Ever had someone steal your location?

jindivik

I had a good idea planned out nice series of caches to go in a park up here in the north west of England....

I checked the website for the unnamed park (not to give way any usernames) to see if they would mind me placing a few caches nearby...suggesting the wardens check my hides so it doesn't interfere with the wildlife....etc...

Anyway, it looks like someone has beaten me to it with a few traditionals there...i didn't get a reply to my email so was going to visit in person...thing whats really got me though is they they live in the SOUTH....London apparently and a maintenance trip would be over 150 miles!

theres only 3 that they have placed but i had 5 or 6 in mind and i don't want to crowd the place...just seems a waste that my idea has been wasted on 2 micros and a "small" when i had a few ammo boxes lined up and some puzzles to boot!

I had a good idea planned out nice series of caches to go in a park up here in the north west of England....

I checked the website for the unnamed park (not to give way any usernames) to see if they would mind me placing a few caches nearby...suggesting the wardens check my hides so it doesn't interfere with the wildlife....etc...

Anyway, it looks like someone has beaten me to it with a few traditionals there...i didn't get a reply to my email so was going to visit in person...thing whats really got me though is they they live in the SOUTH....London apparently and a maintenance trip would be over 150 miles!

theres only 3 that they have placed but i had 5 or 6 in mind and i don't want to crowd the place...just seems a waste that my idea has been wasted on 2 micros and a "small" when i had a few ammo boxes lined up and some puzzles to boot!

He who hessitates misses out.

It is possible that the cache placer works or frequents that area, just because they live 150miles away doesnt mean that they are unable to maintain the caches. I often work 1400Km (860mile) away from my home, and Im there for 10 days, and home for 4.

Why not contact the cache placer to ask if they would like to meet up with you and you could offer to maintain the caches and discuss your thoughts and plans for the puzzle etc.

It doesnt hurt to ask, and at worst, you could just look for another park to place your series.

It's just like a parking lot. If a car is not in a space it is open game. (Excluding ones for certain people i.e. handicapped, take-out, ect.). Sorry that the locations are now being used, is there another park that would work with what you had in mind?

Parking lots have a .10 mile rule? Bummer dude.

Totally.

It's just like a parking lot. If a car is not in a space it is open game. (Excluding ones for certain people i.e. handicapped, take-out, ect.). Sorry that the locations are now being used, is there another park that would work with what you had in mind?

Totally.

Ya. But I hear the Wal-Mart reviewers let you park wherever you want.

Totally.

Ya. But I hear the Wal-Mart reviewers let you park wherever you want.

Whoa, wait a minute. I'm beginning to see a pattern. If you think about it, it is the reviewers who make it happen.

I hear somebody knocking on the door. I gotta go.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Yes, I was having trouble with my GPS and so it took me a few days to try and get the coordinates for a waypoint. Got home from the second time and looked at the GC website. Darn if there wasn't a cache that sounded like it was in the same area I just came back from. Dark and starting to rain I jumped in the car to check it out. I was right, it was right by the area I had been scouting out. Well at least I could get FTF, or so I thought. It got even darker and rained harder so I had to leave.

The worst of it is I would have sworn that someone was sitting there in a car watching me wander around with my GPS in hand while I was trying to take the coordinates. No doubt it was the little stinker who beat me to it.

Ah well he's a local cacher who has placed a lot of caches. Gives me something to find.

Edited by Luckless

I had this problem - Saw a local cache was archived, but liked the location, so I went and placed the start of a 5 step multi there, which tied in with the location and the name of the old cache. While i was placing it, another cache was published 300 feet away. No where even close - it required crossing a 6 lane highway on foot, or driving about a half mile to get to the new location - but of course, 300' is 300', so it was denied, and I had to move the cache to a place i wasn't as happy with, but would get approved.

Totally.

Yup - but then again, I know of one Wal-Mart that has 3 caches in the parking lot. Pretty sad, huh? haha - but then again, I just had an idea for a cache... hmmm...

I've had a number of people place caches in spots where I was planning a cache. I wouldn't consider it stealing because I don't own that spot. If somebody beat me to it, more power to him. Gives me another cache to find in a great area.

Not a getting started issue, so moving to the general forum

When I first started caching I made a list of cool places to eventually place a cache. I figured I should find around 100 caches or so (as suggested in other threads) before actually placing a cache. By the time I had found those 100 caches I realized that others had long ago had the same thougts as I had and had already placed caches in those locations. Disappointed? Sure, but not too badly. It just showed that my instincts regarding good places for caches were on the money. I simply had to find other places for caches. I was new to the hobby and others had been there before me. I was a bit disappointed but also came to realize that I had been naive. I didn't let it bother me. I was having way too much fun with my new hobby to let such a minor thing get to me. I simply had to think a little harder and find other places for my hides. I've had a lot of fun with geocaching and will have a lot more - both hiding and finding. Don't sweat the small stuff. :D

Yep, the best spots are all taken, no point putting out new ones.

I hope the OP really didn't mean to use the word "steal" as we typically don't own the locations that we place caches. The more people in this hobby the harder it will get, seems like there have been some stress related topics lately.

Last summer I got a couple caches ready to go, and before I could set them out one of the spots I wanted was filled.

This summer I set out a cache in another place, and got a nice E-mail from someone who had planned on putting a cache there! He had the cache page written up, and the cache box ready to go. Was just waiting till he could get out there and place it. His attitude seem to be a little disappointed, but, hey now he has a cache ready to hide somewhere else.

I'm sure this happens, maybe a lot, but never was there any mention of anyone "stealing" a spot. It just encourages me to work a little quicker when I find a good location. :P

I had this problem - Saw a local cache was archived, but liked the location, so I went and placed the start of a 5 step multi there, which tied in with the location and the name of the old cache. While i was placing it, another cache was published 300 feet away. No where even close - it required crossing a 6 lane highway on foot, or driving about a half mile to get to the new location - but of course, 300' is 300', so it was denied, and I had to move the cache to a place i wasn't as happy with, but would get approved.

Contact your reviewer and explain that the two locations are separated by the highway. It's possible that he may grant you an exemption.

Locally, there are two caches within a few hundred feet of another, but separated by what passes locally as a river.

I had a good idea planned out nice series of caches to go in a park up here in the north west of England.......

I've lost out on a few good spots because someone else was faster. Night Stalker lost out on a cache due to taking time to get permission from the NPS and then even though his cache was approved later, that interloping owner threw a hissy fit and the site archived Night Stalkers cache.

If you can prove (with pictures) that there is no way to confuse the two b/c of the 6 lane highway (I-79 or I-90???), they should be able to publish the cache...remember they are only guidelines, not law/rules written in stone.

If you can prove (with pictures) that there is no way to confuse the two b/c of the 6 lane highway (I-79 or I-90???), they should be able to publish the cache...remember they are only guidelines, not law/rules written in stone.

It's interchange road, not I79, but the old one was right where the two meet.

Remember, it's a saturation guideline, not a confusion guideline. Caches up and down the highway, one on each side, might make it hard to confuse them, but it's still saturation.

That being said, the reviewer does indeed have the ability to make an exception if one is warranted, but it depends on the situation.