Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

Watch this thread for HOTM 2008 hikes!

That being said...

My daughter promised to join me on a hike in January with only one request, please make it Mt Baker. B) I'll post the weekend as soon as I know which one she gets freed up.

Hm, so is there a fair amount of huffing and puffing on these hikes? I would love to go on one but yesterday found myself really just going slow while hiking on Tiger.

Hm, so is there a fair amount of huffing and puffing on these hikes? I would love to go on one but yesterday found myself really just going slow while hiking on Tiger.

Huffing and puffing is what it's all about. Anyway that's my story.

I have done repeat hikes on several trail and find that the second or third time I do a trail it's nowhere near as hard a I remembered them being.

Remember to SLOW down on the up hill, while it doesn't keep you from huffing and puffing it certainly helps, then make up for the slow uphill on the downhill.

Watch this thread for HOTM 2008 hikes!

That being said...

My daughter promised to join me on a hike in January with only one request, please make it Mt Baker. B) I'll post the weekend as soon as I know which one she gets freed up.

Some people like to move fast, some, like myself, tend to move slow. Tiger Mtn is a pretty hefty hike and if you were doing more than 1MPH up that trail, then you're probably doing pretty fair. Average hike speed is 2MPH although we have some that certainly move faster than that.

Snowshoe hikes are by nature physically demanding but they are a heck of a lot of fun.

As for trying to keep up with the group, my suggestion is to go your own speed. Your endurance and speed will eventually crank up and you'll find yourself keeping up a little easier down the road. If you don't have an FRS radio, get one. That will help you keep in touch with the group ahead and behind you as they too will be going their own speed. We tend to spread out but we do wait for the entire group to catch up at available rest points (if any) and at the cache location. This is good for the trail, and good ettiquette towards the other users.

Truth be known, I usually bring up the rear of the crowd. I can think of only a couple of hikes where I was in better condition than somebody else. We just make sure everybody has a radio and we keep in touch that way.

Some people like to move fast, some, like myself, tend to move slow. Tiger Mtn is a pretty hefty hike and if you were doing more than 1MPH up that trail, then you're probably doing pretty fair. Average hike speed is 2MPH although we have some that certainly move faster than that.

Snowshoe hikes are by nature physically demanding but they are a heck of a lot of fun.

As for trying to keep up with the group, my suggestion is to go your own speed. Your endurance and speed will eventually crank up and you'll find yourself keeping up a little easier down the road. If you don't have an FRS radio, get one. That will help you keep in touch with the group ahead and behind you as they too will be going their own speed. We tend to spread out but we do wait for the entire group to catch up at available rest points (if any) and at the cache location. This is good for the trail, and good ettiquette towards the other users.

Truth be known, I usually bring up the rear of the crowd. I can think of only a couple of hikes where I was in better condition than somebody else. We just make sure everybody has a radio and we keep in touch that way.

Great, and thanks for the response from LandRover also. That sounds great and a bit reassuring after considering hiking with my brother who does stuff like run races on Tiger :-)

Lower South Fork Skokomish is a snowshoe hike at the moment. Last year you were looking for a snowshoe hike in the Olympics. I have two caches on that trail and there are several caches on the way to it.

b5ab07ea-83f3-40da-9aac-69abc2741b93.jpg This the the table at the trail head. FS23 is plowed.

Edited by luckykoi

Thanks! For January, I'm committed to my daughter for Mt Baker on the 26th (to be confirmed). We can plan for an Olympics hike in February. By then, the big rash of storms coming our way should make the snow even deeper.

An event/hike was recently published on the 26th for Lord Hill (GC18AQB). No idea if this is something that might affect the date when planning so figured I'd bring it up.

Thanks! For January, I'm committed to my daughter for Mt Baker on the 26th (to be confirmed). We can plan for an Olympics hike in February. By then, the big rash of storms coming our way should make the snow even deeper.

An event/hike was recently published on the 26th for Lord Hill (GC18AQB). No idea if this is something that might affect the date when planning so figured I'd bring it up.

I am pretty sure each of the outings are safe. We seem to be pretty far away from each other, and are have different objectives. You guys are going snowshoeing, I am planning on slowly plodding around muddy trails.

The two hikes almost don't collide except for those whom haven't done either location at all. Don't worry, there will be more snowshoe hikes as long as I have the weather for it.

I would gladly move the date of this HOTM except for the fact I've already made a couple of commitments, particularly to my daughter whom has to get a substitute (and needs the advanced notice to do so) to take her place at work for the Chrstmas gift hike she promised me.

Currently, Heather Meadows (near the parking area) is 116" at the base and Panorama Dome is 137".

The two hikes almost don't collide except for those whom haven't done either location at all. Don't worry, there will be more snowshoe hikes as long as I have the weather for it.

I would gladly move the date of this HOTM except for the fact I've already made a couple of commitments, particularly to my daughter whom has to get a substitute (and needs the advanced notice to do so) to take her place at work for the Chrstmas gift hike she promised me.

Currently, Heather Meadows (near the parking area) is 116" at the base and Panorama Dome is 137".

I didn't mean to necessarily suggest moving it, just wanted to point out in case those planning hadn't seen :anicute:

It was suggested earlier that one would want a two way radio for group hikes. Immediate after that it seemed like I found a handful of other instances that these would be handy in.

Off I went to do a little research hoping to pick up a pair and I find that very few in the $50 range receive consistent reviews. I had, at one point, settled on the Motorola FV700R, but then read a number of reviews that made them sound like they might be good for throwing at cougars if you ran into them but little else, so was hoping that I might be able to get a few recommendations.

I don't want to steer this thread off topic so if this is inappropriate I can ask elsewhere, just figured that the conditions I would use these the most seem to match up with the hikes here.

Any help appreciated!

It was suggested earlier that one would want a two way radio for group hikes. Immediate after that it seemed like I found a handful of other instances that these would be handy in.

Off I went to do a little research hoping to pick up a pair and I find that very few in the $50 range receive consistent reviews. I had, at one point, settled on the Motorola FV700R, but then read a number of reviews that made them sound like they might be good for throwing at cougars if you ran into them but little else, so was hoping that I might be able to get a few recommendations.

I don't want to steer this thread off topic so if this is inappropriate I can ask elsewhere, just figured that the conditions I would use these the most seem to match up with the hikes here.

Any help appreciated!

If you don't mind, I would like to keep this topic on track wtih hikes. The Hiking and Backpacking forum would be an excellent location to start a new topic for opinions and suggestions on the FRS/GMRS radio. The HOTM seems to do pretty good with creating spin-off topics. :anicute:

The 26th is confirmed. Those of you that will be joining me, make sure you have chains for your vehicle. It is required equipment even if you are AWD. Trailhead time at the upper parking lot of Heather Meadows will be 9:30ish to allow for the distance everybody has to travel. I have to go through Bellingham to pick up my daughter.

Just so you everyone watching this is aware, a conflicting event has been published by Groundspeak.

Harriet already moved her Lord Hill event, and I know you already said that this is locked in, but I just wanted you to know.

Aack! :huh:

I'd offer up an earlier date at another location, but I'm coming down with the crud and it will be all I have to get my wind back in time for the 26th. :lol:

I placed a snowshoe cache today.. I don't know how long it will be a snow shoe cache though. No way I could have placed it without shoes.. when I took them off I sunk to my thigh.

I was hoping to be able to go on this hike. Now I am not sure if I will be up to it.

If I only need one pole maybe I can.

Today I dropped a 80-100 pound beam on my right hand. Fortunately x-rays say no broken bones but boy is it swollen and sore!

Time will tell, maybe it will be OK next week.

I was hoping to be able to go on this hike. Now I am not sure if I will be up to it.

Today I dropped a 80-100 pound beam on my right hand. Fortunately x-rays say no broken bones but boy is it swollen and sore!

YIKES!!! :lol: Hope it's better soon!

About the hike, is this Grumblecache redux? I'm going to the Groundspeak event, but hadn't seen what specifically the hike was this time (didn't look at the bookmark). Have fun! What an awesome view from up there!

YIKES!!! :lol: Hope it's better soon!

About the hike, is this Grumblecache redux? I'm going to the Groundspeak event, but hadn't seen what specifically the hike was this time (didn't look at the bookmark). Have fun! What an awesome view from up there!

YIKES is right! Hope your hand does get better soon.

As for Grumblecache redux, it could be. It's a great hike and I'm ready to test my mettle against it again to compare against last year's hike. It's going to depend on factors such as who is going and the avalanche danger. Artist Point is known to have 'em, and this year seems to be catching a few folks off-guard.

Edited by TotemLake

So, How did it go today?

The front beat us to the mountain. We decided not to risk summiting Artist Point in 14 degree weather with 30-40MPH winds and snow driving in. Views were limited by the incoming weather and eyewear that kept fogging up. So we hiked around in the lower area learning and refining our snowshoe techniques and testing our stoves in the blustery weather.

So, How did it go today?

I'm back home.

Of course I did have to go right back out and tow my daughters car home. :)

No caches found or even sought today, but it was a fun day anyway. I did confirm that an alcohol stove will not evaporate and burn in that cold of weather. I also had trouble with my other stove and my lighter seemed to have problems too. I still had back up matches though.

It was cold enough also that two of the three hydration tubes froze up despite efforts to clear the lines of water till needed.

Some good lessons learned with out the hard knocks of experience!

Oh yeah my smashed hand function pretty well in the cold and the swelling even went down more. :)

Edited by ironman114

Next HOTM will be 2/16. Location TBD.

Moved to Sunday 2/17... Location TBD

This is the last time it gets moved. I can't go backwards as I've already committed the free days to other things. About the only thing consistant is the location has yet to be determined.

Saturday 2/23 is the final date. I am planning a snowshoe hike to justify these snowshoes.

This is the last time it gets moved. I can't go backwards as I've already committed the free days to other things. About the only thing consistent is the location has yet to be determined.

Saturday 2/23 is the final date. I am planning a snowshoe hike to justify these snowshoes.

Whoopee!!!!!! :D:D:D I was so bummed when you changed it to Sunday because I have to work that day, but Saturday the 23rd I'm free!!!! I will FINALLY get to use my snowshoes!!! :D:D:D:D :D

Hollow Tree has been replaced. :D

Next HOTM will be 2/16. Location TBD.

Moved to Sunday 2/17... Location TBD

This is the last time it gets moved. I can't go backwards as I've already committed the free days to other things. About the only thing consistant is the location has yet to be determined.

You hate me don't you? :D Somehow somewhere I pissed you off... My only consolation, I'll be on a cruise ship somewhere between Belize and Honduras.

Got any TB's that need to head south (where it's warm?)