Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

How much snow should we expect to encounter on the HOTM? Lucy and Prying Pandora were at Heather Lake on Friday and they said there was still several feet of snow there. Personally, I've stowed my snowshoes for the season, since it's July and all. :unsure:

You and me both.

To be fair, Heather Lake is in Mt Pilchuck's shadow so I'm not suprirsed by that. But even though Twin Falls Lake doesn't have a mountain to hide behind, it is nearby and it could be relevant.

I've been watching the peaks and it looks like the snow is clearing pretty good. I'm going to still attempt it.

Forest Service Trail Reports has this for Ashland Lakes:

07/10/2008: SNOW

Road blocked by snow at Mtn. Loop Highway. FS Road 4021 is closed due to storm damage and bridge washout (Summer 2007). The one mile walk on road is included in trail length.

NW Forest Pass not required at trailhead.

You rolls the dice, you takes your chances.

I hope I'm not the only one there. :ph34r:

Edited by TotemLake

How much snow should we expect to encounter on the HOTM? Lucy and Prying Pandora were at Heather Lake on Friday and they said there was still several feet of snow there. Personally, I've stowed my snowshoes for the season, since it's July and all. :(

You and me both.

To be fair, Heather Lake is in Mt Pilchuck's shadow so I'm not suprirsed by that. But even though Twin Falls Lake doesn't have a mountain to hide behind, it is nearby and it could be relevant.

I've been watching the peaks and it looks like the snow is clearing pretty good. I'm going to still attempt it.

Road blocked by snow at Mtn. Loop Highway. FS Road 4021 is closed due to storm damage and bridge washout (Summer 2007). The one mile walk on road is included in trail length.

I hope I'm not the only one there. :blink:

My BFF, BabyBackPackers alerted me last week to the snow issue so we made a trip out there last Thursday to check the sitch out for ourselves. Much to Gordy's dissapointment we weren't able to get to the trailhead. Oh, sure, he says we could have, that there was only a little patch of snow to cross, but I'm a little more conservative and don't like snow play without another vehicle. The snow patch wasn't very big, likely only about 20' or so, but even with my high clearance car I didn't want to chance it. So, I plan to make a couple of phone calls this week to the Verlot Ranger Station to check the status, but since I don't entirely trust the FS website I'm planning another trip out that way this coming up Thurs/Fri for another check. I should have an "official" report by late Friday.

How much snow should we expect to encounter on the HOTM? Lucy and Prying Pandora were at Heather Lake on Friday and they said there was still several feet of snow there. Personally, I've stowed my snowshoes for the season, since it's July and all. :blink:

You and me both.

I hope I'm not the only one there. :(

My BFF, BabyBackPackers alerted me last week to the snow issue so we made a trip out there last Thursday to check the sitch out for ourselves. Much to Gordy's dissapointment we weren't able to get to the trailhead. Oh, sure, he says we could have, that there was only a little patch of snow to cross, but I'm a little more conservative and don't like snow play without another vehicle. The snow patch wasn't very big, likely only about 20' or so, but even with my high clearance car I didn't want to chance it. So, I plan to make a couple of phone calls this week to the Verlot Ranger Station to check the status, but since I don't entirely trust the FS website I'm planning another trip out that way this coming up Thurs/Fri for another check. I should have an "official" report by late Friday.

Hey thanks for that! I was planning on heading over myself around Tuesday to check it out myself. RWW had provided info that clearly presented some issues beyond what the FS report provided.

How much snow should we expect to encounter on the HOTM? Lucy and Prying Pandora were at Heather Lake on Friday and they said there was still several feet of snow there. Personally, I've stowed my snowshoes for the season, since it's July and all. :(

You and me both.

I hope I'm not the only one there. :(

Hey thanks for that! I was planning on heading over myself around Tuesday to check it out myself. RWW had provided info that clearly presented some issues beyond what the FS report provided.

No sweat, TL. I gots to do what I gots to do to make sure peeps can show up for the pre-hike festivities. :blink:

And I'm glad you mentioned the Wacko, I'm sure we passed him going in the opposite direction on Thursday up in the washout part of the MT Loop. We could see his TB in our rearview mirror.

Looks like I am out for the HOTM this time. Looks like a good hike, but I have been wanting to do Rattlesnake for a very long time. Hopefully I will make it to the next one.

That may still be a more viable hike but I'm still going to target Twin Falls Lake if I can get up there at all.

Looks like I am out for the HOTM this time. Looks like a good hike, but I have been wanting to do Rattlesnake for a very long time. Hopefully I will make it to the next one.

That may still be a more viable hike but I'm still going to target Twin Falls Lake if I can get up there at all.

Best of luck with the snow. I really hope that I am not along for a third try.

LOL If you are, it will be Redemption Redux. :huh:

I guess I'll take a moment to increase the interest a little bit.

I have a new signature item I'm releasing on that hike. It's actually a two part sig item, with the primary sig item going to the targeted cache and the secondary sig item going to the other caches along the way. Everybody who joins will also recieve a copy of the secondary sig item.

These are customized to the HOTM of the month. with mo/yr and the name of the hike. Previews at Red Hook last week were well received.

And just so I'm not tooting my own horn on the creative horn, the credit goes towards my wife for working out the idea.

I've just returned from a trip to the hills and the trailhead is accessible. I didn't venture onto the trail itself, but it was snow free as far as my eyes could see.

Woo Hoo!!

Awesome! Thanks for checking!

If you haven't been to the Pokey Plodder's event page yet, please take a peek and see if you can be there! Even if you can't make the hike it's sure to be a great get together!

Are animals allowed on these HOTM??

I generally don't create HOTMs that won't allow pets. The exception this year is Mt Rainier because of the CITO function there last month and perhaps again in August for another hike being planned by somebody else TBA after this hike. So if you want to come along with your pet, by all means! They will have the opportunity to meet my geopuppy, Penny.

Now as for that animal control stick... I prefer the use of stun rods myself when the pepper spray doesn't work. :rolleyes:

An absoulutely amazing hike. The target was more than I exected and I had the great opportunity to share it with a great bunch!

The first half was challenged by snow. The second half was challenged by downfalls literally obliterating the boardwalk (good for me... bad for needing to bushwhack). More on that tonight.

If you ever get the chance to spend a day hiking, Twin Falls Lake is well worth the effort.

Pictures will be forthcoming.

I haven't put out a signature item in the last 2 years. Sunday, Sassy of Sassy&Gordy received the first one to be released for the Twin Falls Lake cache. Credit for the creative idea goes to my wife. :laughing: This is custom made for the target cache of the HOTM. The other caches on the route and all members of the hike receive a business card sized version. All extras are destroyed.

redmeption2.jpg

sigitembuscard.jpg

fixed the cache name...

Edited by TotemLake

I haven't put out a signature item in the last 2 years. Sunday, Sassy of Sassy&Gordy received the first one to be released for the Twin Lake Falls cache. Credit for the creative idea goes to my wife. :laughing: This is custom made for the target cache of the HOTM. The other caches on the route and all members of the hike receive a business card sized version. All extras are destroyed.

redmeption2.jpg

sigitembuscard.jpg

This looked so cool when you showed it to us at Red Hook a couple weeks ago. Yet another reason I regret missing this HOTM. :laughing:

Looking forward to receiving one at a future HOTM, tho! :laughing:

TL, I love that group shot at the falls/lake. :blink:

Thanks! But I had to do something to it. I didn't catch the camera was tilted when I set it up. Otherwise we woulda been leaning to our left. :rolleyes:

That being said, I still love the way this picture came out.

48871cc9-a160-4915-bdca-b8011044e210.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

How much snow should we expect to encounter on the HOTM? Lucy and Prying Pandora were at Heather Lake on Friday and they said there was still several feet of snow there. Personally, I've stowed my snowshoes for the season, since it's July and all. :rolleyes:

Oh to answer this question now that we trekked it. 6"-24" in places and crusty enough to walk on top most of the time. That wasn't the danger though. Those boards were my bane then and now. Deck shoes would have been better on them, but then deck shoes are useless on the trail proper.

Edited by TotemLake

TL, I love that group shot at the falls/lake. :blink:

Thanks! But I had to do something to it. I didn't catch the camera was tilted when I set it up. Otherwise we woulda been leaning to our left. :antenna:

Since when has a tilted camera been a problem?

1fec1090-f2cb-46e4-80ef-515aeacae47a.jpg

:rolleyes:

:blink:

You know, I was asked if I wanted to take anything from the cache to remember it by, and I indicated I always take great memories with me and that was one of em!

I WAS planning on joining LandRover on his infamous virtual hike this year, but my daughter asked to plan a hike for her 21st Birthday and thus the pinnings of a new HOTM hike begins.

Stay tuned, it is planned for Aug 16.

Edited by TotemLake

I WAS planning on joining LandRover on his infamous virtual hike this year, but my daughter asked to plan a hike for her 21st Birthday and thus the pinnings of a new HOTM hike begins.

You could still make LR4AMRVCT, it isn't until Aug. 30th.

I can't do the HOTM on the 16th as we are starting our vacation on the 15th and heading to the SW part of the State.

You could still make LR4AMRVCT, it isn't until Aug. 30th.

I can't do the HOTM on the 16th as we are starting our vacation on the 15th and heading to the SW part of the State.

I may end up being able to, but there's no telling between now and then until the date gets closer and the honey do list gets shorter. :ph34r:

If you're still thinking about Watson I'd love to tag along. I'll have 3 seats available from Woolley on up.

Watson is slated for Labor Day weekend. I wanted to overnight there again and actually try my hand at fishing the lake instead of just do a cursory bait give away.

If you're still thinking about Watson I'd love to tag along. I'll have 3 seats available from Woolley on up.

Watson is slated for Labor Day weekend. I wanted to overnight there again and actually try my hand at fishing the lake instead of just do a cursory bait give away.

Ahhhhhhhh even better!

An absoulutely amazing hike. The target was more than I exected and I had the great opportunity to share it with a great bunch!

The first half was challenged by snow. The second half was challenged by downfalls literally obliterating the boardwalk (good for me... bad for needing to bushwhack). More on that tonight.

If you ever get the chance to spend a day hiking, Twin Falls Lake is well worth the effort.

It took almost a month but it was finally found!

Congratulations to Perky for a job well done on the Redemption FTF!

59f85da9-6a59-4e23-b53d-a3e4e9af95d9.jpg

TL, Perky brought her prize to the Pokey Plodder Pic-a-nic and she was so thrilled! She proudly passed it around and showed it off to everyone who attended and it was all the rage.

TL, Perky brought her prize to the Pokey Plodder Pic-a-nic and she was so thrilled! She proudly passed it around and showed it off to everyone who attended and it was all the rage.

I have a feeling more HOTM caches are going to be in demand. :huh:

This month's hike will be on the 16th. I know it conflicts with GeoLuau, but it is my daughter's birthday and her Birthday wish is the hike. We will be going after Echo Lake Stash and plan to be at the trailhead at 9AM.

Bump and adding coordinates to park. We're also planning to stop and fish at the lake.

N47° 0.735'

W121° 27.932'

Count Shay and I in on this one, My neck of the woods!!

This month's hike will be on the 16th. I know it conflicts with GeoLuau, but it is my daughter's birthday and her Birthday wish is the hike. We will be going after Echo Lake Stash and plan to be at the trailhead at 9AM.

Bump and adding coordinates to park. We're also planning to stop and fish at the lake.

N47° 0.735'

W121° 27.932'

I went up there on Sunday to do some trout fishing. The trail is in good shape and the cache is still there.

N47° 0.735'

W121° 27.932'

Count Shay and I in on this one, My neck of the woods!!

Bumpity bump. I count three + 2 dogs for tomorrow.

Anybody else?

I just looked at the pictures on the cache page TL. That camera was a good investment! Good job!

Thanks! I'm really enjoying it!

I'm going to take advantage and announce September's hike to Watson, Watson, my Bacon! for a maintenance run and I'm planning on making it a double overnighter on the Labor Day weekend.

This is a doable day hike and day hikers are very welcome to join me!

Sorry about that! This particular weekend was planned months ahead. ;)

I just took a second look at cstmfrmrs pictures with more clear eyes today (minus the exhaustion and birthday party celebrations) and I had to copy three of them over for my slideshow screen saver. Nice pics! I especially like this well framed shot:

740d25e4-7dd4-40fb-b450-5349532dbe82.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

Earlier this summer I had hoped for doing a hike in the Olympics Labor day weekend. I will have 4 days off.

At this point I'm not sure of my stamina and will give this hike some consideration.

I want to get some kind of hike in this year while I still am able to.

I'm still planning a run into the Wonder Mountain Wilderness that weekend. No trails, no crowds, and hopefully some fish in the lakes.