Barney got another one.

Looks like Barney got another one thwarting those devious terrorist geocachers. Funny thing is the container, it's contents, and everything in it looked to be placed by a worker or student given the amount site specific items promoting the Arboretum. Even adding further to the deal was a typical Barney comment, "The bug stops here." for the one TB that was in it. I'm guessing it won't be long before they hunt down the others in Wayne County and dispose of them as well even though the parks district knows and approved them from the placers notes. We'll probably end up reading about it in the Daily Record soon enough. Ohh well. :)

Secrest Arboretum

Dead bug.

Looks like Barney got another one thwarting those devious terrorist geocachers. Funny thing is the container, it's contents, and everything in it looked to be placed by a worker or student given the amount site specific items promoting the Arboretum. Even adding further to the deal was a typical Barney comment, "The bug stops here." for the one TB that was in it. I'm guessing it won't be long before they hunt down the others in Wayne County and dispose of them as well even though the parks district knows and approved them from the placers notes. We'll probably end up reading about it in the Daily Record soon enough. Ohh well. :)

Secrest Arboretum

Dead bug.

I seriously doubt that OSU is going to hunt down and remove caches county-wide.

In fact, there's not really much negative with this situation. Seeing that the cache was filled with arboretum stuff, it's placement probably had some level of approval. Given this, I suspect that they will be able to pick up the cache from OSU police and might even be able to rehide it; perhaps using a different container.

Given they took the time to register on site, pick up the bug, and leave a comment with it I wouldn't be shocked if they faxed the other cache locations to the other local authorities to pick them up as well. I guess we'll find out in the upcoming weeks. I would have thought they had permission myself given the nature of the original container being so large (3-5 gal bucket in the open) the new container was a much smaller ammo can hidden under a dead stump. The thing that got us about the cache was it was rated long before the system cause it had a ranking of 1/1 and we had to go quite out of the way and up a steep incline to find it. The wife even missed it for five minutes when we initially found it. It was one of the better hidden caches we've ever found in the area. A random muggle in the area would have had to had sharp eyes unless it wasn't re-hidden as well.

Edited by Sileny Jizda
Given they took the time to register on site, pick up the bug, and leave a comment with it I wouldn't be shocked if they faxed the other cache locations to the other local authorities to pick them up as well. ...
I didn't get that from their post, at all. I thought that it was pretty thoughtful to create an account to log what happened. I also thought it was kind of funny that they posted a pic of their patch. While I think that it's likely that they did a search to see if there were other caches at OSU, I seriously doubt that they are contacting all other local law enforcement agencies to get the word out.
Given they took the time to register on site, pick up the bug, and leave a comment with it I wouldn't be shocked if they faxed the other cache locations to the other local authorities to pick them up as well. ...
I didn't get that from their post, at all. I thought that it was pretty thoughtful to create an account to log what happened. I also thought it was kind of funny that they posted a pic of their patch. While I think that it's likely that they did a search to see if there were other caches at OSU, I seriously doubt that they are contacting all other local law enforcement agencies to get the word out.

I agree; it sounds like they removed it because of the complaint, not because of a hatred toward geocaches. The owner could probably get the cache re-listed with permission from the campus police without too much trouble as long as the container isn't anything military related (just use a lock-n-lock). The fact that some officer took the trouble to create an account and post a log to the TB's page shows a little class.

Yeap, takes class to post, "The bug stops here." playing on the old saying, "The buck stops here." I bet he laughed himself to hysteria thinking that one up. I did find the patch a twisted sense of humor as well. I never implied they hate geocaches either. Just knowing how most law enforcement in the area act, going after other locations wouldn't surprise me. Don't get me wrong we do have a couple good ones around but most seem to be on an egotistical power trip at times. I lost count how many times we were followed for having out of state plates after moving up here from Texas. Changed plates and they ignored us like most of the people running red lights in downtown. :)

Here's another that popped up today with a whopper of a log entry in the book...

"8/18/07

Took: The Box

Left: Bowl with Resin

GET A LIFE"

All The Balls...

Lucky for the owner of the geocoin someone picked it up and placed it in another cache where we retrieved it. Wonder what other kind of odd log entries are out there in caches that get mugged.

Edited by Sileny Jizda

Just emailed the overzealous "officers"... Seems everyone else but them knew about the cache and it's location.

Greetings,

Being one of the individuals in the area that have found this cache in the past I thought I would point out a few interesting facts about the cache that you have removed. First and foremost the cache you removed located at the Secrest Arboretum was placed with their apparent knowledge and consent back in 2002. It was even used as a focal point for several events located at the Arboretum. It would be a shame to have this cache removed because of some misunderstanding. If you wish to check for the information yourself a simple search on Google using the search terms (Secrest Arboretum wooster and geocache) will also present the links below to verify the fact the location was well known to the OSU and AG departments as well as anyone in charge of those areas.

Evidence of this fact is available in numerous locations both on their own the OSU website and in many print publications. The Arboretum website references it at this link...

http://oardc.osu.edu/geocache/

Other evidence to the fact it was placed intentionaly with full knowledge is also found at the following links below.

OSU Extension Release.

http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=2146

Ohio AG OSU Release of geocache

www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~news/files/Twig07-28-02.pdf

OARD Center provides link to geocache page.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/websites.asp

Thanks,

A Fellow Geocacher

Edited by Sileny Jizda

That's awsome work, Sileny. I hope it helps to save this beautiful cache. I don't think the cache owner is active in geocaching any more other than occasional maintenance of this cache, so I figured it was gone for good. It's sad that the dead bug (which I placed there) was a 2nd grader's school project. Pretty cold taking it like that.

It's sad that the dead bug (which I placed there) was a 2nd grader's school project. Pretty cold taking it like that.

I don't live nearby but if I did I might drop by the security office and ask one of the officers if I could grab the bug from them and move it to a new cache off property. It occurs to me that since they took time to log it they might be prepared to help it move along too.

That's awsome work, Sileny. I hope it helps to save this beautiful cache. I don't think the cache owner is active in geocaching any more other than occasional maintenance of this cache, so I figured it was gone for good. It's sad that the dead bug (which I placed there) was a 2nd grader's school project. Pretty cold taking it like that.

The cache owner last visited GC.com yesterday. He's clearly still around.

Let's butt out of the issue and let him handle it.

I'm concerned about the fact that if there is documented evidence that the cache was placed with permission of the university, what right do the campus police have to remove it? Seems to me another case of law enforcement (or in many cases for campus "police", semi-law enforcement) overstepping their authority. What would be the difference between this, and the campus setting a speed limit of 25, but the police choose to give a ticket for 20?

If there is documentation of the cache being permitted there, they should put it back and apologise for the inconvenience they caused by their overzealous actions in violation of permission given for someone to do something.

Hmm- don't see that happening.

I'm concerned about the fact that if there is documented evidence that the cache was placed with permission of the university, what right do the campus police have to remove it? Seems to me another case of law enforcement (or in many cases for campus "police", semi-law enforcement) overstepping their authority. What would be the difference between this, and the campus setting a speed limit of 25, but the police choose to give a ticket for 20?

If there is documentation of the cache being permitted there, they should put it back and apologise for the inconvenience they caused by their overzealous actions in violation of permission given for someone to do something.

I suspect that the cache will be returned to it's owner, who will be allowed to re-place it, if he so desires.

BTW, many university campuses do have their own police forces and they are 'real' police, not security.

I suspect that the cache will be returned to it's owner, who will be allowed to re-place it, if he so desires.

BTW, many university campuses do have their own police forces and they are 'real' police, not security.

Yes, some do - some don't. Many times, the people that are hired to work for Campus "police" forces are wannabe police, who overzealousy enforce minor issues.

I got a response from the pd and it doesn't look good. The 'illegal drug activity' bit is a new one on me. When we were there we saw no evidence of that to that fact but that was months ago. Seems to me that they are coming up with whatever they can to permanently remove it and make something out of it that there isn't. Then again, anything is possible these days. At any rate I'm dropping it since they don't seem all that in a hurry to make right by it. It's a shame because we liked the Arboretum when we found the cache.

I got a response from the pd and it doesn't look good. The 'illegal drug activity' bit is a new one on me. When we were there we saw no evidence of that to that fact but that was months ago. Seems to me that they are coming up with whatever they can to permanently remove it and make something out of it that there isn't. Then again, anything is possible these days. At any rate I'm dropping it since they don't seem all that in a hurry to make right by it. It's a shame because we liked the Arboretum when we found the cache.

Wasn't anything like that when I visited about a month ago either. Some loser probably dropped a roach in it. Wonder if they'd be removing trashcans or flowerpots if they found one in those.

Sounds more like someone needs to do some more checking. Simply stating that they think something might have happened there that was illegal isn't enough to override the permission given by the stated authority. Remember, as I said - police don't have the right to make laws/rules - only to enforce them, except under extreme circumstances.

If you had permission from the authority at the site to place the cache, there isn't a darn thing they can do legally to remove it without a darn good reason, and even so, when when they are shown permission from the authority for the area, they need to give it back (unless it is evidence in a criminal proceeding, which it doesn't appear to be).

First off, fortunately the communications I read on the cache listing and TB page were civil. It looks like campus police (and yes, a lot of university "security guards" are indeed fully authorized police) received a complaint and acted appropriately. By appropriately I mean they did not blow it up. Instead they removed it, brought it to the office, signed up for an account and logged the TB, thereby notifying the TB owner where the TB is. This gives the owner or another cacher an opportunity to come by and pick it up.

The cache in question may very have been placed with full knowledge of OSU personnel. However, that was 5 years ago and I imagine there have been quite a few personnel changes in that time. It is reasonable that the campus police were not aware of the permission.

All that being said, this is something that the cache owner needs to work out with OSU and OSU campus police. I am confident that if the owner wishes to have this cache re-activated that it will probably happen.

I hope, however, that "barney" doesn't read this thread as that will probably make it a bit more difficult for the cache owner to work with them. Calling them names when they are simply carrying out their duties is not conducive to resolving this matter in a positive manner.

What about the TB?

From the way it reads they're holding on the TB until the owner shows up.

Im no fan of anything Ohio State, but do yall think there is anything positive to be gained by referring to the campus police as Barney or the Keystone Cops? Im sure they will go out of their way to help someone who was insulting them. :blink:

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... I was trying to help them out and got an aggressive response back. I've shown the same information to several others that also feel the officer(s) have not acted professional based on their comments and feel they could have chosen their words more professionally. True they didn't blow it up, and I give them credit for that. However, this morning they post 'illegal drug activity' suspicion on the bug page as to the reason it was pulled as well as the container type(understandable). Granted it may be that's the case but I don't think it is given the catch all nature some use the 'drug activity' reason. Honestly, things like this make me hesitant to help anyone else in the future.

Wasn't anything like that when I visited about a month ago either. Some loser probably dropped a roach in it. Wonder if they'd be removing trashcans or flowerpots if they found one in those.

According to the logs on the 3rd and 12th there was no evidence of what the cops are implying either. Then again I guess a lot could happen in 6 days. Who knows. The only other thing I can think of is they swabbed the entire container and contents and got a hit on something that could have been there god knows how long. Looks like this cache bit the dust though. I wonder if the owner of the cache has tried to contact them.

Edited by Sileny Jizda

First off, fortunately the communications I read on the cache listing and TB page were civil. It looks like campus police (and yes, a lot of university "security guards" are indeed fully authorized police) received a complaint and acted appropriately. By appropriately I mean they did not blow it up. Instead they removed it, brought it to the office, signed up for an account and logged the TB, thereby notifying the TB owner where the TB is. This gives the owner or another cacher an opportunity to come by and pick it up.

The cache in question may very have been placed with full knowledge of OSU personnel. However, that was 5 years ago and I imagine there have been quite a few personnel changes in that time. It is reasonable that the campus police were not aware of the permission.

All that being said, this is something that the cache owner needs to work out with OSU and OSU campus police. I am confident that if the owner wishes to have this cache re-activated that it will probably happen.

I hope, however, that "barney" doesn't read this thread as that will probably make it a bit more difficult for the cache owner to work with them. Calling them names when they are simply carrying out their duties is not conducive to resolving this matter in a positive manner.

It seems to me that if they were carrying out their duties, they would have read the note inside the cache (well, the one that is supposed to be there), learned that the cache should have been placed there with permission, checked to see if the appropriate permission had been obtained (which, according to the original cache owner, it was), and left it there when this determination was made.

What they did do was take the cache, and apparently one of them, on his own (I'm sure it's not policy to create accounts on game sites and "play along"), created an account, indicated they removed it, and made it into a joke.

It doesn't seem to me they did do their job. They did what they think is best, rather then doing what was right under the circumstances.

It seems to me that if they were carrying out their duties, they would have read the note inside the cache (well, the one that is supposed to be there), learned that the cache should have been placed there with permission, checked to see if the appropriate permission had been obtained (which, according to the original cache owner, it was), and left it there when this determination was made.

What they did do was take the cache, and apparently one of them, on his own (I'm sure it's not policy to create accounts on game sites and "play along"), created an account, indicated they removed it, and made it into a joke.

It doesn't seem to me they did do their job. They did what they think is best, rather then doing what was right under the circumstances.

According to the note on the bug page, they are in the process of checking whether it was placed with permission. Removing it in the meantime is what I would expect the police to do. The website is the only way they have to contact the owner of the items (having already contacted the Arboretum). Heaven forbid they don't treat a game piece with all the weight of a stolen vehicle or a B&E.

Either the hider knows and will take care of it, or they know and don't care, or they are no longer playing and the cache was orphaned anyway. If the hider does not replace the cache, and if the arb will still grant permission, it's an opportunity for a new cache.

No matter what, they didn't remove the arb. Folks can still visit it.

(All this talk of OSU reminds me, time to update my avatar. Know why the wind blows south in Michigan? :ph34r::blink: )

Im no fan of anything Ohio State, but do yall think there is anything positive to be gained by referring to the campus police as Barney or the Keystone Cops? Im sure they will go out of their way to help someone who was insulting them. :blink:
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... I was trying to help them out and got an aggressive response back. I've shown the same information to several others that also feel the officer(s) have not acted professional based on their comments and feel they could have chosen their words more professionally. True they didn't blow it up, and I give them credit for that. However, this morning they post 'illegal drug activity' suspicion on the bug page as to the reason it was pulled as well as the container type(understandable). Granted it may be that's the case but I don't think it is given the catch all nature some use the 'drug activity' reason. Honestly, things like this make me hesitant to help anyone else in the future.
No offense, but you jumped into this thread with a pretty straightfoward anti-law enforcement position. I am not surprised that they didn't fumble all over themselves to accomodate you.

Once again, the cache owner is not MIA. Let's let him handle it.

No offense, but you jumped into this thread with a pretty straightfoward anti-law enforcement position. I am not surprised that they didn't fumble all over themselves to accomodate you.

Once again, the cache owner is not MIA. Let's let him handle it.

Of all the cops I've known I can count the good ones on one hand. Just my experience in having to call on them for help.

I thought I would give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I never expected them to 'fumble all over themselves' as you so eloquently put it. I provided information regarding the cache I thought they would find helpful only to receive responses in an even more aggressive tone than they posted initially. Now all of a sudden they are using a 'drug activity' story via the tb page? Please. All I expected was some manner of professionalism on their part which they have not shown since jump in all of their posts. I've never said the owner was mia, instead only offered information that I would think they would use to help things along. Stupid me for thinking they would like some additional information. It's much easier to let them assume something that may not be accurate. Thus my reasoning of why bother in any future events regarding anything.

Just for kicks since you seem so bothered by it, sbell111....You're right about everything, I'm wrong about everything. What the heck was I thinking for even attempting to help them in any way, shape, or form. Stupid me.I'll never ever call anyone with a badge Barney or keystone again, including you. After all we know every single badge wearing individual is perfect and flawless. Does that make you feel better now? :ph34r:

True the Arboretum is still there. Would I put a cache in that location? Not in a hundred years. With a reaction like they had it's not worth the time, effort, or investment given that it'd probably happen again. That's why I try to stick to locations where I know the owner enough to explain, show, and place the container if large enough to have the above problem. And people wonder why micro's abound everywhere.

Here's a thought on the bug though... :blink:

Name: "Maura's flower power"

Assumptive power of reasoning of the name: Flower Power=Hippies Hippies=Weed Weed='illegal drug activity' or Willie Nelson whichever comes to mind first.

:)

Edited by Sileny Jizda

Looks like the owner got in contact or they verified the information provided we provided. First time I've ever seen a bug arrested. :blink: Wonder what happened to the illegal drug bit though? Via the TB page this information posted...

The Travel Bug's home is going to get a new paint job and some external markings to make it easier for people to identify. It is my understanding that it will be returned to its original location once that has been done. Perhaps with the improvements the general public won't think it is a bomb the next time someone see it....

Post via the cache page...

August 21 by Team Lohnes (38 found)

I retrieved the geocache from the police. In this crazy post 9/11 world we live in someone thought it was a bomb. To be safe we are going to paint it purple and stencil the side with a description. Hopefully we will have it back in operation when it finally stops raining in Wooster.

All is well.

Edited by Sileny Jizda

And there has never been a purple bomb?

Again, even though this sounds like it is came to a very good conclusion, I think the police overreacted. They could have followed my steps, rather than taking the cache. If they were concerned it was a bomb, they should have blown it up if it was found to be, and if it wasn't, there was no reason to take it.

Where did stolen cars come into this? How is a stolen car like this? I would think it is more like a mailbox that is placed somewhere new. Would the police come, based on some citizen saying it looked suspicious since it wasn't there before, and remove the mailbox until they contacted the post office to confirm that it was a real mailbox and it was supposed to be there, or would they leave it, contact the post office, and go from there?

I guess "Barney" got it right, must have been all that work you put in SJ :ph34r::):blink:

Sounds like the owner contacted the LEO and they worked it all out. Since it had nothing to do with you SJ (other than you participate in this sport), they probably brushed you off as they do those that ask question after question at a crime scene (go away son, you're bothering me).

I'm guessing it would be best to keep LEOs on our good side....like them or not, they could make things rough for caching if they so desired.

How dare sbell call it right.... :)

Again, even though this sounds like it is came to a very good conclusion, I think the police overreacted. They could have followed my steps, rather than taking the cache. If they were concerned it was a bomb, they should have blown it up if it was found to be, and if it wasn't, there was no reason to take it.

Where did stolen cars come into this? How is a stolen car like this? I would think it is more like a mailbox that is placed somewhere new. Would the police come, based on some citizen saying it looked suspicious since it wasn't there before, and remove the mailbox until they contacted the post office to confirm that it was a real mailbox and it was supposed to be there, or would they leave it, contact the post office, and go from there?

:blink::ph34r::)

Mailboxes are placed by those entrusted souls known to the LEOs, a bit different here, ya think? Given they had a complaint, I'd say they did OK. But, maybe you should send them your operating procedure so they will truly get it right next time. :)

:blink::ph34r::)

Mailboxes are placed by those entrusted souls known to the LEOs, a bit different here, ya think? Given they had a complaint, I'd say they did OK. But, maybe you should send them your operating procedure so they will truly get it right next time. :)

What if, quite possibly, someone placed a fake mailbox somewhere? I guarantee that the police aren't normally there if a mailbox is placed, moved, or removed. So how do they know?

Lets try something less federal. What about a newspaper sales box? What about a "Free Circulation" type of magazine container? What about one of those funny shaped stands you put cigarettes in outside of buildings? How many of these would the police come up to and remove because "someone" called and thought they weren't supposed to be there? I'd be a little upset if I placed one of those, and someone thought it shouldn't be there, and the cops removed it without trying to find out if it was legit first...

My guess....if the paper box or magazine container DIDN'T have the product they were supposed to have, were questionable in any way (much like this cache was to someone) and made someone uncomfortable enough to call the police, they'd take action. Since the containers you mention are considerably larger than an ammo box, they might not take them, but they would investigate.

Assuring the item in question had permission to be placed where it was placed seems like the proper course of action to me, taking the cache may not have been the BEST possible action, but they did OK. Keep in mind that someone complained about this cache....

also keep in mind we're talking about two completely different items here. A money making venture (as I'd guess any circulation box would be) would likely be identified with someone's name on them, a business name etc...simple to determine who owns that, isn't it.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

My guess....if the paper box or magazine container DIDN'T have the product they were supposed to have, were questionable in any way (much like this cache was to someone) and made someone uncomfortable enough to call the police, they'd take action. Since the containers you mention are considerably larger than an ammo box, they might not take them, but they would investigate.

Assuring the item in question had permission to be placed where it was placed seems like the proper course of action to me, taking the cache may not have been the BEST possible action, but they did OK. Keep in mind that someone complained about this cache....

also keep in mind we're talking about two completely different items here. A money making venture (as I'd guess any circulation box would be) would likely be identified with someone's name on them, a business name etc...simple to determine who owns that, isn't it.

Many of these small plastic boxes contain free house guides, or free classified ad magazines. What if there was a small one?

I'm saying they should have done more investigation. If I complain that a neighbor's plant is growing onto my property, the police don't come and remove the plant for further investigation. They check into what is going on. Obviously they weren't scared of it, or they wouldn't have taken it with them - they would have had it blown up.

The notes left on the TB and cache pages seemed to me to say the LEO WERE investigating and that was how they got that far. Possibly, there wasn't any identification on this, no cache ID page in the container.

Maybe all that mentions caching is the website and cache name written on the inside cover of the logbook. If the LEO had no idea this was a cache, it'd likely look like someone's trash (no offense meant to the items in the container) or possibly a homeless child's life collection.

It's possible the LEOs had no idea what they had until they read the dogtag on the TB. But, how would they have read that unless they took it with them and investigated further (unless you'd rather they'd have taped off the area and sat there for however long it took them to find the tag, called it in and had it checked out and then waited for someone to let them know what the sport is all about).

BTW...they wouldn't leave a box of ammo laying about while they investigated...and that's what this probably looked like to some concerned citizen(s)

Stupid me.I'll never ever call anyone with a badge Barney or keystone again, including you. After all we know every single badge wearing individual is perfect and flawless.

It's OK, you can call *me* Keystone. Oh, and thanks for the compliment! :laughing:

I'll be happy to unarchive the cache when the owner gets everything straightened out.

My stolen cars analogy was in reaction to your offense at the lightness with which the cop treated it:

Heaven forbid they don't treat a game piece with all the weight of a stolen vehicle or a B&E.

Clearer?

It's not like a stolen car. Nor is it like a mailbox or paper box. To anyone unaware of geocaching, it's a box full of junk in a flower garden, and it doesn't belong. It's more like this: I (the arb people) go on vacation and tell the police (the police) to watch my house (the arb). I neglect to tell the police that a friend (the hider) would be coming by with a van (the cache) to pick up an old couch. When the cops see this, unless my friend has good evidence that they should be there (permission form in the cache), he's probably at least sitting in the car until they get a hold of me. He's certainly not going to be allowed to keep what's in the van.

The cop did what s/he should have. The hider did what s/he should have. Everyone else should have left it alone. There are real abuses of power going on in the world if anyone is that concerned.

I'm still trying to figure out how it went from a suspicious container, to had drugs, it coulda been a bomb (smart one there picking it up, taking it to headquarters, then opening it), to it's okay the drugs are fine (or never really existed) just paint it purple and know one will think it's a bomb. Funny how they'll take an 'anonymous' report of drugs in the middle of the woods but disregard any actual helpful information about something that pertains to the situation.

On a lighter note. Since the cache was in their custody could it be claimed the cache and the bug were technically 'arrested'? After all it was in a lockup. :laughing: :laugh:

I tell you clear lock n locks look better and better every day.

Talk about a cache with some real history in it.

It's OK, you can call *me* Keystone. Oh, and thanks for the compliment! ;)

I'll just call ya 'boss' unless it sounds to 'institutional'. :laughing:

Edited by Sileny Jizda