Geocoins on Ebay?! Over a thousand different auctions?!

tabulator32

It appears geocoins have turned into quite a collectible item. I never noticed before now but I just happened to search for it and found over a thousand auctions for various geocoins.

I wonder if most people still trade and hide them or if this is the regular thing now...to buy them.

Do any of you seek out special geocoins to purchase?

Whats the deal?

:laughing:

Geocoins have been on E-bay for quite awhile now. You can find some hard to find coins on there, but you can also find a lot of newer coins on there that are very overpriced.

yes, a lot of people have become geocoin collectors. Some people like collecting stamps, others geocoins :laughing: Fortunately there are still a lot of people that place them in caches as well.

I'm always looking for new Geocoins, I got hooked when I found my first coin in I think my 3rd or 4th cache find. I buy them, but only once from e-bay. I am going to collect some, but when I buy new ones, I always buy two, one to keep and one to travel. Just set my first one free and got my first log on it!

I keep checking on e-bay, have bid a few times, but I have a limit I will spend on an e-bay coin, since I can usually only get one.

I wonder if most people still trade and hide them or if this is the regular thing now...to buy them.

Do you still cache?

I don't cache that much unless I'm on a trip and I find coins in caches all the time. I also revisit TB hotels regularly to launder bugs.

I prefer to move coins through events rather than leaving them in caches though. That way I can point the owner in the right direction when they come looking.

Do you still cache?

I still cache...not as much as when I first started. Often, on a whim and I still try to sign the logs even though I don't always mark it as found online.

I only have eighty-something logged finds (and a few more unlogged) but I have NEVER actually seen a geocoin in a cache. Is that unusual?

:laughing:

Anyway, I was just surprised at the popularity of it when I had never seen one. Its a sure sign I need to get up off my butt and start caching more!

;)

The secondary market for geocoins boomed in late 2005/early 2006. They're the "beanie baby" of geocaching. Where you been hiding? :laughing:

That would be an interesting topic....how many here came to geocoins after leaving beanie babies?? Unfortunatley I would have to have my hand in the air here. I don't know how many beanie babies I have left in caches....

The secondary market for geocoins boomed in late 2005/early 2006. They're the "beanie baby" of geocaching. Where you been hiding? :laughing:

That would be an interesting topic....how many here came to geocoins after leaving beanie babies?? Unfortunatley I would have to have my hand in the air here. I don't know how many beanie babies I have left in caches....

Off topic, I know I did.

On topic, yeah, there's one or two being sold every now and then ;)

The secondary market for geocoins boomed in late 2005/early 2006. They're the "beanie baby" of geocaching. Where you been hiding? :D

Hand in air, yet there was about a year gap in between beanies and geocoins, and I still have more beanies than geocoins :laughing: . Never placed a beanie in a cache, but I did give some out to Trick or Treaters on Halloween this year.

My dream is to find someone sick of geocoins that has decided to collect beanies, bring em on ;)

Compared to historical levels, 1,000 is a somewhat high number

A more typical amount is around 600 or 700

My sense is that a lot of the extra activity lately is due to selloffs

50, 100, even 200 coins from the same seller

Some say "getting rid of extras"

Others mention "need some additional cash"

A few have even said "lost interest in collecting"

One was in support of a person dying of cancer

Still others don't give a reason

I have not done a lot of checking after the auctions have ended

So, I can't say if the coins are selling for more, less, or about the same

Selected items have gone for big bucks, but those are ususlly the "hot" (popular) ones

A few others that I have happened to watch have not sold at all (no bids)

Does all of the additional coins say anything ?

Getting funds for the holidays ?

A surge of interest in coins ?

People who have grown weary of collecting, and are exiting the hobby ?

If there is a trend, I am not able to see it, or what it's direction might be . . .

afaic, the whole idea of a trackable collectible is at odds with itself, which is why coins travel for awhile and then go 'missing'.

they're pretty easy to produce, so people have been making new ones left and right, and when it got to a certain point the early collectors dropped out. to be truly collectible there has to be scarcity, and with new issues coming out all the time, that just isn't the case.