Logging A TB in & out for the miles.

babest51

There have been times when I have had a TB in my posession that I have taken it with me on a business trip with the intent of dropping it off in some distant cache adding considerable miles (1,000+) to the TB's journey. But sometimes I don't always have time to find a suitable cache: work gets in the way, caches are too small, or the dreaded DNF. In one instance I carried a TB from Texas, to Calif, back to Tx, to Boston, TX, Utah & finally gave up and dropped it back in TX. But, in a couple of these places I logged a micro or small cache that was not large enough for the TB. Is it acceptable/ethical to log the TB in then out of one of these small caches to note the journey even though the TB never actually entered the cache? How about if I wave the TB over the cache a few times?

Edited by babest51
Is it acceptable/ethical to log the TB in then out of one of these small caches to note the journey even though the TB never actually entered the cache? How about if I wave the TB over the cache a few times?

I would suggest that the answer is yes, but I would add you should have found the cache of course on your trip with the bug so it is an honest visit.

Regards

Andrew

Is it acceptable/ethical to log the TB in then out of one of these small caches to note the journey even though the TB never actually entered the cache? How about if I wave the TB over the cache a few times?

I would suggest that the answer is yes, but I would add you should have found the cache of course on your trip with the bug so it is an honest visit.

Regards

Andrew

Exactly. As long as the bug was there go ahead and do the dip.

Regards

Andrew

Exactly. As long as the bug was there go ahead and do the dip.

"Dipping" can be a good thing. For me, I just want to see that my trackables are traveling. I'm not going to be the one who is the figurative "Cache Police" that goes back and makes sure that the container it visited was big enough for the actual item.

i dont think most bug owners want thier bug dipped..mite as well take the bug with you to work and log the miles traveled there..i think most people want thier bug to be legit from cache ''stay'' to cache ''stay'' if all you want is miles send your tb around the world in an envolope back to yourself....

I just gained possession of a Red Jeep, and dipped in my own closest hidden cache. This Jeep is now over 600 miles from home, and has been traded it's whole young life, so my impression was that the owner would love to track it's miles. Soon, this Jeep will be headed southward again, and I wouldn't want to think it made the trip this far for naught.

I love seeing my bugs and coins dipped. I like seeing them travel and I know they are moving, not just sitting in some forlorn cache somewhere.

That being said, if a cacher has held onto one for a long while, dipping it as they go, then I will send a nice email asking that they drop it somewhere so somone else can have a turn at moving it along.

I recently had a bug travel throughout the Midwest with a family. He made many great stops, but his "ride" also mentioned visits to other cool places, but didn't log a find/drop in those areas. It would really have been cool to see where my TB had actually been, even if just to get his toes wet. So my vote is to dip! Dip early and dip often!

Hi everyone, my first post in here :-)

This is relevant to this thread by the way.

I launched my very first travel bug a few weeks ago. I live in South Wales United Kingdom and I placed it in a cache in Alaska while on holiday there (vacation for all you the other side of the pond :-).

I recently noticed that a lot of people 'dip' their TB's somewhere near home before they take it somewhere else to log the miles. I didn't do this so the milage for my TB starts in Alaska and not at my home in the UK.

Can I alter the Origin of my TB to show the true miles, even though the TB has been moved once already?

Regards,

Matt.

There have been times when I have had a TB in my posession that I have taken it with me on a business trip with the intent of dropping it off in some distant cache adding considerable miles (1,000+) to the TB's journey. But sometimes I don't always have time to find a suitable cache: work gets in the way, caches are too small, or the dreaded DNF. In one instance I carried a TB from Texas, to Calif, back to Tx, to Boston, TX, Utah & finally gave up and dropped it back in TX. But, in a couple of these places I logged a micro or small cache that was not large enough for the TB. Is it acceptable/ethical to log the TB in then out of one of these small caches to note the journey even though the TB never actually entered the cache? How about if I wave the TB over the cache a few times?

In order for it to be legal, you must wave the TB over the cache six times while reciting the following chant six times:

"OWAH .... TAGOO .... SIAM"

:P

I am in a travel bug race and I dip my racer everywhere. I don't see what the big deal is as long as the bug is with you. I took tons of pictures of my bug just to prove I was there.

I also wouldn't care if one person took my bug all over the place as long as they kept it moving. You can think of it as hogging the bug or you can realize that some day that person is going to drop off the bug just as if they had logged it one place and then dropped it off. Either way, what does it matter as long as the bug isn't staying dormant.

I just picked up a travel bug in Blythe, CA and carried that thing all the way across the country to FL, NY, MA, IL, WY, NV, and back to CA. I took pictures of the bug the whole way and the owner from England loved it. Sure you could be upset that I hogged it the whole way or you can realize I had a great time with that bug and added a lot to its life in 18 days and on a few days when I let Torus the Bull go (if I do, I kind of grew attached!), he won't be any worse off than had I just logged him once and let him go because he still will get a chance to travel after I let him go.

Just my two cents. What I really want to talk about are people who grab trackables in your inventory without giving you at least 24 hours to log them. :cry:

I took 2 TBs to China on a business trip last year. When I got there the only cache in town was a micro. I did find the cache and sign the log, then logged the TBs in and back out, took some photos of them at some scenic local spots, and brought them back home with me and dropped them in the US. I don't feel like I cheated anyone. The TB's did go to China, they were with me when I found the cache, and they went with me sightseeing all over the city. When I went to India earlier this year I took a TB with me. I did find a cache large enough to hold the TB, so I dropped it there and left it.

I took 2 TBs to China on a business trip last year. When I got there the only cache in town was a micro. I did find the cache and sign the log, then logged the TBs in and back out, took some photos of them at some scenic local spots, and brought them back home with me and dropped them in the US. I don't feel like I cheated anyone. The TB's did go to China, they were with me when I found the cache, and they went with me sightseeing all over the city. When I went to India earlier this year I took a TB with me. I did find a cache large enough to hold the TB, so I dropped it there and left it.

There you go. Good job.