Looking for lakes to swim in

Team MFR

Im having a friend come visit me in Carlsbad from London and he really wants to got to a lake that we can swim in. I've been desperately trying to find one but no luck so far. I thought of the devils punch bowl but as far as i know its dry by now. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I would really really apreciate it!

Than you

Eww! I took a boat ride on Lake Eerie once. (Port Clinton to Put-in-Bay.) Something about the fluorescent blue color told me that I did not want to swim there. I was told that is was due to asbestos particles washing down from mines near Lake Superior.

But! Always remember to abide by local laws and regulations. In New Jersey state parks you may only swim at beaches with lifeguards.

Well, theres Lake McKenzie on fraser Island,

http://squarebrain.net/images/fraser_island1142.jpg

or Lake Birrabean, also on Fraser Island.

http://www.fraserislandadventuretours.com....e_birrabean.jpg

or there is Lake Awoonga, near Gladstone.

http://www.reefadventureland.com.au/img/awoomba188.gif

And the fishing isnt too bad either.

http://www.echonews.com/pictures/12_08/spo...-%20fishing.JPG

Oh, sorry, wrong part of the world.

Cheers

Bundy

Edited by Bundyrumandcoke

Im having a friend come visit me in Carlsbad from London and he really wants to got to a lake that we can swim in. I've been desperately trying to find one but no luck so far. I thought of the devils punch bowl but as far as i know its dry by now. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I would really really apreciate it!

Than you

Did you ever wonder how many "Devils punch bowls" there are? Quite a few And that doesn't even include This one that I've personally visited.

Eww! I took a boat ride on Lake Eerie once. (Port Clinton to Put-in-Bay.) Something about the fluorescent blue color told me that I did not want to swim there. I was told that is was due to asbestos particles washing down from mines near Lake Superior.

But! Always remember to abide by local laws and regulations. In New Jersey state parks you may only swim at beaches with lifeguards.

My in-laws live near lake Erie. The shore is littered with lots of really disgusting debris including dead birds, fish and even a few dogs. I wouldn't swim in there if you paid me. Well maybe if you paid me enough I would, but I wouldn't like it.

My step-daughter on the other hand loved to swim in Erie. I always said that is why she has that glow about her.

Actually I hear it is much cleaner now than it was 30 years ago. I'd hate to see it back then. Yuk!

Given that Lake Erie and Lake Superior are a very longs ways from one another, I suspect that they were having a bit of fun with you.

Either way, when we were kids, we would ride are bikes to Angola on the Lake and swim in Lake Erie somewhat frequently. It was a ton of fun and not noticably polluted. Given the efforts to clean up the lake since then (and the general economic shift in the region), I'm sure that it is even cleaner now.

Not that this information is going to help the OP, who lives in a completely different area of the country.

(Did I notice someone from New Jersey bagging on how polluted the Lake is? How's that for irony? :( )

Than you

Hi Team!

You might have better luck with this in your regional forum. We are not sure what Carlsbad you are from but I'm pretty sure none of them are close to the lakes people are suggesting.

(Did I notice someone from New Jersey bagging on how polluted the Lake is? How's that for irony? laughing.gif )

I'm not sure why it's ironic. With the exception of a few urban lakes, most of the lakes in NJ are quite clean and swim able.

... and yet the state has a reputation as trashy; even more irony. :(

(Did I notice someone from New Jersey bagging on how polluted the Lake is? How's that for irony? laughing.gif )

I'm not sure why it's ironic. With the exception of a few urban lakes, most of the lakes in NJ are quite clean and swim able.

... and yet the state has a reputation as trashy; even more irony. :(

Trashy all right (taken from some of my NJ cache galleries)

1c41607a-dcfa-4f02-9fff-d7b7158e974e.jpg

9c5c64c1-d10a-4dd5-87bd-3901928702a6.jpg

642c245b-ebe3-4c32-9e8f-ee760046b049.jpg

d5b82cd8-7dcb-4085-893a-93569ee180f8.jpg

91287bce-8734-466c-9a87-525e85d4689e.jpg

Linden_Exxon_Refinery_1973_for_web.jpg

Oops

Edited by briansnat
.......and how exactly is this geocachig related?

It does seem more appropriate for the Off Topic forum doesn't it?

I have been wondering the same thing, as this is not only very off-topic, but a rather inane and banal request/thread in the first place, as all the OP needed to do is use Google or a regional map to find local lakes, wherever he or she lives. It is all the more odd, as normally the moderators are very aggressive about moving anything that seems remotely off-topic to the OT forum, and so I can only guess that the continued existence of this thread signals a deliberate shift in the policy of GC admins regarding the forums, and that such entirely-OT topics are now fair game for this Geocaching Topics forum.

... and yet the state has a reputation as trashy; even more irony. :blink:

Oops

Eh...You forgot to photoshop the power plant out in the last one but the others are real fine work! Almost makes me want to go Jersey.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

... and yet the state has a reputation as trashy; even more irony. :blink:

Oops

Eh...You forgot to photoshop the power plant out in the last one but the others are real fine work! Almost makes me want to go Jersey.

I particularly like how he removed most of the brown from the clouds. :blink: