Welcoming New Cachers

The recently revived "Why do cachers quit?" topic has got me thinking.

I have a lot of caches on my watchlist and often notice people will comment that a particular cache is their very first (or second, or third). I try to make a point of dropping them a note welcoming them to this crazy hobby and suggesting they check out the Maryland Geocaching Society (or their local group) or. sometimes, the Military Association of Geocaches since it is now a global group. I've found that getting to know other cachers has definitely added to my enjoyment of the hobby. Perhaps if folks get involved in the social aspect of geocaching, they'd be less likely to drop out after a short time.

Does anyone else do this?

<edit - wow, this is my 100th non-OT post>

Edited by DudleyGrunt

If I spot a new cacher in the area, especially if they have found (or DNFd) one of my caches I will send a welcome email. I'll let then know about the area's monthly gatherings and such and just say "Hi". Make even more a point of it if it someone from nearby Fort Jackson.

The recently revived "Why do cachers quit?" topic has got me thinking.

I have a lot of caches on my watchlist and often notice people will comment that a particular cache is their very first (or second, or third). I try to make a point of dropping them a note welcoming them to this crazy hobby and suggesting they check out the Maryland Geocaching Society (or their local group) or. sometimes, the Military Association of Geocaches since it is now a global group. I've found that getting to know other cachers has definitely added to my enjoyment of the hobby. Perhaps if folks get involved in the social aspect of geocaching, they'd be less likely to drop out after a short time.

Does anyone else do this?

<edit - wow, this is my 100th non-OT post>

That's a nice idea! Thank you!

BTW Congrats on the 100th non-OT post! I enjoy reading your posts.