Females - Solo Caching, how to stay safe

leftover

excuse me?

did this stray over from a thread on what's really offensive?

i live, hike, bike (road and mountain), paddle, ski, and snowshoe alone. i have no dog. when i drive i am usually alone. sometimes i commute by bike (25 miles each way).

i am a small woman and do not run fast, even when i'm in good shape.

i often cache alone, sleeping in my car for days at a time.

i have come across meth labs, moose wallows, fallen into swamps up to my armpits in winter temperatures, fallen onto rocks head down, locked my keys in my car after stripping down to my inside layers during a snowstorm, gotten stuck, met bear, been run over by a truck, been struck by lightning, hiked or skated multiple miles while bleeding freely, gotten dehydrated, contracted lyme and giardia, gotten stalked and detained by police.

i can bulid a fire in the rain. i have eaten roadkill. i know what earthworms taste like. i know that cattails are tasty and nutritious. i know how to make stone knives. i can crack a vigenere by hand, and recognize a playfair on sight. i give gifts to strangers. i share my food with the homeless. i have turned left on a bicycle in traffic at forty miles and hour while applying lip balm.

i have escaped death more times than i can count and i have stared the devil himself in the face.

i do not carry a weapon.

i am not afraid.

Can I be your friend and grasshopper-in-training???? (says the female member of Team Brewster)

As I had mentioned earlier it has been quite a while since I have been in Germany. Most of the time spent in Berlin. They do have a pretty big forest there. I was there before Geocaching even came about. Sometimes I was armed (military) sometimes I was out hiking on my own or mountain biking. Never had any problems with anyone that I ran into. The problems I always had was with the wild boars. They don't care who you are they will charge at you and won't quit. A good wack to the head with a walking stick will put a stop to them. At least it did for me.

I think what everyone has been trying to say is to be aware of your surroundings, keep your cool and act like you own the place. The way you carry yourself could mean all the difference in the world.

For the life of me, I can't see a reason for a female in this day and age hiking, bike riding, geocaching or whatever, in relatively isolated locations. I don't care what defensive skills and weapons you might be carryng. Though I admit packing a 9mm semi-auto in plain view would likely deter a high percentage of potential attackers. I also believe that some would consider it a challenge.

All in all................why do it? There are ubran areas that I would not purposefully drive thru in daylight hours much less after dark. Areas where having a flat tire can result in life endangering encounters with the local inhabitants are wise to avoid.

Individual females testing their luck in similar situations is not very smart.

excuse me?

i live, hike, bike (road and mountain), paddle, ski, and snowshoe alone. i have no dog. when i drive i am usually alone. sometimes i commute by bike (25 miles each way).

i have come across meth labs, moose wallows, fallen into swamps up to my armpits in winter temperatures, fallen onto rocks head down, locked my keys in my car after stripping down to my inside layers during a snowstorm, gotten stuck, met bear, been run over by a truck, been struck by lightning, hiked or skated multiple miles while bleeding freely, gotten dehydrated, contracted lyme and giardia, gotten stalked and detained by police.

i can bulid a fire in the rain. i have eaten roadkill. i know what earthworms taste like. i know that cattails are tasty and nutritious. i know how to make stone knives. i can crack a vigenere by hand, and recognize a playfair on sight. i give gifts to strangers. i share my food with the homeless. i have turned left on a bicycle in traffic at forty miles and hour while applying lip balm.

i have escaped death more times than i can count and i have stared the devil himself in the face.

i do not carry a weapon.

i am not afraid.

Excellent post, excellent points, and your thoughts mirror mine. Life is to be lived, not feared, and the more we fear things, the more we tend to attract them to us. And, speaking of the really offensive posts, yes, where did the alarmists come from? Out of what woodwork did they crawl?

For the life of me, I can't see a reason for a female in this day and age hiking, bike riding, geocaching or whatever, in relatively isolated locations. I don't care what defensive skills and weapons you might be carryng. Though I admit packing a 9mm semi-auto in plain view would likely deter a high percentage of potential attackers. I also believe that some would consider it a challenge.

All in all................why do it? There are ubran areas that I would not purposefully drive thru in daylight hours much less after dark. Areas where having a flat tire can result in life endangering encounters with the local inhabitants are wise to avoid.

Individual females testing their luck in similar situations is not very smart.

excuse me?

i do not carry a weapon.

i am not afraid.

Excellent post, excellent points, and your thoughts mirror mine. Life is to be lived, not feared, and the more we fear things, the more we tend to attract them to us. And, speaking of the really offensive posts, yes, where did the alarmists come from? Out of what woodwork did they crawl?

Being fearful is one thing, being foolish is quite another. I try very hard to not confuse the two. :blink:

it was the rampant sexism that caught my attention.

before you call me foolish you should understand that more than once a would-be attacker has turned from me and run.

i am a small middle aged woman with no special skills and no weapons.

i had to ask one guy if he was willing to keep beating on me until he killed me, and whether or not he was prepared to accept the kind of damage i was going to do to him in the meantime. "you'll win the fight", i told him, "but i'm going to hurt you."

he got back in his van and sped off.

what i have is attitude. and i'm tougher than boiled owls.

before you call me foolish you should understand that more than once a would-be attacker has turned from me and run.

i had to ask one guy if he was willing to keep beating on me until he killed me, and whether or not he was prepared to accept the kind of damage i was going to do to him in the meantime. "you'll win the fight", i told him, "but i'm going to hurt you."

It was two things that caught my attention about some of the posts in this thread. One was the sexism, and the other was the amazing level of fear at being alive and at being in the world. Wow!

It is not you that is foolish, just the advice that you and others at times give. This is one of those times. :blink::ph34r::)

And yes, you are in fact a really baaaaaddd female.

That man was Chuck Norris.

It is not you that is foolish, just the advice that you and others at times give. This is one of those times. :ph34r::):)

You're right. Flask shouldn't enjoy her life. She should either live in a cave or marry a big bad male who can protect her. Thanks for the advice!

:blink:

...You're right. Flask shouldn't enjoy her life. She should either live in a cave or marry a big bad male who can protect her. Thanks for the advice!

Most all advice given in this thread is valid for both XX and XY.

That aside, reality is simple. All other things being equal the stronger and/or bigger person wins.

Sometimes life is about making it so that all other things are not equal.

Please note: there is nothing in that statement changes if you as a man or woman find yourself facing someone who is stronger and/or bigger.

This rule has nothing to do with enjoying life. It's just a fact, luck not withstanding.

...You're right. Flask shouldn't enjoy her life. She should either live in a cave or marry a big bad male who can protect her. Thanks for the advice!

That aside, reality is simple. All other things being equal the stronger and/or bigger person wins.

Please note: there is nothing in that statement changes if you as a man or woman find yourself facing someone who is stronger and/or bigger.

This rule has nothing to do with enjoying life. It's just a fact, luck not withstanding.

"All other things being equal the stronger and/or bigger person wins." Can we assume that that includes the number and size of any weapons that my just happen to be lying around? I mean not that someone would ever use a weapon against someone out by themselves on a trail with no other persons around. No, I can't imagine a situation where such a thing can or would ever possibly happen.

Ok, I’ll jump in :blink: . I feel that you project a lot of your stance and position by how you carry yourself. There are victims everywhere. Next time you are out at the mall, shopping or where ever stop and look at the people around you. Think to yourself if there was one and only one individual you were going to attack who would you choose to be your victim. Mmmmm the weak and the sick – just like a predator hunting for dinner. Victims come in all shapes & sizes some tast better than others :ph34r:

Some folks carry themselves in a very confident manner. They are aware of their surroundings, what they have with them and who is around them. This is something I can see when I look at people. If you project a strong and confident posture people will see this and take a mental note, they may still approach you, as long as your confidence carries over to your conversation they may rethink their attack or what ever they had on their mind.

There was this little old man years ago; he was in a public bathroom. I entered and his back was to me and I just stood there watching him count out over $1500 on the counter. He never turned to look at me nor did he even acknowledge that he knew I was there. Nobody was in the bathroom with us; one swift blow and the money could have been mine.

Hold your head high and know who and what is around you and use common sense.

Ok, I’ll jump in :ph34r: . I feel that you project a lot of your stance and position by how you carry yourself. There are victims everywhere. Next time you are out at the mall, shopping or where ever stop and look at the people around you. Think to yourself if there was one and only one individual you were going to attack who would you choose to be your victim. Mmmmm the weak and the sick – just like a predator hunting for dinner. Victims come in all shapes & sizes some tast better than others :)

Some folks carry themselves in a very confident manner. They are aware of their surroundings, what they have with them and who is around them. This is something I can see when I look at people. If you project a strong and confident posture people will see this and take a mental note, they may still approach you, as long as your confidence carries over to your conversation they may rethink their attack or what ever they had on their mind.

There was this little old man years ago; he was in a public bathroom. I entered and his back was to me and I just stood there watching him count out over $1500 on the counter. He never turned to look at me nor did he even acknowledge that he knew I was there. Nobody was in the bathroom with us; one swift blow and the money could have been mine.

Well there you go.............the exception makes the rule, again. Astounding. :blink::(:)

this is how baaaaad i really am:

i teach middle school music.

That is INSANE! That is TOTALLY GROSS! Aside from it being morally repugnant, isn't that TOTALLY against the law? You are ONE VERRY SICK PUPPY!

Good Grief!!! What is she gonna say about me? I'm a 50+ grandfather who writes 3 different grade school classes letters about my travels. :blink::ph34r::)

Trucker Buddy. We're all not unwashed weirdos!

this is how baaaaad i really am:

i teach middle school music.

That is INSANE! That is TOTALLY GROSS! Aside from it being morally repugnant, isn't that TOTALLY against the law? You are ONE VERRY SICK PUPPY!

Good Grief!!! What is she gonna say about me? I'm a 50+ grandfather who writes 3 different grade school classes letters about my travels. :laughing::laughing:;)

Trucker Buddy. We're all not unwashed weirdos!

Well for one thing, writing letters is a little different from teaching in middle school.

It is not you that is foolish, just the advice that you and others at times give. This is one of those times. :laughing::D:D

You're right. Flask shouldn't enjoy her life. She should either live in a cave or marry a big bad male who can protect her. Thanks for the advice!

:laughing:

:D:D:D:D;) Good points! Thanks for summing up all the insanity so well! :)

I'm more worried about meeting someone in a mall parking lot vs. the woods. I always have my dog with me in the woods; I cache solo about 70% of the time. The dog would protect me with her life; she's 14 and starting to slow down. I don't want to get another dog afterwards, so I'll have to start meeting other cachers. I take kickboxing, not really for the self defense aspect but for the cardio aspect. I haven't ever had to use it on anything other than a punching bag and hope I won't - but I'm prepared.

I object to the sexism in this thread. I am independent, hopefully know how to handle myself in a bad situation, and I'm not going to let the fear of anything (but snakes) scare me off!

Flask, your comments have inspired me. Thank you!

..."All other things being equal the stronger and/or bigger person wins." Can we assume that that includes the number and size of any weapons that my just happen to be lying around? I mean not that someone would ever use a weapon against someone out by themselves on a trail with no other persons around. No, I can't imagine a situation where such a thing can or would ever possibly happen.

That would not be a good assumption. For every quote there is an equal and opposite quote. In this case it's. "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal." Weapons are one of the tools that make it so that things are not equal. Guns in particular remove the size and strength issue.

:laughing:

Very well said.

I'm more worried about meeting someone in a mall parking lot vs. the woods. I always have my dog with me in the woods; I cache solo about 70% of the time. The dog would protect me with her life; she's 14 and starting to slow down. I don't want to get another dog afterwards, so I'll have to start meeting other cachers. I take kickboxing, not really for the self defense aspect but for the cardio aspect. I haven't ever had to use it on anything other than a punching bag and hope I won't - but I'm prepared.

I object to the sexism in this thread. I am independent, hopefully know how to handle myself in a bad situation, and I'm not going to let the fear of anything (but snakes) scare me off!

Having a 'guard' dog along, even a slow one is hardly being alone. Nice to see that you have realized the deficiencies of an aging guard dog and now have a plan to buddy with other cachers for your solo caching adventures. A really great plan.

Edited by Team Cotati

Having a 'guard' dog along, even a slow one is hardly being alone. Nice to see that you have realized the deficiencies of an aging guard dog and now have a plan to buddy with other cachers for your solo caching adventures. A really great plan.

:laughing: I cache a lot solo. I also cache a lot with others, and not because I feel the need to have some big strong male protect me. Sheesh.

In fact, this weekend, I'm taking off on a solo 12 county caching spree through a lot of northern Nebraska. Not my first. Won't be my last.

:D I cache a lot solo. I also cache a lot with others, and not because I feel the need to have some big strong male protect me. Sheesh.

In fact, this weekend, I'm taking off on a solo 12 county caching spree through a lot of northern Nebraska. Not my first. Won't be my last.

And how exactly, is it that you know this?: "Won't be my last." :laughing:;):laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati

As for the common sense thing I'm having a heck of a time not knowing german and all, but if an area doesn't look right to me, I won't cache it. The most recent thing I can think of was when I parked near my location, and there was a car just sitting there, out in the wilderness, with two male occupants doing nothing but staring at me as I came in. Silly enough, I got out of my car, acted like I didn't notice them, but after a few minutes of walking I looked back towards my car and they were still staring. It unnerved me so much I turned around and parked on the other side of the park, farther away from the cache, but with much more people. They were probably just wondering what the heck I was doing out there, just as much I was wondering about them, but in these cases it's better safe than sorry I say.

I just have to put in my two cents. I am a survivor of a violent crime. It happened 16 years ago, when I was recently out of high school. I am now more aware of my surroundings, and I have learned to trust my gut. It sounds like leftover has gotten the good advice, and avoided the bad. I'm very glad for that.

As for myself, I don't feel comfortable caching alone, but I have the good fortune to have a husband who enjoys caching as much as I do, so I don't have to go alone. He's also a big guy...former Marine...if we were to walk into a situation that got ugly, he is very well trained and would give a bad guy a run for his money.

For other women looking for tips, I think the best ones are:

• be aware of your surroundings, if it doesn't feel right, don't go there
  • project a confident attitude, predators (the human kind) are looking for easy targets mostly, if you don't look like a victim, you probably won't be one.
  • if you plan on taking a self-defense course, it will only be useful if you practice it regularly...otherwise it won't come to you as an instinct when you need it

Have fun caching, just don't set yourself up to be a victim.

I also cache solo the majority of the time...and more often than not, if I have helpers, it's my 2yo and my 4yo. I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but I don't let that lead me to a false sense of security b/c it's been years since I practiced.

I carry myself with confidence (and a cellphone) and I am aware of my surroundings. If I am unfamiliar with an area, I'll often circle in my car before finally parking and getting out.

I know there is danger out there, but I am not going to wait until I have a big bad male caching buddy to "help" me out (hubby is Army and often not home).

I get the feeling from reading this (and other topics) that the perception by Americans of the chance of violent attack while out caching in America, is about 100 times higher than the perception by Europeans of the chance of violent attack while out caching in Europe. (My feeling is that both groups probably overestimate the risk, in each case to a degree which is partly a function of what local TV news chooses to talk about.)

Leftover, just get out there in the fine, safe German countryside and beautiful German towns, and go for those caches. Very occasionally in a larger town, you might see a drunk. Ignore him or her. No, you shouldn't cache down a dark alley at 2am in Hamburg or Berlin. Otherwise, trust me, nothing bad is going to happen to you at the hands of any other vertebrate.

But please make sure you get a tick-borne encephalitis innoculation this fall, and ensure you know the basic precautions to minimise the risk of Lyme disease. You really do have a small, but non-vanishingly small, risk of coming to harm there.

Though I have yet to be attacked, I have had unwanted "company" when geocaching, or even just going places on my own like getting from my car to the coffee house. Day or night, male or female, doesn't matter! You are at risk. Sure, it's not a high risk, but I do believe it's better to be prepared and NEVER get attacked than not be prepared and then one day being attacked.

I carry a pocket knife with me at all times (unless I'm at a theme park or airport of course)

I have asthma so I try to keep that on me if I have to our run someone I'll need to be able to breathe

basic first aid items if hiking or driving outside the city

In my car I keep a hatchet and a heavy duty flash light which can both be used as a weapon if I must.

And really, just stay alert. Taking a basic self defense class and going to it at least once a year is a help also!

One thing I do is everywhere I go, I look at what's around me. My knife may not always be in reach, pepper spray doesn't always work (whether expired, or if the attacker is not bothered enough by pepper spray to stop attacking you). What's around me that could be used as a weapon of self defense? I'm at a desk and someone breaks into my house or I forgot a door was unlocked and he came in. He grabs me from behind....what do I do? A pens in reach! So I'd grab that and use it as a knife/dagger basically. Sure, it's a rather violent way of thinking, but not in a bad way. This is a good way of thinking because it will keep you alive if you are ever attacked.

forgot a door was unlocked and he came in.

locked door? piffle.

i take naps in public parks.

and why does everyone seem to assume attackers will be men?

why is everyone here so afraid to be living? this siege mentality has got to go. alertness. hah. i'm alert, but i'm not especially looking for intruders ans assailants.

oooh, look. a pretty flower. an interesting bug. reflection on water. you bet i'm alert.

here are some scenarios. what do you do?

1. it is two am. you have just ordered french fries and gravy to go from a service window downtown in the largest city in your state. a large bad-smelling homeless man approaches you.

2. you're driving on a remote country road near a hiking trail. you come to an intersection where there is a dirty young man carrying a heavy pack.

3. you find a piece of paper on your windshield. it's supposedly an invitation to a party at the house of someone you have never heard of.

4. you're sitting alone at a bar and biker guy with scars on his face sits down at your table.

5. a stocky young man runs up to you in a public parking lot and asks you if you have an extra innertube for his bike.

6. it's after midnight and it's snowing hard. you live alone, far from town and pretty far from your nearest neighbors. someone is banging on your door.

...and why does everyone seem to assume attackers will be men?...

Because most often they will be.

It's one of those natural laws. I don't recall the name. Pick a bell curve most any bell curve. Men tend to occupy the extremes at a higher rate than women. Smartest of the Smart, dumbest of the dumb. More likely to fight crime, and do crime blah blah blah.

Doesn't mean a woman won't do any of those things.

1. it is two am. you have just ordered french fries and gravy to go from a service window downtown in the largest city in your state. a large bad-smelling homeless man approaches you.

Well, I recon I listen to what he's bout to say.

2. you're driving on a remote country road near a hiking trail. you come to an intersection where there is a dirty young man carrying a heavy pack.

I assume he just got back from a long hike.

3. you find a piece of paper on your windshield. it's supposedly an invitation to a party at the house of someone you have never heard of.

Stupid Litter.

4. you're sitting alone at a bar and biker guy with scars on his face sits down at your table.

Ask him about his bike.

5. a stocky young man runs up to you in a public parking lot and asks you if you have an extra innertube for his bike.

Sorry dude, no such luck.

6. it's after midnight and it's snowing hard. you live alone, far from town and pretty far from your nearest neighbors. someone is banging on your door.

Look and see who it is. My wife has my back.

Ok, I’ll jump in :D . I feel that you project a lot of your stance and position by how you carry yourself. There are victims everywhere. Next time you are out at the mall, shopping or where ever stop and look at the people around you. Think to yourself if there was one and only one individual you were going to attack who would you choose to be your victim. Mmmmm the weak and the sick – just like a predator hunting for dinner. Victims come in all shapes & sizes some tast better than others :tongue:

Yeah but remember thw WWII Marine that was a Golden Glove? He beat the crap out of the guy that tried to pick pocket him. Now the guy thought he was an easy target too.

Ok, I’ll jump in :D . I feel that you project a lot of your stance and position by how you carry yourself. There are victims everywhere. Next time you are out at the mall, shopping or where ever stop and look at the people around you. Think to yourself if there was one and only one individual you were going to attack who would you choose to be your victim. Mmmmm the weak and the sick – just like a predator hunting for dinner. Victims come in all shapes & sizes some tast better than others :tongue:

Yeah but remember thw WWII Marine that was a Golden Glove? He beat the crap out of the guy that tried to pick pocket him. Now the guy thought he was an easy target too.

Tell me, was he fast enough with that gold glove to catch a 9mm......mid-air?

here are the correct answers:

sit on a park bench with him and split the fries.

take him not only to the trailhead, but out of your way to a grocery store where he can restock his supplies.

go to the party. the host always invites one total stranger. this time it's you. when you get there, you discover that you know some of the guests already.

buy him a drink.

give him an innertube and let him use your tools. later when he asks "do you want to see my view?", you go with him and he takes you on an illegal mountainbike trail that comes out on a ledge overlooking the entire city of montreal. the sky is blue, and since it is four o'clock in the afternoon, chruch bells around you start to ring.

let her in. she's sick and has just wrecked her car nearby. if you don't let her in, she will die pretty soon.

Just now found and finished reading this thread which comes at an appropriate time for me. I was out geocaching by myself in a huge, safe, urban park in the middle of a Saturday afternoon. I had my dog with me, but she is very small and was there for fun and not protection. I didn't find the cache and as I was walking back to my car, the thought came to me that if I came across someone out here...it might not be a good thing because it was about a mile back to the car and fairly isolated. 2 days later, it was reported that the very next day, a woman was attacked and raped in the very area where I was. It did kind of unnerve me, but I refuse to be afraid to do anything I choose to do. I do have a gun and I start my concealed carry class this Wednesday so I can be legal. I am not going to stop hiking, geocaching, biking or whatever by myself because of fear but I don't want to leave myself unprotected, either. More than likely, I will carry pepper spray and I am stay aware of my surroundings. I mean, there are some areas I would never go into at any time of day or night and only an idiot would, but for the most part I will go where I want and when I want.

If I can run away, I will. But if I have to fight, like Flask, I am going to inflict as much damage as I can. I am not going to be afraid to live my life and I will go down fighting for it. I have survived 3 different cancers so far and I didn't fight them to be afraid of living.

Just when I thought that this insanity couldn't become more halarious. Astounding.

Yes, it'd become so much saner of a world if women everywhere cowered and hid indoors all the time.

But then we wouldn't be able to amuse Team Cotati. :D What do we do? Someone tell me what to do!

Someone tell me what to do!

get yourself one o' them head-to-toe pretty little frocks; the kind where only your eyes show. leave the house only under the company of a male relative, and only with appropriate weapons.

the insanity, oh, the insanity of women thinking for a moment that they are capable of activity in this day and age.

do not travel.

do not talk to strangers.

do not go outside.

be afraid.

be very afraid.

Ok, ok....I admit it, I was wrong. Not only could it get more halarious, it in fact did. :anitongue::anitongue::anitongue:

do you ever meet someone and know that they don't realize that they ARE the joke?

keep laughing, pal. we're laughing with at you.

your quaint little ideas about women and danger are, i suspect, somehow related to your avatar which somehow seems to stop just before it gets to what i assume are the little teeny bits.

no, seriously. most of the idiotic rhetoric about women being unprotected in "this day and age" (yikes! it's such a big, bad world out there!) comes not from women, but from men. really, boys, are you so afraid of what will happen if you have to re-examine your role as our protectors?

i can't speak for the rest of us over here in the girls' locker room, but i don't need protecting.

when you have been hit by lightning, run over by a truck, stalked by a predator, been covered with chemical burns, had anaphylaxis, strider reaction, stevens-johnson syndrome, been threatened by moose, lost on a firing range, descended a class V rapid in a two-man raft, gone over handlebars at 30 MPH AND you know how to spell "hilarious", you may speak to me about how much protection i need.

until such time, little man, you may keep laughing, but you may not come into my presence. i have no patience for such as you.

you can go over there and look for intruders. me, i'm too busy. i spent my afternoon watching out for loose gravel on the four-cross course. and i saw a really cool mushroom. and i managed not to run over a cute little snake. i talked to strangers. i changed clothes in a parking lot. i had a nap in a public building.

i go where i please. i will probably die young, but i'll have a really great time between now and then. my body will simply wear out long before some imaginary assailant gets me.

i am not afraid.

Okay, now I know Team Cotati is just trying to push people's buttons and tick them off. So I'm done with this thread. I've got a solo trip to plan.

oh, noooooo. don't go. we were having such a good time.

please keep coming back. i'd be afraid to face all the halarity [sic] by myself.

Ok, ok....I admit it, I was wrong. Not only could it get more halarious, it in fact did. :anitongue::laughing::anitongue:

do you ever meet someone and know that they don't realize that they ARE the joke?

keep laughing, pal. we're laughing with at you.

your quaint little ideas about women and danger are, i suspect, somehow related to your avatar which somehow seems to stop just before it gets to what i assume are the little teeny bits.

no, seriously. most of the idiotic rhetoric about women being unprotected in "this day and age" (yikes! it's such a big, bad world out there!) comes not from women, but from men. really, boys, are you so afraid of what will happen if you have to re-examine your role as our protectors?

i can't speak for the rest of us over here in the girls' locker room, but i don't need protecting.

when you have been hit by lightning, run over by a truck, stalked by a predator, been covered with chemical burns, had anaphylaxis, strider reaction, stevens-johnson syndrome, been threatened by moose, lost on a firing range, descended a class V rapid in a two-man raft, gone over handlebars at 30 MPH AND you know how to spell "hilarious", you may speak to me about how much protection i need.

until such time, little man, you may keep laughing, but you may not come into my presence. i have no patience for such as you.

you can go over there and look for intruders. me, i'm too busy. i spent my afternoon watching out for loose gravel on the four-cross course. and i saw a really cool mushroom. and i managed not to run over a cute little snake. i talked to strangers. i changed clothes in a parking lot. i had a nap in a public building.

i go where i please. i will probably die young, but i'll have a really great time between now and then. my body will simply wear out long before some imaginary assailant gets me.

i am not afraid.

Ok, you win, I promise to never ever protect you no matter what might happen. Ever. <_<:anitongue::laughing:

BTW, exactly what makes a mushroom...."cool"?