Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

I know I'm jumping the gun, but how long (time wise) will the Tiger Mtn hike be and what time do you plan on begining the hike?

I'm giving it some serious consideration and I need to make sure I request that day off now. I work until at least 0100 and will get to bed and asleep ~0200 (if I push it) Sat AM then driving 2-2.5 hours after only a few hours of sleep really messes with my positive outlook on life. (hush Patudles, I do to have one :laughing: )

I'll talk to the "geo-ignorant spouse" about his participation (AKA; chauffeuring)

Stating the obvious? Plan for a long day... a really long day.

Forty-and-Eight has a track log showing 19 miles and 3800' elevation gain. The stated distance is at least 16 miles. I saw reports of 6-10 hours to do the trail.

LandRover was kind enough to put together a bookmark as I don't know the trail at all, and Kiersolvd was good enough to put together some mileposts to add to your waypoints. I fully recommend making the use of both of these to mark your GPS trail.

As this is really the effort of Tibby's People, I'll be coordinating with them on their preferred start time.

-=-=Edited to fix stated mileage.=-=-

Chatting with Tibby's People today resulted in a take-off time of 9AM at the trailhead. Please note, this is not a meet up time. We will be hitting the trail at that hour.

Edited by TotemLake

Since Totemlake is going to be unavailable, I have decided that the hike of the month for April will be on Squak Mtn.

Specifically I will be trying to find Bullitt the Blue Sky.

I don't actually know the route that we will be going, but I hope to pick up a few others on Squak at the same time.

I figure that a 8 am start on Saturday April 12, should give us enough time to finish a good days hike.

Since Totemlake is going to be unavailable, I have decided that the hike of the month for April will be on Squak Mtn.

I don't actually know the route that we will be going, but I hope to pick up a few others on Squak at the same time.

I figure that a 8 am start on Saturday April 12, should give us enough time to finish a good days hike.

Ok change of plans since no one seems interested.

I am going to go do this series instead.

Sam's Solar System: Bonus

Do you plan on trying to get them all or are you just going to target specific ones?

Do you plan on trying to get them all or are you just going to target specific ones?

All, if at all possible. I have looked, there are only 4 small hikes including the bonus and they are really all on Tiger.

All, if at all possible. I have looked, there are only 4 small hikes including the bonus and they are really all on Tiger.

I see at least 250 miles of driving involved with the series, there is one 60 miles south and one 60 miles north of the Bonus cache, that’s 240 air miles.

I might be up for it, depends on if I get our taxes finished up or not.

I see at least 250 miles of driving involved with the series, there is one 60 miles south and one 60 miles north of the Bonus cache, that’s 240 air miles.

Dang it I was overlooking Eris.

Well its not like there was really any interest in the hike of the month this month anyway so it really doesn't matter to much where I end up. If your up for it LR we should try to hit the southern section at least.

I completely missed the Squak proposal. I would have loved to have gone on a group hike there if for no other reason than maybe someone would have climbed that stupid tower ;-)

But can't blame a guy for wanting to go after that great new series!

LR beat me to it. I was going to say: several are in the Issaquah and Tiger area, but I also see Mercer Island, Granite Falls, Arlington (north of), Enumclaw (south of), and Morton (really south). Sounds like a great series - I did part of a similar one in San Jose five years ago, and it really gives you a perspective on our little corner of the galaxy. Kudos to SuperDudeSam and bolosky. :)

Edited by hydnsek

I would have loved to have gone on a group hike there if for no other reason than maybe someone would have climbed that stupid tower ;-)

LOL! :) I personally am elevation challenged, and refuse to attempt it.

BTW, my dad, an Electronics Tech for the US Forest Service who is trained to climb radio towers, says not to climb it without the proper safety harness.

I would have loved to have gone on a group hike there if for no other reason than maybe someone would have climbed that stupid tower ;-)

LOL! :) I personally am elevation challenged, and refuse to attempt it.

BTW, my dad, an Electronics Tech for the US Forest Service who is trained to climb radio towers, says not to climb it without the proper safety harness.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is a way cool climb, and on my Favorites list! I climbed it in the rain, which made the rungs slippery (glad for gloves). Didn't have wind, though, which I hear makes it more exhilarating. :) Can't imagine using a safety harness, but that's me. Big fun!! :)

LOL! :D I personally am elevation challenged, and refuse to attempt it.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is a way cool climb, and on my Favorites list! I climbed it in the rain, which made the rungs slippery (glad for gloves). Didn't have wind, though, which I hear makes it more exhilarating. :D Can't imagine using a safety harness, but that's me. Big fun!! :P

I climbed it when it was snowing and the rungs were icy, now that was fun!!!

LOL! :D I personally am elevation challenged, and refuse to attempt it.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is a way cool climb, and on my Favorites list! I climbed it in the rain, which made the rungs slippery (glad for gloves). Didn't have wind, though, which I hear makes it more exhilarating. :D Can't imagine using a safety harness, but that's me. Big fun!! :P

I climbed it when it was snowing and the rungs were icy, now that was fun!!!

Believe it or not, this is one cache I really, really want to do. :D

Well its not like there was really any interest in the hike of the month this month anyway so it really doesn't matter to much where I end up. If your up for it LR we should try to hit the southern section at least.

Okay, I'm a definite definite for Saturday.

FYI I did a route from Preston just for the southern caches and it was about 180 miles R/T.

If it wasn't this weekend, I'd think about it...'cuz I really want to do this series...but I'm still in lots of pain from my fall a week ago and this weekend we're planning a garage sale...

Have fun.

I was hoping that you would be feeling better. Sorry to hear that you are still hurting from that.

If it wasn't this weekend, I'd think about it...'cuz I really want to do this series...but I'm still in lots of pain from my fall a week ago and this weekend we're planning a garage sale...

Have fun.

I was hoping that you would be feeling better. Sorry to hear that you are still hurting from that.

Me too. Unfortunately, the back was a bit more 'out of alignment' than I thought and it is taking time to convince it to straighten back out. It will eventually, until then it's just hard to sleep, move, and breathe.

Thanks for the concern.

Double check and mark your calendars, May 17 is coming up fast!!!

Tibby's People has planned for A BIG HIKE on Tiger Mtn. This will be an all day effort hitting the traihead at 9AM with a hike from one end to the other. Please plan to be there by 8:30; coordinates to be posted when we get closer. We'll need shuttle volunteers to (I'm one) and we will have Frito Pie with beer at the end!

More details to come very soon.

Tibby's People has planned for A BIG HIKE on Tiger Mtn. This will be an all day effort hitting the traihead at 9AM with a hike from one end to the other. Please plan to be there by 8:30; coordinates to be posted when we get closer. We'll need shuttle volunteers to (I'm one) and we will have Frito Pie with beer at the end!

Dang :P

Dang :)

Eh? Does that mean you won't be able to join us?

Its really too bad this can't be listed as an event. Although the route is for TMT series, there's a whole bunch of other caches on the way... And its no small hike, so it would be very nice to have an idea of who was going and there is the chance of folks going along who could greatly benefit from having some detailed information about the whole thing listed out.

I know there has been some issues with this outing getting listed as an event, but I'm wondering if a reviewer would let us approve a post hike party or like event. I'd originally intended on calling my wife when we started the final stretch down so she could be waiting there with eats and drinks and had hoped maybe to even get rid of some of my geocoins if folks were willing to stick around. Anyone is invited, its just a really long walk to get there... Google Earth tells me that the driving route from my house to the north parking lot at Tiger is 17.9 miles... that's less miles than what I put in when I did this hike!

Its really too bad this can't be listed as an event. Although the route is for TMT series, there's a whole bunch of other caches on the way... And its no small hike, so it would be very nice to have an idea of who was going and there is the chance of folks going along who could greatly benefit from having some detailed information about the whole thing listed out.

Event caches are cool, and I like 'em, but it doesn't have to be listed as an event to gather the necessary info. A forum thread works just as well, altho you don't get a smiley. TotemLake's HOTMs aren't usually events, but organized in this thread. Seems to work out okay. And our Camp Muir climb at Mt Rainier last year was done in a forum thread, including the logistics, attendance, camping, caches, route, etc.

I'm just sayin'....either way works.

Edited by hydnsek

The HOTM series has never been about the event, but more about friends getting together for an adventure. With that in consideration, please don't turn this thread into a platform for or against the decision. :ph34r:

I will have more details as the time gets closer. It isn't that I don't have them, it merely gets stale if I post it too early. Landrover has a great bookmark in place for this effort.

As for knowing who is going to be there or not, I keep close tabs on this thread for the headcount. Please feel free to post a yea if you plan on being there. :(

Edited by TotemLake

The HOTM series has never been about the event, but more about friends getting together for an adventure. With that in consideration, please don't turn this thread into a platform for or against the decision. :ph34r:

I will have more details as the time gets closer. It isn't that I don't have them, it merely gets stale if I post it too early. Landrover has a great bookmark in place for this effort.

As for knowing who is going to be there or not, I keep close tabs on this thread for the headcount. Please feel free to post a yea if you plan on being there. :P

It wasn't a smiley or headcount I was really thinking about...

In no way did I mean to step on your toes and couldn't agree more that this isn't the thread to debate for or against group hikes being events. I really should have emailed you directly about it in the first before posting anything here anyways :(

Sorry, back to my corner!

As for knowing who is going to be there or not, I keep close tabs on this thread for the headcount. Please feel free to post a yea if you plan on being there. :(

It wasn't a smiley or headcount I was really thinking about...

In no way did I mean to step on your toes and couldn't agree more that this isn't the thread to debate for or against group hikes being events. I really should have emailed you directly about it in the first before posting anything here anyways :P

Sorry, back to my corner!

Everybody has a right to their opinion. I just wanted to keep this thread from turning into a political forum and the fastest way was to jump in with both feet and say something. B) That being said, I had no intention to chase you back to your corner.

Btw, the guidelines are why I have never tried to create an event for this anyway. It's a lot of work for something that's going to happen anyway.

I have a question and me being me . . . Well, are All HOTM dodads always A LOT of miles of walking :ph34r: ?

It depends on your definition of "A LOT".

By my definition the answer is no they are not ALWAYS a lot of miles, but it's not always the miles that get ya. It could be the elevation gain, or the 3' of powder that you are snowshoeing through, or the 50# pack on your back for the overnighter, or the combination of any or all of the above.

I have a question and me being me . . . Well, are All HOTM dodads always A LOT of miles of walking :ph34r: ?

By my definition the answer is no they are not ALWAYS a lot of miles, but it's not always the miles that get ya. It could be the elevation gain, or the 3' of powder that you are snowshoeing through, or the 50# pack on your back for the overnighter, or the combination of any or all of the above.

Yah. I think the common denominator is that HOTMs are nearly always a good physical workout, the definition of which can vary, as LandRover indicates. I think that's why the Pokey Plodders created an alternative. ;)

Edited by hydnsek

Yah. I think the common denominator is that HOTMs are nearly always a good physical workout, the definition of which can vary, as LandRover indicates. I think that's why the Pokey Plodders created an alternative. ;)

Although you will see that the Pokey Plodders are in fact following in the footsteps of a previous HOTM when they walk the lime kiln trail this weekend.

Usually the HOTM is a 4 to 8 mile hike somewhere interesting... Interesting to TL usually means forested, and some hills.

This month is the extreem upper end of the scale I think. I think that it will be the longest and hardest hike we have attempted. Although I havn't made it to all of them by any means. With that said TL has always been open to sugestions of places to go, so if you have an idea please mention it. :)

Edited by AndrewRJ

All well defined, but you guys forgot one. The views. The first strenuous hike I took was the one of the first group hikes to Gem Lake Cache. It was as every bit challenging as it was worth every step. It took me close to 7 hours to complete that hike largely through inexperience and not quite being in shape for it. I've been looking for the views ever since.

Don't be afraid to be challenged. I learned on that hike what it is like to have the generosity of friends around you. Moun10Bike offered up a bottle of water when I was critically low that day. Even the Perseides Meteor HOTM showed an abundance of generosity when folks found themselves a little shorthanded on supplies and shelter and even a helping hand when it came to looking for a couple of wayward folks.

I do try to find easier ones to take. Even though the Monroe Hike was a bit miscalculated because we didn't know where the bonus cache was, it was one of the easier hikes to be enjoyed.

I'm not a speed hiker and I tend to stay near the rear of the crowd; athough with a hike this size, people will find their own stride and spread out. If you find this one a bit daunting, by all means go with the Pokey Plodders! The Lime Kiln trail is an awesome hike even if you only go half way.

I do plan on a midway rest stop where folks can have a chance to catch up, take a load off, and catch their wind. I will be staying at the end of the hike to make sure everybody gets out. That's why I'm offering food and beer. I'm hoping to entice some folks to stick around. ;)

Edited by TotemLake

I'll agree with everything already said by Totem Lake, AndrewRJ and hydnsek, but would like to add a couple of things -

1. Pokey Plodders are by nature unorganized, I'm not sure why it is, it just IS. That's why the "events" work for us. A majority of event attendees only come for the coffee and doughnuts, most don't even do the hike/walk. Aditionally, over half of the people that attend the events don't follow the forums and would have no way of knowing about the planned get together. I know personally that I wanted to do the Monroe hike, but forgot to check the thread and missed the hike entirely. Slap an event on the first page of caches and I wouldn't have been able to miss it.

2. I think most PP aspire to be HOTM'rs. At least I know I do. We don't have a mission statement, but if we did I'm sure it would say something like "We're slow, but we'll get there, too!" We want to hike the same trails and see the same views, but most of us are inexperienced and/or outta shape. Who knows? A couple of years as PP and I might even have the courage to join a HOTM.

Last month was Lord Hill, this month Lime Kiln and I've heard whispers of a combined PP & HOTM event/hike sometime later this year. Oh boy!!

In my mind I see this as the natural progression:

Couch potato --->> Pokey Plodder --->>Hike of The Month

I'll have to admit I like the idea of beginner to experienced. But no matter the skill set, everybody please feel free to join us or the PP group. There's only one way to get out there and it is by placing one foot in front of the other.

The reason I keep track of headcount is to be sure everybody gets out safe and sound. I may not always stay in the rear, but I will keep track of your progress.

I'll agree with everything already said by Totem Lake, AndrewRJ and hydnsek, but would like to add a couple of things -

1. Pokey Plodders are by nature unorganized, I'm not sure why it is, it just IS. That's why the "events" work for us. A majority of event attendees only come for the coffee and doughnuts, most don't even do the hike/walk. Aditionally, over half of the people that attend the events don't follow the forums and would have no way of knowing about the planned get together. I know personally that I wanted to do the Monroe hike, but forgot to check the thread and missed the hike entirely. Slap an event on the first page of caches and I wouldn't have been able to miss it.

2. I think most PP aspire to be HOTM'rs. At least I know I do. We don't have a mission statement, but if we did I'm sure it would say something like "We're slow, but we'll get there, too!" We want to hike the same trails and see the same views, but most of us are inexperienced and/or outta shape. Who knows? A couple of years as PP and I might even have the courage to join a HOTM.

Last month was Lord Hill, this month Lime Kiln and I've heard whispers of a combined PP & HOTM event/hike sometime later this year. Oh boy!!

I have to admit that I am more of a "Pokey Prodder. PLUS, I definitely fit in the "unorganized" category. With us being SO short staffed where I work, I no longer have a complete weekend off any more. At least I used to have my "every other". I miss my Sunday off :drama:

I like the idea of comradely and the fact that anyone is always welcomed to join the others :D

I appreciate your definitions - Thank you!

Two months ago was Lord Hill, last month was Lord Hill North Creek Trail, this month Lime Kiln and I've heard whispers of a combined PP & HOTM event/hike sometime later this year. Oh boy!!

I am organized so I felt compelled to fix that... :drama:

:P

Two months ago was Lord Hill, last month was Lord Hill North Creek Trail, this month Lime Kiln and I've heard whispers of a combined PP & HOTM event/hike sometime later this year. Oh boy!!

I am organized so I felt compelled to fix that... :P

That would be the diplomatic version of what I would have said...

I have to admit that I am more of a "Pokey Prodder. PLUS, I definitely fit in the "unorganized" category. With us being SO short staffed where I work, I no longer have a complete weekend off any more. At least I used to have my "every other". I miss my Sunday off :P

I like the idea of comradely and the fact that anyone is always welcomed to join the others :P

I want to reiterate just because you view yourself as a PP, beginner, inexperienced or not, has no bearing on your ability to do the HOTM. I myself called many many breaks on some of the hikes last year. At one point it was at every switchback every 50 feet. I expect other people to do the same thing and the same very considederate consideration given me will be provided. You will have company and you will have encouragement. Wear durable shoes for the trail, pack a lunch and carry at least 2 liters of water. Don't worry about filters if you don't have one. Enough of us carry them and make them available.

I have to admit that I am more of a "Pokey Prodder. PLUS, I definitely fit in the "unorganized" category. With us being SO short staffed where I work, I no longer have a complete weekend off any more. At least I used to have my "every other". I miss my Sunday off :P

I like the idea of comradely and the fact that anyone is always welcomed to join the others ;)

I want to reiterate just because you view yourself as a PP, beginner, inexperienced or not, has no bearing on your ability to do the HOTM. I myself called many many breaks on some of the hikes last year. At one point it was at every switchback every 50 feet. I expect other people to do the same thing and the same very considederate consideration given me will be provided. You will have company and you will have encouragement. Wear durable shoes for the trail, pack a lunch and carry at least 2 liters of water. Don't worry about filters if you don't have one. Enough of us carry them and make them available.

I was wondering how long, best guess, you think it'll take all involved to complete the hike (mostly the big reason I was interested in knowing who was going ahead of time).

With some logs 10+ hours to complete, head lamps might be in order. Nothing wrong with that, I've come down off Tiger more times in the dark than in the light :P

It might also affect where parking in the north takes place as I believe the gate to the park closes up at dusk (although usually plenty of parking outside the gate as long as no races going on)

I like the idea of comradely and the fact that anyone is always welcomed to join the others ;)

I was wondering how long, best guess, you think it'll take all involved to complete the hike (mostly the big reason I was interested in knowing who was going ahead of time).

With some logs 10+ hours to complete, head lamps might be in order. Nothing wrong with that, I've come down off Tiger more times in the dark than in the light :P

It might also affect where parking in the north takes place as I believe the gate to the park closes up at dusk (although usually plenty of parking outside the gate as long as no races going on)

I'm told the average hiker moves about 2MPH. I move slightly slower than that with all the little breaks figured in. Then you need to figure in the big breaks. I had my data but since moving to a new PC its going to take me a little bit to put it all back togther... say by Sunday.

I'm told the average hiker moves about 2MPH. I move slightly slower than that with all the little breaks figured in. Then you need to figure in the big breaks. I had my data but since moving to a new PC its going to take me a little bit to put it all back togther... say by Sunday.

Well I lied... I found my data a lot faster than I expected. The trail is about 16-17 miles depending on who's GPS you believe and the Milepost waypoints on the final cache at the north end.

8-10 hours is not unreasonable. I was looking at a hit the trailhead time of 9AM and I mean physically starting... not arriving and waiting for everybody else. That gives time for the necessary shuttling which still needs to be determined, but a meetup at the north end at 8:15 will be a good time frame.

I'm open to suggestions of starting earlier.

I like the idea of comradely and the fact that anyone is always welcomed to join the others :P

Not to point out the obviuos or maybe not so obvious but both Lord Hill and The Lime Kiln Trail were HOTM's so don't think that just because you're a PP you can't do a HOTM.

Well I lied... I found my data a lot faster than I expected. The trail is about 16-17 miles depending on who's GPS you believe and the Milepost waypoints on the final cache at the north end.

8-10 hours is not unreasonable. I was looking at a hit the trailhead time of 9AM and I mean physically starting... not arriving and waiting for everybody else. That gives time for the necessary shuttling which still needs to be determined, but a meetup at the north end at 8:15 will be a good time frame.

I'm open to suggestions of starting earlier.

When I did it it took me quite a while, around 13 hours, not much breaking but we got MTM and a couple of rockitbiker bushwhacks also, plus it took me *forever* (read: over an hour) to find Midpoint (my GPSr was not playing nice). We hit the trail a bit before 8 and ended a bit after 8:30. I needed a head lamp at 8:30 in the woods.

9am sounds like we should get out of there in the light if 10 hours is high end of end time :P

I have to admit that I am more of a "Pokey Prodder. PLUS, I definitely fit in the "unorganized" category. With us being SO short staffed where I work, I no longer have a complete weekend off any more. At least I used to have my "every other". I miss my Sunday off :(

I guess I need to clarify my position a little better.

I consider the Pokey Plodders to be a great addition to our community. We are not in competition, nor do I feel slighted that the PP is getting a great response. They do better than what the HOTM aspired to try to do, which is to get people uncertain of their skill sets out onto the trails, and for me, that's what counts. The HOTM group is by no means a technical group, although some folks that join us can be described as experienced technical hikers. As Harriet the Spy put it, we might have more cooler gadgets although mine are getting pretty long in the tooth. :)

The truth is, you have to know and recognize your limits. The only way to know that, really, is to get out there with either the PP group or the HOTM group. Just because you think you won't be able to complete a hike doesn't mean you can't start on one.

Edited by TotemLake