Time to find?

I hid my very first cache yesterday - it was approved within an hour, so it's been available to view for about 24 hours now. I'm now anxiously sitting here waiting for someone to find it!

How long, on average, does it take for a fairly easy suburban cache to get found? The longer it's taking, the more nervous I'm getting!

Lee

I'm sure it won't take long. I had a FTF last night. I had the notification email at 8.12PM and found it about 30 mins later. It was 5.4 miles away and there was already a pair of cachers there when I arrived. :blink:

You never know, it may have been found already and the finder just hasn't got around to logging it yet.

We hid a cache on Sunday (our third). Since it didn't get published until about 10pm and considering that it was a multi involving, we estimated, about 3 miles of walking we didn't expect any finders too soon.

I was astonished when I read me email on Monday morning to find someone had found it at 7.15am that morning!

Such dedication.

I don't think you will be waiting much longer ... around here (Berks) new ones get found pretty darned quick :rolleyes: Yours might have been found already, but just not logged yet.

Well, no joy as yet. I've been to check to see if it's safe (I've been fretting about it all day), and it's still there, ready for a nice juicy first to find! Come on, people!

Lee

Here in Wirral youhave to be quicker than Philpamandrob's car... that's all I can say... that guy thinks nothing of getting up at ridiculous o clock for an FTF that gts published at 1am!!!

On average I think most of my caches have been found within about an hour of them being published.

We hid a cache on Sunday (our third). Since it didn't get published until about 10pm and considering that it was a multi involving, we estimated, about 3 miles of walking we didn't expect any finders too soon.

I was astonished when I read me email on Monday morning to find someone had found it at 7.15am that morning!

Such dedication.

No I am just a nutter!!! :rolleyes: It was good timing my work takes me all over that day I was in my office in Macclesfield so local for me although I was a bit sweaty b :D y the time I got to work. Good job I have my own office ;)

PS I was the one who found Claret Zip's recent cache.

Edited by gushoneybun1

It depends on the type of cache. I put up a series of drive by caches last year, most of which were FTF'd by Wisewol within a couple of hours overnight. This was followed by a deluge of finds over a short period which then shrinks to the usual steady trickle. But it can be different for puzzle caches. I had a new Bham city centre multi / puzzle cache go up over the weekend. FTF was 3-4 hours. 2TF was day 3. 3TF ...? Plenty of people asking questions though, which keeps me amused :rolleyes:

Bah! It's been 30 hours now! Perhaps I've hidden it too well - I was quite proud of myself, although I still think it's quite an easy one.

Its natural to worry, we are still failry new and when any of ours are not found for a few weeks I wonder have we done something wrong! I picked up 1/2 a dozen FTF drivebys earlier this year that had been online for over a day before we saw them! We found some then stopped, there were more but felt like we were being greedy and pushing in no chance of leaving any now :rolleyes:

But it can be different for puzzle caches. I had a new Bham city centre multi / puzzle cache go up over the weekend. FTF was 3-4 hours. 2TF was day 3. 3TF ...? Plenty of people asking questions though, which keeps me amused ;)

:rolleyes::D soooooooooooo glad to have provided you with some amusement while attempting your caches in B'ham city centre Mumbo! A new one? Well roll on Crufts when I'm in your manor again!

Just to say that you have nothing to worry about with your cache but below is a quick summary so that you can have some feedback

1. The coords were well within the limitations of my GPS in my view excellent.
  2. The 1 star for terrain I think is correct although the first wheelchair user to the cache may like to confirm that.
  3. The contents of the cache were excellent far better than most caches I have been to.
  4. The 1.5 star difficulty is probably correct, the cache is well hidden, if a couple of cachers struggle then you could bump it up to 2, but 1.5 is good as a start.

This is being picky so you may want to ignore it.

The only problem you may get is in the autumn it may become visible from one of the footpaths and attract unwanted attention ( As I left the site I could just about make it out through the leaves once I knew exactly where it was). if it it does start to become visible a plastic bag will probably make it look unimportant and not worth the trip to investigate

The main thing is this was a very good first cache and I look forward to doing others of yours, especially if you put out some harder ones (I am a difficulty star tart)

PS couldn't find the €20 note ;)

Edited by garyhoney

Just to say that you have nothing to worry about with your cache but below is a quick summary so that you can have some feedback

1. The coords were well within the limitations of my GPS in my view excellent.
  2. The 1 star for terrain I think is correct although the first wheelchair user to the cache may like to confirm that.
  3. The contents of the cache were excellent far better than most caches I have been to.
  4. The 1.5 star difficulty is probably correct, the cache is well hidden, if a couple of cachers struggle then you could bump it up to 2, but 1.5 is good as a start.

This is being picky so you may want to ignore it.

The only problem you may get is in the autumn it may become visible from one of the footpaths and attract unwanted attention ( As I left the site I could just about make it out through the leaves once I knew exactly where it was). if it it does start to become visible a plastic bag will probably make it look unimportant and not worth the trip to investigate

The main thing is this was a very good first cache and I look forward to doing others of yours, especially if you put out some harder ones (I am a difficulty star tart)

PS couldn't find the €20 note ;)

Brilliant! Thanks very much for your feedback - I'm glad you thought it was worth the effort, and I hope the coin attracts another visitor shortly. :o

I'm aware that foliage loss in the autumn might be a problem - if this makes it too prominent, I've got a couple of nearby backup locations in mind if necessary. Certainly at the moment, the foliage cover makes it pretty much invisible if you're not actually looking for it, but I'll have to see how it looks later on.

Lee

if it it does start to become visible a plastic bag will probably make it look unimportant and not worth the trip to investigate

Po-faced note ...

Plastic bags can be harmful to wildlife and are unsightly so are generally thought to be a bad idea. Also they do little to keep the cache dry as they just retain the water that inevitably gets inside them.

if it it does start to become visible a plastic bag will probably make it look unimportant and not worth the trip to investigate

Po-faced note ...

Plastic bags can be harmful to wildlife and are unsightly so are generally thought to be a bad idea. Also they do little to keep the cache dry as they just retain the water that inevitably gets inside them.

In my particular case, a lick of paint on the box would probably be the best means of camouflage.

Po-faced note ...

Oops you are quite right, I should have given it some thought before typing away.

In my particular case, a lick of paint on the box would probably be the best means of camouflage.

Good idea. I got some spray paint cans from a DIY shop and they can be used to make a fabbo camouflage effect.

As an alternative to painting, which can be a bit tricky on flexible plastic boxes, I use woodland camo pattern 'Duck' tape which sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. It's also waterproof and very effective. I found it on Ebay at a couple of fine English quids for a roll.

As an alternative to painting, which can be a bit tricky on flexible plastic boxes, I use woodland camo pattern 'Duck' tape which sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. It's also waterproof and very effective. I found it on Ebay at a couple of fine English quids for a roll.

Ooh! Camo tape would be perfect. I'll have to try the Imperial War Museum shop - they have a major camouflage exhibition going on at the moment. :laughing: