They were caching on Numb3rs!

elmuyloco5

Who saw the first 5 minutes of numb3rs??? They were caching!! My husband and I died laughing!! But what's this "primal key"??? Is this some FTF I haven't heard about!? :rolleyes:

I was watching a Tivo'd Numb3rs when I read your topic...the current Numb3rs was still recording, so I switched over and checked it out. yeah pretty crazy!. How'd he get the altitude right for his cache though? He was on the top of a multi story building when he found the cache...couldn't he have been on the first or 3rd floor and found the same location. Must've been a hint on geocaching.com :o

How'd he get the altitude right for his cache though? He was on the top of a multi story building when he found the cache...couldn't he have been on the first or 3rd floor and found the same location. Must've been a hint on geocaching.com :rolleyes:

I used to have a cache on top of a building that was open on the ground floor (sort of H-shaped). You could be at the coordinates on the ground or on the roof (or any floor in between for that matter).

large RBP game with caching as part of an alternate reality portion...

Not very good but still fun to see someone find a cache :o

I saw the preview commercial, but not the show. It looked like the old T.A.G.: The Assassination Game (anyone remember that?) mixed with caching & maybe D&D..... But then, a 30 second teaser is all I saw. :rolleyes:

We watched it, my wife honestly didn't like this angle, thought that it gave caching a bad name. I wouldn't quite go that far, but I think it greatly distorted it to the unaware.

While it technically was the act of "caching" and they did mention "signature items" and the fact that after the GPS takes you there there's still "15 ft. of inaccuracy" (how they put it, not me), it was supposed to be part of some alternate reality game that has a geocache (in the show they called it "GPS cache") as part of the mix.

People watching it not in the know probably think:

1) That it's a lot geekier than it really is (since you don't see the "out in the woods"/hiking component). I did like though how, like caching itself, it showed people of many different backgrounds into "the game".

2) That people could be lurking waiting to attack you when you find it

3) That you will win big money finding these things.

I know it's a crime show and they have to connect something like this to a crime, but it would've been better if they only had caching, or only this game.

My wife, the family non-cacher, noted that there was no log book in the cache. Then proceded to tease me, because I cache, played several online games, and D&D. All those geeky things that she doesn't understand why I enjoy. I just point out that she's the one who married the geek.

I bet the guy who got pushed off the roof forgot to put the log back in!! :rolleyes:

We had just started watching the show and my husband saw the box and said, "hey honey, look they're caching". We both had a little chuckle and then we hear the guy say, "you found the GPS cache". We had to back it up to listen again.....and then busted out laughing.....good thing we didn't wake the kids!

I don't think it put geocaching in a bad light at all. There was very little reference to GCing at all, it was mostly ARG stuff. And, really, who's gonna watch that show and think that Geocachers go out to kill one another? I doubt anyone would even see ARG that way either. It's just a tv drama after all, it's not like they had some investigative report on Dateline or something. I think it was kinda cool seeing GC in a show, personally.

I just got done watching it online. Interesting show. I bet it gets waaaay too formulaic though.

I thought the best quote was from one of the game players. In the interrogation room she said, "Money is incidental. I get satisfaction from reading signs invisible to the rest of society."

I gotta admit...that's one of the things I really love about this game.

Bret

We were watching it, and my semi non-caching wife said "don't you want to get on chat and talk about it with everyone while you are watching?"

"Naah, there will be a forum thread soon enough" I replied.

At least they didn't bury the cache in this TV show, just the FTF. :D

And who doesn't know what a spillway alarm sound like at this point? Don't TV characters ever watch other TV shows? :laughing:

Edited by wimseyguy

Well, when it came down to it, it wasn't really caching. It was an online alternate reality game, that spilled into the real world a bit. They used gps or other things to go to pre-arranged time sensitive spots to get clues. The container in the beginning was just to leave their signature "tokens" so that others would know who had already been there and gotten the clues.

At first it turned on that light and I was like, "oh my, they're caching!", but then it really wasn't.