed out, they're quick to retreat from humans just like black bear.

Robinego, I grew up in Wenatchee and our cat used to catch rattlesnakes and bring them into the house to show them off like mice.....and this was right in town.

Funny story if you've got a minute. One day (~circa 1972) my little brother and I were rummaging around in our enclosed back porch while my mom was out there doing laundry (the washer and dryer were out there). We got into some stored firewood and found a small rattler, probably dragged into the house by the cat again.

Mom FREAKED!!!!! Not out of fear of the snake so much as for fear it would bite one of her kids. She promptly pulled off her pump, and while wildly shrieking, "HELP, HELP! A SNAKE! HELP, HELP! A SNAKE!!!!", she proceeded to beat the snake into 3 pieces with the heal of her pump. :lol:

I always wondered what the snake would have been saying if it had a voice. Probably, "HELP, HELP! A MOM!!!!". :lol:

Edited by square_peg

....and bookmarked.

With all the talk of rattlesnakes and the upcoming hike on Tiger, this Saturday's HOTM is getting lost and forgotten.

....and bookmarked.

With all the talk of rattlesnakes and the upcoming hike on Tiger, this Saturday's HOTM is getting lost and forgotten.

Rattlesnakes, we're not going to be running into rattlesnakes are we?

On a different note: The Land Rover is leaving Federal way between 0630 and 0645 and still has two heated seats available for cold buns and if needed a 3rd unheated seat.

The Jeep has room for 3 more. I can't offer heated seats as a way to warm your buns though.

I'm going to be out of touch from the forums for most of the day tomorrow... last minute exit details at work and my going away party will keep me pretty occupied. I'll do a quick check-in tomorrow night or the following morning before I leave at 6:30AM. Prying Pandora has my cell phone number if anybody needs to hook up for a ride.

Edited by TotemLake

I didn't get a chance to go on this months hike. I tried to give a road report but due to road conditions I never made it out to give my report till 9:00 am this morning.

I did meet the group on the road though and gave them a first hand report and suggested aborting the planned hike and try another one.

de396e84-1909-4dc1-962d-e57a6a050b37.jpg

Road conditions at the "Turn Here" cache parking spot.

fdfefae3-fff3-4f01-88b6-0a2635c92c5d.jpg

How the road looked as I made the 5 mile hike back out to the main road the next morning.

I tried for 6 hrs to dig my way out and finally gave up and slept a few hrs in the truck before beginning the hike back out.

I didn't get a chance to go on this months hike. I tried to give a road report but due to road conditions I never made it out to give my report till 9:00 am this morning.

I did meet the group on the road though and gave them a first hand report and suggested aborting the planned hike and try another one.

How the road looked as I made the 5 mile hike back out to the main road the next morning.

I tried for 6 hrs to dig my way out and finally gave up and slept a few hrs in the truck before beginning the hike back out.

OMG!

I did not know you all were going for my cache today.. I'm glad I hiked up Mount Walker this week instead of trying to do the skok..

So how much snow is on the Skokomish Trail? Are those snow tires on your truck? Is your truck still there? I had a crazy thing happen near my Jeep the day I placed that cache. http://mosswalks.blogspot.com/2008/01/pine-lake-almost.html I hope you can get your truck out of there as soon as possible!

This was taken the day I placed that cache:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_n-H9SSVlHFs/R4GKGb...reeshotlive.jpg

Some morons shot up two trees while I was out hiking.. more pictures on the website.

Edited by luckykoi

I hope you post those pictures on the cache page. Do come back in the summer when it's just six miles round trip to the lake. The Lake has a climax old growth forest ringing it.

What main road is 5 miles from there? You are on the 23 all the way.. I think you mean where the turn off for the lower trail head is?

browncreekjeepsnowgirlsfire.jpg

That was us at Brown Creek Campground on MLK day the report is here:

http://mosswalks.blogspot.com/2008/01/crim...on-mlk-day.html

OMG!

I did not know you all were going for my cache today.. I'm glad I hiked up Mount Walker this week instead of trying to do the skok..

So how much snow is on the Skokomish Trail?

I don't know I never made it to the trail. It was hard to judge actual snow depth on the road. At times I post holed to the top of my thigh while trying to dig out.

This side of the valley was in shade, the other side which received afternoon sun had little snow. Nothing less then slightly oversized tires would make it to this spot (I had 32" Super Swampers and got stuck). That truck also has a 4" body lift on it!!

My rescuers truck only made it to within 1/4 mile and backed up the last 1/2 mile. He was dragging bottom in many places and even had to have me pull him out once on our return trip.

If I hadn't been stuck the hike would have been awesome though I think. The sun was out and it was a beautiful morning.

Photos to follow on my DNF log.

Edited by ironman114

aldersnowbarricade.jpg

smallsnowtrack.jpg

Pictures from my hike to the cache site.

Did you get the "turn here" cache? it's a tough one (or it will be) even when there is no snow.

No I had poor sat reception that had me looking on both sides of the 23 road and then lost reception. That is when I decided to get turned around.

I did finally make it out by 1:00 PM the next day and yes the "Main Road" was the same 23 road I was stuck on just at the paved part 5 miles from where I was stuck. I should have been more specific.

Before I got stuck I was contemplating ferrying everyone there in my truck.

We abandoned the notion of trying to hike to those three caches. The closest we could get was within almost 3 miles of the first cache. So, we decided to go after Trail 873 and the Three Old Trees cache. It was a great hike and it first appeared our snowshoes were going to be deadweight like the Lena Lake Hike, but we ended up getting tired of post holing about 1/2 mile from the cache and put the snowshoes on and covered the remainder of distance. We kept the shoes on to just before the smaller of the two streams on the way back. We'll be posting DNF's on the targeted caches and I will be adding details to my logs on the ones we found including pics. Right now I'm just beat from the day's drive on top of the hike.

We abandoned the notion of trying to hike to those three caches. The closest we could get was within almost 3 miles of the first cache. So, we decided to go after Trail 873 and the Three Old Trees cache. It was a great hike and it first appeared our snowshoes were going to be deadweight like the Lena Lake Hike, but we ended up getting tired of post holing about 1/2 mile from the cache and put the snowshoes on and covered the remainder of distance. We kept the shoes on to just before the smaller of the two streams on the way back. We'll be posting DNF's on the targeted caches and I will be adding details to my logs on the ones we found including pics. Right now I'm just beat from the day's drive on top of the hike.

It's been quite a year for snow on the Skok. I was really surprised that there was no snow on Mount Walker yesterday. If we get pineapple express all that snow will melt and the Skok will have another major flood.

I'm glad you got to use your snowshoes this time. I've gotten plenty of use out of my snow shoes and my new snow tires this season.

This month's hike is scheduled for Saturday, 3/22. Depending upon my employment status, I may or may not be involved but this is my plan. It's the only Saturday not taken up by some event. Destination TBD.

This will also act as a reminder to keep that Tiger Moutain through hike on your calendar for May 17.

Seeing how the scheduling gods seems to hate me at work and I am working every Friday from now to eternity, is it possible to get some Sunday hikes? :huh:

(BTW, ziplining in Belize was the ****!!!) B)

I'll have to ask. It's the only day of the week I have with my best half. Of course, she has been lamenting about not having a day to herself... B)