How about a real puzzle cointest?

moscow32

We WENT caching, lol! A 4 step multi was completed today, but we still can't figure out the puzzle :unsure:

Alms, alms for the poor *holding hands out in a begging posture for a hint*

I found a 4 stage multi also, but I had to phone a friend on 2 of the steps. I couldn't find any of the stages, just the final!

Can I have extra bonus points for the phone a friend? Pretty please?

what have you tried as the key?

I'm guessing youv'e tried Moscow & thirty-two.

How about delicious or cache?

per the 2nd clue, it should be the simplest answer.

Going with really simple, how about moth?

I'm working on that one now, this time with the keyword in the grid. So far, not good. :unsure:

Vanityfair and Chapterthirtytwo did not work for keys.

Still trying to figure out what the 1st clue means...

what have you tried as the key?

I'm guessing youv'e tried Moscow & thirty-two.

How about delicious or cache?

per the 2nd clue, it should be the simplest answer.

Going with really simple, how about moth?

I'm working on that one now, this time with the keyword in the grid. So far, not good. :unsure:

I've tried keyword moth, with keyword in the gride, with keyword not in the grid, with cipher text vertical, with cipher text horizontal. Don't know what else to try. If 32 is significant, and you placed the cipher text vertical, 128 / 32 = 4-letter keyword.

Heck, I don't know. I think I'll be going to bed again without getting any farther.

[Vanityfair and Chapterthirtytwo did not work for keys.

Still trying to figure out what the 1st clue means...

Mr. Anthus and I have been working on this together since yesterday. We too are using the same cipher. Here are the keys that I've tried so far -- all with no luck:

geocoin

moth

thirtytwo

group

brady

please

answer

playfair

pyramid

peace

fairplay

fish

goldfish

luck

puzzle

promise

london

william

thackeray

gocaching

micro

ammo

ammocan

virtual

greekcalends

calendar

gogeocaching

multi

iomoth

delicious cache

gps

garmin

magellan

mystery

traditional

Groundspeak

I've tried both moscw and mscow for all of the above.

Mrs. Anthus

It is possible that what we get out of the grid is ROT encoded...

I've tried using that on each "solution" I've come up with, since my solutions have all been gibberish! Unfortunately, that has only resulted in more gibberish.

Well, I should say I've been trying ROT-13.

Would ROT 32 be the same at ROT-6?

or 3+2=5, so maybe ROT-5...

When Vanity Fair came up yesterday someone mentioned mirrors, as in a vanity mirror. Look in a mirror - words are backwards.

If we assume either of these are correct - moscw and mscow - could they instead be wcsom or wocsm? Not sure if anyone tried them that way, or for that matter any of the keywords backwards, but I did scroll the thread earlier today looking for all the ciphers mentioned and did not see mention of it. I still only have a partial list of the ciphers. High School Musical 2 got the better of me tonight. :unsure:

After midnight here, can't keep my eyes open any longer......

Been logging todays finds, and working on grids, logging finds, running cipher text through Rot 1-25. cussing at the computer.

I probably would have kept this pattern up if you hadent posted the time... now I'm tired too! :unsure:

Luck to those on the west coast, and down in OZ....

edit for spelling....

Edited by SCBrian

i like the idea of bacon's cipher, which is simple and easy. i tried breaking it into consonents are A and vowels are B, and i get

gcalw

cyaac

rabga

aabay

ceeab

basically gibberish, enless it is encoded further.

just a thought.

i tried using this with MOSCW on either side, but the letters duplicate too much, so it doesnt work i dont think

When Vanity Fair came up yesterday someone mentioned mirrors, as in a vanity mirror. Look in a mirror - words are backwards.

If we assume either of these are correct - moscw and mscow - could they instead be wcsom or wocsm? Not sure if anyone tried them that way, or for that matter any of the keywords backwards, but I did scroll the thread earlier today looking for all the ciphers mentioned and did not see mention of it. I still only have a partial list of the ciphers. High School Musical 2 got the better of me tonight. :unsure:

Maybe it means the alphabet is backwards in the square??

WOW! Just caught up and read this thread. Great contest moscow32!!!

I think my head is going to explode just from reading all 6 pages of this thread!! (Or maybe it is the headache I have).

About to head out for a belated birthday dinner, so if my headache's gone when I get home I may jump in and join the fun :unsure:

In the mean time - good luck everyone!

I know it has something to do with 3 and 2.... It was a tip to me to examine the roman numerals in 32, XXXII, which is a group of 3 and a group of 2, so that has to be something, just clueless as to what!

I can't do it anymore, lol! I've stretched my little pea brain as far as it can stretch, unfortunately I think that 2 kids, 3 cats, a dog, a husband, and another baby on the way has just sapped too many brain cells, lol!

I'm still checking on it now and then, but I don't think I'll ever get it :unsure:

Moscow, da.mne.d good puzzle, hats off to you! I do NOT ever want to try to do a puzzle cache of yours if they are all this hard, lol! I am truly impressed!

Not to mention disappointed since I really wanted those little fishies, lol!

We WENT caching, lol! A 4 step multi was completed today, but we still can't figure out the puzzle :unsure:

Alms, alms for the poor *holding hands out in a begging posture for a hint*

I found a 4 stage multi also, but I had to phone a friend on 2 of the steps. I couldn't find any of the stages, just the final!

Can I have extra bonus points for the phone a friend? Pretty please?

You totally get Double extra bonus points for the phone-a-friend help. I'd probably still be out there!

How about another clue, since LadyBee4T earned double extra bonus points:

Gurer vf ab xrl va gur tevq! Ab frpbaq qrpelcgvba vf erdhverq!

With apologies to Anthus.

I know it has something to do with 3 and 2.... It was a tip to me to examine the roman numerals in 32, XXXII, which is a group of 3 and a group of 2, so that has to be something, just clueless as to what!

I can't do it anymore, lol! I've stretched my little pea brain as far as it can stretch, unfortunately I think that 2 kids, 3 cats, a dog, a husband, and another baby on the way has just sapped too many brain cells, lol!

I'm still checking on it now and then, but I don't think I'll ever get it :unsure:

Moscow, da.mne.d good puzzle, hats off to you! I do NOT ever want to try to do a puzzle cache of yours if they are all this hard, lol! I am truly impressed!

Not to mention disappointed since I really wanted those little fishies, lol!

The tip was more to just convert your roman numerals to a number.

I hope you don't really give up. It's meant to be fun, not frustrating, but I know that line can be pretty easy to cross. :(

Been logging todays finds, and working on grids, logging finds, running cipher text through Rot 1-25. cussing at the computer.

I probably would have kept this pattern up if you hadent posted the time... now I'm tired too! :unsure:

edit for spelling....

Should you ever need a good Caeser Shift (or ROT 1-25) website, this is my all time favorite:

http://www.antilles.k12.vi.us/math/cryptotut/caesar4.htm

It runs all of the shifts at once.

I probably would have kept this pattern up if you hadent posted the time... now I'm tired too! :cool:

edit for spelling....

Should you ever need a good Caeser Shift (or ROT 1-25) website, this is my all time favorite:

http://www.antilles.k12.vi.us/math/cryptotut/caesar4.htm

It runs all of the shifts at once.

Thanks, I'll bookmark that one!

The clue deciphers to:

There is no key in the grid! No second decryption is required!

I think we may have been overthinking it

This seems to be what we are looking at. All we need is a keyword

Crack the Ciphers

by Jim Gillogly

Here's your chance to crack ciphers similar to those Bletchley Park's codebreakers faced during World War II. Below, we present three ciphers of different levels of difficulty, from easiest to most challenging. Cryptanalyst Jim Gillogly created them using the Playfair, Double Playfair, and Double Transposition ciphers, respectively. In the opening paragraph for each challenge, we link to instructions regarding each cipher, which should help you along. The instructions link to hints, which in turn link to each cipher's solution.

Over a fortnight in November 1999, we offered a contest to see if anyone could crack any or all of the three ciphers. We deliberately made the contest short to give viewers a sense of urgency similar to that felt by the codebreakers of Bletchley Park. In the end, during those two weeks, no one succeeded in cracking Ciphers 2 and 3, and only four entrants managed to break Cipher 1. (See the Hall of Fame to learn who the winners are, how they went about cracking the cipher, and what Jim Gillogly thought of their procedure.) We hope that the level of difficulty will only encourage you to try these challenging ciphers on your own time. Good luck!

Cipher #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Col. Tiltman, Bletchley Park

This message was received by an intercept station in Scotland. The frequency and format indicate that it is a most urgent message from one of our agents who landed a week ago in Norway. His controllers have been unable to read it. Although it clearly uses his backup cipher, the Playfair, the keys assigned to him do not work. We cannot reach him before his normal scheduled transmission in two weeks, so we urgently request that you attempt to decrypt this and let us know the contents. In case it helps, he is carrying materials to assist a previously dropped team in their work regarding the Norsk Hydro facility at Rjukan. His recognition code should appear in the message: It is "beware ice weasels." If he is operating under duress, he should include the phrase "red penguin frenzy." He will use "STOP" between sentences and "END" at the end.

Received message:

VYTES YEDLU TERVL FNVUH DWARD LCFFB SDEWN PXKIC

FTREO LKALZ YLSLT OBKEV LYARM KRBOD NALDY PLAET

OLQAD FHSFZ WNAID SMURU OLHRY LLOTW FYLDI CVLUS

VSSFZ YLUNF FXLKT GBCDO BFALE WRPFY WLHUL DARLI

TFLAB FFZCY FUUFB GXXXX

Playfair instructions

Cipher #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Col. Tiltman, Bletchley Park

This message was intercepted yesterday at a listening post near Dover. Its frequency and indicators suggest similarities to previously broken communications intended for saboteurs in Britain. Earlier messages in this format have been in English using the Double Playfair system. They used "STOP" between sentences and "MESSAGE ENDS" at the end. Unfortunately, we can make no further guesses about the content. The earlier messages have occasionally re-used Playfair squares; keywords used recently include DUNDEEMARMALADE, YORKMINSTER, BRIGHTONROCK, and BLARNEYSTONE. Previous messages suggest they are planning a coordinated sabotage effort later this year, so if you could crack this within a fortnight we would be most grateful.

Received message:

TYINP KPQOT YENSO IYOBO YRAKK SLSPP ZCDOA YSLPO

MXMNP PNXPT YCITT YQYBO ZRBIG MPLSE ZKCTX RCRQG

LEIKC RDMPP RTBNX WYWQG MDAYT GFVMF XEYSL LQNII

GIWRQ IGFEV NGDNN IOBDT MDPTT YXNKB UXEMW PPKPW

ST

Double Playfair instructions

Cipher #3

To: The Coders of Grendon

Ladies:

We received the attached message yesterday from agent Madeleine. As you know, her situation in Paris is precarious, and she has had to carry her wireless set with her everywhere. This message may have been sent in haste, as we have been unable to decipher it. Based on her poem and schedule I believe she should have used MAHATUNDILA and CULLATINDILA as her double transposition keys, but these do not result in a correct decryption. Please try the usual variations -- keys in wrong order, columns interchanged, one key left off, and so on -- and let me know as soon as possible if you find the solution. If we cannot read it within a fortnight, we must ask for a retransmission, which, of course, will increase her risk substantially. No undecipherables!

Received message:

TADTN TPLIE RCENI SIITD ONMUN MTNSO LDMMB ENROH

SETLV EACES BCSNT OVDAR YSIST ENNES SFAOE SFNAT

UWHSO FLSGR TLUDG ETONI CRGLD ELIIR AETTP DHUDD

IOPHW FISOT ISOIV EDSSN TWOAO RESSA RSHEU NATNS

GOSRP RDIFN ESEEO ADUPT IRRSE PPRHM EMHVU NOIRO

DSEFR MCIIE

Double-transposition instructions

Jim Gillogly designs and implements cryptographic software. He recently made headlines for solving a cipher on a sculpture at CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia, and he also designed an attack on the Enigma cipher that can be executed without knowing any plaintext. (Wartime cracks required some knowledge of the text of one of the messages in the day's key.) Gillogly earned a Ph.D. in computer science from Carnegie-Mellon University, is a recent past president of the American Cryptogram Association, and has sung in Carnegie Hall with his chamber music group.

Crack the Ciphers | Send a Coded Message | A Simple Cipher

Are Web Transactions Safe? | Mind of a Codebreaker | How the Enigma Works

Resources | Teacher's Guide | Transcript | Site Map | Decoding Nazi Secrets Home

Editor's Picks | Previous Sites | Join Us/E-mail | TV/Web Schedule

About NOVA | Teachers | Site Map | Shop | Jobs | Search | To print

PBS Online | NOVA Online | WGBH

© | Updated November 2000

for anyone who needs it:

AGTSFAPEJIIFUSHGCAEASSDDFFOOSNMTHBJDCNZMSCTZRNSRFAKBDDPYPTIS

should be the text decoded using moscw x moscw on the square with no keyword.

(please double check me at this point as I have about 10 dozen strings of letters)

Well, I got that one, too (who knows how many attempts ago). But the latest clue says "no second decryption is required".

for anyone who needs it:

AGTSFAPEJIIFUSHGCAEASSDDFFOOSNMTHBJDCNZMSCTZRNSRFAKBDDPYPTIS

should be the text decoded using moscw x moscw on the square with no keyword.

(please double check me at this point as I have about 10 dozen strings of letters)

Well, I got that one, too (who knows how many attempts ago). But the latest clue says "no second decryption is required".

Yeah. That was my take on it too - no second decryption. He said no key but he didn't say that the alphabet in the square wasn't scrambled or shifted in some way or even reverse order. I tried reverse order and that didn't work. So, I'm stumped again!

Hints from Moscow 32 to date:

Using a Caeserian Shift Cipher, the first hint translates as:

"We of peaceful London City have never beheld—and please"

That is the opening line of Chapter 32 in Vanity Fair.

I'll make some points which shouldn't be considered as hints.

1- The answer has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching.

2- Some of you are on the right path. Keep on going!

3- The game isn't Identify the Moth... It's solve the puzzle.

The next hint:

the cipher has been named lex parsimon iaej

(lex parsimoniae (Occam's razor)

There is no key in the grid! No second decryption is required!

The tip was more to just convert your roman numerals to a number.

I wonder if Moscow32 considers Columnar transportation a decryption?

Use the square to get a string, then play around with the string in columns?

Yep, I believe columnar transposition is part of it. Keyword spelled out correctly, keyword with letters in alphabetical order to transpose the colunns.

Well this is our third day and my husband and I are pretty much at an end. We have tried all the deciphers metioned. The one that we are pretty sure it is I can not get it to work. This is a hard puzzle. So when ever someone figures it out let me know. I have to stop now and do my college work before I get a zero for the assignment.

AGTSFAPEJIIFUSHGCAEASSDDFFOOSNMTHBJDCNZMSCTZRNSRFAKBDDPYPTIS (moscw x moscw, abc)

ztghuzkvqrrufhstxzvznnwwullhmngsyqwxmamhxgaimsiuzpywocmuwkbkgrh (moscw x moscw, zyx)

What cipher are you using for this? The simplest cipher is the Playfair cipher. Perhaps clue #2 comes in here with the keyword/number being 32 (thirtytwo) or Vanity? I know clue #3 mentions no key, so I am pretty confused right now.

Edited by surteb

AGTSFAPEJIIFUSHGCAEASSDDFFOOSNMTHBJDCNZMSCTZRNSRFAKBDDPYPTIS (moscw x moscw, abc)

ztghuzkvqrrufhstxzvznnwwullhmngsyqwxmamhxgaimsiuzpywocmuwkbkgrh (moscw x moscw, zyx)

What cipher are you using for this? The simplest cipher is the Playfair cipher. Perhaps clue #2 comes in here with the keyword/number being 32 (thirtytwo) or Vanity? I know clue #3 mentions no key, so I am pretty confused right now.

I've tried several variations to get the string above and the other string mentioned as well. I can get a few of the letters but not the whole string so also asking the basic question - how did you arrive at the above?

I've been thinking perhaps we should all meet in geocoin chat, create a chat room within there to discuss this (I think that can be done), solve it and then let moscow32 auction of the set of coins for a worthy charity - or even to help a fellow forum member like 007BigD. :cool:

I've been thinking perhaps we should all meet in geocoin chat, create a chat room within there to discuss this (I think that can be done), solve it and then let moscow32 auction of the set of coins for a worthy charity - or even to help a fellow forum member like 007BigD. :cool:

I like that idea. I think you are all circling closer and closer to the answer.

I've got one more hint that I can give when you are ready.

I've tried several variations to get the string above and the other string mentioned as well. I can get a few of the letters but not the whole string so also asking the basic question - how did you arrive at the above?

I second that idea.

I like that idea. I think you are all circling closer and closer to the answer.

I've got one more hint that I can give when you are ready.

I think after this puzzle I am circling closer to the drain.

I think most people are using this, which makes sense since the cipher is composed of these letters.

MOSCW

MABCDE

OFGHIK

SLMNOP

CQRSTU

WVWZYZ

Now the question is do we have it in the right order? With the ADFGXV cipher, you put it in alphabetical order, so it would be CMOSW instead of MOSCW.

With a Playfair cipher, you wouldn't end up with pairs of letters that are doubles (like MM or CC) So that makes me think the "Vanity Fair" reference isn't to the Playfair cipher, but more to the "mirror" aspect, just like the picture of the moth.

Just rambling :cool:

Not so rambling CnJ - kind of where I have been.

Funny Mr.Exlporer. A chuckle well needed. :cool: The posse is cirlcing. Hmmm - is that a hint moscow32 - circling? I'm probably just seeing things in the shadows. :cool:

I will say one thing - there are some pretty smart folks on this forum. I clearly need to learn a lot more about ciphers and such. This has been a great education so far but I need to wrap more of what's left of my brain around this. I need a good cipher for dummies book. Cachers not only know where to hide the body, they make the best brain candy - puzzles. :cool:

I second that idea.

We could use geocoinchat...i'm sure it's empty right now.

http://www.geocoindesign.com/chat2/flashchat.php